1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's your washer and dryer (electric) and brand

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by TXRailRoadBandit73, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Sep 2, 2018 at 10:13 PM
    kb1982

kb1982 New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DC
    I currently have a lot of GE appliances, including washer and dryer, and have been good so far, though most are only a couple years old. That being said, I would have preferred LG, but comparable LG models generally cost more. Consumer reports often rate LGs the best (a handful of LGs are usually in the top 5).

Also, as other eluded to, pay for quality and capacity, not gimmicks. We bought a dishwasher with bottle washers (little holders that you put the bottle over and it has its own ‘sprayer’ that gets directly inside the bottle (or coffee mug). It seems to work well, but we hardly ever use it. Could have got a similar washer without the bottle washers, but with a higher capacity and a little quieter for the same price. But also don’t pay too much for quieter models, you often pay a premium for slightly quieter (almost indiscerably quieter) models.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  2. Sep 2, 2018 at 10:16 PM
    BuckWallace

BuckWallace Ball don't lie.

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    ColoradoTJ likes this.
  3. Sep 2, 2018 at 10:48 PM
    Sas

Sas Humor is everywhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    '17 SR5 CM TSS 4WD MGM 5.7 FF
    Lost track after #1.
    I've got a no-frills Whirlpool matching washer and dryer. Both are HE and I gotta say I'm not a fan of the HE washers. I run every load on Bulky Items/Sheets just to make sure there is enough water in the tub to actually knock the dirt out of the clothes. A former friend of mine had a REALLY nice, expensive HE washer and it wasn't any better. If the old non-HE washers are still available when I'm ready to buy a new one I'll jump on it. The HE dryer is really nice and efficient however.

Definitely buy the largest capacity washer/dryer you can put in your laundry room.

Bprose likes this.
  4. Sep 2, 2018 at 11:30 PM
    Rica25

Rica25 Got Bam? IG ......@TNDRA08

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricardo
    Tulare
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White Tundra/14 Cement FJ
    TRD sway bar...addictive audio sub woofer.....Volant intake.....Black Rhino Glamis wheels....Billstein adjustable shocks
    I had a whirlpool washer for 18 yrs and had to be replaced 2 weeks ago so I went with another whirlpool and also still have my dryer from 18 yrs ago and works great waiting for that to take a dump to purchase a new one

5. Sep 3, 2018 at 4:40 AM
    bigblue14

bigblue14 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Vehicle:
    2022 1794 Advanced Package
    TRD lift and AFE airbag arms, 285/65 Cooper AT3s
    Had an LG HE top loader at my old house - had a quite a bit of trouble with it. It frequently got uneven loads. We also had a control board go bad after 1-2 years. Luckily it was under warranty. We have Maytag units now and they have been solid for the 2+years we've been in the house.

Agree on the front loader points - those will get disgusting. However I cleaned my washer this year and it was still pretty funky after 4 years of use. They all need to be cleaned by my estimate. By cleaning I mean I removed the basket and scrubbed everything.

6. Sep 3, 2018 at 4:53 AM
    Max Power

Max Power Groovy Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 TRD Off Road
    TRD Dual Exhaust TRD Rear Sway Bar
    I have a top loading Whirlpool Cabrio Platinum as my washer, it is pretty good. I've got no complaints. The dryer is an electric Whirlpool, purchased with the washer. Same story.

7. Sep 3, 2018 at 4:54 AM
    mt95

mt95 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Crewmax-White
    10-4 on the Speed Queen brand. I just replaced my Speed Queen electric dryer on Saturday that quit heating. Yes, I could have replaced the heating element for probably 100 bucks or so and done it myself, but this dryer was 39 years old and still ran! I also got over 30 years from the washer, and it ran through two kids before the transmission conked out. I was shocked at the $820 price on the dryer, considering the original was maybe $240. But do the math, and it ran very economically through the years! Yes, Speed Queen does have it's upper end models with the fancy electronic display, but all you really need is the old twist knobs to do the job. The basic model is exactly the same inside as the upscale overpriced ones. And yes you will be pleasantly surprised at the lack of plastic junk on the Speed Queens. Built to last and MADE IN AMERICA!!! Ripon, Wisconsin where they have been produced since the beginning of the brand. Satisfied long time customer here!!

