1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What to know when buying a dog?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by joem1cha3l, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Mar 29, 2018 at 12:58 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    That’s true. Good points. Average wolf lives 5 years in the wild, mostly due to fighting or starvation.

Agreed, this diet should be an adult dog, which is 3 years later.

zcarpenter92 likes this.
  2. Mar 29, 2018 at 1:21 PM
    zcarpenter92

zcarpenter92 Yotas and Yellow Jackets

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    NE Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2008 Desert Sand 5.7L DC
    In sig
    Thank you for saying what needed to be said Chris! That’s the one of the reasons we buy puppies at 8 weeks old, aside from the breeding aspect. Had a rescue dog right out of college, a 1 year old male that we think was a lab/GSD cross. He was a total asshole and nothing I did to try and discipline him worked. He broke boards off my fence to get out, chewed up my furniture, and never would chill out. And even worse, he chomped on my mom’s Yorkie and blinded him in one eye. As bad as it may sound, I was almost relieved when he broke out of the pen and disappeared. All of that bullshit is why I’ll never get another rescue dog.

3. Mar 29, 2018 at 1:25 PM
    Atomic City Tundra

Atomic City Tundra Cam Tower Leak Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra 5.7FFV CM 4X4
    Best of luck with your new adventure. We have always done rescue dogs and have had fantastic luck. My wife and I's first rescue was a Husky/Lab mix. We got him when he was 3. The place that had him had given him the name "Snowy River". We thought that was a bit too foo-foo, so we changed it to "Rio". Great freakin' dog. Already trained, well-mannered, great with the kids - he was awesome. The only issue that I had with him was his recall wasn't very good.

riolounging.jpg

We had to put him down when he was 14. Tore me up and like the OP, I swore I would never get another dog. However, about 8 months later I spent a week on vacation with some friends that had a dog. After that week, I came back and decided to go get another one. So, we went to the shelter to look at a Husky, but it had been adopted already. That is when our next dog caught my attention and started "talking" to me. He is a Viszla/Boxer mix. Super great dog once again. We named him Ragnar. He was already trained and is great with the kids. The only problem with him as that he is doesn't really like to be alone - EVER. He didn't tear anything up or stuff like that - he would just sit and whine whenever we were gone.

rags.jpg

After another year or so, we started thinking that we would like to get a puppy and go through the training process ourselves. A little later than that, we saw that the shelter had just brought in a litter of pups that were taken from a hoarder's place. We were lucky enough to get one of them. They had DNA testing done on him and he has Rottweiler/Lab/Akita running around in that body. We have been through a training course with him and he is doing very well so far. His name is Odin. Him and Ragnar are pretty good buddies.

odin.jpg

Anyway, life is better with dogs. No denying it. Best of luck again!

4. Mar 29, 2018 at 1:26 PM
    blizz86

blizz86 New Member

Member:

5. Mar 29, 2018 at 1:28 PM
    birdman076

birdman076 Bird, bird, bird...bird is the word

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2015 Brown Tundra Crew Max Limited
    Airbox with K&N Filter, 2" lift on 33's, Alpine iLX-F309 head unit, Pull out bed tool boxes, brown with black trim, rims, etc, black leather interior, matching topper. Muffler delete (too loud..) 62k miles!!!
    Rotties (at least here in Florida) were plagued by inbreeding, poor bloodline and other issues in the 90s and are just now back to a state of relative safety with regards to the breed as long as you have some common sense when looking at the breeder, lineage, etc. Still a ton of "bad" bloodlines out there but not nearly as prevalent as the 90s and early 2000s. I just spent $1500 on my male import and he has been by far the most difficult Rottweiler i've ever had from a standpoint of "puppy" health issues. I chalk it up to not having issues with any dog purchased or saved in my life, it was bound to happen sooner or later. Great breeder, known her for 20+ years but used the cheap deworming medicine that the worms have built up a tolerance too. Dealt with a pretty bad case of worms about a month after we got him. Cost me $270 in vent bills for 2 dogs to be dewormed, examined, etc. As they say, "Shit happens" even when you spend a lot of money for something.

