1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What the hell?!?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Kerch71, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Aug 24, 2019 at 3:44 AM
    Kerch71

Kerch71 [OP] Surgical Precision

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM SC TRD Pro/ICON/Total Chaos Build
    CM TRD Pro glass panels, Icon 2.5, TC long travel UCA/LCA, Toyota supercharger, Airlift rear suspension, Warn winch, custom front and rear bumper, Coachbuilder roof rack, lengthened chassis 12", 37" Nitto Grapplers, custom graphics, Magnaflow Flowmaster 4" SS Exhaust
    Anybody else encounter this bullshit?
    So, my wife bought a 2014 Subaru Crosstrek hybrid. Ok little car, but she loves it. She calls me one afternoon and says she got a flat tire clipping the curb at a gas station. I was working and she decides to call AAA for help. I say fine, that's why we have it, they can put on the spare, we'll deal with fixing the hole when I get off work. A few minutes later, she calls me back. She can't find the spare in the back. All she finds is a package containing fix-a-flat and a small compressor where the spare tire should be. I said "What?!?"
    She then tells me that the tire has a gash in the sidewall. AAA shows up. They refuse to do anything about the flat, that they are not permitted to use fix-a-flat. I say "What the fuck?!?"
    So, now I have to explain to my wife how to use fix-a-flat and a compressor, knowing that it may only work for a short time or not at all. She manages to get enough air into it to limp to a tire repair shop.
    I go to pick her up. I am then informed that if this model Subaru gets a flat and needs a new tire (this one did because of the sidewall gash) YOU HAVE TO REPLACE ALL 4 TIRES! I say "What in the FUCK is happening?!? Has the world COMPLETELY lost its fucking mind?!"
    What bothers me about this is 1) Why did Subaru do away with the time honored tradition of a spare fucking tire? I mean, I never thought to check the spare tire situation when we bought it. Why would I ? 2) Why does the NHTSB allow a can of fix-a-flat and a compressor to be a substitution for a simple spare tire? 3) In this age of oil consumption and excessive use of petroleum based products, it's INEXCUSABLE that 1 bad tire means all need replacing.

Had I know all of this, I never would have agreed to buy it. It's bullshit of the highest order. There, I've said my peace.

2. Aug 24, 2019 at 4:21 AM
    hagrid

hagrid The most diverse of Diversity Hires!

Member:
    First Name:
    Spraynard
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    K1600GTL ZX-14R
    paynuss stretchers
    AWD systems need all 4 tires to be the same circumference. That's why you cant throw on one new tire.

3. Aug 24, 2019 at 4:25 AM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    CM TRD Pro glass panels, Icon 2.5, TC long travel UCA/LCA, Toyota supercharger, Airlift rear suspension, Warn winch, custom front and rear bumper, Coachbuilder roof rack, lengthened chassis 12", 37" Nitto Grapplers, custom graphics, Magnaflow Flowmaster 4" SS Exhaust
    Yeah, it's my own damn fault for not asking more questions when we bought it. Never had a hybrid before. It's not even a good hybrid, if such a thing exists. It clunks all the time going from hybrid to normal. Can't get used to it. They still include a jack and lug wrench, thougho_O.

Black Wolf, MAGDADDY and Rex Kramer like this.
  4. Aug 24, 2019 at 4:58 AM
    Jas4tundra

Jas4tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jasmeet
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra limited white
    Stock
    Only Toyota and Honda have spare doughnut tire , others moved to fix a flat kit about 3-4 years ago for small cars and sub compact suvs.

Black Wolf and g6t9ed like this.
  5. Aug 24, 2019 at 5:13 AM
    Midnite72

Midnite72 Anything DIRT !!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Northern MD
    Vehicle:
    18 SR 5.7 4x4
    2” level P&P sliders
    @Kerch71
    That’s total BULL$HIT !!!

