1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2019+ External Transmission Cooler

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Genuine Cooling Systems, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Oct 18, 2019 at 10:23 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch

You all are smoking pole If you think this is a problem. How’s that?

I don’t own a Tundra, but my Allison does have a stand alone cooler.

specter208, Danimal86, bensky and 2 others like this.
  2. Oct 18, 2019 at 10:58 AM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    My thought is such a poll taken now will provide little information relative the cooler changes, since the cooler changes were only effective in 2019 MY. A poll taken now is likely to show few, if any 2019 failures, due to low mileage, and a false conclusion there is no problem could be drawn. However, two or three years from now when this original poll thread has been long forgotten and warranties are fading away, I would not be surprised (FWIW) to see a little anomaly tick up for 2019s.

Toyota has made some changes that seem to revise their earlier thinking regarding transmission fluid temperatures. For owners that can't see Toyota's test data, maintaining that same Toyota reliability is a concern when fluid temperatures are running 30 deg hotter than before. Trying to anticipate any future problems, and what action to take, may not be bad topics for discussion.

Until a poll is done three years from now, and presence or absence of a problem is confirmed, my recommendations are still the same:
    (1) Definitely get the means to monitor your transmission fluid temperature while towing.
    (2) Have regular fluid analysis tests done to evaluate fluid degradation, and to determine reasonable change interval if sticking with WS.
    (3) Do a full transmission drain procedure, refilling with a full synthetic fluid (unless you fear the risk of warranty issues).
    (4) If your temp monitoring shows fluid temps routinely exceeding "allowable temperature"* for the fluid, consider adding an auxiliary cooler with all the attendant warranty risk questions.

*Useful information provided about this "allowable temperature" by recent threads on auxiliary coolers and full synthetic fluid is:
    (1) Valvoline MaxLife full synthetic begins to degrade above 280 deg F, and degradation rate increases as fluid temperature increases.
    (2) Toyota WS is a synthetic blend, and degradation temp is unknown, but lower than full synthetic.
    (3) I believe someone posted here that the high fluid temperature alarm goes off at 300 degrees F; you do the math.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  3. Oct 18, 2019 at 11:03 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
  4. Oct 18, 2019 at 11:38 AM
    thetaxguy

thetaxguy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 White SR5 CM TRD OR
    I'm no engineer and it may show in my question... but, has anyone considered welding a heat sink to their transmission pan? If does not have to be a massive heat sink, just something with enough fins to offer a measurable cooling effect.

5. Oct 18, 2019 at 11:40 AM
    panicman

panicman Everyone remain calm.

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM TRDoffroad MGM
  6. Oct 18, 2019 at 2:09 PM
    773_eddie

773_eddie Trd Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Trd Pro
    12volt remote start, weathertec accessories, Trd Pro decals, Toyota console safe,VLEDS Puddle Lights,Frac Harness,TRD PRO front and Rear Sway Bar,NSV Hood Light Bar,ESP long box,AJT accessories,Thinkware U1000 dashcam, coachbuilder 1/3 Lift, HR LED’s,Pro comp Traction bars, JL complete System wit 2 10” subs, Kenwood DDX9907XR HU
    Oohwee were rolling in 4th gear now with no overheating I love this discussion a lot of good points thrown around.

Allison transmission is bad ass comes with an internal and external filter with cooler big bad beast we have them in all of our heavy equipment from garbage trucks to fire trucks

I will continue my research I will get under my truck and investigate what’s their one day but keep it going guys we stay civil and it will be fun informative never to late to learn something new.

7. Oct 18, 2019 at 2:49 PM
    Genuine Cooling Systems

Genuine Cooling Systems [OP] New Member Vendor

Member:
  8. Oct 18, 2019 at 4:22 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    No but on my list. PML is a family owned business that has specialized in owns for quite some time and finally came out with one for the Tundra Aisin tranny.

9. Oct 18, 2019 at 5:07 PM
    Ericsopa

Ericsopa Old man and the sea

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    N of Rio Grande, S of Red, E of Pecos, W of Sabine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra CrewMax TRD Ltd Super Duper White OVtuned
    Are y'all sayin' that the '19 doesn't even have a tranny cooler line going to the radiator tank...a la the way it's been done on vehicles since the beginning of time?

