1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2022 Tundra vs 2022 F-150 opinion?

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by john1062, Dec 3, 2021.

1. Dec 13, 2021 at 9:07 AM
    Bannerman

Bannerman Tasteful Thickness

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnson
    @bsktball55 I found some ratios, if I'm correct the Ford has more range, lower first gear and higher 10th......

Ford on left, Tundra on right.

upload_2021-12-13_12-7-22.jpg

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
  2. Dec 13, 2021 at 9:39 AM
    IowaGuy

IowaGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Arizona by way of Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 upgrade MGM
    In Process
    Hi, my name is IowaGuy and I am a recovering Ford addict. I went through a bit of a mid like crisis Ford swap the last few years and I ended up with a Tundra. My 2019 F-150 had the 2.7 and it was OK but I wanted the 5.0 so I traded and lost my ass. I ended up with a 2020 F-150 XLT FX4 that had a LOT of issue. The interior squeaked and rattled and the rear end had a lot of slop and clunked. The Ford dealers locally just messed around and couldn't fix the rear end so I traded it on my now 2019 Tundra. Ford quality has gone down significantly since covid and there was even a story about how they are no longer inspecting pre-assemly parts to make sure they meet specs. Fords warranty claims have also gone up 5% which is HUGE for the number of vehicles they produce. I also think Ford dropped the slogan about quality being job one. I know one persons experiences with a couple Ford trucks doesn't mean they are all that way, but I was not amused and am not looking back. Supposedly the new GMC's are better quality and a lot of ppl are raving about them?

Hoff, classiccat, Black Wolf and 2 others like this.
  3. Dec 13, 2021 at 9:45 AM
    Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla I'd rather be fishing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Platinum 4x4 Crewmax
    also keep in mind the torque peak is much lower in thh tundra at 2400 rpm. you cant just look at teh rear end ratio.

lots of stuff going on

4. Dec 13, 2021 at 9:49 AM
    DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    Tesla MYP
    The 2022 GMC is supposed to be better but I've had 3 GM's from 2016-2020 and they were all terrible. Had 1 buy back. I don't know if I could do GM ever again.

I was pretty hesitant to get an F150 and release my 21 TRD Pro. But so far I'm more mileage in and I've had better results. Surprisingly my initial quality is better on the F150. I had quite a few paint and body metal issues on my 21 Pro. Nothing deal breaking but pretty disappointing given the manufacturer and price point. I don't hold vehicles but 2-3 years top so long term reliability isn't a big deal honestly.

I sure do miss the color and rumble of my pro though.

Bannerman likes this.
  5. Dec 13, 2021 at 9:57 AM
    Bannerman

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnson
    That's a good point. Some more real-world testing will be interesting. I know the TFL guys put the Tundra on the Ike Gauntlet and said it was ok but didnt have the power of the Tremor with the 3.73. But it did get better mileage, per the computer anyway.

6. Dec 13, 2021 at 12:18 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Double Cab Limited 5.7L 4X4
    I wanted a faster vehicle so I also bought a Chevy SS... because 4 door sedans with big V8’s are hilarious.
    Mattedfred and Bannerman[QUOTED] like this.
  7. Dec 13, 2021 at 12:26 PM
    Bannerman

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnson
  8. Dec 13, 2021 at 8:36 PM
    1stGenTundraVamp

1stGenTundraVamp New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen TRD Tundra 4x4
    I’m liking the SR5 4x4Sport with the color matching body parts vs the chrome on the Limited. I want to get a $50k entry level rather than spend $60k on the Limited with TRD Off Road. Besides the Bilstein shocks, locker and crawl control are there any other differences between the Sport vs Off Road? I prefer to get Fox suspension later on with a lift kit and aftermarket rear locker. Does anyone know how much the locker is? I don’t care for crawl control even though I know it works well. I prefer old school. I’m just trying to think if there are any other differences. I wish there was a better way to compare these packages online.

9. Dec 14, 2021 at 12:04 AM
    Chvman98

Chvman98 New Member

Member:
    Anyone know how tall the new 4x4 tundra is? Internet says 78in in but I’m hoping that’s the pro model or something. I want to order one but I don’t think it will fit in my garage… my 2021 f150 has a half inch to spare

10. Dec 14, 2021 at 1:39 AM
    Bannerman

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnson
    What don’t you like about the F150?

11. Dec 14, 2021 at 4:44 AM
    tundra121

tundra121 New Member

Member:
    Looking at the option to trade my first tundra in on this new platform
    Not looking else where at the moment.

