1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What the hell?!?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Kerch71, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Aug 24, 2019 at 11:22 AM
    BlueDream

BlueDream New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Dbl cab SR5 5.7
    6" procomp stage 3 lift, Method NV 18x9, Cooper STT pro 305/70R18, AFE air cleaner, LED fogs, Ranch hand Grille guard, Rhino liner, retrax bed cover, Flowmaster Duals, 15% Tint, vinyl chrome delete
    If tires were only 30 days old, 1 tire would of worked just fine. F' the Dealer. Scam artists. Wife had a Toy Matrix and was rear ended and totalled by an Illegal Alien Drunk. She Replaced the toy with a 18 Crosstrek. It is a way better car, in almost every way in our opinion, she loves it and great in the snow. Whatever makes her happy. Happy wife - Happy life:rolleyes: or not.

Kerch71[OP] likes this.
  2. Aug 24, 2019 at 12:40 PM
    Tacogrande

Tacogrande New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 dbl. cab long bed gray
    Husky weatherbeaters,short antenna,window deflectors
    So my question is are you more pissed at the tire dealer or yourself now?o_O

Watt maker and Black Wolf like this.
  3. Aug 24, 2019 at 1:06 PM
    careyrob

careyrob In the field

Member:
    First Name:
    Carey
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2008 Crewmax TRD 4x4 Silver
    LRO 3/1 leveling lift 35x12.50's on 20x9's Hellwig rear sway bar B&M 70264 SuperCooler Transmission Cooler Firestone airbags Daystar cradles Air Lift WirelessONE Compressor System
    I'd only use the fix-a-flat as a last resort. Especially if you have aluminum wheels.

It's pretty corrosive stuff. I've seen aluminum wheels that you can't seat a tire on because the owner used fix-a-flat and it ate up the sealing surface where the tire meets the rim.

If you do have to use it I'd recommend quickly getting to a tire shop afterwards and having them remove the tire to wash it and the wheel out and then have them do a proper patch if necessary before remounting the tire and rebalancing it.

4. Aug 24, 2019 at 2:29 PM
    Kerch71

Kerch71 [OP] Surgical Precision

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM SC TRD Pro/ICON/Total Chaos Build
    CM TRD Pro glass panels, Icon 2.5, TC long travel UCA/LCA, Toyota supercharger, Airlift rear suspension, Warn winch, custom front and rear bumper, Coachbuilder roof rack, lengthened chassis 12", 37" Nitto Grapplers, custom graphics, Magnaflow Flowmaster 4" SS Exhaust
    Probably me. For not knowing more about this car than I did. I know trucks and SUVS DAMMIT!:D

5. Aug 24, 2019 at 3:32 PM
    ZappBrannigan

ZappBrannigan The mind is willing but the flesh is weak

Member:
    Canada, by way of Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2018 1794 MGM
    NVS light bar

Ding ding ding. This is the correct take. That said, if memory serves Subaru claims 2/32 creates enough differential to burn up the AWD system. I don’t know if that is for a measure of safety or not but their AWD systems are pretty sensitive. (My tow company and some of my employees have discovered just how sensitive they are much to my chagrin.

ColoradoTJ and Kerch71[OP] like this.
  6. Aug 24, 2019 at 3:50 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Hee..hee:thumbsup:

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Aug 24, 2019 at 3:52 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    I'd only buy a car as a last resort :D

ColoradoTJ and Kerch71[OP] like this.
  8. Aug 24, 2019 at 3:57 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    You are correct sir.

I doubt he used 2/32nd in 30 days through.

https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Tread Depth Subaru

Kerch71[OP] likes this.
  9. Aug 24, 2019 at 4:56 PM
    Viking

Viking New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Vehicle:
    2007 metalic brown double cab Tundra
    I was told many years ago by a tire retreader that tires should be bought according to the DOT number on the side of the tires, matching numbers if at all possible because tires having the same size markings, like 215 70 R15 may be of a different diameter if they weren't made the same day, which the DOT number would indicate, I don't know how accurate that is in these days but it does seem logical that there may be differences in the same size tires made on different days. I miss the days when the spare tires were the same as those being used and really, does carrying a same size spare really make such a huge mpg difference? If so, I would rather have the safety factor of having a good spare over the other BS, yeah, I've seen the sticky crap from the leak stop crud, cleaned a few wheels that had that stuff in the tires and it's not fun to clean off, I think I use acetone and that barely did the job and I've heard that tire shops hate to mess with that stuff.

