1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which engine does the Pro have?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen TRD Pro (2014-2021)' started by Ireland, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Feb 8, 2018 at 6:30 AM
    smooosh

smooosh This place costs me too much $

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Offroad Limited Crewmax.
    Ongoing project
    Add the picture of the front suspension. It will let us know if it’s stock or if it’s been changed at all. Especially the top so we can see if there are spacers.

2. Feb 8, 2018 at 6:31 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Sounds to me like you possibly have a spacer lift. Let’s get a shot of the wheel well. If it’s got a spacer lift it could cause it to ride rough and stiff. If it does have it and you can’t afford to put proper suspension lift on why don’t you try returning it back to stock height. It would be cheaper in the long run to just figure this out rather than trade it in for another truck.

3. Feb 8, 2018 at 6:34 AM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    I don't think you should have to spend a dime. The dealer flat out lied to you saying it's a Pro. They should do a full refund or replace everything to make it right, plus kick back some cash or something.

TheBeast likes this.
  4. Feb 8, 2018 at 6:34 AM
    Rngr188

Rngr188 Ranked the best new member of all time

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Harrison AR
    Vehicle:
    2020 1794 MGM TRD OR
    I wouldn't start throwing money at it until you check the basics. Check the air pressure your self or go to a tire store and have them do it, the correct pressures are labeled on the drivers door. Give a picture of your front shocks to let us know if you have a spacer lift or all factory. Start simple. I will say they took some extra steps to make it appear like a pro with the color matched front bumper ends and grill, but they left the mirrors black which are color matched on the pro. Regardless start simple and also just take a picture of the front shocks so people here know what you're working with.

5. Feb 8, 2018 at 6:36 AM
    Rngr188

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Harrison AR
    Vehicle:
    2020 1794 MGM TRD OR
    I wouldn't go that far unless they sold it to him at PRO price which they didn't.

6. Feb 8, 2018 at 6:38 AM
    BTBAKER

BTBAKER DIFFERENT NAME. SAME JUNK.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    Since we are talking about tire pressure I have to ask what you guys find ideal? I never run at the PSI on the door. Even with the stock Michelin’s I was running 37 all the way around and now that I have Ridge Grapplers I am running 40 and have considered pushing it up to 45.
    So, what do you recommend the OP run at?

7. Feb 8, 2018 at 6:49 AM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Start at what the door says or at least close, then do the chalk test to dial it in.

Tierhog likes this.
  8. Feb 8, 2018 at 7:01 AM
    Tierhog

Tierhog SIG-AHOLIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax Limited 4WD
    Mostly stock/TRD accessories/Morimoto XBs
    Limited with TRD, not Pro. I've only had my truck for a month or so, however intermittent vibration suggests road condition, cold tires, and possible overinflation. While I have the bilsteins and NO rear swaybar, California highways are hardly in the condition to establish a baseline for my trucks smoothness on the road. My wife's is350 is noticeably different cold. Road feedback, traction, even suspension behave a bit more "intolerant"
    Vibration is the issue here. Intermittent vibration can only be traced back to a specific speed or portion of road. Since you mentioned it's ok on the back roads I'll presume 45 mph or lower. Vibration at 80/85/90 suggests your nearing max speed for a given tire or your pressure is off, maybe even a rim that's slightly out of true or a tire that needs balncing. Our trucks wheels, tires, and suspension are not optimized for high speed. I'd even venture the pro might be worse than the limited or Platinum given it's off-road upgrades, weight, etc.
    In any case, from a production perspective, I can rationalize why Toyota might be scratching it's head. Your issue is minor and you simply have to record all your findings, get a free tire rotation at American tire, adjust your tire pressure via chalk test,and try different routes and speeds.
    Keep us posted.

