1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why shouldn't I get a new f150?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by 2015TundraCrewXP, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Oct 26, 2019 at 6:47 AM
    jeremyd

jeremyd 2014 Crewmax SR5

Member:
    NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4X4
    ProComp 7" 35/12.50/18 -11
    Don't feel bad OP. The F150 does look better.

2. Oct 26, 2019 at 6:52 AM
    akmerle

akmerle New Member

Member:
    Wasilla, AK
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum & 2020 Jeep SRT
    My work truck is a 2019 crew with the v-6. If you aren’t towing then it does fine, and it’s surprising how well it moves when in sport mode. Only 4K miles on it, so no quality / reliability / maintenance issues. Does just fine for a work truck. Still has back up cam, Bluetooth, and power window / locks.

That being said..... no way would I trade your Tundra for it. If anything, save your money, and then when they release the next gen f-150 in a year or two you will be able to find a screaming deal on the previous gen models with the much more desirable eco boost motors.

3. Oct 26, 2019 at 6:57 AM
    WillieMan

WillieMan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Tundra Platinum
    I think it has been said multiple times but that motor will only disappoint. I had a 2018 F150 with 2.7l which is an ecoboost unlike the 3.3 but the damn thing is junk. I was towing around 5k for about 200 miles pulled over to get gas and it wouldn’t start. Brand new with 12k miles. Oil leak. It got fixed. But I was ecstatic to get into the Tundra.
    Also are you sure you are actually getting more tech. At that price with that motor that is probably a base model.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  4. Oct 26, 2019 at 6:59 AM
    2015TundraCrewXP

2015TundraCrewXP [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra Crew Max XP
    20" blacks wheels, trd pro grille, color matched fender flares and handles, steel rear bumper, black leather, bakflip cover, spyder led headlights
    this is a great post and I agree. It actually fired me up a bit to see how many miles I can get out of this thing as I did buy this because I knew I would run it a lot and wanted reliability and resell should I want to sell it. thanks for the support everyone... I may have made a bad decision.

5. Oct 26, 2019 at 7:01 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    Maybe that's how Ford meets their CAFE requirements. They'd like to encourage you to walk if you're only going two blocks.:rofl:

6. Oct 26, 2019 at 7:06 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    I have a particular fondness for my grandfather's 1985 Dodge Ram 150 farm truck that I learned to drive on but, based on my family's experience, that was one of the last good full size Dodges. My uncle keeps buying one ton Cummins because he's had fewer problems with them than with the two Powerstrokes he owned but they still don't have anything approaching what I would consider reliability.

My friend has a 1996 Dakota RCSB 2WD MT that's stood the test of time but that thing is smaller than my compact car...

15whtrd likes this.
  7. Oct 26, 2019 at 8:42 AM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    I had a 2013 F150. That truck, 3 dealerships and Ford corporate made sure there will never be another Ford in our family, immediate or extended, ever again.

The comments here about the F150 forum are interesting. Glad to see I'm not the only one who experienced bitter, small minded, angry people. I was legitamately happy with owning a Ford and excited to be a F150 owner when I first bought it. But as I spent more time on the forums watching person after person have trouble with their trucks and as problems came up with mine and I posted for advice, the responses I got ended up being basically in line with what the dealerships and Ford corporate told me: "Oh, that's a common problem", "oh, that's considered normal for these trucks". Last I checked, major electrical malfunctions, failure to start and a myriad of other issues on a truck with 40,000KMS on it isn't normal. When I posted about this, I was inundated with people insulting me for daring to question Ford, people telling me to piss off and buy a Prius and others.

Toyota trucks are simply more reliable. Period. Full stop. The Toyota community is a group of people who genuinely love their vehicles and have chosen to drive Toyota in a large part because of the reliability and fanboy (and girl) support. The community here on this board especially is incredible. Best forum I've ever been on.

I'm officially a drinker of the Toyota KoolAid now. :D

8. Oct 26, 2019 at 10:10 AM
    MICKs18yota

MICKs18yota New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR
    FWIW a buddy had a 17 F150 it was in the shop more than on the road transmission and 4wd problems the final straw was the aluminum bed the bed got hit and it required a new bed they couldn’t fix it because of the aluminum construction. Needless to say after the truck was fixed it was gone. He bought a Chevy but he is not happy with that but it’s not in the shop like the Ford was he said in a couple of years he going to try to get a Toyota he’s waiting to see if the TSS stuff gets worked out.

9. Oct 26, 2019 at 10:34 AM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Trd sways, bullydog, magnaflow, sumo springs
    Buying a tundra is like marrying an 8 who will still be a 7 in her 50’s.