What a $HIT SHOW - especially when it comes to safety of woman and possibly children stranded on the side of the road with no spare and AAA can’t help

I guess this is a lesson to all to know what ur vehicle has when it comes to emergency issues

I’d trade that subawhoooo in on a Toyota SUV
    pronto!!

Kerch71[OP] and 15Yota like this.
  6. Aug 24, 2019 at 5:18 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    You mean buying a new tire in the same size isn't good enough? I just can't believe this. What's going to happen if you only buy 1 tire?

Kerch71[OP] likes this.
  7. Aug 24, 2019 at 5:20 AM
    tightywhitey

tightywhitey New Member

Member:
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tundra CREWMAX - Louisiana Edition
    I have a Honda Insight without a spare. It has the fix a flat stuff. I have been reading about adding the civic spare.

8. Aug 24, 2019 at 5:20 AM
    hagrid

hagrid The most diverse of Diversity Hires!

Member:
    First Name:
    Spraynard
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    K1600GTL ZX-14R
    paynuss stretchers
    Abnormal driveline wear.

9. Aug 24, 2019 at 5:39 AM
    ToyotaTundraMike

ToyotaTundraMike Not A New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    My bosses 2015 Chevy Malibu is the same way. I couldn’t believe it when he told me there wasn’t a spare, just a can of fix a flat. Manufacturers are getting cheaper and the prices keep going up....

Watt maker, dak13 and Midnite72 like this.
  10. Aug 24, 2019 at 5:42 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    It’ll have better tread and more grip. The awd system might think the other tires are slipping in some situations.

Black Wolf likes this.
  11. Aug 24, 2019 at 5:43 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    @Kerch71 what did you end up doing? 4 new tires?

You have my attention because my wife and I like that Crosstrek.

12. Aug 24, 2019 at 5:52 AM
    duece292

duece292 Appalachian American

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Green Bay, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra SR5 CM TRD 5.7 4X4
    My daughter has a '13 Chevy Malibu... mmphhh...uckk...:puke: sorry, I throw up in my mouth a little every time I say that... it has the fix-a-flat and compressor too. She has specific instructions not to use it unless it's absolutely necessary.

Black Wolf and SouthBoundSteve like this.
  13. Aug 24, 2019 at 5:53 AM
    RonW

RonW New Member

Member:
    I bet you 1 million dollars I'd put 1 tire on it.

And they could kiss my behind.

But yeah, I bought a mustang one time that didnt have a spare. They said it was weight savings or something. Fix a flat and compressor was there.

Watt maker and Kerch71[OP] like this.
  14. Aug 24, 2019 at 7:06 AM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    The lack of a full-size size spare is the future reality based on reduced weight (fuel efficiency; we've been hauling dead weight around forever). Some self-evident truths that may not apply to the average Tundras.com member have also hastened the reality:

(1) Most driver/owners have no idea where their jack, lug wrench, and spare tire are located, let alone frequently check the spare's air pressure. If they have to change a flat, the spare is likely to be flat or near flat, and they will read the owner's manual on the side of the road to learn how to change a tire. They will then need a compressor or inflation can just to get it functional after they've changed it.

(2) Most female and male drivers these days are not well suited for changing a tire on the shoulder of a busy interstate highway. You have to be smart enough and careful enough to get and stay way out of harm's way. You have to be strong enough to loosen the lug nuts installed with impact guns and to lift a tire out of the trunk, or, in the case of Tundra, drag it out of the bottom of the chassis.

I always keep a can of fix-a-flat in my vehicles just to avoid changing tires on the road. At least the new OEM versions allow you to select only air to inflate, or air and goo to inflate and stop the leak. In the Tundra, I should probably keep two. But, that won't help me with a large road hazard puncture or blow-out. If I'm alert, hopefully I can avoid those.

My wife has AAA; she's smart, but I doubt she could figure out that inflation can and compressor if she needed. Run flat tires may be a good idea, but expensive. Last resort for a woman, drive it to the nearest tire store with the wheels sparking.

