1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who's using a throttle controller? Worth it?

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Tundra Pilot, Apr 14, 2021.

1. May 2, 2021 at 2:00 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way

You would have disliked owning a pre 14 after a week because the throttle sensitivity on my 07 was just like Sport Mode level 4, maybe 5. I certainly didn't beat the crap out of my 07. I learned to adjust my foot pressure over time but the sensitivity never goes away. It is what is. Of course you will find Sport mode quite sensitive after driving a 14+ mapped only with slug mode. I noticed the lack of throttle response right away during my 14 test drive. I expected that there would be a difference because of what members reported here on the forum but I didn't realize how much tamed down it was. As mentioned after driving my 07 for 5 years I find that Sport mode is closest in sensitivity that I had gotten used to. If you were to drive my 07 you would have the same issues you are currently experiencing now. A touchy throttle that you had to get use to. A touchy throttle that would hit high rpms pretty damn quick when passing for example until you learned to adjust your foot accordingly. Now, with a throttle controller you have several options. I had none of those issues that you are experiencing with Sport mode because I'm already used to that from driving my 07 with similar sensitivity for 5 years. A week isn't very long.

Side Bar> A throttle controller is most certainly not a added failure point. That makes no sense. Is adding a tune/ tuner another possible failure point? A supercharger w/tune? There is zero evidence of that when using a throttle controller or link to anything suggesting that other than conjecture. I'll agree to disagree on that. A throttle controller is simply a tune of throttle response curves that you set yourself. The throttle controller brands mentioned here are made here and programmed/coded here just like several of the tunes/tuners that members are using and also setup to their liking. An owner of a pre 14 now has the ability to de-sensitize throttle response to their liking. How could that be an added failure point? A previous owner of a pre 14 that now has a 14+ and truly knows how lame throttle response is compared to pre 14's now has options.

Ok....back. Have you tried Auto IQ mode at all? Auto IQ learns your driving habits and will adjust accordingly. I wouldn't give up yet. If you drove my 07 only for a week you would have probably been disappointed too because it took a bit to get used to the sensitivity. It didn't take me overnight. It seems that many users of throttle controllers find a sweet spot setting to their liking and just leave it. Although I plan on using ECO/4X4 and Cruise when needed, I expect to be using Auto IQ mode most of the time when out and about daily driving around town.

Case in point>

We have a member here with a 14+. Her husband has a pre 14. She mentioned that she recently drove her husband's tunny and noticed how responsive the throttle was and thought something was wrong with her 14+. If I had never driven a pre 14 I would have thought the same thing. The throttle mapping is that much different. Those of us here that have owned a pre 14 and now own a 14+ can attest to the difference. That's why many of us that had a pre 14 like the throttle controller option on our 14+. I sure do! It's not for everyone and can be easily removed and returned like you mentioned. :thumbsup:

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    Saltyhero13 and Danny3737 like this.
  2. May 2, 2021 at 3:52 AM
    Danny3737

Danny3737 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Limited Platinum
    Well written. It took me a few days to get used to the throttle in my 2012.

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. May 2, 2021 at 3:57 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Thanks! I couldn't sleep well tonight. Nothing new so had time to kill with that post. Ha! I liked my 07's throttle response. Was quite surprised when I test drove it. Was fun as hell. My 14 test drive wasn't as fun. It is now! heh...heh

4. May 2, 2021 at 4:00 AM
    Danny3737

Danny3737 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I know my dogs were happy once I got used to it :)

5. May 2, 2021 at 6:25 AM
    sportrider

sportrider New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax Limited
    @Black Wolf I hear what you are saying and have not given up yet. I guess that is the main difference in that if you had a pre 14 you had certain expectations with the newer models. Had I owned an earlier model, I would have gotten used to it and just accepted this is how these trucks are. I guess since my only experience is my current 2017, I know what it is stock and what potential exists now.
    Two questions:
    Did the pre 14's have tow haul mode? Because I'm just wondering if so, how much more difference there was with throttle or was it transmission adjustments only like I have experienced in other makes.
    And wouldn't you agree that pushing tow haul is very similar to sport mode on the hikeit other than no long tranny shifts? Thats where I currently sit with the thought of returning and saving 170 bucks.

As I stated i have more experimenting to do and am sure I will find the perfect setting. Just cant see using sport mode or hikeit mode much unless a trailer is on back, and that is to be determined as well.

Black Wolf likes this.
  6. May 2, 2021 at 7:27 AM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    I get that using “failure point” is too much for some. Engine not running right?, take to shop where they probably will tell you remove throttle controller before tech will diagnose, why?. Supercharger is definitely an added fail point, any guess why Toyota discontinued it? Tuning is not adding anything that can fail, only using what Toyota provided, but even that can go wrong obviously. Nothing against throttle controllers, not for me, but nice cheap way to get more enjoyment for most users.

