1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What to know when buying a dog?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by joem1cha3l, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Mar 28, 2018 at 8:48 PM
    Copper Man

Copper Man New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    2017 Limited DC 4X4
    I've rescued a couple of dogs, they're hit and miss. The English bulldog was amazing but the chocolate lab was retarded I'm pretty sure. I took a am staff from a buddy and he was a good dog till he got old and cranky, then he got a little bitey. My best dog to date is a malinois- pit mix I found on Craigslist after I had to put my bulldog down. I exercise my dogs daily for at least 30 minutes and it makes all the difference in the world.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  2. Mar 28, 2018 at 8:51 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    17' Tundra SR5, 12' Tacoma TRD offroad
    First, sorry for your loss. I went through this with our family dog this past August. We have always been a two dog family which ends up being hard on the other animal as well. Waited a few months And ended up with another pup. Like others have said, reputable breeder, visit the breeder and check out living conditions and what not, spend time with the mother and father of the litter, bring your daughter so you can see how they react to her as well.

I ended up with a Brittany spaniel this time around. Were an active family and I wanted something a little smaller this time as it's easier for traveling And camping. I have always had labs but I keep losing them to cancer so I felt it was time to move on. Our Brittany has been awesome so far, very smart, good with my 4yr old and loads of fun.

Good luck with your dog search!

Here's my Brittany with my lab.20170814_085829.jpg

Copper Man and ColoradoTJ like this.
  3. Mar 28, 2018 at 8:54 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Now that's a caliber breeder I'm talking about. They talk the talk and walk the walk. Very impressed, and thanks for sharing. I actually have someone looking for a replacement GR.

tundraj[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Mar 28, 2018 at 9:19 PM
    Part_time

Part_time Not a new member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 MICA BRONZE SR5
    Most likely to bite I think is a lab. I wouldn't pay 2000.00 for something to crap in my living room. I had a beautiful black lab bought out of nickel ad for 100.00.
    Also had boxers high maintenance but lovable. Now I have boxer/ german Shepherd. 300.00 bucks from human society, I still think sometimes I did them a favor. Smart like a Shepherd high strung as a boxer. He will test your patience so rember untill trained could be a bit of a nightmare. Unless your going to breed is it worth the high end money?

Stroke250 and Copper Man like this.
  5. Mar 28, 2018 at 9:27 PM
    big_jarv

big_jarv New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro
    Sorry you had to put your pup down.
    As others have said it could be a gamble. We have to purebred malteses. One has relatively no problems, the other is a mess, but we still love her.

If you want to get a "new" dog find a reputable breeder. Also said by others find out their living conditions.

Also maybe consider rescuing a dog. There are tons of lovable great dogs that need a home. Annie was a rescue and is the greatest.
    Here she is at the shelter, and fresh out of the shelter.
    IMG_6039.PNG.jpg

And here she is now
    IMG_4243.jpg

6. Mar 28, 2018 at 9:28 PM
    ScottsBad

ScottsBad New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Free Idaho, escaped Commiefornian
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Limited
    Just a Bed Rug, Soft Topper, Console Safe
    I did a lot of research before I bought each of our dogs.

When the kids were young I bought a dog called a Havanese which is a very popular dog these days. The breed almost went extinct. They are Cuban dogs, but the breed was saved by an American. These are truly great small dogs for families. The are clowns and fun to play with. They do not shed and they are easy to train because they are very smart and aim to please. They have hair that feels like silk and they only grow to about 14 pounds. Here is a stock puppy pic followed by a picture of ours (The only pic I could easily find). Our Havanese is about 10 years old and still makes us laugh every day. We paid about $1800.
    hav1.jpg hav2.jpg

When our kids got a few years older I decided I wanted a second dog, so I bought a Golden-Doodle. Golden-Doodles are very popular and they are a a fantastic mix. They do not shed and the mix has a great personality. Since Goldens and Standard Poodles are very smart they are really smart, easy to train, and loving dogs. Ours came from a family breeder not a professional breeder so we only paid $900 for him, but I got first pick of the litter and I was able to meet the mother and father.