Kerch71[OP] likes this.
  10. Aug 24, 2019 at 6:44 PM
    RonW

RonW New Member

Member:
    This thread has been educational for me. I'll never buy an AWD if they are that sensitive.

Watt maker likes this.
  11. Aug 24, 2019 at 6:55 PM
    BlackSheep

BlackSheep caffeinated member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black DC 5.7L 4x4
    held together by duct tape and baling wire
    i would have lost my mind on everyone involved with this situation, Subaru, the tire shop, AAA, whatever it took to avoid replacing brand new tires. it really puts you in a bad place when you are faced with the task of overcoming the absurdity of something like this that no one else involved can see, but 99% of the rest of the world who still has a brain can.

12. Aug 24, 2019 at 7:19 PM
    TomC843

TomC843 The wheel weaves as the wheel wills.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    16, 4X4, 4U3, Katzkins, Flowmaster, ARE MX, Swing cases, TRD skid plate, Volant CAI....
    Wifes new 2019 Kia Nero Hybrid came with out a spare, internet says it is for weight savings. Luckily we took home on a Saturday night with a trip back on Monday for paperwork. Thats when I researched the car and found out no spare, could not believe it. I told wife spare tire kit will be included on Monday or no sale, I never get upset and she knew I was not happy. She told me it took all of 2 minutes for them to add the spare tire kit, they say as soon as someone asks it's almost automatic.

13. Aug 24, 2019 at 7:41 PM
    Milamber

Milamber New Member

Member:
    Dang I hadn’t realized they didn’t put spares in cars anymore. And I was miffed my Tundra had Michelin’s on the road and a Bridgestone spare!

As for the AWD being iffy about odd tires, I call a little BS there. Yeah different brands are different diameters even if it has the same size stamped on it. If you wanted to be safe I would have said two tires on the same axle would have been more than enough. The Subaru has a differential on each axle and a center diff. Wheels move at different speeds all the time. Tires wear differently and at different rates. That’s why it’s smart to
    Rotate the tires.

Watt maker likes this.
  14. Aug 24, 2019 at 8:06 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are food, not friends!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    What do you call a Subaru that’s backing up?....

...U R A bus. :D

This whole thing sounds like a plethora of bovine fecal matter to me.

30 days of likely unmeasurable wear, it would be one and done for this guy.

Watt maker likes this.
  15. Aug 24, 2019 at 8:14 PM
    Kn4x2

Kn4x2 Common sense is not so common!

Member:
    3rd rock from the sun
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 2WD
    Afe Pro Dry filter Tinted windows Coverking seat covers Traxion tailgate ladder Auto vox M1 backup camera
    My wife’s 2018 Toyota Yaris IA has a spare and still gets 40mpg, saving 20 pounds seems ridiculous.

16. Aug 24, 2019 at 8:24 PM
    TomC843

TomC843 The wheel weaves as the wheel wills.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    16, 4X4, 4U3, Katzkins, Flowmaster, ARE MX, Swing cases, TRD skid plate, Volant CAI....
    The Nero is 51mph almost tied with Prius, trying everything to match Toyota at almost 6k cheaper. Wife got 17k for the 16 Prius and 19 Nero was 24k.

17. Aug 24, 2019 at 8:41 PM
    TRDFerguson

TRDFerguson SSEM #99/RGBA #8-ish?/It’s a funny name.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Southeast Greater Basin, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CrüeMax
    My buddy with an Audi S4 royally effed up his drivetrain by putting a fresh tire on when he had a sidewall issue - no one told him about the AWD bullshit. Lucky for him, Audi and the tire shop that did the work figured things out and he didn't have to pay out of pocket. He did find out later that some companies will shave the new tire to match the older tires' diameter.

18. Aug 24, 2019 at 8:43 PM
    kjkeats

kjkeats New Member

Member:
    Rendon, TX
    Vehicle:
    15 CM SR5 MGM 4x4 5.7L
    I need to revise my opinion for most ridiculous thread posted on a Tundra forum.

You (“your wife made”) bought a Subaru bro, that all on you. Own it.

Products Discussed in

To Top