7. May 2, 2021 at 8:49 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    "Failure point" not too much at all but a tad over dramatic along with "engine not running right" tossed in. I get what you are saying though and certainly food for thought. :thumbsup:TC's have a OEM mode that reverts throttle curve well......back to OEM instantly with a push of a button. True...SC's certainly can fail and do occasionly and was a costly program for Yota since they weren't selling them right and left. Was a natural progression for Magnusson and other SC makers to continue the with their own and compete with each other to fill that niche. Anything can fail. Everything I own can fail. I'm just not seeing any reports of throttle controllers drop dead failing or causing rampant engine issues with any of them. Yes, I'm enjoying being able to set throttle curve to my preference. Writing code can be quite expensive depending what you are writing code for. Writing code for a highly intensive engine/SC tune is extensive. You have to break OEM code it seems like on every year Tunny dependent on the ECU. Yota provided nothing in that regard. Throttle curve coding is no doubt a tad easier because there isn't the ECU issues and therefore lower cost and the extremely small footprint contributes too. Cheap is relative.

8. May 2, 2021 at 8:58 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    My 07 had tow/haul mode. Same sensitivity as my 14 and it is what is. I like options. The 07 was a bit sensitive and my 14 is the opposite. Simply finding my comfort zone. I'm not seeing any abnormal extended transmission shifts but then again I got used to having near Sport mode pedal sensitivity all the time with my 07 and yes mid Sport mode is like tow/haul response curve. Cray cray beyond that. I plan on using Sport mode only when on steep grades with a heavy load in the bed or my trailer loaded up. Try out Auto IQ.

9. May 2, 2021 at 9:52 AM
    Danny3737

Danny3737 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    My 2012 has the tow/haulass mode. The biggest difference is much quicker shifting. Very similar experience from when I put corvette servos in my Denali. I’ve gotten so used to the touchy gas pedal in my Tundra that when I drive my company car ( 2019 Explorer V6 ) it feels like a turd when pulling away from a stop. I could definitely see the throttle controller having an advantage in driving in the snow/ice and rock crawling. I can also see it giving a small increase in gas mileage if you keep your foot out of it. I doubt that I will one, but you never know. I’m not big in to modding anymore. So far, I’ve only replaced my factory NAV HU with a Sony w/Apple CarPlay, tonneau cover ( couldn’t stand the clam shell type it came with, and a sway bar. The sway bar makes a huge difference, especially if you like hitting highway ramps at high speeds. My next mod will most likely be adding a remote starter.
    The coolest thing about vehicle forums is seeing what everybody is doing and the enthusiasm that goes along with it. Everybody has their right to spend “their” money anyway they choose to, from curb feelers to super chargers. The only bad part when replying to a post is that it can easily be taken out of context, much like when someone takes a text or email the wrong way and that’s why this is really the only social media I belong to. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Black Wolf likes this.
  10. May 2, 2021 at 9:59 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    I enjoy the discussions here a lot. We all have our own likes and dislikes and varied experiences. It's all good!

Danny3737[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. May 2, 2021 at 1:44 PM
    alb1k

alb1k Always Coming From Take Me Down

Member:
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    05 2WD DC w/ attitude
    It's good
    I put this in the 05 4R for the boy. He has a driving test soon. Stock, the G4 with a V8 is pretty ready to jump. I ran it eco 1 vs perf 9, to see the extremes. For that SUV, eco 1 is smooth as shit but gets up quick with pedal if you want. Everyone has different needs/desires, but in my case exactly what I wanted.

AF1516DC-87D8-43EC-9A2D-A912F83BFD33.jpg

Black Wolf likes this.
  12. May 2, 2021 at 1:52 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Shweet! Nice location. Glad it worked out for your needs. There are 36 settings to play with, 9 for each driving mode. Try Auto IQ. That mode is constantly earning my pedal sensor positions as I drive around. I don't drive like a maniac which helps. The fly by wire from the pedal has two sensors that Auto IQ learns from. I'm really liking IQ mode. It adapts! Try it. Tell your son I said good luck with his driving test. He'll pass! Then his fun begins.....and yours. Heh....heh ....:thumbsup:

13. May 2, 2021 at 2:06 PM
    alb1k

alb1k Always Coming From Take Me Down

Member:
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    05 2WD DC w/ attitude
    It's good
    Thank you @Black Wolf! I haven’t even played with IQ, or read the manual, lol. Can’t wait to see some real results.

