1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What to know when buying a dog?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by joem1cha3l, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Mar 28, 2018 at 4:30 PM
    joem1cha3l

joem1cha3l [OP] New Member

Member:
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    2016 Double Cab SR5 Blazing Blue Pearl
    BOSS Suspension, DB Customz Grill, 35's, Spyder, Tint, Color matched corners
    I had to put my dog down a few weeks ago. My best friend. I swore I'd never get another dog and my wife doesnt want one. I put my foot down yesterday and told her that we are getting a new one.

I have a 15 month old daughter, so im thinking a pure bred Golden Retriever puppy sounds like a solid decision.

My first dog was free, a mut and just not wired right lol. This time, I want to start with the best "specimen" I can. What should I ask? Im expecting to drop a couple thousand.

Black Wolf and Notachickmagnet like this.
  2. Mar 28, 2018 at 4:46 PM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    I don't know jack about picking out a dog but I think they're great for kids and vice versa. I usually go with muts 'cause they generally have fewer health issues.

3. Mar 28, 2018 at 4:47 PM
    Wolverine

Wolverine New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 CM Cement
    I am a small dog, non shedding, hypo allergenic guy myself. Goldie’s are great but she’d like crazy and can be hyper. If you or your family has any type of allergies, breed should play into that as well.

big_jarv likes this.
  4. Mar 28, 2018 at 4:52 PM
    ninjajay

ninjajay Posting from the toilet

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Spoolston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM 1794 TRD 4x4
    Toytec/Radflo Lift, Ambit RS02 18x9+0, Bridgestone Revo 3 295/70/18
    Personally I'd never spend thousands on a puppy unless it was a specific working dog.

blizz86 and big_jarv like this.
  5. Mar 28, 2018 at 4:52 PM
    zcarpenter92

zcarpenter92 Yotas and Yellow Jackets

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    NE Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2008 Desert Sand 5.7L DC
    In sig
    Find a reputable breeder if you want to go the purebred route. AKC has a list of em on their site. Also, look at the litter registration and pedigrees, see if the parents have had their hips OFA certified. If the parents going back a few generations have all been certified, the likelihood of the puppies having hip dysplasia are significantly less. My family has been raising purebred labs for over 20 years, and we’ve only ever bought one puppy from certified parents that ever developed it.

Also, make sure and go to the breeders house and see how they’re raising the dogs. You want well socialized puppy’s that have a well maintained pen, it’s not hard to tell if people take care of their dogs.

6. Mar 28, 2018 at 4:54 PM
    joem1cha3l

joem1cha3l [OP] New Member

Member:
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    2016 Double Cab SR5 Blazing Blue Pearl
    BOSS Suspension, DB Customz Grill, 35's, Spyder, Tint, Color matched corners
    To each their own. I'll be living with this dog for 15 years or so. Not something I want to take a chance on.

7. Mar 28, 2018 at 4:55 PM
    ninjajay

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Spoolston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM 1794 TRD 4x4
    It's always going to be a gamble, my preference would be a mutt just because, on average, they have fewer health issues.

Trooper2 likes this.
  8. Mar 28, 2018 at 4:56 PM
    zcarpenter92

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    NE Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2008 Desert Sand 5.7L DC
    In sig
    In most cases, you get what you pay for! My male wasn’t cheap, and neither were the females my dad and brother bought.

Black Wolf and ColoradoTJ like this.
  9. Mar 28, 2018 at 4:57 PM
    ninjajay

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Spoolston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM 1794 TRD 4x4
    Oh I definitely don't mean cheaping out on breeders. I mean I don't see value in spending that on a family dog.

10. Mar 28, 2018 at 5:13 PM
    zcarpenter92

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    NE Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2008 Desert Sand 5.7L DC
    In sig
    Fair enough man, not everyone needs or wants a purebred dog. We market ours more for family dogs, even though they do have some good hunting dogs in their lineage.

Black Wolf and ColoradoTJ like this.
  11. Mar 28, 2018 at 5:18 PM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    Goldens are great, if shedding indoors an issue hearing golden doodles are good..

We rescued a pure golden puppy about 12 weeks old, after having many different types, after about 8 years later he has been the best dog ever. We will be messed up the day he is not around any longer.
    If we ever get another, may aim for female, a little smaller 20-30 lbs lighter. ours is about 95 lbs.
    There are rescue sites online for just about every breed, something consider.

NCinCO, JC303 and zcarpenter92 like this.
  12. Mar 28, 2018 at 5:20 PM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    I've always picked the runt of the litter.....its worked out well for me so far.

