1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2019+ External Transmission Cooler

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Genuine Cooling Systems, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Oct 17, 2019 at 9:45 PM
    Genuine Cooling Systems

Genuine Cooling Systems [OP] New Member Vendor

Member:
    With the 2019+ tundras not coming equipped with a external transmission cooler, does anyone know of a aftermarket option to cool off the transmission fluid? Based on my research, the 2019+ tundras are running on average 20 degrees hotter ATF then the previous models. For my piece of mind I'd like to install a external cooler to keep this tundra reliable for years to come.

Cowboy Cadillac and dcsleeper408 like this.
  2. Oct 17, 2019 at 10:03 PM
    773_eddie

773_eddie Trd Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Trd Pro
    12volt remote start, weathertec accessories, Trd Pro decals, Toyota console safe,VLEDS Puddle Lights,Frac Harness,TRD PRO front and Rear Sway Bar,NSV Hood Light Bar,ESP long box,AJT accessories,Thinkware U1000 dashcam, coachbuilder 1/3 Lift, HR LED’s,Pro comp Traction bars, JL complete System wit 2 10” subs, Kenwood DDX9907XR HU
    Problem is that the 2019 has no transmission lines so you can’t install an external transmission cooler it only has an external warmer but I’m looking into it too cause I would like to install one as well I’m a transmission guy for 20 years I have install coolers on all my cars I have probably installed several hundred coolers in my life. Now I have done some research and noticed that 2003 to 2012 had a external cooler line sandwiched between the transmission case and warmer and had external cooling capabilities I have looked it up and it’s very expensive from toyota but I’m not 100% sure if it would bolt on to our trans I believe we have the same trans toyota didn’t change much so it might be worth a shot to try to find one of an older truck to see if it would work sometimes transmission parts company fabricate parts for external coolers I remember installing an external cooler kit on several Volkswagen jettas Passats and vanwagons from a company called Tru cool so I will be looking that up as well.

3. Oct 17, 2019 at 10:09 PM
    Genuine Cooling Systems

Member:
    Thanks Eddie. If you find out it does work please update us!

4. Oct 17, 2019 at 10:17 PM
    773_eddie

773_eddie Trd Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Trd Pro
    12volt remote start, weathertec accessories, Trd Pro decals, Toyota console safe,VLEDS Puddle Lights,Frac Harness,TRD PRO front and Rear Sway Bar,NSV Hood Light Bar,ESP long box,AJT accessories,Thinkware U1000 dashcam, coachbuilder 1/3 Lift, HR LED’s,Pro comp Traction bars, JL complete System wit 2 10” subs, Kenwood DDX9907XR HU
    Dang is late and u got me going now lol let me show you something
    78DC5003-0336-422D-9A90-EF2BD309F327.jpg
    That’s a 2015 in the circle is cooler line fittings I wonder if our trucks have the threads in the case behind the trans warmer I’m not sure if anyone here on the forum has ever taken off the warmer to see remember this is still the same transmission we have now maybe toyota eliminated the fittings and installed the warmer maybe if we take off the warmer the threaded holes will be their and we would be able to thread some fittings in and run an external cooler instead of a warmer but the other issue with eliminating the warmer would be your transmission not reaching operating temperature and having hard shifts the wheels have started to spin I left the transmission world 3 years ago now I’m a heavy equipment mechanic but I still have ATF running thru my veins lol

TTund16 and dcsleeper408 like this.
  5. Oct 17, 2019 at 10:34 PM
    773_eddie

773_eddie Trd Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Trd Pro
    Even this would work for us this is a 10-17 2wd 4.6 Tundra we can instal T fittings on the 2 hoses one is pressure and one is return to a cooler and would have both warmer and cooler here’s the issue I see the warmer is fed by coolant so that means engines runs at let say 195 degrees then thermostat opens so the transmission is usually going to upwards of that and if your towing it will be even higher now question is do we really need the warmer the transmission creates it’s own heat just takes longer than an engine but transmission benefits from running cooler cause the clutches are made of paper material
    8E564894-C44A-46BB-8EF0-FA581E43083F.jpg

TTund16 and dcsleeper408 like this.
  6. Oct 17, 2019 at 10:38 PM
    bensky

bensky PlatinumPro

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2018 Red Platinum Tundra
    You don’t need the external cooler anymore. With new synthetic fluids and materials engineering the extra heat is easily handled. IMHO.