Now thats over and done with he's a "normal" dog, i'd say above average intelligence. He follows me around and watches like he understands everything I'm doing. Acts like a cat a lot of the time, (rubs on your legs, runs in between your legs, walks along directly in front of you like he knows where you are going). Picks up on training super fast, but also has that Rottweiler stubborness to boot.

6. Mar 29, 2018 at 2:13 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    Agree. I have children, they got to go pick their puppy, visit, even spend time with the mom and dad. While I say they are my dogs, they belong to my children, and must behave accordingly. Not gambling with that, and if it’s stupid I wear it well.

7. Mar 29, 2018 at 5:08 PM
    DreadZeppelin

DreadZeppelin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Vehicle:
    2018 Quicksand Tundra 5.7L TRD Off-Road
    Spray in bed liner, Tonneau cover
    Do your research then do even more research. So many variables go into finding the right dog for you and your family. I have had several dogs in my lifetime some purebred and some mutts and quite honestly you never know what health issues can come up either way. Don't rule out rescuing a dog from a shelter which can actually be even more rewarding in the end in many occasions. In my opinion all breeds can be great pets (yes even and sometimes especially pitbulls!) and will be great pets if you remain calm, assertive and consistent with them. I currently have an English Bull Terrier that is everything I could dream of in a dog but she does have many allergies and has had some health issues. Pet insurance was truly a life saver. Best of luck, but remember research, research and even more research!

Terra pup.jpg

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  8. Mar 29, 2018 at 5:48 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I’ve dealt with rescues my whole life due not being able to afford a real nice animal, or had time when a kid for a puppy. We always had trouble dogs and usually gave them away or ran away (I’m really hoping that’s what happened instead of feeding it lead). One of my worst dogs ever was a Golden Retriever. We got him as an adult, absolutely no training, was a sweet dog, but would jump over our 6’ fence, dig to China, and his last day with us was a Sunday morning. My mother fixed a nice Easter breakfast before going to Church and it was on the table. That dog jumped up on the table and ate a good portion of our breakfast. My mom went to the formal dining room and started yelling. I knew that wasn’t good. My dad got the kid spanker and spanked that dog. It ran outside, jumped the fence and never returned. I was devastated and really didn’t understand (6 yrs old).
    So to make a long story short, my best experience (and biggest heartbreak) was my 9 week old Rottweiler. I worked with that dog and it was an awesome experience. He was so well behaved and obedient. My pound rescues were blessings as well, but were also the bane of my existence.

9. Mar 29, 2018 at 5:55 PM
    TdotYdot

TdotYdot New Member

Member:
    Danville,Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '17 MGM SR5 Crewmax
    We went with a Golden Doodle...maybe the best dog I've ever had.
    9149808C-B7F3-4187-A435-4FF5AED833F2.jpg

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  10. Mar 29, 2018 at 6:23 PM
    birdman076

birdman076 Bird, bird, bird...bird is the word

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2015 Brown Tundra Crew Max Limited
    Airbox with K&N Filter, 2" lift on 33's, Alpine iLX-F309 head unit, Pull out bed tool boxes, brown with black trim, rims, etc, black leather interior, matching topper. Muffler delete (too loud..) 62k miles!!!
    One other point to consider...let the dog pick you. What I mean is the picking goes both ways. Play it cool and see which ones in the litter hang around you and your family. Of course all will run to you as soon as you are seen, that's not what im referring to. Its the ones that loiter or keep coming back, they are the ones that have picked you. Some people go with the 1st born, some with last, some with the runt. I've always let the dog pick me and have never been disappointed. This last go around we let my 13 year old son do the picking. I explained what I have done and to his credit he did the same thing. We had our pick of 2 out of the 6. One was very rambunctious the other very calm. We went with calm...however that all changed once he was home lol. I wouldn't say rambunctious more very curious and always like the gears are turning.

One last piece of advice. When I got my first Rottweiler many years ago she was from a very reputable breeder who trained police dogs as well as show dogs. He offered 2 months of training which sadly the distance didn't allow. It was the real deal. Her lineage was back to 1934 when he distant relatives were first brought over from Germany. Lots of paperwork, OFA certs for everything, first right of refusal if I sold her, first pick of litter and the list goes on and on. I got her for a steal because he fell on hard times when the airlines shut down large dogs riding in cargo after a pitbull ate part of the plane lol. His main clients were Canada and abroad and his prices were $2500 and up at that point. I got her for $700 because he couldn't move them fast enough and his main clients cut out of the picture with no ability to ship. His one tip i've used time and time again and has always made life easier.

