1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Adjusting rear drums.

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Pucks18, Feb 21, 2020.

1. May 29, 2021 at 6:12 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    You may need to slightly break free the ‘Bushing’ Bolt (Pivot #1) with heat or lots of penetrant. Mine was not seized. The other Pivot #2 on mine was seized. This caused a condition where my Parking Brake Cable was ‘Self Adjusting’ only the Pass Side Wheel. The lever wasn’t ‘Equalized’ in its self adjustment.

None of this is in the FSM which I followed to the T (per brake adjust), but could never understand why I could not get it right. The Equalizer Mystery (for my case) was solved when a member here decided to replace his Bushings and broke the Bolt during removal.

I never knew there were Bushings in there. Once I started messing with mine I discovered Pivot #2 actually was a pivot. It looks like a welded piece and mine was seized until I started investigating. Broke it free and lubed hard. Ordered 2 new bushings and installed. Both rears drums self adjust Equally, now.

upload_2021-5-29_9-10-55.jpg

Last edited: May 29, 2021
    Jack McCarthy and FirstGenVol like this.
  2. Jun 11, 2021 at 11:24 PM
    shootemintheface

shootemintheface New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01' Tundra V8 Limited New Frame
    Luckily I was able to to take off the bolt that mounts it to the frame bracket. Cleaned up the bolt with a dremel and painted it with a rust converter. The bolt was not fully threaded. After the bolt head it has a shank that fits just snug enough to rotate inside the two polymer bushings. No clue what material it is made of. Got the bushings $2.50 ish for the pair and two tube of red rubber grease for $8 each was free pick up at the dealer. I thought I could use the bolt that came with the aftermarket cable which was a fully 3/8-16 thread bolt and serrated flange nut. Unfortunately it seems that nut on the mount bracket is welded and it's something between a M6 or M10, my guess it's a M8. Had I known that I would had gotten the Toyota bolt too, it was under 2 bucks. Placed my order before trying to take off the bolt.... Now when engaging the park brake operates and turns both star adjusters on the rear drums. And now I can properly perform procedures in the FSM.

fix.jpg

Jack McCarthy likes this.
  3. Jun 12, 2021 at 6:08 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors