1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best Top Load Washing Machine and Dryer??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by csuviper, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Dec 26, 2018 at 8:59 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Don’t rule it out completely yet. I somewhat feel guilty for posting that link without completely reading it myself. That is just a new model and one person’s review. Their standard mornings are still the shit. Speed queen will still be my next purchase. I just may stay away from the latest and greatest from them. I fear it was made trying to keep up with all the pretty bells and whistle‘s from their competitors. Something I’m afraid Toyota is going to do as well trying to keep all the princesses happy LOL. I’m sure previous versions are still available.

Personally I never would’ve even considered the TR7 as it is all push button. I’ll probably stick to the TR5 because of the manual control knobs. These are types of things that are easily replaced yourself if you ever had to. Everything in these washing machines is serviceable. And I know someone like you can easily do it yourself. But seriously, I doubt you would ever have to.

So even though this guy gave A somewhat bad view of the new model, I would be willing to bet it is still superior in reliability compared to the big three LOL see what I did there?!

2. Dec 26, 2018 at 9:06 AM
    Jengel451

Jengel451 Misanthropist

Member:
    The Bitterroot, MT
    Vehicle:
    2017 Barcelona TRD Limited CrewMax
    3/1.5 Toytec/Icon AAL, 17" Rebounds, 317-70-70 ST Maxx's
    I agree completely with @15whtrd , the manual control knobs are the way to go, as long as the TR5 is around, I'll go with SQ. It's tried and true.

ColoradoTJ and 15whtrd like this.
  3. Dec 26, 2018 at 9:20 AM
    UNTMatt

UNTMatt New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Attitude Black 4x4 Limited
    TRD Pro grille, TRD Pro black badging, TRD Pro shift knob, LED under dash lights, GBS, Llumar ceramic tint, BackFlip HD.
    We have a SQ, and have for about three years or so. It works, it's loud, and it cleans. I'd still consider another one today, just for the reliability aspect. The last time I researched them, they were the only manufacturer with a all metal drive transmission. Not sure what they did with the redesign but, until the reliability suffers, I'd still choose SQ over anything else.

My second choice would probably be the Maytag commercial washer mentioned in the article.

As far as CR goes with washers, I've had too many friends with the front loader's (pick your brand, most were Samsung but there have been others) that don't last very long, expensive to repair, constantly fighting odor's, etc. No thanks.

--Matt

4. Dec 26, 2018 at 9:30 AM
    Jengel451

Jengel451 Misanthropist

Member:
    The Bitterroot, MT
    Vehicle:
    The key to front loaders, NEVER EVER EVER let them sit with the door closed. EVER EVER EVER.

OR18TRD and ColoradoTJ like this.
  5. Dec 26, 2018 at 9:31 AM
    Jengel451

Jengel451 Misanthropist

Member:
    The Bitterroot, MT
    Vehicle:
    WTF, I'm on Dirtbike, Motorcycle Road Racing, Gun forums, and here we are on a truck forum talking about the pro/cons of a damn washing machine. I'm going to punch myself in the junk now on principle.

6. Dec 26, 2018 at 9:38 AM
    UNTMatt

UNTMatt New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Attitude Black 4x4 Limited
    TRD Pro grille, TRD Pro black badging, TRD Pro shift knob, LED under dash lights, GBS, Llumar ceramic tint, BackFlip HD.
    Yeah, I've heard that's the 'solution' to the smell/mold/mildew issue; however, some of us have very small laundry rooms and leaving a door open on a front loading washing machine isn't a realistic solution.

--Matt

7. Dec 26, 2018 at 10:26 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Take one for the team and give yourself another hard punch to the junk for me would you?

Thanks.

8. Dec 26, 2018 at 10:30 AM
    csuviper

csuviper [OP] Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    i find all info on life on this forum

Stroke250, UNTMatt, FoghornTX and 4 others like this.
  9. Dec 26, 2018 at 10:32 AM
    ardnutoz

ardnutoz

Member:
    First Name:
    OZ
    SE-PA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black TRD OR CM Limited
    we have a set of LG top loads that work amazing. just make sure that if you live in an older home you have the clearance. most made in Merica will not fit the 25 to 27 inch vintage doorways.. we had to return a set of whirlpools for that reason

10. Dec 26, 2018 at 10:35 AM
    T500

T500 # The Dark Side

Member:
    First Name:
    Alfie
    Neptune, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black
    Can’t beat a top loader. Had front loaders all my life until moving to the US. Front loaders suck balls, the last one I had was eco friendly, took almost 2 hours to do a wash.