15. Aug 24, 2019 at 7:11 AM
    Sas

Sas Humor is everywhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    '17 SR5 CM TSS 4WD MGM 5.7 FF
    Lost track after #1.
  16. Aug 24, 2019 at 7:12 AM
    Squatting Pigeon

Squatting Pigeon Squattingpigeon.com Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    Here's why AAA wont use fix a flat:
    IMG00042-20101126-0242.jpg

kenomouth64 and Watt maker like this.
  17. Aug 24, 2019 at 7:22 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    Man, I recently roated the tires on my wife's Rav4. I had a hell of a time trying to figure
    out where to jack the rear. On the front it's obvious because you can see the frame. Not so on the rear. Neither the owners manual or Google were any help. I eventually gave up and just lifted the control arm. Still not sure if that's ok.

Point being, you're right. But even the owners manual was no help. It's a lot easier working on my Tundra.

18. Aug 24, 2019 at 7:24 AM
    Melikeymy beer

Melikeymy beer No cooler for you!

Member:
    Muscogee Nation
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platypus Tundra
    My daughter's Hyundai Elantra came with only a crappy air compressor that plugs into the lighter and a can of tire Goo that attaches to the compressor line. After using it once, I bought her a donut and tire changing tools. There was luckily a spot for it under the carpet in the trunk.

19. Aug 24, 2019 at 7:28 AM
    Omohundro

Omohundro 2018 Not a Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jody
    McMinnville TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum
    Bak Revolver, BedRug, Undercover Swingcase, PopLock, Bilstein 5160(rear), Firestone RideRite, TRD rear sway bar, Coachbuilder +2 rear shackles, Andersen 5” aluminum adjustable hitch, TRD dual exhaust, VLEDS interior leds including the footwell kit, TundraTex FRAC mod, VLEDS LPR backup tag mount led, Husky X-Act mats, Color matched cup holder bezel (silver), Ceramic 20% tint all around, 50% Ceramic windshield, Color Matched door handles & mirror caps, The “Stubby” antenna, AMP Research steps, VLEDS 6”step lights, ToyTec/5100 Bilstein coil overs, 700lbs red ToyTec springs (2.75” lift), 20x9 +18 Method 306 custom painted and custom fit center caps, Gorilla spline lugs, Bridgestone Revo 3s 285/60R20, TRD skid plate, RaptorLiner “Red” tow hooks, 19 Pro black LED headlights, VLEDS Triton V6 turns, Rigid SAE D series fog lamps, 19 TRD hood scoop, 2019 TRD Pro grille, Coachbuilder bumper shims, X-Pel protect under mud guards, Opti Coat Ceramic, Opti Coat Sealed. And some snakes and sparklers, because they are my favorite!
    New Challengers do not have spare tires, or at least the Hell Cat doesn’t.

Watt maker and ColoradoTJ like this.
  20. Aug 24, 2019 at 7:31 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    He should’ve given her the free tow to the tire shop at least.

21. Aug 24, 2019 at 7:54 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Oh damn. That sucks. We have the 2018 Crosstrek and it does have the spare tire/etc. I guess this is no different than a BMW AWD (runflats...price those tires out), Corvette (this cost will make you slap yo mom), and many other makes. Only vehicles that I have owned that had a full sized spare and same wheel were: 1970 Chevelle and my Audi quattro.

The AWD and tire circumference has already been covered.

22. Aug 24, 2019 at 9:37 AM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    So, I ended up putting on 4 new tires (godammit). What I failed to mention is that the original tires were about 30 days old. You can't convince me that 30 days of wear is going to fuck up the AWD system if 1 tire is changed. I don't buy it, but my wife wanted to go with Subaru's recommendation. Can't argue with the boss.;)
    As far as the Crosstrek, I don't like it. It's too small, the factory radio is absolute garbage, the "carpeting" is cheap felt that won't come clean, there's no light in the cargo area, it constantly beeps at you.....ok, I'll stop there. We're looking at 4Runners. :bananadance:Subaru was a bad choice and I'll never own another. Appreciate everyone's feedback.:thumbsup:

Watt maker, Viking and 15whtrd like this.
  23. Aug 24, 2019 at 9:43 AM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    I knew it!!! Why would Subaru recommend 4 new tires if they were only 30 days old?! The Crosstrek is a true AWD system and doesn't require 4 new tires.
    Crazy world. Someone should sell tickets.