Our Doodle gets attention everywhere he goes and the weird thing is that people constantly want to take pictures or get selfies with him... Its the strangest thing. Our Doodle has hunter instincts, loves to run, chase balls, and swim. Our doodle has hair that is on the curly poodle side, but his personality is Golden.

Find a breeder that breeds dogs for families and NOT for show. The show dogs tend to be too inbred for certain traits. I'm wary of breeders, as I've had some less than great interactions with them. Here is a picture of our Doodle named Dozer at the park playing retrieve the ball.
    Dozer at park.jpg Dozer3.jpg

Trooper2 likes this.
  7. Mar 28, 2018 at 9:44 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Have you ever owned a 2000.00 dog? Doubt it, so how can you compare or even comment?

zcarpenter92 likes this.
  8. Mar 28, 2018 at 10:06 PM
    tundraj

tundraj New Member

Member:
    If he wants a Golden, why the sales pitches on every other breed? It's like him saying he's decided to get a Tundra and then everyone tries to talk him out of it by pointing out the virtues of every other manufacturer.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  9. Mar 28, 2018 at 11:09 PM
    big_jarv

big_jarv New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro
    Personally I was just sharing my rescue story and the potential problems with purebreds.

10. Mar 29, 2018 at 3:02 AM
    joem1cha3l

joem1cha3l [OP] New Member

Member:
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    2016 Double Cab SR5 Blazing Blue Pearl
    BOSS Suspension, DB Customz Grill, 35's, Spyder, Tint, Color matched corners
    Found a breeder last night that I was able to talk with for about an hour. Its the dames second and last litter. First litter was two years ago. She sent me pictures of the OFA health certifications of both the dame and stud. The dame is still in the home but the father is owned by someone else. She gave me that persons contact info in case I wanted to speak with them.

They're all about answering my questions and bringing my daughter to meet the pups, which is important to me.

Pups are available to take home on May 1st. I think im going to ask for references from their last litter to find out about the temperament of the dogs. Anything else?

Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 5.56.51 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 5.57.04 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 5.57.17 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 5.57.27 AM.jpg

11. Mar 29, 2018 at 3:08 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Looks like you have it covered. Good luck and enjoy your journey with your new Golden Retriever puppy.

You know the rules, Pics when you get the pup back home.

zcarpenter92 likes this.
  12. Mar 29, 2018 at 4:27 AM
    NickyF25

NickyF25 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SE Pa
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum 4x4 Silver Sky-Sold
    You can't go wrong with a Golden Retriever for a family dog that you can do a lot of things with. We currently have two, Gracie is 12.5 yrs old and Riley is just over 10 years old. My wife did a ton of research on breeders after our first golden passed at 9, and we have had very good fortune with both. They both have completely different personalities though. Riley is 3/4 English Cream and is very laid back. Gracie is loves to be outside, has always been very active, but her arthritis is slowing her down some now. I think we paid around $1500 for each from different breeders (one in Cali and one in NJ), without breeding rights. I hope you have many years of companionship and enjoyment with your new dog.

13. Mar 29, 2018 at 8:37 AM
    Over the LINE

Over the LINE New Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited CM 4 x 4
    Toytec -Duratrac -Expedition One-Fab Fours
  14. Mar 29, 2018 at 8:42 AM
    Over the LINE

Over the LINE New Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited CM 4 x 4
    Toytec -Duratrac -Expedition One-Fab Fours
    I'm in that book on page 37.
    I have Wildrose Sailor 14.5 (Angus x Meg), Wildrose Harken 7 (Rusty x Jay's Tess) and Wildrose Jax 4 (Widgeon x Roxi). If he was looking for a Lab I would have suggested the same thing.

