1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why do ppl need safety equipments in cars?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by helpmeout, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Mar 5, 2019 at 3:43 AM
    Hammerdog

Hammerdog YCMTSUP

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    Louisa VA
    Vehicle:
    2018 tundra sport crew max
    Tint Bed cover Red Tow Hooks TRD Intake 7 inch BDS 22x12’s 35 Toyo’s Rigid ditch lights RC light bar in bottom grille One bad ass stereo
    God only knows how many live have been saved by some of these new safety features.

Ps3udonymous and Blueline like this.
  2. Mar 5, 2019 at 3:57 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    All of this tech can't replace training and experience, and it will end up making the roads more dangerous than ever. America should instead develop a national driver training & testing standard, and make damn sure the individual can drive. And for the love of God, come up with an app that forces slow drivers to get out of the way!

3. Mar 5, 2019 at 4:18 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    My Lady works with a man that backed over and killed one of his grandchildren. Always safe, never any traffic violations, and yet he backed over his grandchild. His vehicle was not equipped with a back up camera or sonar.

Safety equipment is there to improve your already good driving habits. What I mean by that is if you only rely on the back up camera, your doomed. On the flip side, if you still look in all mirrors, blind spots AND use the back up camera, your safety increases.

If you don’t believe that, then go buy a 1966 Mercury Comet. No safety features at all, seat belts were not even mandated. Make sure you figure out how to switch from high/low beams before driving.

Hammerdog, Ostrich, joonbug and 2 others like this.
  4. Mar 5, 2019 at 4:27 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Who allowed the grand kid to be in harms way while a vehicle was being moved?

5. Mar 5, 2019 at 4:37 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I guess there’s always someone to blame in this perfect world we live in, don’t you agree?

Hammerdog likes this.
  6. Mar 5, 2019 at 4:43 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    There is usually someone that fails to accept responsibility and refuses to hold themselves accountable. Grandad probably blames himself, and the other parties involved are probably willing let him shoulder their guilt. Poor bastard.

7. Mar 5, 2019 at 4:48 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Another thing about all of this tech is it's ability to spy on you and others in ways most probably are not aware of.

8. Mar 5, 2019 at 4:51 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    I’m noticing a different driving pattern with (mostly) younger people in 20-30yrs range. Seems as if once a day, I get honked at or harassed because they want to get into my lane. Its as if (I am imagining), their new(er) car is beeping warnings at them and they are getting frustrated and then take it out by honking. Or, the more dangerously speed up or even more dangerously slow down abruptly and aggressively swerve over. (Yeah here come the saftey feature works! comments).

I understand what the OP is saying and think he is trying to say there has to be some personal responsibility involved with how we drive WITHOUT it being mandated on us by guvment. He can obviously drive and park a truck and doesn’t need all the crap nannies.

Lastly, I think these nannies are enabling kids to drive and text because it gives them a feeling of safety. The worst offenders are women! Usually of the child rearing age. You see them speeding around after dropping off little Katelyn at school or rushing to go pick them up. They are oblivious to what they drove past because their face is on a little screen.

There is a quote by Patrick Henry that talks about chains and hoping they wear lightly around your neck. Go check it out for yourself.

OP don’t take any crap from some of these old farts commenters on here. Give it back the old school way!

Eric32444 and Rex Kramer like this.
  9. Mar 5, 2019 at 4:53 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    My DAP tune did the opposite, so the first thing I did was upgrade my trucks tires to match up with the newer high speed capability. Speed never killed anyone... the sudden stop is what kills people.

10. Mar 5, 2019 at 4:53 AM
    Moon Puppy

Moon Puppy I'm not new!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited
    They been saying it for 50 years.

11. Mar 5, 2019 at 5:05 AM
    airgunner

airgunner New Member

Member:
    N-KY
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC MGM TRD
    Seat belts and airbags are safety equipment. Backup camera's are a convenience item. I'm OK with that stuff. Parking assist is for people too stupid or lazy to learn how to drive. Lane departure warnings and pre-collision systems are for people too consumed with themselves or social media to bother paying attention. I personally think that shit is stupid but love it or hate it, that stuff is here to stay and will be standard on all cars within 10 years and yes, autonomous cars are the future. I'll be long gone before this happens but I bet you anything that some day in the future, manually driven cars will be banned from public roads as it will be considered too dangerous. Remember, its for the children after all o_O

12. Mar 5, 2019 at 5:07 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Well let’s just change the dynamic a bit.

A while back I was leaving with my truck. The wife let my almost worthless dog (deaf, almost blind, and moves like molasses in -30* weather) out in the back yard for his afternoon “whatever”. He likes to lay out on the front driveway and sun himself from time to time, but mostly out back to watch the wildlife.

Backing out of my garage, it would be near impossible to see him laying on the ground at the base of my garage door. I can’t see him without the back up camera. My sonar and camera alerted me to him crashed out behind my truck.

In the event I backed over him, I guess we could blame my wife for not watching him, or myself for not walking around my truck after opening the garage door, after starting the truck, every time, just like everyone else does.

