1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Won't shift into 5th and 6th gear...

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by BlueTundra14, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Aug 8, 2018 at 4:13 AM
    koditten

koditten New Member

Member:
    Thank you for the update. Glad it is sonsometh simple.

2. Dec 13, 2018 at 11:48 AM
    Ardnut2

Ardnut2 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Vehicle:
    2014 tundra 4WD
    Just experienced the same thing you described; 2014 4WD tundra not shifting to 5 th or 6th gear. Ran codes and they were numerous with the first one being to change the battery. Did so and all codes cleared and tranny is now shifting perfectly. Shop first tried to tell me I needed $7500 transmission. They wanted to sell me a new vehicle.

3. Dec 13, 2018 at 12:26 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    So the battery causetit not to go into fifth and sixth gear? Wow that’s really stupid LOL

Trooper2 and Kerch71 like this.
  4. Dec 13, 2018 at 1:13 PM
    koditten

koditten New Member

Member:
    You do know disconnecting the battery will clear codes?

I hope the issue is a bad battery. Keep us informed.

5. Dec 14, 2018 at 5:54 AM
    Ardnut2

Ardnut2 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Vehicle:
    2014 tundra 4WD
    In the words of Gump “Stupid is as stupid does”. I think that not trying the first code on the diagnostic print out, which was “Change battery”, and moving forward with the latter codes suggesting replacement of the transmission, would have been “STUPID”. The battery was the original battery and while I am no electrical engineer, I suspect it was experiencing internal problems leading to failure that was affecting impedance in some of the more sophisticated electronic control systems (ECU processor and related closed loop end devices and sensors).

And yes, I do know that disconnecting the battery will clear the codes, but only temporarily. My success was not measured by or determined based on my ability to clear the codes. In fact, the absence of a fault code is more disturbing to me since I have no starting point to begin the troubleshooting process.

What started with a check engine light, a loss of traction control warning light and an engine running 3200 Rpms at 65mph has been resolved with a new battery. I have driven over 800 miles since without the slightest hiccup in the drive train.

I’m not saying this is THE fix for anyone experiencing Tundra tranny issues. I’m just taking the time to share my experience in a world where the very high tech controls that make life so much better can cost you dearly if you aren’t diligent in leaving no stone unturned.

When people take the time to share experience, we all learn and prosper so thanks for you time in reading and posting to this conversation. Had it not been for this forum and the sharing of ideas by everyone on it, I probably would not have been so proactive in pursuing the correct resolution to my own, and apparantly unique, problem. I will be sure to keep everyone posted if circumstances change.

6. Aug 1, 2019 at 10:04 AM
    Yoyogurl

Yoyogurl New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 toyota tundra 4x4
    So I have the 2008 tundra sr5 4x4 doing the same. It will jot shift into the higher gears. I have run diagnostics on it. Three codes came up..."shift silinoid d shift performance or stuck off dtc trouble code"
    "Pc silinoid valve"
    And also "ecm"

7. Aug 8, 2019 at 8:35 AM
    ConnSmythe

ConnSmythe New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2007 Blue SR5
    So, I recently purchased a 2007 Tundra Sr5 4x4 and it too is doing this. Read the codes when it was in llimp home mode, they pointed to 2 solenoids, replaced them (which was a challenge as the pan had never been removed), reset the codes. And just drove it 5 miles, no limp home mode, no check engine light, but also NO 5th or 6th gear. :-( Really hoping someone finds the silver bullet that fixes this issue.

8. Aug 8, 2019 at 8:45 AM
    Kerch71

Kerch71 Surgical Precision

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM SC TRD Pro/ICON/Total Chaos Build
    CM TRD Pro glass panels, Icon 2.5, TC long travel UCA/LCA, Toyota supercharger, Airlift rear suspension, Warn winch, custom front and rear bumper, Coachbuilder roof rack, lengthened chassis 12", 37" Nitto Grapplers, custom graphics, Magnaflow Flowmaster 4" SS Exhaust
    My 2014 is doing a similar thing, and I switch to S mode to see what gear I'm in as well. Mine will sometimes shift to 5th and 6th, sometimes I have to switch to S mode and do it myself. It's frustrating to say the least. Just had it serviced and there were no codes in the tranny module. I also have a Bully Dog tuner and it's not showing any codes either. I do know based on the tuner RPM that it is truly only in 4th. I'm a bit perplexed as well. Guess I'll go get it scanned again and see if it's throwing any new codes.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  9. Oct 23, 2022 at 6:48 PM
    1sadDriver

1sadDriver New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra
    I have a 2008 Tundra I bought used. 2 weeks after I got it, it quit shifting into 5th and 6th gear. Codes said solenoid, it was very expensive and I wasn't sure it was a solenoid. I checked things and tried things and was really getting frustrated. For some reason I decided to remove the (2) ground wires from the wire harness where they were bolted to the body. I also removed the ground from the battery where it was bolted to the body. Cleaned everything with a wire brush and bolted them back. I then drove 513 miles without and issue, the tranny shifted flawlessly. I repeated the cleaning using a dremel and burr bit, and have driven it roughly 5000 miles, and then it started to hard shift. Now it wont go past 3rd gear. Have not been able to check codes yet. And ideas what the ground had to do with any of this?

Products Discussed in

To Top