14. May 2, 2021 at 2:47 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Auto IQ has no individual settings like the other driving modes. Just put it in AU-A mode and drive around normally. This mode makes the cost of HikeIt worth it. I've got some snappyness within reason when needed and smooth tranny shifts. Nothing cray cray! Try it for a week and report back what you think. The more info we get the better it helps.

alb1k[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. May 3, 2021 at 8:07 AM
    point08

point08 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L SR5 4WD DC
    AirLift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Plus, AirLift Wireless One 2nd Gen, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Bakflip G2 Tonneau Cover, Running Boards, Tint, Power Tailgate Lock, Hike-It X9 Throttle Controller, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller with Custom In-Dash Housing, Method 701 Wheels, Toyo Open Country III Tires, 3WLiner Window Mod, External Fuse Box, Dash Cam, Pioneer DMH-1500NEX
    Put in the x9 yesterday… wow what a difference.

Got some looks from my wife after trying summer different modes. She was not amused, especially with the drinks rolling around in the cup holders.

Ended up in eco 1 and got 18 mpg on the highway. Nice and smooth driving. I call that "Momma Mode".

I'll save Sport mode for me and the boys ;)

Saltyhero13 likes this.
  16. May 3, 2021 at 8:16 AM
    Saltyhero13

Saltyhero13 Throbbing Member

Member:
    Fuel delete mod Cup holder upgrade
    Why did they discontinue them?

17. Jun 29, 2021 at 1:42 PM
    xdmelarton

xdmelarton New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TRD Pro CM
    So after reading this thread a while back and thinking about it, I pulled the trigger on the Hike It X9 a few weeks ago. The code posted back in this thread still worked so I got it all in for like 179.00. I installed it last Monday and been using it a little over a week. I settled on Sport 0 and it is just right. I mounted it through the steering collar on the left side and it is very clean looking. It came with the optional black face with out adding it. It is really small but easy to operate. It has made the 17 TRD Pro way more fun to drive than I already thought it was. The factory pedal lag on these trucks is unreal. Now Im not one running around dogging on my truck but man does it wake the duals up. Thanks to @Squatting Pigeon and @Black Wolf for pointing out some options outside of PC.

Black Wolf, Dsptundra and RobertD like this.
  18. Jun 29, 2021 at 1:49 PM
    Dsptundra

Dsptundra Still a new member...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Austin TX Area
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver Limited CM
    Husky X-act, front windows tint, Xpel PPF, center console organizer and tray, TRD rear sway bar, touch screen cover, transmission cooler, wireless charger, keyless tailgate lock.
    I have found another reason the X9 is handy. I’ve starting using use the Eco setting at various levels when hooking up my travel trailer. With the throttle response dampened it makes the final line up of the ball to the tongue a bit easier. Especially when I am by myself and have to get out to check my distance.

Black Wolf and xdmelarton like this.
  19. Jun 29, 2021 at 1:52 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Try AutoIQ mode too. I set it there and left it alone. It's pretty much perfect. It learns......!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    xdmelarton[QUOTED] and Dsptundra like this.
  20. Jun 29, 2021 at 1:58 PM
    Dsptundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Austin TX Area
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver Limited CM
    Husky X-act, front windows tint, Xpel PPF, center console organizer and tray, TRD rear sway bar, touch screen cover, transmission cooler, wireless charger, keyless tailgate lock.
    I found the auto to be a bit too jumpy when I try to use it. Maybe it will calm down a bit if I use it more?

21. Jun 29, 2021 at 2:07 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    It was a bit sensitive at first. The algorithm is logarithmic and starts with a baseline initially and will constantly update the input signal from your foot pedal positions on the go. Constantly "learning". I've been in AutoIQ now for almost 2 months. I use cruise mode occasionally. Haven't used Eco mode yet but it certainly has its advantages too depending on the situation.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    xdmelarton likes this.
  22. Jan 18, 2022 at 8:55 AM
    W3agle

W3agle New Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Tundra SR5 TRD Off-Road
    Wow I've been doing all my research and finally got ready to pull the trigger on the Hikeit, but it won't ship to California! What a PITA. So I guess I need to find one for sale locally then...

Nevermind! I was able to order direct from the manufacturer.... Shhhh don't tell anyone in charge of CA... Ended up going with the XS! Will report back ASAP. https://www.hikeit.com.au/product/hikeit-xs/

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    xdmelarton and RobertD like this.
  23. Jan 18, 2022 at 9:46 AM
    Squatting Pigeon

Squatting Pigeon Squattingpigeon.com Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    RobertD likes this.
  24. Jan 18, 2022 at 11:31 AM
    Dsptundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Austin TX Area
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver Limited CM
    The new model from Hike It looks very cool. I can’t spring for it now but maybe in the future. Love my x9!

Products Discussed in

To Top