1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wiring help

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by icheng101, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Mar 13, 2022 at 7:42 PM
    Brown747

Brown747 New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Crew Max LTD
    Where is this connector located? Thx

2. Mar 13, 2022 at 11:35 PM
    RainMan_PNW

RainMan_PNW SSEM #82 RGBA #4 “That Guy” Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro CM
    Check the build link in my signature.
    The 12-pin Shift Lock ECU? It’s part of the floor shifter assembly. You get to it by removing the trim around the shifter.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
  3. Mar 13, 2022 at 11:51 PM
    Brown747

Brown747 New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Crew Max LTD
    Thx…. Need location of 12 pin connector for shift lock ECU for my ‘21 Limited , smart key , console shift.

4. Mar 14, 2022 at 2:31 PM
    RainMan_PNW

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    Hit the wiring diagram thread in my signature
    Download the location diagrams
    Search for J193
    That’s the connector you are looking for.

it is either in the front or the back of the shifter housing underneath the center console area. I’m currently on my phone traveling so can’t pull the details up at the moment

5. Mar 14, 2022 at 11:21 PM
    Brown747

Brown747 New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Crew Max LTD
    I’ll check it out…thx much.

6. Jan 26, 2023 at 6:52 PM
    Poppy

Poppy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 DCB

Excellent info here RainMan. Really appreciate you sharing the connector details.
    I am trying to move from console shift to column shift on my 2009 SR5 Double Cab and put in that extra middle seat.. If I am understanding this correctly, I will need the plug/cable for the column shifter transmission control switch connector, A Shift Lock ECU from a column shift truck(Probably can just cut and join wires from it) , and female connectors for the plugs that go on both sides of the floor shifter ??

7. Jan 26, 2023 at 8:49 PM
    RainMan_PNW

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    I would need to look at the 2009 diagrams from my EWD thread and confirm the differences to do from floor shift to column shift

Poppy[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Feb 23, 2023 at 9:28 AM
    PapaHepcat

PapaHepcat New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black Tundra Dbl Cab Base
    3" Lift, Remote Start, Bed Rack, Fold-Down Back Seat Mod, Front & Rear Cameras, Heated Seats, CarPlay, LED Lighting (Hi & Low Headlights, Fog, Reverse, Cargo), Fender Flares, Tow Mirrors, Trailer Brake Controller, Spray-in Bed Liner
    How'd your puddle light install go? I've been thinking about doing something similar on mine.

9. Feb 26, 2023 at 7:36 AM
    Poppy

Poppy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 DCB

Hi @RainMan_PNW ,
    Finally got parts needed, and half way in to finishing this up - Moving console shift to column, and adding middle seat in.

What I have done so far:
    - put new extended shifter cable that goes from column shifter to transmission.
    - Put a column shift in from a totalled truck, it has J25 connector?? (picture attached of the connector wires)
    - Took the shift lock ecu out of the old console shifter, and used that to make a custom cable that could reach the column shifter. (Wires to column shifter connected for the manual S(+/- )shifts, and the manual shit mode detection ).
    -With manual shift unlock, shifter can take transmission through P R N D S(+/-)

Now the problem and part I am confused about:
    I am not able to get the automatc shif unlock working.
    There is 4 other wires that comes out of the shift lock ECU (one is shift lock solenoid, Other seem to be shifter position detection between park and other modes) Picture attached- Shift lock solenoid wires, i connected them to same on column (to green/black)
    - where does the other two should go to?
    Did some checks on the pink/purple wires and they are connected to a 3 position microswitch inside the shifter assembly. Pink/Purple Wires get shorted thru the switch when console shifter moved out of Park.Purple wire and NotConnected position on micro switch gets shorted in Park position. Essentially the wires looked like they are to help detect in/out of Park.
    There is a simillar 3 wire set(white with black stripe, yellow, red)from the column shifter, Out of which white with black stripe is the common.
    - Common and Yellow gets shorted on 'Park',
    - Common and Red gets shorted on other positions.
    I tried to match them Up pink-purple to common-red , but still the automatic shift unlock is not working.
    Here is the wires on the column shifter assembly, not sure which year assembly is from 2010 or 2011 I believe.