Black Wolf likes this.
  10. Oct 18, 2019 at 5:16 PM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    Black Wolf likes this.
  11. Oct 18, 2019 at 8:56 PM
    pickeledpigsfeet

pickeledpigsfeet New Member

Member:
    Sierra Foothills, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra/14 FJ/ 90 SASed xcab
    Kings & Icons
    I have all the parts to retro my 19. Now just waiting for the warranty to run out.

3A6282D8-AD02-4682-AD2E-8C73874CD814.jpg

jetfishn, sask3m, ryanwgregg and 2 others like this.
  12. Oct 18, 2019 at 9:05 PM
    Genuine Cooling Systems

Member:
    Can you provide part numbers? Will this make it the same setup as a 2018?

ryanwgregg likes this.
  13. Oct 18, 2019 at 9:47 PM
    pickeledpigsfeet

Member:
    Sierra Foothills, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Kings & Icons
    I can when I get back to a PC as it is too time consuming on my phone. But it is the thermostat from a 18 and then pipes and hoses from a 08 so I can run a standalone cooler. The 18s dont have a standalone, they are integrated into the AC condensor, still better than the 19s but not as good as the 08s.

I am not going to run the OEM cooler, I prefer TruCools. I will mount it like the 08s are mounted, in front of the condensor.

14. Oct 18, 2019 at 9:47 PM
    pickeledpigsfeet

Member:
    Sierra Foothills, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Kings & Icons
    Or you can go through my older posts and I have the part #s in one of them.

15. Oct 19, 2019 at 5:59 AM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    Parts at the transmission are the same from 2008 to 2018 (5.7L, AB60E/F). In fact, on Toyota parts website, if you select 2019>Tundra>SR5> 5.7L>Cooling System>Trans Oil Cooler, you get this page. Skip down to the bottom of the page for the thermostat and other related parts. You'll need the o-rings (4) and maybe longer bolts, but @Roman will have to help you with that:

https://parts.toyotaofcoolsprings.c...-5-7l-v8-gas/cooling-system--trans-oil-cooler

You'll still need the long hard lines to the front, a cooler, and fittings to adapt cooler to hard lines. Apparently the small diameter short lines (painted black) @pickeledpigsfeet has are for exhaust system heat...there must be converter or something hot close at that point.

Edit: I found the 2008-2010 stand alone cooler, but it is nearly $500 from Toyota and it still may not fit well into the Gen3 grille area. If anyone needs the part number, Roman can help you with that.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    tundra_20, Roman, ryanwgregg and 3 others like this.
  16. Oct 19, 2019 at 9:01 AM
    pickeledpigsfeet

Member:
    Sierra Foothills, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Kings & Icons
    Thats good info. Here is a pic of the part #s. I ended up buying them off ebay and saved about $100 on all of it.

46045ABE-2FFF-4C20-8657-ACA86BCF7E8B.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    ryanwgregg likes this.
  17. Oct 19, 2019 at 9:55 AM
    Genuine Cooling Systems

Member:
    At this point I wonder if a deep pan will be the best option. I'm just looking for someone with a 2019+ who has done it before to see what temps they are seeing.
    Thanks man, I'm wondering if the ECU will have to be reflashed to a different version as well to turn on the cooler? Also, does this require drilling holes in the radiator housing in the grill area to get the hoses through?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  18. Oct 19, 2019 at 10:20 AM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    Intuitively, you will get some benefit simply by having more fluid volume to absorb the heat, and you will get slight improvement in heat dissipation from the stubby fins and larger pan surface area. There is no way to know if the aftermarket pan will substantially reduce fluid temps without someone buying it and trying it (not to mention reporting the results back here). To be credible, the owner needs to record accurate temps before the trial, install the aftermarket pan, then record the fluid temperatures afterwards. Without the "before" data, there may be strong pressure to "glorify" the results after sinking nearly $500 into an oil pan. :D

No ECU is touched; all about this transmission cooling system is strictly mechanical.

