1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

King Suspension or Fox Suspension feedback from owners

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by tnine, May 24, 2020.

1. May 24, 2020 at 7:18 PM
    tnine

tnine [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road
    ADS External Reservoir Shocks Deaver Leaf Springs 35" Tires C4 Fabrication Bumper Warn Winch Baja design LP9
    Hey all,
    I have a 2016 Tundra I'm going to replace the lift with either Fox or King suspension. I know I'm going to do the following.

Method 701 18" Wheels
    Toyo AT III 295/70R18 Wheels (I'd like to do 37x12.5 in a couple of years after I upgrade my control arms and the kids are a bit older)

Right now, I have a 3 year old and a 7 month old. We're not doing nearly as much remote camping/off-roading as we used to, but we intend to start going again more next year when our youngest is older. As a result, I want a really high-quality suspension setup I can adjust for my daily driving of 90%, and occasional towing for camping and off-roading to our destinations. I live in CO, so some of the roads we take are pretty gnarly. I'm limited on trail selection by the truck's size, so we're not really doing any extreme trails.

I've done quite a bit of research on King vs Fox.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/king-suspension-w-adjustable.66608/#post-1748595
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/fox-vs-king-whats-the-difference.67078/#post-1747155
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MsKf1lIYI0&feature=youtu.be

If I go with Fox, I'll be doing this front and rear.

https://www.ridefox.com/product.php...Toyota&model=Tundra+&year=2016&position=Front

https://www.ridefox.com/product.php...=Toyota&model=Tundra+&year=2016&position=Rear

I'll be re-using the existing SPC Upper Control Arms that came on the truck in the previous lift with the Bilstein 5100s. I'll be also swapping my springs out to these.

https://sdhqoffroad.com/collections...d-4wd-2-lift-medium-duty-rear-leaf-spring-kit

Alternatively, at that price point, I'm wondering if I should be looking at the King suspension options. Something similar to this. What are your experiences with Fox and King? Does anyone have a strong preference for one over the other? If so, why? Given how much cash this mod is going to cost, I'm really doing a LOT of research before I pull the trigger. I want to get this right the first time, so I'm not wasting money and time changing my setup later.

Thanks in advance!
    Todd

2. May 24, 2020 at 7:47 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    AccuTune Offroad likes this.
  3. May 26, 2020 at 5:24 AM
    Ry24000

Ry24000 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Carson, WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SR5 TRD offroad Quicksand
    Debadge, ARE z series top, Ironman Foam cell pro 3" lift, SPC UCA's, ICON vector 5 & Toyo ATIII 285 75R 17, Warn 9.5XP mounted in a Victory Blitz bumper. GTR 1000LM+XTR LP Reverse Light System
    I don't have experience with either, but I did stay at a Holiday inn last night. I have the same questions as you! I have been on the fence close to a year now trying to choose one of the "High Dollar" brands over the other. The beast is right Accutune compare the two and it seems that Fox is better for endurance. As far a performance I would say pick the one you can get the best deal. Both brands obviously make great shocks. After all your not going to know the difference of one over the other anyway unless you drop another $3K to change shocks and find out! Which is probably why people are not jumping to respond to this thread. I doubt many "Tundra" owners actually changed from Fox 2.5 to King 2.5 in a Tundra! Maybe Taco to Tundra, maybe and that would be an apples to orange.
    What's wrong with the setup you have now? Your truck with 34's and 5100 should get you anywhere a long wheel base truck can go!
    Just my 2cents

Krezz likes this.
  4. May 26, 2020 at 5:46 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
  5. May 26, 2020 at 5:46 AM
    Midway

Midway New Member

Member:
    You really can't go wrong with these two. What swayed me with KING, was their customer service. Initially, I made several inquiries to both, via phone & email, and hands down, for me, KING, seemed 100% engaged. Personally, I need to know a company has my back if something should go wrong. I'm not saying FOX is anything less, just that this was my personal experience.

I opted for KING 2.5 front coilovers, and 2.5s in the rear, with Resi.

