1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why a Tundra over an F150?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Mark843, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Mar 13, 2018 at 6:30 AM
    airgunner

airgunner New Member

Member:
    N-KY
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC MGM TRD
    No, not really. Some people just take things too literally.

When you are talking about and comparing products, outside of documented specs and features, all we can do is state opinion, personal experience and generalities.

I just saw a mint condition 80's k-car the other day driving around. Does that mean they are/were good cars? No, that one is just an exception to the norm. There are always exceptions to the norm. Have there been Toyota's that have blown an engines or trannies with less than 100k on the clock? I don't personally know of one but I'm sure it's happened just as I know there are Fords and Chevy's out there with 200-300k miles on them.

In all honestly, most cars die prematurely due to rough use and poor maintenance rather then poor design but some designs do seem to be more forgiving of mistreatment.

All that said, there is no denying that generally speaking, Toyota's last longer without major issues then brands like Fords do. Does that mean all Toyota's will last 500k+ miles or that all Ford's are POS's and DOA by 100K? Obviously not but typically speaking, the Toyota will likely last longer and hold it's value better than a Ford will.

And just to be clear, while I am a Toyota fan, I'm more of a recent convert. I have always been a Ford fan and have owned many of them in the past and would still buy a Ford before I would a GM or Chrysler. I just don't care for Ford's recent push on "technology" and I care more about reliability then I do having the latest and greatest gadgets. YMMV?

2. Mar 13, 2018 at 6:46 AM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    17' Tundra SR5, 12' Tacoma TRD offroad
    I wouldn't dismiss the tower leak as a minor inconvenience, tearing into the motor is a pretty major repair anyway you slice it. Yeah it wont leave you stuck on the road waiting for a tow truck but it's still an unacceptable failure Imo. I just went through this with mine, 21k on the clock and they had to dig into the motor...Mine was more then a minor leak as it was dripping onto the exhaust. If you keep the truck long term and this happens out of warranty its an expensive repair, something to keep in mind. Seems everything these days has issues, you have to pick the truck that has the lesser evils and one your most comfortable in. I would also look into your dealerships, ask around and see how customers like the service they receive, the Ford dealer may be great and the Toyota dealer terrible or vice versa.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  3. Mar 13, 2018 at 7:18 AM
    Atomic City Tundra

Atomic City Tundra New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra 5.7FFV CM 4X4
    Every brand is going to have it's issues. What sold me on my Tundra was my experience with a 2005 4Runner V8. I had that for about 10 years - 110,000 miles and no problems whatsoever. I still regret selling that. I grew up a Ford guy, but after the 4Runner, I decided to get a Tundra. I love the truck, but I have had quite a few issues with it - including the Cam tower leak. I think that I may eventually sell it to get a heavy duty truck so that I can have more payload capacity. But, I wouldn't consider an F150 for the following reasons:

1. They are ugly as sin.
    2. I have heard of many problems with the Ecoboost. And the other option is a 5.0 liter. Really, a 5.0 liter is the biggest option I can get? Pffft. I had a truck with an 8.0 liter once. No replacement for displacement.
    3. I don't care if it is "military grade" - it is still Aluminum. I think it is funny that they push the "military grade" crap - "Yay, our metal satisfies a MIL-SPEC". Give me a break. Aluminum has its place for sure in Engineering scenarios - but not on my truck body.

mudslinger79 likes this.
  4. Mar 13, 2018 at 3:22 PM
    Mark843

Mark843 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    WNY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Red Tundra SR5 with TRD offroad package
    So I put a deposit on a Tundra. It will be here in a few days but I probably can't pick it up until next week due to my schedule. :(

So obviously the dealership tries to sell the add-ons. They are trying to sell me simoniz glasscoat as an alternative to 3m film. I will do some research on this stuff but anyone know if it is ligit?

5. Mar 13, 2018 at 5:11 PM
    BuckWallace

BuckWallace Ball don't lie.