7. Oct 17, 2019 at 10:47 PM
    773_eddie

773_eddie Trd Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Trd Pro
    You my friend are correct the transmission fluid of today is much more advance than the fluid we had in the 60s and 70s I made a lot of money rebuilding those transmission cause of overheating that’s when manufacturers started adding coolers in the 80s now this new trans fluid flows at -20 degrees I have rebuild many many transmission and I’m going to tell you I would rarely get any RWD toyota 2003 and up I did a hand full 96-02 4runners 4wd. I did several of 2wd Volvo’s and jeeps they had Toyota’s transmission but not many. Now I have done tons of FWD Toyota and lexus like older Rav4 and rx330 a lot of Camry and corollas all high mileage very burnt fluid but I believe it was lack of maintenance toyota does make a good product in 97 toyota had issues with the Rav4 trans but it was a computer problem I remember that toyota recall

The only thing we don’t know is the future toyota eliminated transmission lines and coolers for 2019 they even eliminated dipsticks even earlier than that is this a problem for the future? We don’t know so I understand what Nicholas93 is doing he’s curious cause previous Toyota’s had coolers he’s protecting his investment I haven’t seen a 19 go a million miles we certainly seen a 07 do it he had a external cooler and even his trans failed at around 400k lost reverse so something to think about it’s better to nip it in the butt early then get kicked in the ass later just my .02 cents I love this forum my girl said I’m addicted lol

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  8. Oct 17, 2019 at 11:58 PM
    bensky

bensky PlatinumPro

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2018 Red Platinum Tundra
    Good points. I feel like changing the fluid on the recommended schedule along with a full flush (only using Toyota’s trans fluid) every 75,000 miles is more than adequate. The lack of a cooler gives me no worry at all. That being said, I expect my truck to last 300K miles not millions.

9. Oct 18, 2019 at 4:01 AM
    georgie

georgie New Member

Member:
    If i towed say a travel trailer regularly I would get a external trans cooler installed for piece of mind. Since I don't don't worry at all. even some light towing here and there no worry.

10. Oct 18, 2019 at 4:05 AM
    Genuine Cooling Systems

Member:
    If toyota removed the cooler fitting I guess we are shot out of luck. I know Toyota has done this because they believe it does not need the external cooler. The thing is, I have read reports of people towing well within the allowed limits and their getting high transmission warning in the cab as well as reporting a burning smell from the transmission. Does toyota use a full synthetic ATF from the factory?

Ghost23 and jetfishn like this.
  11. Oct 18, 2019 at 4:18 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Toyota ATF WS is not a full synthetic. (Blend)

dcsleeper408 and Black Wolf like this.
  12. Oct 18, 2019 at 4:28 AM
    Genuine Cooling Systems

Member:
    Thanks. I believe switching to a full syn fluid should be at the top of everyone's list now if they own a 2019+.

13. Oct 18, 2019 at 4:35 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Using a different brand full synthetic fluid might be cheaper as well.

Black Wolf and JohnLakeman like this.
  14. Oct 18, 2019 at 5:13 AM
    Genuine Cooling Systems

Member:
  15. Oct 18, 2019 at 5:31 AM
    Timeless

Timeless New Member

Member:
    Wow, this really irks me. I just picked up my '19 and thought it had a trans cooler. I tow a 5k lb trailer regularly during the summer and with my prior Silverado, that had a trans cooler, would often see trans temps around 200 deg, sometimes higher if maneuvering at low speeds. As I want to keep this truck for many years to come, I will be following this and trying to figure out a solution.

16. Oct 18, 2019 at 5:50 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
  17. Oct 18, 2019 at 6:00 AM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    I haven't gotten down and looked at my 4.6L, but that transmission is a A760E, not the AB60 that's in the 5.7L. Those connections with the elbows are likely drilled and tapped with 1/2" NPT (metric equivalent) at the factory. The AB60 warmer/cooler attaches with o-rings sealing the connections at the transmission case.

The retrofit can still be done using the 2018 thermostat, since the thermostat has o-rings to seal the connections to the transmission case. Using the thermostat is a good idea anyway. Toyota apparently thinks running automatic transmissions too cold is a bad idea (WARMER/cooler?), plus the thermostat provides fluid temperature regulation right where Toyota thought it should be prior to 2019.

I note those hard lines are close to 1/2" diameter; those are the largest I've ever seen for a transmission fluid cooler. Buying those from Toyota pre-bent might be the easiest path on a retrofit.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  18. Oct 18, 2019 at 6:16 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    I think all you have to do is replace the spacer with the trans thermostat and you’ll be able to run the lines. Probably void warranty.

I’ve used a Hayden cooler. It’s about $70 and was pretty good. They have a lot of different options.

JohnLakeman likes this.
  19. Oct 18, 2019 at 6:28 AM
    Cement

Cement ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Trundra TRD
    Thanks for the on point discussion (I tried that 'other' thread but gave up; this one is much better :))

I don't tow with my 2019 but I do wheel. In the desert. Sometimes in 100+ temps. I've seen the high trans temp warning one time so far (in 10k miles, maybe 500 of which are offroad) on the trail after climbing a relatively benign hill. Freaked me out enough to have me thinking I'd need to add an external cooler. And so I'm here.