I have reservations on making a change because I haven’t owned a truck in the last 35 years that has been as good as my 2016 tundra.
    I am not loyal to any brand but my last few trucks have not been great… before getting my Tundra I was ready to make a deal with the Ford dealer on a new f150 I hadn’t even considered the Tundra as a option at that point.
    What changed my mind was a good friend that is loyal as a Dog to Ford and is a Ford technician at the local dealer. He was very disappointed with the new f150 and the problems he was seeing at the dealer and didn’t recommend it at all.
    His words were stay clear till Ford gets there act together.

My Tundra even though it’s a 1794 is pretty far behind on tec.and options that were on the others but this new 2023 think covers many of them.

As to getting a Ev its not a option for us
    Unless we two trucks one for the urban life and one for the long haul. I don’t think we are even close to being ready to switching over the EV the infrastructure it’s able to charge us all up. Some pretty good articles on this.

12. Dec 14, 2021 at 4:55 AM
    Mattedfred

Mattedfred Toyota Fan Boy Since ‘04

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Cambridge, Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 TRD Sport DC 4X4 in MGM
    TRD Skid Plate/Running Boards, Bison Soft Rollup Tonneau, Thule Canoe Rack, Bedmat, Tailgate Black Insert Badge, Northwest Seat Covers Neoprene Custom Fit Front Row Seat Covers. Tailgate Mat
    I recommend you watch this video.

https://youtu.be/7dfyG6FXsUU

Henry1jg, raylo and Larly5000 like this.
  13. Dec 14, 2021 at 5:17 AM
    borla123

borla123 The Pits

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    18 Tundra TRD OR - 4Runner Torsen Full Time 4wd
    Driver Grip Handle Borla Dual, Line X, ESP Underseat
    I am in the same boat with my 2018. If that was your Ford Technician friend's opinion back in 2016, what does he say today 6 years later? Have things changed at Ford ? or are you just not considering Ford ? I have looked at the Tremor.
    Without seeing the new Tundra yet, the more I research I do with each day that passes, the more I understand now - it has finally sunk in - that the new Tundra has nothing in common with my current Tundra. In some ways this is good and some ways not so good.

1UP and tundra121[QUOTED] like this.
  14. Dec 14, 2021 at 5:54 AM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    Forgive my ignorance here regarding transmission gearing and rear end gearing working together...

With the 2nd gen Tundras having a 4.30 rear end...was the idea in doing that so that the transmission wouldn't need to be geared as low to achieve the towing capability they wanted?
    I'll be interested to see if your Ford's body paint holds up. They've had a real mess on their hands with peeling and bubbling paint and iron contamination of the aluminum underneath causing corrosion. There's apparently a whole trail of TSBs that show Ford has allegedly known about it for years. Every time we visit my in-laws, I see more and more paint gone from the front of my father in law's 2016 EB F150. It's just peeling away.

15. Dec 14, 2021 at 5:54 AM
    tundra121

tundra121 New Member

Member:
    I haven’t considered the Ford at this point not saying I will never they make a nice truck. My friend is now driving a Chevy so I am thinking he’s not on board with what Ford is doing. Truck talk with his family is worse than talking about politics so best avoid the subject.

I agree with this tundra doesn’t have much in common with our current gen but Toyota is been pretty good overall with what the produce. Maybe a bit boring to drive but it’s generally put together to stay that way for years.
    Hopefully this new one will be the same.

16. Dec 14, 2021 at 6:03 AM
    bsktball55

bsktball55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra TRD Pro
    Bakflip MX4 Toneau cover Esp storage Audio system (Helix speakers, JL audio amp and sub) Front windows and windshield tinted LED interior and bed lights
    Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they had a 4.30 rear end simply so they could say they had a 4.30 rear end which would be great for towing. In reality, from my understanding, you really can't compare rear ends between manufacturers because the overall gear ratio from transmission, to rear end, to tire size all matters. Now if you have the same truck with the same transmission and one of them has a 3.55 rear end and the other a 4.30 then that will make a difference, but I really don't think it really makes a difference that the Tundra had a 4.30 rear end because of the overall gearing. Maybe when you first take off, but after that...