24. Aug 24, 2019 at 10:09 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Now with 30 day old tires...I would have called bullshit.

Exact reason my other half is not allowed to go inside a dealership without me. Every time she does, they try to take advantage of her having boobs.

25. Aug 24, 2019 at 10:13 AM
    Scuba

Scuba Sober member

Member:
    Austin, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Texas Edition CM.
    They wanted to take your money.

There is some truth to the situation.

I sell tires for a living.
    If the tires are that new I would sell you one tire alone BUT only after telling you that Subaru recommends 4 tires at once and that it can damage the drivetrain by replacing less than 4 matching tires.

If you replace 1 with the same exact thing and the other tires are within 4/32's of new you're probably okay.

Sorry about your situation.

Hyundai and Kia started deleting spares about 10 years ago now. Federal CAFE Laws have pushed manufacturers toward more MPG and the easiest way to increase fuel efficiency is to remove weight.

26. Aug 24, 2019 at 10:15 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Worst came to worst for something like that, and the tire shop refusing to replace 1 tire and insisting on all four. I would remove the wheel and bring it down there separately. Get the tire mounted and balanced, return home and install myself LOL. Even though replacing all four tires that are 30 days old, because one tire is bad, is complete BS.

I would probably lose my shit.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  27. Aug 24, 2019 at 10:25 AM
    Omohundro

Omohundro 2018 Not a Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jody
    McMinnville TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum
    Bak Revolver, BedRug, Undercover Swingcase, PopLock, Bilstein 5160(rear), Firestone RideRite, TRD rear sway bar, Coachbuilder +2 rear shackles, Andersen 5” aluminum adjustable hitch, TRD dual exhaust, VLEDS interior leds including the footwell kit, TundraTex FRAC mod, VLEDS LPR backup tag mount led, Husky X-Act mats, Color matched cup holder bezel (silver), Ceramic 20% tint all around, 50% Ceramic windshield, Color Matched door handles & mirror caps, The “Stubby” antenna, AMP Research steps, VLEDS 6”step lights, ToyTec/5100 Bilstein coil overs, 700lbs red ToyTec springs (2.75” lift), 20x9 +18 Method 306 custom painted and custom fit center caps, Gorilla spline lugs, Bridgestone Revo 3s 285/60R20, TRD skid plate, RaptorLiner “Red” tow hooks, 19 Pro black LED headlights, VLEDS Triton V6 turns, Rigid SAE D series fog lamps, 19 TRD hood scoop, 2019 TRD Pro grille, Coachbuilder bumper shims, X-Pel protect under mud guards, Opti Coat Ceramic, Opti Coat Sealed. And some snakes and sparklers, because they are my favorite!
    No way I would have replaced 30 day old tires. Period

28. Aug 24, 2019 at 10:26 AM
    kgb4187

kgb4187 New Member

Member:
    I'm guessing the shop charged her a disposal fee for all 4 tires. Check Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace because I guarantee they're trying to sell them.

landphil, Watt maker and Kerch71[OP] like this.
  29. Aug 24, 2019 at 11:00 AM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, lesson learned I guess. Expensive damn lesson though. :mad:

Black Wolf and 15whtrd like this.
  30. Aug 24, 2019 at 11:19 AM
    Sas

Sas Humor is everywhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    '17 SR5 CM TSS 4WD MGM 5.7 FF
    Lost track after #1.
    My guess is it's one of those pervasive factoids that just wasn't updated as AWD technology progressed.

Products Discussed in

To Top