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement CM Limited TRD Off-Road
    Doesn't the 5.0 have more HP and equal torque to the Tundra's 5.7?

6. Mar 13, 2018 at 6:33 PM
    Thegr8punkin

Thegr8punkin A God Damn Millenial/Sofa King Cool

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 blue sr5 2wd
    2 +5 hp stickers
    Ew chrome wheels:crapstorm:

T-Rex266 likes this.
  7. Mar 13, 2018 at 9:02 PM
    Atomic City Tundra

Atomic City Tundra New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra 5.7FFV CM 4X4
    The numbers are close. Point is that you are stretching the 5.0 more getting it to put out those numbers than a 5.7 is. I haven't seen a plot of the two torque curves on the same graph....but I am betting that the 5.7 looks better over a wider rpm range.

No replacement for displacement.

NewImprovedRon and SR5TRDTUNDRA like this.
  8. Mar 14, 2018 at 4:02 AM
    Billyclub

Billyclub New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Vehicle:
    2018 Platinum Sky Silver Tundra Crewmax
    I did not read all the posts but want to convey a story I have regarding my 2012 Ford EB F150. Let me just say up front Ford will not stand behind their vehicle.
    I bought the 2012 Ford F150 EB 6.5 bed. From the time of delivery it had the Shimmy from the drive train. After a long battle with Ford and no viable fix for the take off drivetrain shake they offered me a original owner lifetime drivetrain warranty to make me go away. Fast forward 5.5 years and at 90K miles I needed a timing chain replaced, yes, the chain stretched and was 6 degrees out. I spent the $2700 for the fix and then wouldnt you know at 96K miles the truck had a catastrophic failure. The woodruff key on the main crank shaft sheared off. Ford would not honor the lifetime warranty they iisued in 2012. They stated it was a limited time warranty of 5 years 90,000 miles. You would think Ford would want toi investigate why the main crank shaft failed, oh no! They just walked away and I was stuck and facing two options. Either put a $9,000 refurb motor in the truck or sell it bak to the dealership and buy a truck off their lot. I elected not to puy $9K into a 6 year old vehicle and a refurb. Motor that only had a 12 month warranty. I sold it back to the Ford dealership and bought a used 2016 Toyota SR5 with 22,000 miles. Try as they might I refused to buy another Ford off their lot. I drove that used Toyota for two weeks and decided that the double cab was not big enough and traded it in for a new ‘18 Totota Tundra CM Platinum. I am unbelievably happy with my decision and will never buy another Ford. There were many issues with the F150 and at every turn it was nickle and diming me to death.
    Ford has all the bells and whistles but at some point you need to decide whats more important, return on purchase and reliability or bells and whistles with mediocre reliability? Yes, I am bitter but I have a introspect that alot of people don’t have. I just wanted to convey my story to you for what its worth.

9. Mar 14, 2018 at 5:44 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ #WAISTBAND

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Summit White
    Husky products, 28% tint on windows.
    Very true, we can only go off our own experiences. I have only owned one Ford in my life, so I can't speak from any of my own experiences.

I personally wouldn't buy any 1/2 ton other than the Tundra from whats on the market today. Then again, I have no need for a 1/2 ton either, and it sucks Toyota won't step up into the big boy market. I think they would do very well.

Watt maker and NewImprovedRon like this.
  10. Mar 15, 2018 at 6:37 AM
    Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd Toyotaholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC MGM SR5 4x4
    I hear you. A 3/4 or 1 ton Tundra would be sweet. A 1/2 is all I really need. But my dad’s 16 GMC 2500HD with the 6.0 gas motor is a great truck. I was tempted to get one before getting the Tundra. But reminded myself the only towing I do is a 3000 pound trailer loaded with dirt bikes.

11. Mar 15, 2018 at 7:26 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ #WAISTBAND

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Summit White
    You chose wisely...