Dogs, regardless of breed are pack animals and they respect the pack hierarchy. What he told me to do was get on the floor with the new pup at their level and nip them on the ear. Literally bite them on the ear. Not hard enough to draw blood mind you, enough to get a yelp. Did this with both females and all I have to do is look at them and they know. The new male pup we got i've had to do it twice, hes a little more stubborn and wanted to test after the first go around. There are many examples of "The alpha factor". Some say to hold the dogs head on the ground, I think that's rather cruel and demeaning. If they learn with a simple nip thats over and done with in seconds then i'm all for it. It hasn't failed me yet.

Trooper2 likes this.
  11. Mar 29, 2018 at 7:16 PM
    Copper Man

Copper Man New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited DC 4X4

Wish I could like this again.

When I'm going to commit to 15 years I want a good dog. I've had untrainable dogs in the past and they are miserable. Pay the cost, if you can, for exactly what you want and enjoy the next decade.

12. Mar 30, 2018 at 2:47 AM
    joem1cha3l

joem1cha3l [OP] New Member

Member:
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    2016 Double Cab SR5 Blazing Blue Pearl
    BOSS Suspension, DB Customz Grill, 35's, Spyder, Tint, Color matched corners
    The only time my dog was in the Tundra was the day I had to bring him to the vet to be put down.

There’s dog hair everywhere. I plan to bring the new pup everywhere with me so dog hair in the truck will just be a new reality. Question is, do you guys think I need to get the interior detailed to get the old dog out so the puppy doesn’t piss in it?

I’ll lose my mind if My truck gets pissed in lol

blizz86 and ColoradoTJ like this.
  13. Mar 30, 2018 at 4:12 AM
    Copper Man

Copper Man New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited DC 4X4
    Puppies having accidents is part of training. I don't think just the smell of another dog will make the new pup wanna pee. Usually they pee when they smell pee, which is useful when training.

I followed the guides at leerburg.com with pretty good results but the methods aren't for everyone.

blizz86 and ColoradoTJ like this.
  14. Mar 30, 2018 at 5:15 AM
    BIGUGLY

BIGUGLY I the SheepDog. I have the capacity for Violence.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    Get a mat for the back seats. Muddy and Duluth trading have them. They will help contain accidents.

Copper Man and zcarpenter92 like this.
  15. Mar 30, 2018 at 7:50 AM
    NickyF25

NickyF25 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SE Pa
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum 4x4 Silver Sky-Sold
    We got the pick of the litter when we got our male golden. Wound up picking the biggest one after being able to spend some time with them all and see their personalities.. It is so tough because you could pick any of them and not go wrong. Sometimes when he's acting like an idiot I think to myself what our second choice would have been like. I can think of a number of occasions where my money was not well spent, but my dogs is not one of them.

16. Mar 31, 2018 at 2:25 PM
    joem1cha3l

Member:
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    Here he is. Did a bunch of research, talked to probably 10 AKC Breeders within 200 miles of us that had pups for sale and we finally found one that had all the right records, was happy to answer any questions and was all about us bringing our daughter to meet the pups

51E3689A-EB87-4AD2-AA4B-EB2431E2CED9.jpg
    B3E026A3-0FB9-4468-8E88-B1F99839BC7D.jpg

17. Mar 31, 2018 at 2:35 PM
    Over the LINE

Over the LINE New Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited CM 4 x 4
    Toytec -Duratrac -Expedition One-Fab Fours
    You don't want the pup running around your truck until he has a little training. Put his crate in the backseat until he is trained. You might really loose your mind if he chews up the seatbelts or headrest. Don't worry about the detail.

I build my own dog sling for the back seat. Pictures in my build thread.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/over-the-line-2016-cm-4-x-4-build.5884/

18. Apr 1, 2018 at 9:14 AM
    owb2gp

owb2gp New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    ID
    Here's a picture of our pound puppy. We've had him 7 years now and my son and him have the best bond I've ever seen. He has been a great addition to our family. We also have a pure bred blue nose pit that is also a wonderful dog. In the future we have decided that we'll be rescuing dogs when the time comes. Every dog deserves a chance.