AxelsHumanDad, FoghornTX, Sas and 3 others like this.
  8. Sep 3, 2018 at 5:14 AM
    Tacogrande

Tacogrande New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 dbl. cab long bed gray
    Husky weatherbeaters,short antenna,window deflectors
    Ok... if mine ever have a major failure , speed queen it is . I love machines that are simple, heavy duty, built to last, made in USA , no bs.

Just replaced two burner controls on our whirlpool stove for around $60. Back in business.

Grumpy Uncle and ColoradoTJ like this.
  9. Sep 3, 2018 at 5:31 AM
    1999cutiger

1999cutiger Top Flow Lifestyle

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra SR5 4x4
    RBP 67R AK-8 20x9 wheels General Grabber ATX 275/60/20
    We have a set of LG front loading. They are expensive but they have been perfect for 4 years now.

10. Sep 3, 2018 at 5:33 AM
    Macks

Macks New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    If you want it to last...speed queen, but not available at big box stores

FoghornTX and UNTMatt like this.
  11. Sep 3, 2018 at 5:34 AM
    airgunner

airgunner New Member

Member:
    N-KY
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC MGM TRD
    This man speaks the truth!

Maytag use to be the one you want. Bought a set in '94 and it lasted 20 years but they were bought out some years ago by GE (IIRC?) and their quality went to shit. When it was time to replace them I shopped around and the only brand that still "makes them like the use to" is Speed Queen. 4 years now on my SQ's and they are going strong.

SQ's are truly the Toyota's of the washer and dryer market. They ain't the most advanced with all the technology and pretty electronics and color choices but they are built to last still using metal components where other's have switched to plastic.

12. Sep 3, 2018 at 5:51 AM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

TXRailRoadBandit73 [OP] YOTAS,RAILROADIN',RÖKnRÖLLN',BEER,MAX/GEMMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    Thanks for all input fellas! Much appreciated, we looking to do a top load washer, we have a LG front load wife hates it as do I and the dryer is an older model, also the washer was sold to her by co-worker was a out of the box new one had 4+ yes, but now Mrs wants top load washer

13. Sep 3, 2018 at 5:56 AM
    Basskrazee

Basskrazee Pop

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Indianapolis, IN.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR5 /TRD
    AFE mass air intake TRD rear anti sway bar Headwaters seat covers TRD Pro grill Bilstien 6112 coil overs Bilstien 5160 rear shocks Consol vault
    Op do yourself a big favor go out and find a good used Maytag set at least 30 years old. You’ll be glad you did

14. Sep 3, 2018 at 5:57 AM
    1UPPER

1UPPER Not A New Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Flux capacitor!
    We have Samsung Electric front load washer and dryers. We’ve had them for five years now. Had to replace the heater coil in the dryer last month. Easy and cheap fix since I replaced the part myself. They have been great other than that one part.

Grumpy Uncle likes this.
  15. Sep 3, 2018 at 6:07 AM
    trayday

trayday New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 limited CM 5.7
    7" BDS, ADS front and rear, Total Chaos UCA's, CB tie rods
    I have an energy efficient top load Samsung washer and front load dryer. The washer determines how much water to use by weight and if used as intentionally, our clothes won't come out clean. We have to put our clothes in a 5 gallon bucket and soak them in water before putting in the washer. The dryer works fine. If you get a front load washer, keep the door open when not in use to keep the mildew smell away.

16. Sep 3, 2018 at 6:09 AM
    Festerw

Festerw New Member

Member:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tundra DC
    Washers are worth spending the money on a Speed Queen, they just plain work.

Dryers on the other hand IMO are not. It's a big ass electric heater there's really not a hell of a lot to them and a higher end model won't save any energy or dry any better. About the only difference is if you get one with steam, I don't wear anything that gets super wrinkled so that would be worthless for me.

17. Sep 3, 2018 at 6:37 AM
    UNTMatt

UNTMatt New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Attitude Black 4x4 Limited
    TRD Pro grille, TRD Pro black badging, TRD Pro shift knob, LED under dash lights, GBS, Llumar ceramic tint, BackFlip HD.
    Speed Queen.

No point in re-hashing what's already been said about them. Speed Queen is American made and is the only units I know of that have a full metal transmission in their washers (no plastic).

--Matt

FoghornTX likes this.
  18. Sep 3, 2018 at 6:58 AM
    Tufftruck

Tufftruck New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Bronze 1794
    We've been through them all. Our local appliance store manager is my next door neighbor and say they never get repair calls on the Speed Queens. We live in a very rural area with many small dairy farmers. Most use Speed Queens as milk house washer and dryers for milking uniforms and towels. We love ours too. Like a Tundra, no frills and built to last. They can be a little loud, but anything of commercial quality can be. Speed Queen has been in laundromats, college dorms, and military bases for years.