Black Wolf likes this.
  13. Mar 28, 2018 at 5:23 PM
    louscrw

louscrw all jacked up on Mt. Dew

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Warner Robins, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2023 F150 Raptor
    The big thing for us was good communication with the breeder while we “shopping”. We then travelled 2hrs to visit her home several times to spend time with her dogs and get a good feeling about her breeding practices. We filled out a questionnaire and she had to “approve” us before we could even put a deposit down on a puppy. We had to wait nearly 4 months before it was even born bc the breeder didn’t feel like any of the puppies from earlier litters were a good match to us and our environment (already had another Great Dane in our home).

In the end, we got a perfect, healthy dog that fit us. Sure, it cost us a couple grand, but it was well worth it.

Black Wolf likes this.
  14. Mar 28, 2018 at 5:24 PM
    tomsinamerica

tomsinamerica New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    White 2016 Tundra DC ltd
    I have a purebred flat coat retriever, she's amazing. The gentlest dog you'd ever meet. My polar opposite, she loves everyone and everything regardless of who or what it is. She can dial back her energy level to what seems appropriate if she's around small kids for example.

But. Flat coats are rare in the US... Limited gene pool which amplifies genetic predispositions to illnesses, twice now, mine has had two different immune mediated deseases that nearly killed her.

So, study the family lines, speak to other customers and get pet insurance... Pure breeds can get very spendy illnesses..

IMG_20180327_090020_478.jpg

Patriot, JC303 and ColoradoTJ like this.
  15. Mar 28, 2018 at 5:30 PM
    louscrw

louscrw all jacked up on Mt. Dew

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Warner Robins, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2023 F150 Raptor
    Oh, here’s the Dane when ended up with (for reference, my wife is 5’7”)...and yes, my dog is a little chunky, lazy ass

B23D72CE-E74F-4440-A4CC-90815A07D1B7.jpg

16. Mar 28, 2018 at 5:31 PM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    I’m in a similar situation. Details later.
    I have done multiple searches and suggest that you do the same.
    1) least aggressive breed
    2) most aggressive breed
    3) most health problems
    4) least health problems
    5) easiest to train
    6) best with children
    7) guardians, trainability, etc
    Etc, I’m going to be living next door to our grandchildren aged 2 to 13. Decided on most likely the same breed as you, golden retriever.
    Everyone has already said the rest, check out the breeder, visit the kennel, research the genealogy.
    Please post back with what you choose to do.

17. Mar 28, 2018 at 5:37 PM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    Joe, sorry to hear about your dog. I had to put my golden down a while back. I think that the Golden Retriever is one of best family dog's you can have. We had ours for 14 yrs before his hip and spine gave. Very smart dogs and love the water. A pure breed will go between $600 to a grand. Depends on breeder. Good luck on your search .

18. Mar 28, 2018 at 6:33 PM
    FSUTundra

FSUTundra Misplaced Texan

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM 4x4 CM TRD
    Just got a golden in August and went through a lot of this. Obligatory pic:

024599AB-6281-4E7C-98A0-41C1AC55CE9B.jpg

With Golden’s always request health clearances for dame and sire. Should include eyes, heart, hips, and elbows. You can look the OFA records up too online. This is the most important thing. As well you can find pedigree info on AKC if you get their number or registered name.

Otherwise, ask the breeders everything your curious about with their dogs. They should be happy to answer and willing to help. They could ask you to sign a contract. Worth asking to see a copy up front. I signed one and I actually appreciated it cause it showed the breeder cared about the dogs and wants them to be happy and healthy and isn’t just in it for the money.

As mentioned, Golden’s are active dogs that shed a lot. Super loveable and great with everyone, but have to have regular brushing and exercise.

GRCA and AKC have a lot of great resources online as well.

jdg1982, Krezz, mtntop and 7 others like this.
  19. Mar 28, 2018 at 6:47 PM
    BIGUGLY

BIGUGLY I the SheepDog. I have the capacity for Violence.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    Look into a Spinone. Good kid friendly dogs. Like water and fields. Also fairly easy to train

20. Mar 28, 2018 at 7:08 PM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    Goldens are great dogs. I have had 3. One was a born natural hunter. No formal training. I just noticed that she was birdy. Never lost a bird with her. She would dive after wounded ducks. Great people dog. Next female I had was also very good with people. Never showed any aggression what so ever. Bought both off individuals as pups. First one I had was big male and while normally not aggressive he would bite if surprised or if you tried to take something from him. With a young child I would stick with a female. They tend to be more docile. Tried one female yellow lab and while it hunted it had rocks for brains and passed at fairly young age. It showed symptoms of being snake bit but I have never seem a poisenous snake in my yard. Will never have another lab. I have a GWP right now that I got from a friend that could no care for. I needed a companion dog for my daughters Catahoula. It is a very good dog but hyper. It has some Chaesapeak in her. With a young kid you might think about spending less on dog and investing difference in obedience training. The GWP I have has a ton of retrieving and obedience training and it shows.