porkitt[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Mar 29, 2018 at 8:43 AM
    mtTundra

mtTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bozeman MT
    Vehicle:
    2016 Platinum 4X4, 1997 Tacoma 4x4
    Longer list than the wife needs to know about....
    Goldens are great, I really miss mine.
    As others have said check with AKC for a reputable breeder, but that is probably less important as meeting the parents and seeing the home they come from. View the temperament of they parents are they sketchy? My Golden was a rescue and he had a few screws loose.
    The first couple years they will be very active but as long as you work with them they will be great dogs. The more time you spend working him/her the better the pup will be. If you just ignore the pup it'll be crazy looking for attention and doing anything to get you to acknowledge it.
    After you get the pup have it checked for health issues. Hip dyspepsia is common in the breed and there is a surgery you can do when they are a pup that will make their lives much better in the long run.

zcarpenter92 likes this.
  16. Mar 29, 2018 at 8:56 AM
    speckmon

speckmon Must. Have. Pow.

Member:
    Thornton, CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 mountain road bomber
    Great looking dog.

Go Noles!

FSUTundra[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Mar 29, 2018 at 8:59 AM
    Stulloh

Stulloh New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    18 Tundra TSS

Truthfully the best specimen might be a mutt.... If I were buying another ( I have a male cocker and a female olde english bulldog, crazy bitch takes 3 prozac a day..., ill never do either again) Id start by looking at what size I might want... if small, then what I want to avoid...shedding, hyperactivity etc... a dog that fits my lifestyle which is slow and doesnt need long walks...after that id make sure that if I lived in a place where lots of kids where present temperament was good. Last thing you want is a bitten child... My next dog will be a lab or a German Shepherd , I am like you, they are part of the family... good luck , post a pic of what you get.

zcarpenter92 likes this.
  18. Mar 29, 2018 at 9:24 AM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    I’m excited for you. So will you be able to go pick it out now? Usually that is how it works, there will be big and small puppies, you want a big one. They will provide you a clean bill of health from their vet upon receipt, but don’t be afraid to have your vet check it out as part of the deal, pretty common as well. I don’t care about money with my dogs, they are worth it.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    NickyF25, zcarpenter92 and ColoradoTJ like this.
  19. Mar 29, 2018 at 9:44 AM
    Jrmysell

Jrmysell New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC 4X4 TSS SR5
    I'm a 4th year vet student, will graduate with my DVM in August. If you go with a pure breed dog, on average they will have more medical and anatomical problems than a mixed breed. Can mixed breed dogs have terrible health problems? Absolutely. But pure breeds will have them more commonly. If you do go pure breed and get one from a breeder, make sure they know what they are talking about. Vaccinate your dog on an appropriate schedule, give it flea/tick and heartworm preventative monthly (even during the winter). And whatever you decide to do, don't feed them a raw diet. It'll make your dog have to constantly be fighting infections and can cause you and your family sick, especially if you have young kids. If you do want a pure breed and don't want to pay as much look at breed specific rescues.

20. Mar 29, 2018 at 9:48 AM
    gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Wyoming

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2014 trd silver tundra
    6" lift, bumper and winch.
    Don't buy a dog. Thousands put to death every year. I've had many shelter dogs. All great. Save a life

21. Mar 29, 2018 at 11:34 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Interesting. Everything I have read, the BARF diet is a better all around diet IF...and a big IF, one does the proper amount and what meats, veg, fruits with due diligence with cleanup, etc. My dogs have always dined outside. My only dog now will just wait with his bowl until it goes outside or in the garage. I personally have never done it, however I did do a cooked meat and rice diet for them for a while. Worked great.

I think we can all agree there’s definitely a difference in grade of “pure breads” that are AKC registered. Like earlier in this thread, my last Rottweiler was an “AKC Registered Pure breed” that was plaqued with bad health mostly due to bloodlines. This was disheartening since a few of my friends paid way more (1850.00) researched, and used certain breeders (out of state) and averaged double the lifespan and no real health issues other than old age.