UNTMatt and FoghornTX like this.
  19. Sep 3, 2018 at 8:30 AM
    gm125800

gm125800 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali
    The Whirlpool line has always done well for me.
    On a side note, i deal with appliance claims daily. I notice that Samsung and LG tend to discontinue making parts for their appliances a few years after that model was made. If a circuit board fails on an appliance which is 5+ years old, we tend to start looking at replacing it or getting the board rebuilt. I miss the days of relays and timers which could always be replaced with generic parts.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  20. Sep 3, 2018 at 8:32 AM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    Just looked at Speed Queen, we need a lil more bigger than what they offer for washer

21. Sep 3, 2018 at 8:58 AM
    Tierhog

Tierhog SIG-AHOLIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax Limited 4WD
    Mostly stock/TRD accessories/Morimoto XBs
    Samsung top loads.. Best buy extended warranty, steel braided connections. No issues. Year 2

22. Sep 3, 2018 at 10:26 AM
    Festerw

Festerw New Member

Member:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tundra DC
  23. Sep 3, 2018 at 10:38 AM
    baylrballa

baylrballa New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Crewmax Limited
    Samsung top lead HE washer, samsung dryer. been flawless past 4 or so years.

24. Sep 3, 2018 at 10:56 AM
    Krezz

Krezz Doesn't want to be new member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Crewmax Hybrid TRD Pro
    Whirlpool Cabrio pair, the largest top load they have HE. Used to also sell washers and dryers and such, which I always had best luck with Whirlpool brand.
    Samsung makes really nice looking sets also which do work well, but around here didn't have good customer service.

25. Sep 3, 2018 at 11:10 AM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
  26. Sep 3, 2018 at 11:20 AM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    So far we looking at

Maytag
    Whirpool
    GE
    LG
    Samsung

That order

27. Sep 3, 2018 at 11:26 AM
    ardnutoz

ardnutoz

Member:
    First Name:
    OZ
    SE-PA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black TRD OR CM Limited
    Buy the biggest of both that will fit, account for any doors, turns, cabinets etc.
    I had bought a set of whirlpools from Lowes and had to return them for LG. The delivery guy clued me in to which brands fit smaller areas. My problem is that our house was built in 1950 and nothing is square and nothing is plumb and nothing fits anything currently built. Same went for our fridge. had to remove all the doors to get it to make a turn into the kitchen despite the fact that i have a bigger kitchen access is via smaller old door ways.

Delivery guy said LG and Samsung have the largest capacities with the smallest dimensions.

Watt maker likes this.
  28. Sep 3, 2018 at 11:35 AM
    Hammerdog

Hammerdog YCMTSUP

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    Louisa VA
    Vehicle:
    2018 tundra sport crew max
    Tint Bed cover Red Tow Hooks TRD Intake 7 inch BDS 22x12’s 35 Toyo’s Rigid ditch lights RC light bar in bottom grille One bad ass stereo
    I had a set of LG Tromms that lasted for 13 years, the dryer went out about 3 weeks ago. No issues until then, I have a set of Samsung’s in dark charcoal that will be delivered this week.

29. Sep 3, 2018 at 1:15 PM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    We've had MGM Samsung HE FL's for 3y, happy with them, no good as I realize you want TL's. I've replaced the heater in the dryer. Used to have Whirlpool Duets for 10y+ which I repaired about 4x before giving them up.

IMG_8796.jpg

I still have that Father's Day sheet on it, look what my kid wrote lol:

IMG_8798.jpg

If you're buying from HomeDepot, don't forget their price match guarantee, 10% off. And another $100 off if you open a new card.
    https://www.homedepot.com/c/PM_New_Lower_Price
    https://www.homedepot.com/c/Credit_Center

aperezsh and landphil like this.
  30. Sep 3, 2018 at 1:22 PM
    Hammerdog

Hammerdog YCMTSUP

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    Louisa VA
    Vehicle:
    2018 tundra sport crew max
    Tint Bed cover Red Tow Hooks TRD Intake 7 inch BDS 22x12’s 35 Toyo’s Rigid ditch lights RC light bar in bottom grille One bad ass stereo
    Got mine from Home Depot also.... great Labor Day sale, salesman also gave me more off that price.

Products Discussed in

To Top