1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why bolt on exhaust vs just a new muffler ??

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Jmmtjoy, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Aug 6, 2019 at 4:43 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    See that kind of stuff is what I like. So far around here they are all butchers . There might be a few good ones but I also didn’t ask around LOL. Keith really seemed like he loves what he does. He’s also fairly local to me so I feel good about spending my money with him. Especially since he’s a Tundra Guy. I like to give small businesses the work if I can. And they’re not freaking butchers LOL

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Aug 6, 2019 at 4:47 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    There are plenty of fly by night muffler shops here with sketchy work. Everyone has a different budget. After all, there wouldn't be a bazillion used tire and battery shops here!

15whtrd[QUOTED] and Rex Kramer like this.
  3. Aug 6, 2019 at 5:02 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Actually Exhaust Pro's will use clamps if you prefer and it's true some folks want it that way. On new gen trucks for example they will mock up a new system with clamps in order to be able to fine tweak it. It took them a while to come up with a decent exhaust for the Tundra that wouldn't kill off low end torque. It's what they do. All work guaranteed as long as you own your ride. No receipt required. They know their work.

15whtrd[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Aug 6, 2019 at 5:47 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I don’t necessarily want clamps I just like the stock flanges just after the Mid pipes and just before the axle.So if I ever want to go back to stock all I do is take a part three bolts LOL

5. Aug 6, 2019 at 7:23 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Nothing wrong with just buying a muffler.... I spent a grand on dual exhaust with an xpipe and resonators. I love it. But nothing wrong with what you are wanting to do. I did read his info on the type of muffler you should go with in order to make power and not lose low end tq. He said with all the testing he has done a straight flow through design works best. So a flowmaster has a chambered design.. anyway, I say do what your gut says!

And by the way, I have seen where Keith has sold just a muffler, rather than the entire bolt on cat back, to members. So you could just order a muffler from him and have it put on. Just an idea.

Jmmtjoy[OP] and 15whtrd like this.
  6. Aug 7, 2019 at 4:07 AM
    PJR202

PJR202 New Member

Member:
    Will a muffler-only swap affect gas mileage? Other than the obvious extra pedal action while enjoying the sound of course...

I know a person should never buy this truck if mileage is a big concern but I'm a long commuter so I dont want drastic mileage changes.

Rica25 likes this.
  7. Aug 7, 2019 at 5:01 AM
    10TundraSR5

10TundraSR5 Happy Tundra owner

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black Tundra SR5
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!
    I did a lot of research and decided to save the money and just do a muffler swap this time around. I went with the biggest Magnaflow so I could have a nice mellow sound with straight through performance. Unfortunately the drone was unbearable. Waaaay more than I could have ever anticipated. Within a week, I ordered the TRD system (my first pick) and had it installed. No regrets and well worth the money. It was worth it to me to pay for a system specifically designed for our truck.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    Trooper2, Black Wolf and Rica25 like this.
  8. Aug 7, 2019 at 5:27 AM
    Jmmtjoy

Jmmtjoy [OP] Livin the dream

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Bristow, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax SR5 Super White
    I like it and thats a good idea. I still havent decided either way and at the rate I just spent money on my truck this month I am going to take my time in making this decision. Thanks for the input!

TruckyTruck[QUOTED] and Rica25 like this.
  9. Aug 7, 2019 at 5:29 AM
    Mnorris1206

Mnorris1206 Super white is fast as f***

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    08 tundra
    6" lift kit 35" tires with cold air intake and exhaust
    For sound I just had a shop cut my muffler out so its straight pipes now .sounds good and only cost me 50 bucks.

Black Wolf and Rica25 like this.
  10. Aug 7, 2019 at 4:39 PM
    dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds Exhaust Fabricator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2003 and 2013 tundra
    more than I can list here
    Main reason for purchasing our system is because I’ve personally built literally hundreds of prototypes and tens of thousands of bolt on systems. Each system is hand built custom just for the end user. Nothing I make is ‘universal’, however i do have that capability and would ultimately just take an order as well.

When you use an exhaust shop to hack in a universal muffler you’re using a craftsman whom has done a handful of tundras. And there’s nothing wrong with that. But when you purchase a Bamufflers system you’re installing something that is fully reversible when you trade in your truck. At which time you have a commodity which you can sell and get some of your investment Esther than a permanent modification done to your truck that lowers its value.

For further details please feel free to give a call. My number is on my site. DirtyDeedsIndustries.com

11. Aug 8, 2019 at 5:41 PM
    Jmmtjoy

Jmmtjoy [OP] Livin the dream

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Bristow, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax SR5 Super White
    Def food for thought! Thanks for the input

Products Discussed in

To Top