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  17. Dec 14, 2021 at 7:10 AM
    Breathing Borla

Member:
    Vehicle:
    yes, you don't need the rear end gearing so short (4.30) since you have 10 gears in the transmission to add in. first gear in the 2022 tundra with the 3.55 is actually WAY shorter than the last gen. having more gears adds really nice flexibility to have granny gears up front, stay right in the meat of the power band in the middle and have tall for highway, you don't have to have any trade offs.

check this out

18. Dec 14, 2021 at 8:08 AM
    Chvman98

Chvman98 New Member

Member:
    My only complaint are a lot of air noise on highway and crap quality backup camera

carmax is giving me what I paid for it.
    I also want keyless entry bigger then 8in screen and leather seats

19. Dec 14, 2021 at 8:16 AM
    Bannerman

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnson
    Gotcha. I’m looking at a Tremor so some of those problems are solved

20. Dec 14, 2021 at 9:12 AM
    Terndrerrr

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    I guess what I was getting at is, does the transmission gearing and 4.30 rear end of the 2nd gens have anything to do with why the 2nd gen transmissions tend to last so long? (Cooler or non-cooler issues aside…)

21. Dec 14, 2021 at 10:00 AM
    Breathing Borla

Member:
    Vehicle:
    no, I don't think so.

all toyota trans (aisin) tend to be super durable

22. Dec 14, 2021 at 10:40 AM
    Terndrerrr

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    Yes I get that. And again I may be talking out of my ass here…but does having the really low gearing in the rear end instead of in the transmission mean that the transmission is generally not working as hard and under less stress?
    Other manufacturers have a lower overall gear ratio without a 4.30 rear end. Does that mean their transmissions are working harder, so to speak? Or am I thinking about it the wrong way?

23. Dec 14, 2021 at 11:14 AM
    Breathing Borla

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I really don't think so, both these systems, older gen and newer gen are designed to work together specifically.

thats why TOYOTA doesn't have multiple rear ends, transmissions, etc, IMO.

I would really not be worried about the trans or rear end loggenvity, toyota doest tend to mess those up ever.

24. Dec 14, 2021 at 8:08 PM
    john1062

john1062 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra
    For the best driving comparison - I drove today today back to back a 22 Tundra SR5 Crew, 4x4 and a 2021 F-150 Powerboost XLT 302A. I know it's not the same powertrain, but if it will be Ford for me - it will be a Powerboost.
    Tundra:.Good visibility and mirrors, cloth seats ok, felt maybe a bit too soft, for sure they will be very hot in the summer and not sure of comfort on long drives. For a base model, steering wheel felt really good, quality leather and the heated function works, but the heat can be a bit stronger. The small screen is large enough but facing really the centre console so you look at it into an angleinterface really fast and I used the wireless CarPlay from my phone in about 10 seconds. Good overall acceleration but a bit delayed so there is definitely turbo lag. The big thing for me was that the truck drives and feels big. I didn't remember the Powerboost to feel as big so I went straight to a dealer for another test.
    I really wanted the Tundra to wow me but to be honest the truck that impressed me and my boy more was the Ford. I know I'm opening a can of worms right now :) but in my opinion and from driving the 2 trucks back to back, the Powerboost felt superior in majority of aspects. Seat comfort, visibility, acceleration, suspension (Tundra felt a bit softer not sure if the other trims ride differently. The Ford felt rock solid, but not too stiff ) and fuel efficiency (for my 20 min test drives I averaged 18.5mpg with Tundra driving fairly easy with 2 bursts of highway acceleration and 23mpg with the Powerboost - not the same roads but the same ratio HWY/ city roads). Payloads: 1395lb for the Tundra and 1608lb for the Powerboost. Only plus for Tundra would the the braking - that it felt great, very solid. Ford was ok, but different feel, maybe has to do with the Hybrid powertrain
    Anyways, this was my experience. Being on a Tundra Forum - let the criticism begin :)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  25. Dec 15, 2021 at 5:44 AM
    OppoMojo

OppoMojo New Member

Member:
    Did you check the seat comfort at the dealership? You will probable be sitting in them more than than your truck! I know I did....

trlaketundra likes this.
  26. Dec 15, 2021 at 5:49 AM
    borla123

borla123 The Pits

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    18 Tundra TRD OR - 4Runner Torsen Full Time 4wd
    Driver Grip Handle Borla Dual, Line X, ESP Underseat
    Can you tell us how the new Electric Steering felt ? What about compared to the Ford ?

27. Dec 15, 2021 at 5:52 AM
    Terndrerrr

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    Thank you for the honest assessment. I do think that’s how Ford gets you. They build everything around the initial experience. A good first impression. Then after it’s in your driveway for a while, the frustration begins…

The Powerboost could be twice as comfortable with far better acceleration, fuel efficiency, and suspension, and I still wouldn’t buy it. None of my problems with Ford come down to how they drive or what they feel like. In a shorter time than you would expect, that truck will likely be rattling, its paint will likely be bubbling/peeling, and it will start having weird little quirks. It probably won’t strand you, but if you don’t mind going back to the dealer frequently for little issues that add up, then go for it. It’s not worth it to me. Give me bare bones old tech, and keep me away from the dealer.