Could you share your thoughts on this please..

PXL_20230226_152324965~2.jpg
    PXL_20230226_151325466~2.jpg

10. Feb 26, 2023 at 11:20 AM
    RainMan_PNW

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    Have you pulled down the EWD, and searched it for J24 (connector in the Floor Shift Transmission Control Switch) and J25 (connector in the Column Shift Transmission Control Switch)? Never go off of colors...it is very common for a wire to route to a junction connector as one color and leave that junction as a different color. The only thing that is for sure is to trace out the function, the connector, and the pin.

The components are different. I'm pretty sure what you're trying to do with that unit (pulling it out of the floor shifter) isn't going to work, because you don't have all the parts you need. Not that you can't use the wires that are in the console area, but you'll have to map all the right wires to the right places. The key interlock and shift lock are separate in the floor shift (J21 and J24) and they are combined in the column lock (J25). The floor shift has a dedicated tow/haul switch, while the column shifter transmission control switch has it integrated into the switch. The shift lock solenoids are different (J27 on the floor shift, J30 on the column shift). If that shifter came from a 2010 or 2011, then the biggest differences are in location of some of those parts - the shift lock ecu moved to the passenger side over behind the glove box in 2010. The wiring diagrams (from a pin-out standpoint) are essentially the same though.

In the 2009 EWD, you need to look at the "Electronically Controlled Transmission" diagram for the correct engine you have. For example, this is from the 5.7L V8 (3UR-FE).
    upload_2023-2-26_10-56-59.jpg
    pay attention to the items marked as *2 (from a floor shift) vs *3 (from a column shift), because those are the specific things you'll need to be looking to re-route or re-direct. But you also need to pay attention to anything else that might be routed differently.

Additionally, you need to research the "Shift Lock" EWDs for both the floor and column shift models.
    upload_2023-2-26_11-0-24.jpg upload_2023-2-26_11-1-5.jpg

Also need to search those connectors and find where they are located in the different models and find a source for the correct parts (i.e. the shift lock control ECU).

For each component, and each "function" you need to determine where it is located on your truck and then route it to the correct location/component on the new equipment. For instance, the IG power on your truck's shift lock ECU is a pink wire on pin 8 of connector J27 located down at your original floor shifter. That wire needs to route instead to pin 4 on connector J30 on the column shift lock ECU. The four wires coming out of your floor shift lock ECU don't correspond to the same four wires that go between the column shift ECU and the transmission control switch because of where/how the integrations are set up (your floor ECU is inside of the console shifter so the key solenoid is separate, while the column shifter integrates the entire solenoid lock directly into the shifter). You can also see here that the "STP" function leaving the shift lock ECU is red until it reaches a junction connector and then turns to gray - a perfect example of why matching colors is no bueno.

You are close, but need to be careful about trying to simply re-use components and matching wire colors. It looks like your mapping to J24 is working (the 5 wires) - the other two wires there are for illumination of the shifter positions in the floor shifter so you don't need those. But you need to get the correct shift lock ECU and get all of the wires mapped between the console area J27 connector, over to the shift lock ECU, and get all of them routed into the J25 connector on your column control switch.

Poppy[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Feb 26, 2023 at 2:23 PM
    Poppy

Poppy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 DCB
    PXL_20230304_004117152.jpg PXL_20230306_133004892.jpg PXL_20230306_133040665.jpg
    Thank you @RainMan_PNW so much for your input.

Update:
    Got it all done and running good last week. Had to source a Shift Lock Ecu from a column shift truck and wire it up matching the function, Not colors as illustrated in the EWD.
    Got it all hooked up right on the first go, and seem working good for past few days.

Regards

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    RainMan_PNW likes this.
  12. Feb 26, 2023 at 3:34 PM
    NewImprovedRon

NewImprovedRon New Old Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2015 Radiant Red Tundra