Buying the f150 is like marrying the 9 who quickly goes down to a 4-5 with age

classiccat, akmerle, Outbound and 2 others like this.
  10. Oct 26, 2019 at 10:48 AM
    daveyjames207

daveyjames207 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DC 4x4 5.7 Off Road Nautical Blue Metallic
    You guys are all correct about the forums. Toyota people seem to have been led to Toyotas by research, advice from independent mechanics and word of mouth. They genuinely love their trucks, love the mods they’ve done and also (this is very important) GENUINELY LOVE what others have done to their Toyotas. It is an appreciative community of like minded individuals. Ford forums are honestly some of the most depressing stories I have ever read. The frustration, lack of empathy and just general lack of knowledge and research bleeds out into every pissed off individual expressing distain over their purchase. I feel sorry for a lot of these folks, as us Tundra owners really love our trucks. At least I know I do ‍♂️

11. Oct 26, 2019 at 10:54 AM
    JimboSlice413

JimboSlice413 Super Nice Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Bakersfield
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited 4x4, 2003 Sequoia
    Bilstein 5100/5160 Toyo at2 295/70r18 Ray10 GunMetal
    https://www.f150forum.com/f118/f150-vs-tundra-408270/index2/
    I skimmed through this and was surprised to see mostly love for the Tundra. Seems most people had concerns with mpg, price, no true remodel since 07 and a lack of luxury technologies that are abundant on today's vehicles. All legitimate arguments. The thread covers a lot of what we are discussing here and one reoccurring subject keeps coming up when describing the Tundra, reliability. If you want a reason not to buy an F150, there it is. However, there are tons of owners out there that have trouble free F150s, not every one keels over under 100k. They look really sharp, inside and out, and you can usually chop off a significant amount off sticker on a good day. If I were to get into a Ford it would be because of a Raptor, because they are super badass. I also heard for 2020 they come with free flat bill hats and Monster tshirts, which is a plus.

Zero One Actual and glowblue like this.
  12. Oct 27, 2019 at 3:42 AM
    plumber802

plumber802 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Platinum CM
    I won't judge the OP. I went looking at Cummins and Duramax trucks last week. Made me fall in love with my Tundra all over again.

13. Oct 27, 2019 at 4:19 AM
    georgie

georgie New Member

Member:
    Tundra to a f150 come on now you're kidding I hope ??? F150 is gizmos and bobbles that the uniformed go for. Technology over reliability. Most of the tech on the new f150 is just plain useless.

14. Oct 27, 2019 at 4:40 AM
    CMB

CMB New Member

Member:
    Cecil County MD.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra DC 4X4 SR5
    Not nearly enough room here!
    I thought so when I looked at 'em in 2010 and I still like their lines/equipment better than my Tundra. It's when I educated myself on the differences between the two that my decision was made.
    I believe the more "do it for me" equipment that gets tacked onto new vehicles, the less long-term reliability we can expect. We see evidence of this on a few of the newer Tundras with some of their electronic nannies failing.
    Uninformed for sure, especially the lazy, no research/effort crowd. Listening and reading some of their ignorant comments, you'd think our Tundras came over from Japan, on the same ships that launched the attack on Pearl Harbor!

15. Oct 27, 2019 at 4:48 AM
    georgie

georgie New Member

Member:
    The time new f150 owners read and learn about their tech on the truck, most of it doesn't work anymore !!

16. Oct 27, 2019 at 6:10 AM
    Badger Co-Op

Badger Co-Op Blood sausage, cheese, and lutefisk; hit me!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    WISCO
    Yup.

I see you are in SC, so this MIGHT not make a difference; there is an ambient temperature break point for gas mileage with those turbos, it takes a crap once hitting a certain level of "cold".

Last time I had the F250 PSD in at the dealership (5 years ago) they wanted it bad, tried to put me into one of those you are looking at w/twin turbos, little V-6. Old salty parts counter dude gave me the lowdown on their mpg sucking in the cold. So, if you travel north in the winter, you'll be stopping for fuel even more than they say.

Anyways, this IS truck season; sell the 'Yota yourself and come out ahead, if you MUST.

17. Oct 27, 2019 at 6:23 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    The 3.3L V6 is not the EcoBoost engine. That one is 3.5L. The 3.3 is their base motor, pretty much only good for fleets and guys who want to use their truck like a car and brag about fuel economy. It would be equivalent to GM's 4.3L V6 or Ram's 3.6 L V6.

Badger Co-Op[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Oct 27, 2019 at 10:36 AM
    Badger Co-Op

Badger Co-Op Blood sausage, cheese, and lutefisk; hit me!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    WISCO
    Thanks for the correction. With the 7.3 PSD I'm not really in to studying small v-6 things. Only question I ever had to ask is "What size is the hitch ball we need today?"

I WAS a fan of the Raptors, then they went to the little V-6s in THAT!?! Sin.

19. Oct 27, 2019 at 5:12 PM
    glowblue

glowblue From time to time

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 —> 2021 F-250 XLT
    I went with my SR DC because it was low tech. Every vehicle I’ve had with hi tech has problems - it never works right and always has issues.

Id love to disable TSS adaptive cruise control, PCS, etc. apparently someone thinks a computer can drive better than me.

Brownsfanhere and Cpl_Punishment like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top