[​IMG]

Stroke250 and Copper Man like this.
  19. Apr 5, 2018 at 3:35 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    17' Tundra SR5, 12' Tacoma TRD offroad
    Good looking pup, Congrats!

20. Apr 5, 2018 at 3:58 PM
    Ericscott44

Ericscott44 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Grey beast
    Lift. 35s. Dual exhaust.
    Here is our new guy. Roughly 10 weeks old. He is great with my kids .Meet Dexter .

20180402_190216-1.jpg
    20180310_164930.jpg

21. Apr 5, 2018 at 4:02 PM
    Ericscott44

Ericscott44 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Grey beast
    Lift. 35s. Dual exhaust.
    Dexter watching the Masters .

20180405_184624.jpg

ColoradoTJ and mdavis like this.
  22. Apr 5, 2018 at 4:45 PM
    Jamen800x

Jamen800x New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamen
    Ogdensburg, NY
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax TRD
    TRD PRO suspension with Coachbuilder TRD PRO lift kit. 2019 TRD PRO black led headlights with IHacker wiring harness. TRD duals. TRD PRO grille. ARE Z series matching topper. SCS Ray 10’s. General Tire X3’s 295/70r18 tires. Spray in bed liner.
    I have a English Setter that is great for hunting upland birds over. He is great with me. They are a hard breed to have if not able to get tons of exercise and will drive you a little crazy during the non hunting months when they just want to go get them birds. He is a handsome fellow though. 3537710F-1AE2-471C-90DA-D30CC0A0F2C5.jpg

ColoradoTJ and mdavis like this.
  23. Apr 5, 2018 at 5:10 PM
    joem1cha3l

Member:
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    Cute pup! Labrador Retriever?

24. Apr 5, 2018 at 5:51 PM
    Krezz

Krezz Doesn't want to be new member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Crewmax Hybrid TRD Pro
    We went with Husky liners for the kids but also the dogs. Accidents may occur, be it some puke, piss or worse, so always be prepared. Some dogs travel better than others. We've been lucky. Both our dogs travel very well.
    One pup is a German ShepardXCollie and our other is an Australian ShepardXHeeler -- the Collie is much more calm and the heeler loves to play/fight/chase but both are great with the kids. Just have to be prepared to play differently with them.

"The Kids"
    IMG_20170514_1613175.jpg

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  25. Apr 5, 2018 at 5:54 PM
    Ericscott44

Ericscott44 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Grey beast
    Lift. 35s. Dual exhaust.
    Yeah. Yellow lab .

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  26. Apr 5, 2018 at 6:32 PM
    Stroke250

Stroke250 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ford F-350
    Boxers here too! Their goofiness is worth all their craziness(in a good way)! Lol

Ericscott44 likes this.
  27. Apr 5, 2018 at 6:36 PM
    Reload172

Reload172 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra SR5 5.7L Barcelona Red
    I've always picked the calmest puppy in the litter. Dogs always come out of their shell after they get used you and to the new surroundings, so if they're already jacked before you get them be ready for a hell raiser. A calm pup that seems introverted will just turn out to be friendly, more obedient, and generally less cray-cray. Just my opinion.

Ericscott44 likes this.
  28. Apr 6, 2018 at 3:08 AM
    joem1cha3l

Member:
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    That’s exactly what we did. He was super chill and just didn’t seem to care much about what was going on around him.

Reload172[QUOTED] likes this.
  29. Apr 6, 2018 at 7:01 AM
    Over the LINE

Over the LINE New Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited CM 4 x 4
    Toytec -Duratrac -Expedition One-Fab Fours
    Because of how hard retrieves are where I duck hunt, and how often I hunt, I do the exact opposite. I want the pup with the most attitude and prey drive.

30. Apr 6, 2018 at 7:02 AM
    Atomic City Tundra

Atomic City Tundra Cam Tower Leak Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra 5.7FFV CM 4X4

Great looking dog. Congrats!

Products Discussed in

To Top