V__5945.jpg

21. Mar 28, 2018 at 7:54 PM
    stlfan

stlfan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra SR5 4x4
    2018 OEM LED HEADLIGHTS, BAJA DESIGN FOGS, PRO GRILL & SURROUND, 3M CRYSTALLINE TINT40%, 8" SS BAM EXHAUST.
    ECD625E6-8453-4BD9-9708-8EEF8FCF10EF.jpg 4F4AB8C6-CEF2-45E7-8C08-E5190B1E7D45.jpg Partial to boxers, really good with children, and goofy as hell.

22. Mar 28, 2018 at 8:07 PM
    Darth Tundra

Darth Tundra I AM....YOUR FATHER

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Vehicle:
    17 CM TRD Black
    Revtek 2.5 level kit, 295/70/18 on stock rims..no rear mods
    AWESOME :thumbsup:

driverdog likes this.
  23. Mar 28, 2018 at 8:12 PM
    Darth Tundra

Darth Tundra I AM....YOUR FATHER

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Vehicle:
    17 CM TRD Black
    Revtek 2.5 level kit, 295/70/18 on stock rims..no rear mods
    I bought a female Rotty..from a good friend of mine....of course I knew what I was getting cause I knew the blood line....She was an absolute SWEET HEART of a dog....great with my kids as well as friends and strangers ....lost her to hip cancer.....a devastating thing to have to put her down....I WAS CRUSHED....Havent had another dog since then :(....Good luck !!

24. Mar 28, 2018 at 8:16 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    First off, sorry to hear about your family member. I always try to focus on all the great years you had together and the joy they bring to your life 98% of the time.

Muts are usually fun dogs that can live a long time. My experiences on both of my last two muts:

Oakley was 16 years old when we put him down. That is a long time for a 65 lb dog. We fed him the best food, and even made him food.
    He was a mixed shepherd/akita mix. We purchased him for 150.00.
    Health issues:

-Teeth had to be operated on 600.00
    -Hyperthyroidism, so bloodwork and pills his whole life. 200.00 for bloodwork every couple years and the pills were not that expensive, maybe 50.00 per year.
    -Both rear ACL surgeries 1400.00 x 2

Other than that, he was pretty good. So we had 5000.00 into this family member over 16 years...at least. This does not include food, shots or other care (or needs like shelter). I don't regret one second having him or spending the money.

Maynard is still with us. He is a mixed shepherd, 85-90 lbs. He has been interesting to say the least...but we love him the same for the past 13 years. We paid 180.00 for him.

Health issues:

-He only had stitches from Oakley when trying to take his food.
    -Had to get a dew claw removed that was almost torn off at our mountain property. I can't remember how much that cost, but it was cheap.

He has proven his worth in the security department with me at home once. It was comforting to see him pin someone against a wall on my property.

Where this dog cost me tons of money and most likely why he was a pound dog was his ability to destroy anything.

-Mastercraft suspension seats 2000.00
    -My wife's riding gear 800.00
    -fencing planks, and I shit you not, most likely 1500 of them. We ended up having to just muzzle him when gone. This made him more worthless than some tits on a boar, and really put him out there with the mountain lions and bears, but at the time had no choice. We now have a fence that can hold him, and with the even more possibility of mountain lions, bobcats, bears, and stray dogs (a real issue out here), we cannot put a muzzle on him.

Again, we love him just the same and would not change anything.

My last "pure breed" dog was a Rottweiler. Paid 500.00 for him. Long story short, he really didn't have good bloodlines and died from cancer in 6 years. I didn't do much research on the breed in the health department. Hind sight is always 20/20 and I wish that my motivation for having this breed was different (single, high crime rate area), but that was all I was focused on.

I now look at health, breed traits, and my family needs. Both my pound pups were at least 6 months old and one was very abused and skittish (Oakley). It was unfortunate that it took him at least ten years to open up to people, and my kids did that for him. They loved him so much that he finally gave in and became somewhat normal. His last years were his best years with my kids. They broke him down with kindness and I do believe he was the happiest he had been. I was always cognizant of his skittish behavior and I never leave kids alone with any "pets", regardless of breed. My Rott's where probably the best around kids. They were always very forgiving and they let nothing by them that wasn't supposed to be.