Signed,
    ‘21 owner :headbang:

Toyota1234 and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  28. Dec 15, 2021 at 7:21 AM
    john1062

john1062 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra
    Didn't notice major differences in between them, but I felt that the Ford was easier to maneuver out of the parking lots, etc. Not sure if that was the steering or the Tundra "feeling bigger" and heavier. I have no complaints though, I am sure everybody (myself included) would be really happy with the Tundra - just the Ford felt few notches better. Would be curious about driving the other trims with OR package or Sport - to see if driving experience will change. Unfortunately here in Canada not many dealers will have demos, they are greedy and sold everything that's coming in. So far only one dealer is smart to keep one only for demos

Tundrastruck91 likes this.
  29. Dec 15, 2021 at 8:07 AM
    john1062

john1062 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra
    I get you and thanks for sharing your experience.
    One thing that makes me thinking is that overall the auto customers are smart. They usually don't buy in large masses something that is knowingly bad. Example small sedans - for sure the best ones are Civic and Corollas - and yes you see them outnumbering anybody else by a large margin. Mid size, SUV's, etc - the same proportion applies as the Japanese are the best but they sell a lot more. But this doesn't seem to apply to full size trucks. For mid size it's obvious - Tacoma leads big time. If the Big 3's would be as bad as everybody or the folklore is implying - why are they outselling the best one by like 25:1? Are all these millions of people per year that stupid to buy a very expensive product (they were more expensive than the Tundra) that is really bad?
    Look on the F-150 forum, yes - you see issues - but they also have 130K members. (you also see people that went from Tundras to Ford) Also lots of the trucks with issues are with mods, etc. I know that some people have issues and the frustrated ones will change brands, but honestly I don't know anybody with trucks to have issues: I have several friends with F-150's - and they never had issues to worth talking about them (one of them had 325K km - when was totalled and the replacement is perfect for him), Have a friend with a Ram Ecodiesel - he is really happy, One with a Silverado - really happy too. I owned twice Fords (Edge and Escape) and they were flawless (both 4 years lease). I own a Chevrolet Volt with 173K km - that is the best vehicle I ever owned, I also own a Lexus RX which is really good - that's why I am considering a Tundra. Maybe maintenance is the biggest factor?
    Also it's a bit weird that the problems that Tundra had or has are treated differently - like Tundra problems are somehow accepted.

Logically I am not sure if I can buy a truck that I don't like that much, that has a smaller payload than I need, doesn't have the equipment I want, that is more expensive and with way higher interest rates and that is sold at or over MSRP - for the theoretical promise that it will be more reliable (although we see that from the first trucks delivered- they do have and will have plenty of issues)

30. Dec 15, 2021 at 10:12 AM
    Terndrerrr

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    Totally hear you. A few things…

130k…that’s twice the members on this forum. And there are far more than twice the issues reported.

Ford and all the rest are simply less reliable than Toyota. They have issues at a higher rate. You’d think that this is 2021, and everyone knows how to make a long lasting vehicle at this point. The term “long lasting” means different things to different people. To Toyota owners, it means 300k+ miles with only routine maintenance. I hear Ram and Ford owners saying “My truck was very reliable in the 70k miles I owned it.” o_O Look at all the issues the domestics have (GM lifters, Ford 10-speeds, Ram electronics, just to name one per maker). I’m not saying Toyota never has problems, just that they are fewer and further between. And NOT just because Toyota builds fewer trucks. Caveat: we don’t yet know if the 3rd gen will be as trusty over the long term as the 2nd gen.

Also, most truck buyers (maybe buyers in general) seem to be fine with buying new every 3-5 years and keeping a payment going. They’re just responding to the extreme turnover of features and constantly rolling out new tech and comforts. This is the sales model the big three have adopted. I am struck aghast at how many people—on this board even!!!—who will buy new to hold themselves over till the truck they really want is available next year. Might as well be flushing money down the toilet. You almost never actually come out ahead, even in this market and especially when taxes and loan interest is factored in.

I fully understand I’m in the minority of buyers. I’m just glad that there was an option when I was shopping for those of us who buy once, don’t want to be hassled with loads of recalls, and will keep for a very long time. I’m happy with my truck. I’ll gladly pay $700ish more per year in fuel to stay away from the dealer. My time is worth that to me.

Products Discussed in

To Top