Do I understand correctly that we know of no one that's tried it yet to confirm one way or another if its possible? Do I also understand that if its not, changing the fluid more regularly should do the job and keep the trans relatively safe (someone know what that suggested interval might be?). And when changing, ensure full synthetic (NOT Toyota's branded blend?).

Thanks!

20. Oct 18, 2019 at 6:37 AM
    Eric32444

Eric32444 "Pick up your balls and load up your cannons..."

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Panama City FL, Lynn Haven
    that whole "voiding the warranty" is what is holding me back from bypassing warmer/cooler and installing aftermarket cooler. I am in Florida and have the '19 SR with 4.6 that i added a Tekonsha P3 to...i have a 3900lb camper trailer i plan on towing around some....

decisions, decisions...

eric

21. Oct 18, 2019 at 7:15 AM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    Eric, I am afraid I have some, but not all, bad news.

During this discussion, I have actually entertained adding the transmission air-to-fluid exchanger to my 4.6L truck. My opinion is using the thermostat is not an option for us, but using the pipe elbow hose connections on the side of the transmission could be used to install an air-to-fluid cooler. However, the fluid temperature would be unregulated...fluid would flow at full capacity to the cooler ALL THE TIME. The function of the warmer would also be lost. The owner would have to decide which is worse: no cooler, or unregulated cooling.

Check out the photo of what I believe is a A760F (4WD) installation provided by @773_eddie in Post #4 (Thanks, Eddie!). The warmer/cooler configuration on the A760E/F is totally different than on the AB60 (see the photo of the A760E provided in Post #5). The thermostat installs right against the AB60 transmission case, and there's nothing there for the thermostat on the A760. For the 4.6L owners that tow heavy, changing to synthetic fluid may be the best available option :(

A760F (4.6L 4WD)
    A760E (4.6L 2WD)

22. Oct 18, 2019 at 7:26 AM
    Eric32444

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    good info....as far as fluid being unregulated, being in Florida i am not concerned so much with fluid being too cold. a good long drive now and then should burn off moisture, as long as the tranny shifts fine when cold...

it does appear harder (more expensive) to do this with the AB60 due to needing the thermostat to get hose connections for the cooler...

23. Oct 18, 2019 at 7:33 AM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    I'll have to get under my truck and check it out, but I'm pretty sure those elbow hose fitting adapters are already there on our A760 transmissions. They lead now to that warmer cooler mounted on the bell housing as shown in the photo of the A760F. All that's needed for unregulated cooling on our A760s is to remove the warmer/cooler and to make hose connections to hard lines leading to the front grille area. No other adapters required if you're willing to give up the warmer, and will accept whatever temp the cooler provides.

Edit: The thermostat is surprising cheap for an original Toyota part...I think someone showed a part listing of it and it was like $168.

hagrid and Eric32444[QUOTED] like this.
  24. Oct 18, 2019 at 7:37 AM
    Eric32444

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    maybe us 4.6'ers have something going for us, lol

25. Oct 18, 2019 at 8:04 AM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    I forgot to mention that the coolant lines from the engine would also have to be plugged if the warmer/cooler is removed. It may be simpler to just leave the warmer/cooler in place, and route the transmission hose connections to clear it.

jetfishn likes this.
  26. Oct 18, 2019 at 8:17 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    One of you should get a pole going on transmission failures of all generations and what mileage.

I’m thinking some of you are making a mountain out of an ant hill. Seriously.

27. Oct 18, 2019 at 8:27 AM
    bensky

bensky PlatinumPro

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2018 Red Platinum Tundra
    Yes. Stop worrying about possible problems and enjoy your trucks. The superior fluid is adequate. Also, I was told the transmission warmer runs in reverse to cool as well. If you get an overhead light/warning change your fluid and change it at the recommended intervals.

28. Oct 18, 2019 at 9:16 AM
    Genuine Cooling Systems

Member:
    It is not acceptable to get a over temp warning towing half the trucks rated capacity and smelling burned ATF. Shrugging it off saying oh well I guess I'll change the fluid now is not the right answer. What's the issue with finding a permanent fix? I enjoy finding solutions to issues, even on my new truck. Let's try and keep this thread about fixing the issue.

Ghost23, jetfishn, specter208 and 9 others like this.
  29. Oct 18, 2019 at 10:01 AM
    Eric32444

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    its poll, not pole....anyway, i guess your truck has the second cooler...thats why its no concern to you...

i enjoy perfecting my truck so that it lasts a long time ...not buying trucks every 6 or 7 years...

Boosted4runner, Cthulhu and Y0TA PR0 like this.
  30. Oct 18, 2019 at 10:03 AM
    Eric32444

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    your truck also have a cooler?...well, ours does not.

Ghost23, Cthulhu and Y0TA PR0 like this.
To Top