I think getting a good, certified, guaranteed pet is a sound investment. We like to preach on this site, pay once, cry once....look what I spent on Oakley. 5000.00 is a lot of money. Maynard has been a lot of money in other ways, and my Rottweiler was great, but died early.

For me, these are the breeds I am looking for due to my needs, and in specific order:

Dogo Argentino-
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogo_Argentino
    Cane Corso-
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cane_Corso
    Central Asian Shepherd-
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Asian_Shepherd_Dog

Kangal is a long shot, and could be done, but would be rather expensive. I would have to take up hunting again and knock down a few deer per year to feed this gentle giant.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangal_dog

I would love to get a Doberman Pincher, but I don't have the time to give this breed. I never knew how awesome these dogs are until reading up on them.

Everyone has a reason for specific breeds. I have no use for a small dog, and it would most likely be taken rather quickly at my current location by all the local wildlife and feral dogs (two German shepherds that are really causing livestock issues currently). I see postings all the time on NextDoor app about small dogs missing. I had to drop that app since I really do not want to hear about it. This would be devistating to my family and it would be my fault for putting an animal in that situation. Might as well just get wolves and pet goats and see how that works out.

Personally, a golden retriever is one of the best all around dogs to get. I would seriously find a breeder that guarantees the pets health. Hips, eyes, ear, joints, spine are all things that can really add up quick. Other health issues like cancer, hyperthyroidism, and other diseases can end a pets life early, which can bring another round of heartbreak to the family.

Good luck with your search.

Tundra9831 and Darth Tundra like this.
  25. Mar 28, 2018 at 8:18 PM
    Over the LINE

Over the LINE New Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited CM 4 x 4
    Toytec -Duratrac -Expedition One-Fab Fours
    Lots of talk about making sure you pick a good breeder, hips and eyes, etc. I agree. I'll add that you should thoroughly investigate any breed you are considering. Make sure you are ready to train to the level the breed requires to be a good pet, deal with shedding/grooming of that breed and provide whatever stimulation that breed requires to keep it happy and healthy. In other words, don't go get a German Short hair and expect a lapdog or a poodle and expect not to need grooming.

Patriot and ColoradoTJ like this.
  26. Mar 28, 2018 at 8:18 PM
    ScottsBad

ScottsBad New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Free Idaho, escaped Commiefornian
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Limited
    Just a Bed Rug, Soft Topper, Console Safe
    Spending $1000-$2000 on a dog is not a big deal when you factor in the cost of owning and keeping a dog healthy for 15 years. Between the shots, food, flea medicine, heart worm medicine, vet visits and dog accessories, I figure we spend about $900 per dog per year.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  27. Mar 28, 2018 at 8:19 PM
    porkitt

porkitt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Pro Cement
    DAP Tune ESP Storage RCI Skids Icon Rebound ABS Guards AVS Vent Visor FRAC Harness 50 Cal/Antenna X BFG KO2 HID Extra Light Bar White Knuckle Off Road Sliders BAK Industries Revolver X2 Oh Shit Handles Pop and Lock LED Internal and Reverse Lights LED Footwell lights Tuffy Storage Console organizers Viper Alarm and Remote Start
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  28. Mar 28, 2018 at 8:25 PM
    Copper Man

Copper Man New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited DC 4X4
    I'm an electrician and am in a lot of houses around different dogs. My favorite are English bulldogs and Australian doodles. They're always fun and friendly long as they're trained.

That being said, my dogs are all malinois mixes. My next dog will be full blood Belgian malinois from over seas and cost too much money lol.

Spend the money, if you're like me you're in it weather the dog is a good one or a dumb ass. It'll be a long 15 years if the dog is broken and untrainable:(

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  29. Mar 28, 2018 at 8:29 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    You hit the nail on the head and I didn't even cover that aspect.

One has to be very involved, family goal, early on to have a great pet, especially in the working class breeds. If you don't have family buy in on training (obviously your 15 month old isn't in this equation), this can lead to serious problems later on. My Rott was awesome with me. He was on voice command and no leash. Once my wife started dealing more with him due to her wanting to go jogging early in the AM, and never working with him...he never respected her and rarely listened to her as well. Not a good idea with a 120 lb, pure muscle dog that can drag you across a park with little effort.

blizz86 and Copper Man like this.
  30. Mar 28, 2018 at 8:48 PM
    tundraj

tundraj New Member

Member:
    Get your golden from here: http://www.pekaygoldens.com/

We had a Pekay and he was the best dog we've ever had. Beautiful dogs from a reputable breeder. National champions from this well-known and highly respected line.

newguy and ColoradoTJ like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top