In the end, maybe we can agree that maybe, just maybe....a back up camera with sonar system would have gave the grandfather a better chance of not backing over his grandchild.

Hammerdog, Ostrich, joonbug and 2 others like this.
  13. Mar 5, 2019 at 5:09 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Yep, but none of those people were distracted by an electronic screen.
    The interactive electronic screen in vehicles has caused more deaths than criminals with guns.

14. Mar 5, 2019 at 5:12 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Yes you could get out, and do a walk around before moving.

CMB likes this.
  15. Mar 5, 2019 at 5:13 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    I’m sure you do that every time. :rolleyes:

Must be nice to be perfect in every way.

Ostrich and joonbug like this.
  16. Mar 5, 2019 at 5:18 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    I walk around and check my tires before starting the vehicle, and I check & adjust my mirrors before moving the vehicle. I also tap the horn a few times before & while moving in reverse. I guess my driver training was more perfect than what others received.

17. Mar 5, 2019 at 5:19 AM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    I have known several folks that get immune to their back up sensors because the go off everyday while backing out and detect the road form sloping driveway and curbs on the opposite side of the the street. These folks have backed into other vehicles because they ignored their pesky backup warning sensors. Luckily it has only been objects or cars and not a child.

Rex Kramer likes this.
  18. Mar 5, 2019 at 5:21 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Agreed, but the electronic screen in the hand or the dash has made driving much more dangerous than it was before they were a thing.

Trooper2 likes this.
  19. Mar 5, 2019 at 5:24 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    I like reverse cameras, I don't have one in either of my trucks because I haven't found one that I like yet. Until then I will continue with my old school ways.

20. Mar 5, 2019 at 6:17 AM
    Sas

Sas Humor is everywhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    '17 SR5 CM TSS 4WD MGM 5.7 FF
    Lost track after #1.
    Yeah, but it legitimately seems to be in the works this time.

21. Mar 5, 2019 at 6:33 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    So we will also need a device that warns us when the sky is falling...

Sas[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. Mar 5, 2019 at 6:39 AM
    helpmeout

helpmeout [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 tundra CM rock warrior
    I always park backwards so I never have to worry bout hitting anyone or anything. I always check around before I go into my car like I am suppose to before moving. Hell I even backup into my clients driveway and I never hit there garage door or anything else. I don’t need no electronics to tell me how to drive.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Rex Kramer likes this.
  23. Mar 5, 2019 at 6:50 AM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    Our company's Driver Safety program, The Smith System teaches to either pull thru(empty spots) or back in. I am sure others teach this as well. Statistically backing up when leaving is very accident prone. Pulling out forward when leaving is much safer than backing out.

Backing in can actually be easier to get into a spot in a parking lot than by driving forward.

24. Mar 5, 2019 at 6:55 AM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Yep. Improve, not replace.

25. Mar 5, 2019 at 6:57 AM
    TXMiamiFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Exactly! As you and @ColoradoTJ have said, it cannot replace good driving habits. They are there to enhance, but my fear is that folks are relying too much on them and not using common sense when driving.

ColoradoTJ and Rex Kramer like this.
  26. Mar 5, 2019 at 7:01 AM
    Sas

Sas Humor is everywhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    Lost track after #1.
    Important distinction for sure. Too many of these things are making people lazy drivers. TBH, I may be driving classic cars before long as more and more vehicle manufacturers are moving in this direction. That being said, I'd also gladly ride in an autonomous vehicle for those long cross-country road trips. But the seats better be more comfortable by at least an order of magnitude by then. I'm talking la-z-boy comfortable.

TXMiamiFan[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Mar 5, 2019 at 7:03 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    It should be much harder for people to get a drivers license in this country.

Ostrich, Trooper2 and TXMiamiFan like this.
  28. Mar 5, 2019 at 7:03 AM
    TXMiamiFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    I want autonomous in the city. Get in say, say "Alexa take me to work" and off it goes. I can sit back, drink my coffee and browse tundras.com while it whisks me to work.

joonbug and Sas[QUOTED] like this.
  29. Mar 5, 2019 at 7:05 AM
    Sas

Sas Humor is everywhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    Lost track after #1.
    Yeah, if your commute sucks I can definitely see this being beneficial.

30. Mar 5, 2019 at 7:06 AM
    HappyGilmore

HappyGilmore Ex 1st Gen Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trent
    Lakewood CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Limited TRD 4x4
    I think most people are in agreement that you shouldn't rely on these features, but it could help. Regardless of how many people rely on it, even the owners manual says not to.

At work, I assemble things to specific instructions. My employer expects me to be an expert and assemble it without a mistake. Yet a Quality Assurance inspector is still required to witness and check my work, just in case I miss something. If something is important enough (human lives), it should be double checked.

BTW I'm not old (early 30s) and I can relate to the OP, and I get what he's saying. People are idiots for relying on this stuff. But the features are not completely terrible or useless.

Ostrich and TXMiamiFan like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top