15whtrd likes this.
  11. Dec 26, 2018 at 10:49 AM
    FoghornTX

FoghornTX Proud American and Infidel since 1968

Member:
    Ft Worth, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 Camry XSE (Black w/blackout package)
    I'm just gonna copy/paste from another thread...

We were doing two+ loads a day. Two adults and two teens. We were going through a washer about every 14 to 18 months. They were just out of warranty. Bastards.
    On a recommendation by a couple of friends that didn't know each other, they both said Speed Queen.
    After researching the company, brand, and that their consumer washers last 20 years and that most any and every laundromat uses Speed Queen commercial products, we were sold.

You won't be impressed by the lack of features. You won't be impressed by the lack of the fashionable and trendy look. You'll be appalled that they aren't fancy schmancy. You won't like it that the big box stores such as Home Depot, Lowes, and Best Buy don't sell them. I mean, who wants two plain white boxes that only washes and drys clothes?
    Do they cost the same as a fancy ass Samsung set? Yep, probably a bit more. We paid $1800 for the Speed Queen set.
    Will the Samsung set last 20 years? Nope.

The Speed Queen set that we bought has a 5 year standard warranty. Try to get a five year warranty out of one of those fancy brands. You won't.

We walked into a small appliance store in Ft Worth (Oliver Dyer's Appliance) and told them that we wanted a washer and dryer that lasts. The salesman that had sold appliances for 30+ years walked us right over to a Speed Queen set.
    While we were purchasing, I asked the gentleman why they had that single set of Samsungs. He said, "That's what people want. They want a show piece. Not something that does what it says."
    https://www.speedqueen.com/

Don't get a front loader of any brand. You'll learn if you do.

You bought a Tundra because of its reliability. Buy a washer and dryer for that same reason as well.

Most Speed Queen owners never have a problem with their set until well into the 15+ years of ownership... Not even a belt replacement! That's the consumer line, not even the commercial line. And if you need to do work, it's easy to do yourself. Simple equipment with quality parts.
    It's a ton of money to drop on a washer and dryer. But if they are going to last 15 years or more, what's $100 or less a year investment?

Just an FYI to everyone. No matter what brand washer that you have and no matter if the washer that you have is top or front loading, leave the door open when not in use so that moisture doesn't collect and cause mildew.

Stroke250, ColoradoTJ and 15whtrd like this.
  12. Dec 26, 2018 at 11:03 AM
    Festerw

Festerw New Member

Member:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tundra DC
    You can get a good front loader but you're not going to find it in a run of the mill appliance store, you're also going to pay for it.

There are smaller commercial washer-extractors that'll work in a home but you're looking at $2.5-3k. It'll probably last the rest of your life though. Think similar you what you'd find in a large laundromat. Depending on the manufacturer you can also tailor the wash cycles for exactly what you want and they'll take less time in the dryer since they spin much faster than any home grade machine.

We just replaced our 18 year old 50 pound machines at work, this time with a 70 and 55 pounder. These guys will run anywhere from 10-15 loads a day most of the year. They run $10-11k brand new. The 70 is big enough to do a weeks work of laundry for me including sheets and towels, 45 minute wash and 30 minute dry.

They're impressive machines.

15whtrd likes this.
  13. Dec 26, 2018 at 11:07 AM
    fisherman951

fisherman951 MT dreams

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 crewmax 4x4
    Not trying to mess this threw up but I’m looking at the SQ and all seem to have small capacity? Is their bigger ones or those would be Comercial? Our current washer is the 5.3 and love that it fits a lot but hate that’s it HE and doesn’t wash good.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  14. Dec 26, 2018 at 11:32 AM
    Jengel451

Jengel451 Misanthropist

Member:
    The Bitterroot, MT
    Vehicle:
    You'll have to down size, but here's the rub. The washing cycles on the SQ are shorter, by a bunch so you'll end up taking the same amount of time, but end up with clean clothes at the end.

15. Dec 26, 2018 at 11:43 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Back when I was hand modeling in Mexico for an igloo company, the really really really nice short señorita ladies that washed my clothes used an open wide/shallow tub casket type washer. The motor and pulley belt wide open to the public. Thing was on a tripod with wheels for easy maneuvering. Wished they had those here for really really really short people.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  16. Dec 26, 2018 at 2:37 PM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    When buying Kenmore, the sales person should be able to tell you what brand you are actually looking at or buying. Then you can compare to the actual name brand for better pricing.

17. Dec 26, 2018 at 3:49 PM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

TXRailRoadBandit73 YOTAS,RAILROADIN',RÖKnRÖLLN',BEER,MAX/GEMMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    Deja Vu thread

Trooper2 and FoghornTX like this.
  18. Dec 26, 2018 at 3:51 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Crosby Stills Nash & Young?