Our local rescue group for large breed dogs charges 550.00 and up, and more for puppies up to 6 months old. The local pound charges 300.00+ and for puppies can be over 600.00. For not much more, I don’t have to inherit poor training and poorly behaved dogs. I can start fresh and raise a good dog, how I see fit.

I guess there are a lot of kids that need adoption, but the wife and I decided not to do that and just “make” our own litter.

Copper Man, Vizsla and zcarpenter92 like this.
  22. Mar 29, 2018 at 11:44 AM
    Stulloh

Stulloh New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    18 Tundra TSS
    We always do ground beef and rice for ours when sick. I thought I invented that....

Stroke250 and ColoradoTJ like this.
  23. Mar 29, 2018 at 12:01 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    I’d go with it...:thumbsup:

Stulloh[QUOTED] likes this.
  24. Mar 29, 2018 at 12:20 PM
    Jrmysell

Jrmysell New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC 4X4 TSS SR5
    Raw meat will overload their GI system with e coli mostly but they can get a few others. Some dogs can handle the bacteria but studies have shown that they all shed extremely high numbers of bacteria. Its bad for healthy adults much less immune compromised young kids and elderly or other immune compromised people.

Rice and cooked meat is good for upset gi systens. Chicken and rice is better than beef though

ColoradoTJ and Stulloh like this.
  25. Mar 29, 2018 at 12:27 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Wonder what pre domesticated dogs ate? Pretty sure we are not talking about humans....

I prefer chicken as well.

zcarpenter92, Copper Man and blizz86 like this.
  26. Mar 29, 2018 at 12:32 PM
    Jrmysell

Jrmysell New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC 4X4 TSS SR5
    Predomesticated dogs didnt live to 15 years like the owner wants and he has a 15 month old daughter who I'm guessing will be around the dog a decent amount of time. You don't want a dog shedding excessive amounts of bacteria around an immune compromised human like the owner has.

NewImprovedRon and ColoradoTJ like this.
  27. Mar 29, 2018 at 12:39 PM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    Your daughter will absolutely love a puppy, and the idea of them growing up together is really awesome.

We got our Golden when our son was about 6 or 7. They have been good buds....

28. Mar 29, 2018 at 12:45 PM
    blizz86

blizz86 New Member

Member:
    Weird.. all raw fed dogs i know (properly raw fed) have zero issues with inflammation or infections. In fact my now passed senior dog transitioned from high quality kibble to raw and his irritated belly skin went away and his activity shot way up.

I've raw fed my dog since he was 6 months old and hes now 5. Vitals are great every time ive brought him to the vet for a checkup. No stinky shits, no skin irritations, still the same high drive and energy level.

The key is safe food handling - same principles humans use (unless someone just eats out every day and doesn't cook anything).

When you say shed bacteria, could you clarify this? Does their feces have higher bacteria count vs kibble shits?

Copper Man likes this.
  29. Mar 29, 2018 at 12:51 PM
    Jrmysell

Jrmysell New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC 4X4 TSS SR5
    Pretty much .The dogs themselves can handle it (some, not all), but pretty much every dog fed a raw diet sheds (gives off bacteria to the environment) more bacteria and in extremely high amounts comparwd to dogs not. It will be in their feces a large amount so the yard will get contaminated, from their mouths, so their water bowl, if they lick anyone, if they chew on a you, etc, and they can shed from their respiratory system. But especially for a baby, the yard and if the dog licks the baby they'd be exposed needlessly

30. Mar 29, 2018 at 12:55 PM
    blizz86

blizz86 New Member

Member:
    Interesting.. but based off the same premise it goes back to maintaining clean hands when handling human food and the baby. Theres mold spores and all kinds of bacteria in the air and on every surface, no matter how much cleaning happens - except for ORs. The licking aspect does bring up a good point though, but i was under the assumption dog saliva contains various enzymes that pretty much act as as bactericides. I have senior parents and they get plenty of love from my dog, havent gotten any GI issues or diseases.

Products Discussed in

To Top