Upgrayedd likes this.
  12. Mar 15, 2018 at 8:03 AM
    Law323

Law323 Workout gloves? You mean sissy mittens??

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae Upcoming: LED backup lights/cargo lights OEM Backup camera Method Standard 18x9 wheels Iron Cross Patriot step bars TRD sway bar Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    I'll say this.....every single truck will have problems at some point down the line.

My family is a huge ford family, as well as my wife's family. Only me and my brother in law don't have a F150. (we both have tundras)
    I just had to fix my AIP issue, and am still not hearing the end of it. What my families fail to realize is my father in law is always working on his Ford, my cousin just had to buy a new F150 after a year of driving his other one on account of the engine blowing up, another cousin has had to bring his ford in the shop numerous times over the past few years. The only one that has had good luck with his ford is my uncle. 2012 and no major problems at all.

With Tundras, you're statistically less likely to spend as much time in the shop as you are with a Ford. That's simple fact.

But yes, Ford's tech is great and Tundras is lacking severely as well as their powertrain. But hey, I'm not a big tech person.....give me a knife, paracord, and a canteen, wait a few weeks then come find me when you start missing me.

13. Mar 15, 2018 at 8:11 AM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Rock Warrior 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Reliability and resale value are to very valid reasons

14. Mar 17, 2018 at 5:08 AM
    Wrongside

Wrongside Shiney side up at all times!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CM QS TRD Pro
    Toyo AT2 275/70, SDHQ Sliders, Linex all over da dang place...
    My neighbor had to put a new motor in his 2017 EB. It puked on him pulling their camper thru British Columbia. He's a huge Ford guy- one of the top FORD salesman in the area- was/is a huge EB fan. He was driving a loaner for weeks and won't talk about the 'incident'. Haha.

15. Mar 17, 2018 at 5:17 AM
    Adam

Adam New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    2014 Radiant Red Tundra
    So this was about him?
    upload_2018-3-17_7-17-46.jpg

16. Mar 17, 2018 at 6:14 AM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae Upcoming: LED backup lights/cargo lights OEM Backup camera Method Standard 18x9 wheels Iron Cross Patriot step bars TRD sway bar Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

"based on a true story"

another good title would be "Confessions of a Fordaholic"

17. Mar 17, 2018 at 8:17 AM
    Watt maker

Watt maker Keepin' the lights on!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronald
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Tundra DC Cement
    1 of 255
    Nice to know Ford never really fixed that problem. Two problems really. One issue that can affect the ecoburst motor anytime anywhere is the condensation issue. Condensing water from the atmosphere and condensing vapors from the crankcase start building up in the intercooler like a big slimy mess. A lot of it can build up unless you constantly floor the truck. For folks that don’t floor the truck often, it’s like a ticking bomb. Then you finally floor and the truck, the boost pushes all that slimy condensation right into the motor where it basically hydro-locks the motor often breaking or bending the rods and sending them right out the sides of the block. Mine did this but it didn’t blow the motor, just developed a knock from it, at 45k miles.

The other issue is with the mile long timing chain. They are very prone to stretching. The under engineered tensioner can’t take up all the slack so usually you get a cam timing code but some will bunch up the chain and cause it to blow a hole in timing cover. Dirty oil, especially diluted with gas (another common eb issue) is the primary cause of chain stretch.

18. Mar 18, 2018 at 8:08 PM
    equin

equin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Sky DC SR5 5.7L 4x4 TSS Package
    TRD Rear Anti-sway bar, TRD Pro skid plate, Bedrug bed mat, MB 352s, 275/70/18 BFG AT/KO2s and a Graco toddler child seat!
    True. My father-in-law has a '97 F150 with over 400K miles on it. Never had any problems with it, and he still drives it daily. His previous truck was an '86 F150 inline 6 that had well over 500K miles on it when he sold it. My sister-in-law has a mid '90s Ford Ranger with lots of miles, too. They're very loyal Ford fans, but I'll admit my past Ford-owning experience wasn't as good as theirs with two old Broncos I used to own.