9. Feb 8, 2018 at 7:08 AM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    sounds like you have a spacer lift in front. Everybody else on this thread has covered it. But you definitely don't have a Pro. If someone told you you were buying one, they done lied to you. Most likely you have basic shocks and those are HORRIBLE with spacers. Ask me how I know :anonymous:

Check over the basics before throwing money at it.

If all else fails, I'd get some bilstiein shocks. Best bang for your buck and will drive significantly better than a spacer lift.

KB Voodoo and Marty McFly like this.
  10. Feb 8, 2018 at 7:09 AM
    Tierhog

Tierhog SIG-AHOLIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    To try and answer the second question, I'd hack off 5 psi from the door and chalk it. 40+ psi is really high.
    My last Goodyear MTR Kevlar 35s on the Jeep chalked at 26 from 35 with a noticeable improvement in the ride and were wearing slowly and evenly. Had it to 80 on that pressure. 80 in a jeep wrangled unlimited Rubicon lifted is borderline idiotic.

If it can noticeable improve in those crude conditions, the Tundra should provide a clear change.

11. Feb 8, 2018 at 7:34 AM
    RickC

RickC NOT a new member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 CrewMax Platinum 4x4 5.7
    SCS Wheels, Line-X, WeatherTech, UnderCover Flex bed cover
    Shocks aren't going to cause what you are experiencing. Shocks stop a vehicle from bouncing when hitting bumps. You have a tire/wheel issue more than likely and the easiest thing to do first is to rotate the fronts with the rears and see if the vibrations change. My bet is it's a bad tire or a bent wheel since you bought it used and have no idea how it was treated. If you move the wheels around from front to back, the dynamics of the vibration should change especially in the steering wheel. Give that a try before spending any money. If it doesn't change the behavior, then you may have a suspension issue more than likely in the front end such as a bad bushing, but with only 16k miles, unless it's been wrecked, I don't see how that could be the issue.

Marty McFly and Tierhog like this.
  12. Feb 8, 2018 at 7:37 AM
    BTBAKER

BTBAKER DIFFERENT NAME. SAME JUNK.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    Good explanation. I’ll try the chalk test. Thank you.

Tierhog[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Feb 8, 2018 at 10:15 AM
    Marty McFly

Marty McFly Nobody calls me chicken!! Except when off roading

Member:
    First Name:
    Morty McBoonJug
    McBoonJug = McDonald’s and Moonshine in a Jug
    Vehicle:
    2016 StormTrooper Tundra CrewMax TRD PRO
    Rick makes a good point. Maybe check the CarFax. After my accident in my old Tacoma it never drove the same again. It shook hard after 80mph. I couldn't go back to the future after that! :rofl:Sorry I couldn't resist. In all seriousness, just a thought and hopefully you can figure out a fix. For what it's worth your truck looks pretty badass :thumbsup:

Sunnier and Law323 like this.
  14. Feb 8, 2018 at 10:40 AM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    did you do your homework before buying that truck ?

15. Feb 8, 2018 at 3:00 PM
    Ireland

Ireland [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kieran
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tundra pro
    Here is a picture

IMG_2344.jpg

Sunnier likes this.
  16. Feb 8, 2018 at 3:01 PM
    Ireland

Ireland [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kieran
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tundra pro
    Back one

IMG_2345.jpg

Sunnier likes this.
  17. Feb 8, 2018 at 3:06 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    yep you got spacer in the front..no wonder the ride is shitty.

18. Feb 8, 2018 at 3:07 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I suggest taking that spacer out and seeing how it rides afterwards.

