1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wobble with new method wheels and cooper tires

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by cdmagor, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Sep 5, 2018 at 5:29 PM
    cdmagor

cdmagor [OP] @tundra4by4

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Denver Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra
    Toytec 3/1 Eibach Lift Coachbuilder +2 Shackels 285/75/18 Nitto Tires Method Racing Wheels
    It’s set to 35

Watt maker likes this.
  2. Sep 5, 2018 at 5:50 PM
    cdmagor

cdmagor [OP] @tundra4by4

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Denver Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra
    Toytec 3/1 Eibach Lift Coachbuilder +2 Shackels 285/75/18 Nitto Tires Method Racing Wheels
    After some more driving alignment seems pretty spot on. Wobble stilll happens between 55-65. It is
    Pretty mild.

Called two different 4 wheel parts stores and they said this is extremely common in Tundras. They said they lift them for dealerships and they all have a mild wobble in that speed range and there’s nothing you can do to get rid of it... how true could this be?

Am I just being extremely OCD? Is mild wobble somewhat normal?

equin likes this.
  3. Sep 5, 2018 at 6:04 PM
    TitoBaggins

TitoBaggins New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Pro
    I'm in the same boat as you with the Cooper LTX right now. Just tried the balance beads. No luck. Next I'll try the alignment. Keep us posted, if you find anything that works.

4. Sep 5, 2018 at 6:12 PM
    cdmagor

cdmagor [OP] @tundra4by4

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Denver Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra
    I’m starting to think it’s the tires...

5. Sep 5, 2018 at 6:20 PM
    jordanpop1

jordanpop1 New Member

Member:
    Dude. Discount tire can’t balance a tire to save their life. This is no joke.

I had them balance my wife’s 4Runner with Ko2 4 times. They even replaced the tires. I told them this wasnt the issue and to balance them again. Nope. Wobbly. Around 50-60 and with breaking. Took them to an offroad shop, balanced the tires and smooth as glass.

Really all my fault, should have taken it somewhere else after the first retry at balancing. Guys at the offroad shop we’re laughing at the way they balanced them.

Watt maker likes this.
  6. Sep 5, 2018 at 6:21 PM
    cdmagor

cdmagor [OP] @tundra4by4

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Denver Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra
    My off road shop checked my front 2 tires and said they were damn near balanced. He said maybe he could have added a 1/2 a bar.

7. Sep 5, 2018 at 6:46 PM
    equin

equin Texarican Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Sky DC SR5 5.7L 4x4 TSS Package
    TRD Rear Anti-sway bar, TRD Pro skid plate, Bedrug bed mat, 17" Icon Rebounds, 315/70/17 BFG AT/K02, Bilstein 6112s front (for now), Fox 2.5 Remote Reservoirs rear, Diamondback SE, Dirtydeeds Industries 8" stainless BAMuffler, aFe dry air filter, TRD air intake accelerator
    When I had the dealer-installed 20" TSS chrome wheels and smallish tires, my truck had no steering wheel shimmy. When I switched to 18" MB 352 wheels and 275/70/18 BFG AT/KO2s, I got a slight shimmy between 58-68 mph. But pretty much every set of BFG all-terrains have done that and have been difficult to balance in every Toyota 4x4 vehicle I've had in the past 21 years or so. The shimmy has usually been slight enough to notice but not intolerable, so I learned to live with and expect it with BFGs. But it sounds like the OP's issue is much worse than mine, though.

8. Sep 5, 2018 at 7:34 PM
    jordanpop1

jordanpop1 New Member

Member:
    Yeah, I just get quotes from them now and price match buy somewhere else. I had issues with my Tacoma and tundra balancing at a different location. They just aren’t good with the oversized stuff

9. Sep 5, 2018 at 7:43 PM
    cdmagor

cdmagor [OP] @tundra4by4

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Denver Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra
    Good to know. I’ve heard bigger tires can be hard too.

10. Sep 5, 2018 at 7:54 PM
    reaper3030

reaper3030 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Vehicle:
    Tundra 2018 SR5 4X4 Concrete Crewcab
    Rock star wheels, off road tires, LED interior lights, LED fog lights, and .50 cal antenna.
    My Coopers were a pain in the ass to balance but they got there. I’ve never had a wobble but the guy I had put them on there said it wasn’t easy. I thought it was rims but now this thread has me thinking it is tires that caused a problem.

Rica25 likes this.
  11. Sep 5, 2018 at 9:44 PM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    Had a shimmy wobble when I put new tires on. It ended up being a tire that balanced normaly but not able to be road force balanced. I called the manufacturer (Mickey Thompson), they verified my authorized dealer and sent me a new one no questions asked... Pretty awesome people @ MT! My shop was able to road force balance the tire... No more wobble. (Pro suspension w/coachbuilder shims and shackles, carrier drop, and steering tie-rods 34.3" tires). Aside from the tire, my shop had suggested that if the new tire didn't fix it they would be dismounting the tires and checking each wheel to ensure they were tru. Maybe the wheel itself is warped ever so slightly that it is the epicenter of the wobble and not the tire.!

Watt maker and equin like this.
  12. Sep 6, 2018 at 4:09 PM
    cdmagor

cdmagor [OP] @tundra4by4

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Denver Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra
    I have no doubt that it’s either the wheels or tires. Discount is going to swap out everything for new ones.

I have now had the truck aligned 3 times and had the tires balanced 3 times. Each balance they have said they were off before and they fixed them... this is with road force balancing too. They’ve moved weight in every single one.