All included for 3200 (Labor as well) (Los Angeles)

IMG_20200117_191502_774.jpg

6. May 26, 2020 at 6:01 AM
    jc153

jc153 Speed-ish Glamper

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tundra Ltd CM 4x4
    TC Front Long Travel, ADV Glass Fenders & Bedsides, TC Spindle Gussets & King LT Coilovers, RCV Axles, DuroBumps, CB Steering & Carrier Bearing Drop Kit, SDHQ ABS Sensor Shields, Rear 3.0 ADS Triple Bypasses w/MCM Fab Under Bed Shock Mount Relocation, SUA Deaver I96HD Springs & TC Shackles, MCM Fab Rear Hydro Bumpstop Kit, Solid Offroad Engine Mounts, 17" Method Standards, 37/12.5/17 Toyo RT's, Nitro 488 Gears w/Auburn LSD, Evil Off Road Bumpers, RCI Skid Plates, White Knuckle Sliders, Dirty Deeds Ind. BAMuffler 8" Catback, Baja Designs Lighting, SwitchPros Controller, Custom PS Cooler Relocation Kit, Custom Dual Battery Setup
    I’ve run King and ADS on my Tundra‘s, no personal experience with Fox. That said my experience with King has been good.
    It’s my understanding Fox has a couple build quality advantages using better seals and a harder shock shaft. These components are available as an upgrade with Kings but don’t come standard.
    I also understand Fox’s DSC adjuster is more advanced but haven’t researched the differences.
    For me I was able to get my King coilovers for several hundred dollars less so that’s why I went that route.
    Here’s a link to the the thread AccuTune put together comparing King and Fox.
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/fox-vs-king-whats-the-difference.67078/

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  7. May 26, 2020 at 6:10 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    That’s why I run King’s.

One more little tip OP. 2.5” CO’s are for medium weight vehicles (5-7500 lbs), just in case you were considering a 2.0” shock.

Sunnier likes this.
  8. May 26, 2020 at 6:10 AM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    King definitely has more personable customer service, but I’ve seen Fox step up to the plate and go above and beyond a few times. Have first hand experience with King and Fox, Fox shocks are better, built with higher quality parts imo.. Have 6 Kings on my truck, they all seep oil. ADS is better than both though, again imo..

2.5” non reservoir shocks are awful.:notsure:

Sunnier, 831Tun, TheBeast and 2 others like this.
  9. May 26, 2020 at 6:26 AM
    smslavin

smslavin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    if you're in the area, i would actually call ben at filthy and talk to him. he's a great guy and really knows his stuff.

as was already stated, king's customer service is top notch. between them and ben, you really can't go wrong.

10. May 26, 2020 at 6:28 AM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    300k Supercharged 2008
    Good luck getting a good response, most people are just going to preach the brand they bought with no other experience. I have 3 vehicles, each equipped with either King, Fox, or ADS and I wouldn't bet on any of them over the rest. I would buy whatever you get the best deal on, though if money wasn't an option Fox seems to be ahead of everyone as far as technology and materials are concerned--but not enough to be a decision maker at this level. Get some 2.5s, you're not gonna touch their potential and you won't notice the difference from them to some 3.0s besides bragging rights. Find a deal or pick a color, they're all good.

11. May 26, 2020 at 6:31 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    @Vizsla

I agree, and for some reason thought the TT Boss system was RR.

831Tun likes this.
  12. May 26, 2020 at 6:47 AM
    xtyfighterx

xtyfighterx New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Crewmax Mid Travel
    Mid travel fox 2.5 coilovers 2.0 real shocks shims 295 70 18 trail grapplers pro accessories 32in light bar blacked out bed cover sway bar Moto metal 970 18x9
    I love my fox 2.5s with remote resi’s. Either way you can’t lose. Customer service isn’t a deal breaker for me I’ll rebuild them myself and install them so not sure what to tell you on that dilemma. I’ve never had to use it lol.

13. May 26, 2020 at 7:24 AM
    Part_time

Part_time Not a new member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 MICA BRONZE SR5
    Where do the Icons fall into almost bought the stage ones last night because you can keep upgrading the shocks.