19. Dec 26, 2018 at 4:03 PM
    Greybeard

Greybeard Retiree in training

Member:
    Forsyth Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Double Cab
    Go simple. The high end brands are a big waste of money. They will break and when they do, it cost more to fix than replace. I had that happen and couldn't even get someone who fixes them for resell to pick it up for free. He said it wasn't worth it. He told me at that time go with the old fashioned dial and push to start. The digital ones are crap. I have a Roper now. No issues.

20. Dec 26, 2018 at 4:28 PM
    RLHULK

RLHULK Too many gamma rays in all that BBQ smoke.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Oklahoma, Toyota seat trim durability tester
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silverado LT.
    Still rolling stock baby....
    Actually its not fake news, I will call it old news tho. The last speed queen washer/dryer I purchased they were made by whirlpool, had whirlpools contact number for warranty and parts if needed in the owners manual. Now this was back in the mid 90s.

Seems since then that brand and others have been bought and sold a few times.

I currently have a commercial maytag washer/dryer I purchased in may of 2003.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  21. Dec 26, 2018 at 4:59 PM
    mt95

mt95 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Crewmax-White
    10-4 on the Speed Queens!! Just replaced my Speed Queen Dryer on Labor Day weekend after 38 years service. And that was through drying clothes for two kids also! Speed Queen produced commercial washers and dryers (laundromat types) for many, many years. The consumer machines are the same as that line. The great part as was mentioned in an earlier post is that you can still get a manual control (knobs!) on the TR5 washer. This means no electronic boards to mess up, which we all know happens too often these days. That all translates into a dependable machine that gives long service life. My father had a business years ago that retailed the SQ brand, and yes we did some serve work on them, but very minimal in comparison to most other brands.
    Your mileage may vary

ColoradoTJ, FoghornTX and 15whtrd like this.
  22. Dec 26, 2018 at 5:32 PM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    I definitely agree with Samsung needs to stick with TVS. I tried telling my nephew about getting the Samsung Suite . He's on his 2nd fridge and dishwasher. We have had our GE's for 5+ years and still going strong. Ge parts are easy to get and pretty easy to repair, to a certain degree. You take the fact that my wife hang drys the cloths through the summer months, it saves some wear and tear on your dryer. :washing:

23. Dec 26, 2018 at 5:39 PM
    duece292

duece292 Appalachian American

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Green Bay, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra SR5 CM TRD 5.7 4X4
    This one will never fail you....gcs-laundry.jpg

24. Dec 26, 2018 at 6:03 PM
    duece292

duece292 Appalachian American

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Green Bay, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra SR5 CM TRD 5.7 4X4
    We have a set of LG Inverter Direct Drive that are just a year old. We got them from a local appliance store. They weren't outrageously priced, got good reviews, simple to use settings, you can download custom settings and the dryer is 7.3 cubic feet, which was bigger than most comparable dryers. The only complaint my wife has is that the controls on the front of the washer are easy to accidentally turn on or off when taking clothes out.

Trooper2 likes this.
  25. Dec 26, 2018 at 7:19 PM
    csuviper

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ok pulled the trigger on LG despite all the good comments on here for the SQ. Lots of good online reviews for the LG. Got the 5 year full warranty on parts, service calls and labor through Lowe’s for $200. If I don’t make a service call in 5 years, I get 30% of that back.
    Needed something quick and Lowe’s had in sock for me to load up the Tundra and install.
    A022D943-4EEB-433F-9F24-E47C95C95593.jpg

26. Dec 26, 2018 at 7:27 PM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
  27. Dec 26, 2018 at 7:29 PM
    csuviper

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ha

28. Dec 26, 2018 at 8:06 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    Yikes, wish I would of commented earlier. Have a higher level than what you got LG, and at 18 months old they are a bit disappointing. Washer is meh, dryer is getting loud. We do use the snot out of them, but probably no different than most would.
    16628F27-8CB1-4A43-B016-26E5456D0150.jpg

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  29. Dec 26, 2018 at 8:25 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    I appreciate the sanitary mode also.

ColoradoTJ and OR18TRD[QUOTED] like this.
  30. Dec 26, 2018 at 9:07 PM
    Blueline

Blueline New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeb
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD PRO crewmax
    Bakflip MX4
    Go SPEED QUEEN. We bought a new LG, had nothing but problems, and dumped it after 3 years. Researched everything out there, and Speed Queen was the best built; it was the closest thing to an old fashioned Maytag. As reliable as a Tundra...without a cam tower leak.

ColoradoTJ likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top