The holes that were there in the radiator bulkhead for the 2018 configuration will likely still be there. OEMs do not revise structural sheet metal components for a new configuration. However, I doubt those holes for the 2018 condenser heat exchanger will still make sense for installing an aftermarket fluid cooler. I imagine you will want them lower in the bulkhead and slightly larger to accept possibly imperfect tubing bends.

ryanwgregg likes this.
  19. Oct 19, 2019 at 10:24 AM
    Genuine Cooling Systems

Member:
    Sweet, thanks for the info. I am leaning towards the cooler if it is a easy install. Like Eddie said before, will this take away the capabilities of the warmer? Sorry for asking a bunch of questions.

20. Oct 19, 2019 at 10:32 AM
    19crewmaxTRD

19crewmaxTRD Tundra Enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Vehicle:
    2019 white tundra crewmax
    Has anybody thought about adding just a small coolent radiator to the inlet side of the "warmer". I've noticed that the tranny temp mirrors the coolent temp going in pretty closely. It's not as intuitive to check actual coolent temp at the inlet. I measured with ir gun and the coolent was only a few degrees cooler than what the obd2 was reading for trans pan temp.

21. Oct 19, 2019 at 10:33 AM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    Not if you are able to install the thermostat, which prevents flow to the air-to-fluid cooler when the transmission is cold. Once the transmission is warmed up and generating plenty of heat, the thermostat opens about 194-230 degrees allowing fluid to be cooled up front. Additional heat that could not be removed by that pissant warmer/cooler will now be removed by the air-to-fluid cooler, and the thermostat will regulate the flow to that air-to-fluid cooler as needed.

22. Oct 19, 2019 at 10:43 AM
    Genuine Cooling Systems

Member:
    I wouldn't mind installing this before my warranty is up if everything is bolt off and bolt on.

23. Oct 19, 2019 at 10:51 AM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    A couple of guys here have already bought parts for the retrofit. The only missing piece in my mind is having a competent individual size and spec an aftermarket cooler up front that will get the job done under the toughest towing environment.

24. Oct 19, 2019 at 11:13 AM
    Dodger46

Dodger46 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Sky Metallic SR5 Crewmax
    Keep up these posts! I really appreciate hearing about all this.

25. Oct 20, 2019 at 10:56 AM
    blaserdude

blaserdude New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Limited Double Cab
    none
    It will be interesting to see if any dealerships offer to do this. Should not be big deal since many installed the SC mod. TRD could make a tidy add on accessory package of this.
    bc

26. Oct 20, 2019 at 12:18 PM
    Eric32444

Eric32444 "Pick up your balls and load up your cannons..."

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Panama City FL, Lynn Haven
    Toyota already deleted the drivers side a-pillar handle that we have to purchase separately, hopefully this is not the new profit scam being run, lol

27. Oct 20, 2019 at 1:33 PM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    They will also install lift kits with the possibility of warranty issues, so you would think some might. The difference is that lift kits, like the SC package, come prefabricated and complete with all required components. Unfortunately in this case, no one has put together a "kit" that dealers trust, and most dealers will know it won't be time effective for them to identify, order, and install shelf parts with no track record of success on 2019+. We've been feeling around in the dark just trying to replicate the past Toyota system.

I bet most dealers are not even aware that the transmission fluid cooling has changed...witness three technicians standing around a hood up 2019 trying to find the transmission fluid cooler. Toyota's literature and window sticker are clinging to the idea that there is still a transmission fluid cooler, but the current situation wouldn't be an "improvement" Toyota would want to talk about.

The TRD SC packages that maintained warranty were an incredible step for an OEM. It must have been some rising star executive with performance ideas that ever sold them on doing that.

ryanwgregg likes this.
  28. Oct 20, 2019 at 1:50 PM
    blaserdude

blaserdude New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    Vehicle:
    none
    I hope owners can apply enough pressure to get some standard retro fit approved under warranty.

ryanwgregg, Dodger46 and JohnLakeman like this.
  29. Oct 23, 2019 at 9:18 AM
    Genuine Cooling Systems

Member:
    Has anyone tried to contact the dealer for a retrofit install?

30. Oct 23, 2019 at 11:40 AM
    blaserdude

blaserdude New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    Vehicle:
    none
    Early on, I did and they said it did not need one. Now that some time has passed and overheat warnings and higher temps have occurred, some dealers may listen.
    bc

To Top