jtwags, Watt maker and ColoradoTJ like this.
  19. Mar 18, 2018 at 8:36 PM
    equin

equin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Sky DC SR5 5.7L 4x4 TSS Package
    TRD Rear Anti-sway bar, TRD Pro skid plate, Bedrug bed mat, MB 352s, 275/70/18 BFG AT/KO2s and a Graco toddler child seat!
    I liked my two older full size Broncos (an '86 and a '93) but hated their extremely poor reliability. I went through 3 transmissions and 2 transfer cases between the both of them. I did the R&R myself in my driveway, cursing the Ford engineers for not taking into account ease of access for myriad hard to get to nuts and bolts. Even spark plug changes were way more difficult than any other vehicle I had worked on. Also had numerous starting problems and always at the worst, most inopportune times. A/C constantly broke down, making my 10 hour drives from Texas to Florida to visit family a fun drive in the infamous summertime heat and humidity of the South.

Despite those reliability problems, those Broncos sure have a great turning radius and wheelbase for off-roading. And I have fond memories cramming the kids and dog in mine and going on trips with them, always with some trepidation on whether it would make it without breaking down. I'd probably still have my '93 Bronco, even with all its reliability problems, as a secondary beater if my brother-in-law hadn't totaled it. Despite how difficult it was to drill through its thick frame, I was surprised that the frame bent as much as it did up front when he wrecked it. Ended up having to sell both for parts, ending my sojourn with Ford.

jtwags likes this.
  20. Mar 18, 2018 at 8:47 PM
    Coolhardy

Coolhardy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harris
    Vehicle:
    2014 black tundra
    Too many to list
    Have you considered Raptor?
    It hold it’s value too. I don’t care what everyone else say about Raptor in this forum but it indeed is a one of the best truck out there.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  21. Mar 18, 2018 at 9:42 PM
    Coolhardy

Coolhardy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harris
    Vehicle:
    2014 black tundra
    Too many to list
    Ford F series truck sold in 2017 = 896,000 units

Toyota sold Tundra/Tacoma in 2017 = 315,000 units (Tundra accounts for 116,000)

So if you compare the above numbers, ford sold 3 x more units. I understand that a lot of members in this forum are converts from Ford/GMC/Dodge.

If anyone remembers taking probability and Statistics in college, Ford is prone to more issues. Human beings tend to complain more then actually write a few words of appreciation here and there. Ofcourse, you will hear more whining then praising. I m not a brand loyalist by any means. I have had American, German and Japanese cars, never had issues w anything except my brand new Acura TL where the transmission failed at 1,600 miles. I ended up suing Acura and got the money back and then some.

In the new tech based economy, the idea of owning and keeping things is slowly going away and being replaced by “Subscription service”. Everyone is taking that route including the automakers.

I m not justifying Ford but there is a reason it has been the truck of the year even longer than Toyota Camry has been the car of the year.

We can’t say that the clowns in these magazines don’t know what they are doing when giving Ford the truck of the year award. Apparently, the same clowns awarding Toyota Camry the car of the year.

pvdubber, Law323 and ColoradoTJ like this.
  22. Mar 18, 2018 at 10:54 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ #WAISTBAND

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Summit White

pvdubber and Coolhardy like this.
  23. Mar 19, 2018 at 6:41 AM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    what it all boils down to is get what you want/need and deal with the consequences.

24. Mar 19, 2018 at 9:05 AM
    kenomouth64

kenomouth64 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tetrus
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Tundra Sr5 4x4 (TRD Off Road) Crewmax 5.7L
    Hold the Line! If you are not holding the line, abandon your ship. Destruction is inevitable without more to hold the line!
    2007-2013 If I were comparing these years, I would say Tundra All day. However for 2014+ I honestly would have gotten an F150, if I had to choose between them.
    However, I would not have purchased a light-duty truck anyway. It would have been 1-ton single axle. Not sure, if I would have went with a GMC 3500 or a F350...