14. May 26, 2020 at 7:42 AM
    monaco730

monaco730 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    16 Inferno Tundra
    Fox shocks, TRD Exhaust, TRD grill, TRD shift knob, weathertech floor/bed liners, ARE topper, FrontRunnerOutfitters cargo rack, Relentless cargo bars, color matched front bumper/side mirrors, fuel wheels, nitto RGs, K&N intake
    I love my fox 2.5 fronts and 2.0 rears. No complaints.

15. May 26, 2020 at 9:02 AM
    mtTundra

mtTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bozeman MT
    Vehicle:
    2016 Platinum 4X4, 1997 Tacoma 4x4
    Longer list than the wife needs to know about....
    This, Ben at Filthy also helped me get setup. Couldn't have been happier (unless they gave them to me for free).

Sunnier and smslavin[QUOTED] like this.
  16. May 26, 2020 at 10:50 AM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I have KINGs front and ADS rear. For the price, the ADS are really good. Kings are Kings :) My buddy has FOX with reservoirs on his Tundra and they look beefy too. Cannot really go wrong with all 3 brands.

831Tun and saybng like this.
  17. May 26, 2020 at 10:56 AM
    Sterlinglwood

Sterlinglwood Never enough!

Member:
    First Name:
    Sterling
    Newbury Park, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Double Cab SR5 4X4
    Full Fox 2.5 DSC no complaints.

Bob_Wiley likes this.
  18. May 26, 2020 at 1:43 PM
    Krezz

Krezz Doesn't want to be new member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Crewmax Hybrid TRD Pro
    I've heard great things multiple times on both brands.

Personally I've been running Fox on our Tundra for just over a year and have really enjoyed their feeling.
    The plan will be to do the same on the wife's 4Runner shortly. Just waiting for them to arrive!

19. May 26, 2020 at 2:38 PM
    ARMYGREEN

ARMYGREEN New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 CrewMax MGM
    I have seen a lot of people go from Fox suspension to King suspension but I don’t recall a single one that went from Kings to Fox, go with king.

20. May 31, 2020 at 7:33 AM
    tnine

tnine [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road
    ADS External Reservoir Shocks Deaver Leaf Springs 35" Tires C4 Fabrication Bumper Warn Winch Baja design LP9
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I’ve decided to go with Fox for the ability to control the high speed and low speed compression.

Since I spend 90% of time time on road, I want to be able to have a tuned setting for this case, as well as a different setup when I’m fully loaded for camping.

I really appreciate all the references, insight, and first hand experiences for input! Thanks!

21. May 31, 2020 at 8:04 AM
    TwistedTad

TwistedTad TRUCK GANG “T”

Member:
    First Name:
    Tad
    Canyon Lake, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Limited CM 4x4
    Good choice @tnine !!! I’m probably going to upgrade to the Fox 2.5 with DSC in the near future.

22. Jun 1, 2020 at 7:55 AM
    tnine

tnine [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road
    I'll take some pics and post a link to my build thread. I need to start one. All my changes so far have been interior function and cosmetics. Time to start upgrading the real stuff!

23. Jun 1, 2020 at 12:01 PM
    pnw.tundra

pnw.tundra PNW Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Pro | Prev 2020 Tundra aka Blue Whale
    So, I had King 2.5's on my tacoma and now I'm going to Fox 2.5 with DSC's for the Tundra. While I enjoyed the Kings, the Fox has an edge and the dual adjustability will help further dial in the ride that I'm looking for.

I'm also going through Accutune offroad so they can valve and tune the suspension tailored to my needs.

As many have stated though, all three - King, Fox and ADS are superior products, so you can't go wrong with any of these choices.

24. Jun 1, 2020 at 12:17 PM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    Well, I've now run Fox, King and ADS. I like what @jc153 and @Vizsla said. Like Viz I have some seeping Kings. I haven't had seeping with the Fox or ADS. If I were starting from scratch I'd go with either ADS or Fox. Kings aren't bad at all, I just think the other 2 are slightly better. Fox valving is a little more confusing as they have their own numerical system for shims but not many here will ever play with their own shim stacks.
    You also mentioned getting 18" wheels. I would recommend you go with 17s. Generally there are more tires made in 17 and they're often slightly less expensive. If you ever feel like trying some some race tires like KR2/3, they don't make an 18.

equin, Sunnier, jc153 and 1 other person like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top