Toyotoholic[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Sep 6, 2018 at 6:50 PM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    IMG_20180906_215916~2.jpg Did you get a print out of the balancing? My shop had a nice screenshot of when the tech finished, at least it was a visual confirmation for me that they did all they could. All wheels ended @ 0.0

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  14. Sep 6, 2018 at 7:09 PM
    cdmagor

cdmagor [OP] @tundra4by4

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Denver Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra
    I think I’ve figured out at least part of the issue. The wheels I have are lug centric vs hub centric and they aren’t able to use a hub centric ring. I’m going to switch to a hub centric wheel and I think it will make a difference.

Watt maker likes this.
  15. Sep 6, 2018 at 7:14 PM
    Rica25

Rica25 Got Bam? IG ......@TNDRA08

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricardo
    Tulare
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White Tundra/14 Cement FJ
    TRD sway bar...addictive audio sub woofer.....Volant intake.....Black Rhino Glamis wheels....Billstein adjustable shocks
    I had same issue until the manager balanced them because he had the most experience and my issue was fixed then few months later the tires went bad they were coopers and they gave me credit so I purchased toyos and they were great just didn't like the size so 3 months later I switched them to the Nittos RGs

reaper3030[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Sep 6, 2018 at 7:20 PM
    Rica25

Rica25 Got Bam? IG ......@TNDRA08

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricardo
    Tulare
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White Tundra/14 Cement FJ
    TRD sway bar...addictive audio sub woofer.....Volant intake.....Black Rhino Glamis wheels....Billstein adjustable shocks
    I work at a Honda dealer and recently I had a customer buy some tires and got them balance next day we had to re balance because customer complained then following day same issue so I finally go out to the master technician and I asked him to balance 2 tires and then re inspect the first one he did and it was off again so then I told him and he realized our machine was not calibrated or there was something wrong with it.....so we called the service people to come and calibrate it and they said it was really off......we had to balance those tires 4 times finally we sent to a road force machine and the problem was solved

Sas, equin and jordanpop1 like this.
  17. Sep 8, 2018 at 8:12 PM
    equin

equin Texarican Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD Rear Anti-sway bar, TRD Pro skid plate, Bedrug bed mat, 17" Icon Rebounds, 315/70/17 BFG AT/K02, Bilstein 6112s front (for now), Fox 2.5 Remote Reservoirs rear, Diamondback SE, Dirtydeeds Industries 8" stainless BAMuffler, aFe dry air filter, TRD air intake accelerator
    Just an update, but my Cooper Discoverer XLTs appear to have been balanced well after having them installed at Discount Tire today. I only drove about 20-30 highway miles afterward, but thankfully no steering wheel shimmy. So far, they feel smooth as glass, but I’ve only driven them 30 or so miles. Hoping they won’t fall out of balance later on. Only issue I have is that the TPMS light came on after about 20 or so miles of driving, but that’s a different issue that should be easily fixed when I bring it back in.

I did notice most of the shop crew were youngsters that looked like they were in their late teens and early 20’s. Not to say their youth means they don’t know how to balance tires, but I know many may look at age as a factor when considering experience. The young man who did mine took awhile and later apologized for how long it took him, but I told him I appreciated the fact that he took the time to do it right. When asked about the difficulty to balance them, he said they were difficult to do so and added that everything about Tundras is generally more difficult to do compared to other vehicles.

FWIW, the Coopers I got are 285/75/17 on 17” Icon Rebounds with +25 offset. No rubbing with 6112s set at the 1.9” mark and after having previously removed the front plastic bumper liner to trim later, but I digress.

TheBeast likes this.
  18. Sep 8, 2018 at 8:28 PM
    equin

equin Texarican Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, although I don’t know if the OP got his issue resolved. I only posted my concern above since I had on order the same brand and model tire some on here were having trouble with.

But yeah, the tire tech said the same thing - size and weight of Tundra tires - especially those like mine that are slightly bigger than stock - as being difficult compared with other, smaller tire/wheel combos. He didn’t mention the brand or model as being difficult, but he may have been trying to be diplomatic and not wanting to bad-mouth any particular brand or tire model after having paid for a set.

19. Sep 14, 2018 at 11:41 AM
    TitoBaggins

TitoBaggins New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Pro
    Just following up on my truck. I took it to Discount Tire and they sucked the beads out, rebalanced and voila. Everything is well . Nice smooth ride. No shimmy. Happy face .
    Cooper AT3 LTX 275/70/r18.

equin and Watt maker like this.
  20. Sep 15, 2018 at 9:42 AM
    cdmagor

cdmagor [OP] @tundra4by4

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Denver Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra
    That’s awesome!!

To follow up about my issue. All in all I spent 3 weeks with this stressful wobble. Balanced all 4 wheels and tires 3 different time, got 4 different alignments. My new nitto g2’s And 4 new method wheels came in finally. Installed those and the truck rides like it’s on glass!

Pretty sure my rotors are warped and Toyota is going to check that out, I don’t think it’s related to the tire install. If I had to guess, I think I got a tire that wasn’t round. I’ll never buy cooper again.

Talk about a relief.

Watt maker likes this.
  21. Sep 15, 2018 at 1:26 PM
    Buzzkill

Buzzkill New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra

22. Sep 15, 2018 at 1:28 PM
    Buzzkill

Buzzkill New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra
    Had the same problem. Warped rotors was the fix.

Products Discussed in

To Top