25. Mar 25, 2018 at 5:00 PM
    Tjboatboy

Tjboatboy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 white tundra TRD
    2"level lift. TRD true dual exhaust. LED back up lights 6 LED'S per light. (2)
    I was a solid GMC truck guy. My 99 GMC extended cab 4x4. purchased in 2003 Totally loved her. Lost the brakes in 2010. repaired the lines but in the process of fixing the lines I reached under the truck grabbed the frame to pull myself out and pulled a 12" section of frame. I ran her for almost 2 years held together with paint sticks and undercoating. After the brake bleed screws were gone had to banjo bleed the brakes. My wife asked me if I had seen the 2012 Tundra. I had not. Went for a look. Purchased a 2012 Tundra Double Cab. The ride so solid Power UNREAL totally great look. Really fun to drive. WILL NEVER GO GMC OR CHEVY AGAIN

Law323, Bprose and NewImprovedRon like this.
  26. Mar 25, 2018 at 5:15 PM
    Tjboatboy

Tjboatboy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 white tundra TRD
    2"level lift. TRD true dual exhaust. LED back up lights 6 LED'S per light. (2)
    Although my wife drives a 2005 GMC Yukon. 43000.miles Totally mint. I like it but it is not a Tundra

Coolhardy and NewImprovedRon like this.
  27. May 1, 2018 at 1:03 PM
    nodak67

nodak67 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum BBP CM 4x4 5.7L
    technically aluminum cant catch fire, its usually all the other stuff that burns if I remember correctly. it can melt and transfer heat very well to make other things catch fire.

aluminum melts at 1200F compared to steel at 2500F. you can burn aluminum but you need a temp around 6.9k F (4100kelvin)

Watt maker and Grey Wolf like this.
  28. May 1, 2018 at 2:25 PM
    kenomouth64

kenomouth64 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tetrus
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Tundra Sr5 4x4 (TRD Off Road) Crewmax 5.7L
    Hold the Line! If you are not holding the line, abandon your ship. Destruction is inevitable without more to hold the line!
    Hmm...
    I wonder where all of the melted Aluminum went as I do not see it in the picture.

29. May 1, 2018 at 3:50 PM
    Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf ELITE Grey Wolf Crew

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2007 Slate Metallic 5.7L Tundra DC SR5 4X4
    18"X9" FN BFD's rims, 295/70R/18E Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's, and S/T Maxx's, upgraded to Old Man EMU coil-overs/shocks. Toytec shackles. Custom dual true dual exhaust. Body Armor Rock Steps, Smittybilt X20 winch, DV8 winch bumper
    I should have stated "Ford truck on Fire" ........although a lot of aluminum is gone. Ashes???

30. May 1, 2018 at 4:25 PM
    BTBAKER

BTBAKER HAS ANYONE SEEN MY BASEBALL?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TRD limited
    I am brand loyal. I’ve had 2 Fords. One was a car and the other a Ranger and both were total piles of shit. The Ranger had a shimmy in the drive train and after 2 sets of wheels, 2 drive shafts and new tires that hunk of shit still wobbled. I threw the keys to the service manager at Phil Long and told him to keep it. I fought with Ford and they eventually cleared the loan.
    I’ve also had two GM vehicles and while one was fairly solid (2wd Sonoma) they both needed expensive repairs with very little miles on them.
    Then, 20 years ago I bought my first Toyota and since then the issues I have had were minor. One blower fan motor for HVAC made noise in a 2010 Tacoma.
    Buy whatever the hell floats your boat. I don’t care if they sell more units. They still have catastrophic failures that I very rarely if ever hear out of the Tundras.
    I’ll stick with Yotas until they prove me wrong.

fj40dave, Watt maker and Grey Wolf like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top