19. Feb 8, 2018 at 3:16 PM
    Ireland

Ireland [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kieran
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tundra pro
    And I just went tru the paper work and it's an SR5, think I did get scammed a little as they advertised a pro, which isn't the concern, if it runs sweet I will be totally happy, my last Tundra on the road was unreal it also was an SR5 but didn't look like this and it lasted me 10 years. Can a regular mechanic take these out or go to an off road place, I really appreciate the help as I can't sleep at night thinking about this

ColoradoTJ and Marty McFly like this.
  20. Feb 8, 2018 at 3:16 PM
    Rica25

Rica25 Got Bam? IG ......@TNDRA08

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricardo
    Tulare
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White Tundra/14 Cement FJ
    TRD sway bar...addictive audio sub woofer.....Volant intake.....Black Rhino Glamis wheels....Billstein adjustable shocks
    Those are TRD shocks not Pro schocks also

21. Feb 8, 2018 at 3:20 PM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    I see a lot of for sale ads for tundras that say pro, but are sr5's with the trd off road package.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  22. Feb 8, 2018 at 3:21 PM
    Rica25

Rica25 Got Bam? IG ......@TNDRA08

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricardo
    Tulare
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White Tundra/14 Cement FJ
    TRD sway bar...addictive audio sub woofer.....Volant intake.....Black Rhino Glamis wheels....Billstein adjustable shocks
    All pros have it stamped on the back side of the bed

15whtrd likes this.
  23. Feb 8, 2018 at 3:25 PM
    Ireland

Ireland [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kieran
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tundra pro
    Here is an email she sent me when I was inquiring about it you tell me

IMG_2346.jpg

24. Feb 8, 2018 at 3:36 PM
    209TRDPRO

209TRDPRO New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD PRO
    Just lights for now
    The salesmen told him it was a PRO that is why he got a good price. :p

TheBeast likes this.
  25. Feb 8, 2018 at 3:40 PM
    Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd Toyotaholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC MGM SR5 4x4
    Sucks you got taken like that. I guarantee the reason it rides like crap is those spacers on the front end.

Did you not get any Carfax info on this truck? A simple VIN check will tell you what the truck is.

26. Feb 8, 2018 at 3:44 PM
    Ireland

Ireland [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kieran
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tundra pro
    I have a car fax and it is a SR5. During the whole buying thing I never noticed anything it was all a blur as I was so excited, but I will take out the spacers and see, so does taking the spacers out lower the truck

Sunnier and 15whtrd like this.
  27. Feb 8, 2018 at 3:54 PM
    Dilsky

Dilsky Toyota Brand *****

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2014 Platinum Tundra Crewmax Black
    King Front Coil-overs Coachbuilder shims Toytec Rear shackles - Stock Rear Baja Designs Sport Fog Lights Rough Country 30" Lightbar 18" Method Roost Wheels (Bronze) 285/70/R18 Nitto Exo Grapplers Diamondback HD Cover
    Yea taking out the spacers will return it to the stock height. I would complain to the dealership, maybe they gave you the wrong truck? Make them put in the pro suspension! Where abouts do you live?

Sunnier and 15whtrd like this.
  28. Feb 8, 2018 at 4:40 PM
    Triton19X2

Triton19X2 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver 1794 Crewmax 4X4
    What size tires are on it? Hope they won't rub when the spacers come out

Sunnier likes this.
  29. Feb 8, 2018 at 4:59 PM
    Tierhog

Tierhog SIG-AHOLIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    First off.. deep breath. Nothing is wrong with your Tundra. You just have a crappy spacer on top of your spring and it’s making the ride rough. I’ll bet nothing else was done so expect other mild abnormalities. Any suspension shop can pull that out easily. They kept the stock suspension so that’s a plus. Yank the lift out including any leaf blocks we can’t see and drive it. If the symptoms disappear you’ve corrected the issue. If it’s much better but not as smooth as you’d like, switch to a mild AT tire like it came stock with. Nothing to loose sleep over and totally fixable. Keep us informed!

PS
    Good point on tire increase. You might want to check oem vs your present height and offset if rims are no longer stock.

15whtrd and BuckWallace like this.
  30. Feb 8, 2018 at 5:10 PM
    Rngr188

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Harrison AR
    Vehicle:
    2020 1794 MGM TRD OR
    Don't forget a new alignment when the spacers come off.

Sunnier, landphil and 15whtrd like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top