1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What octane gas do you use for your Tundra?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by tundrathr0w, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Apr 2, 2019 at 8:11 PM
    Yodder J

Yodder J New Member

Member:
    Northwest Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver Tundra SR5 4WD DC
    Twisted steel and sex appeal behind the wheel
    So I just put E85 in my truck, and it does feel like it has more low end torque. The gas station I bought it at is selling E85 for $2.15 gallon, but on the pump, it says "70% ETHANOL" so it's really E70... anyhow, it may just be my mind playing tricks on me but the truck does feel like it has more pep...

2. Apr 2, 2019 at 8:15 PM
    Racingjohndeere55

Racingjohndeere55 Asst. Pot Stirrer

Member:
    First Name:
    Harv
    NEPA
    Vehicle:
    None
    Alcohol carries it's own oxygen. So you are able to pack more fuel in the cylinder per stroke.

3. Apr 2, 2019 at 8:29 PM
    Racingjohndeere55

Racingjohndeere55 Asst. Pot Stirrer

Member:
    First Name:
    Harv
    NEPA
    Vehicle:
    None
    87. 16.99 mpg 10% ethanol. Beast mode without the tow/haul

4. May 15, 2019 at 1:35 PM
    Rakso

Rakso Tundra + Tacoma=Winner

Member:
    First Name:
    Oskar
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    18 CM Super White 4X4
    TRD sway bar, TRD filter
    So 91, right? Lmao

5. May 15, 2019 at 1:38 PM
    TokerJoker

TokerJoker If it's worth trying, try it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black SR5 4.6 Dbl Cab
    None.....yet
    87 from Costco only

6. May 15, 2019 at 2:08 PM
    Rakso

Rakso Tundra + Tacoma=Winner

Member:
    First Name:
    Oskar
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    18 CM Super White 4X4
    TRD sway bar, TRD filter
    I'm about to take a 600 mile road trip, I got Costco at both start and end locatios. We'll see. 91 on the way there, 87 on the way back.

Migraine likes this.
  7. May 17, 2019 at 2:02 PM
    ktmhauler

ktmhauler New Member

Member:
    Whew can't believe I just read through this whole thing trying to figure out what kind of gas to put in my new truck :)

I'm pretty well researched in octane ratings and ethanol vs. non etc. when finding the right fuel for my 2 stroke dirt bike, let me try to clear a few things up.

1. Not getting less ethanol with higher-octane premium fuels. Ethanol is a cheap way to boost octane so you are more likely to get that full 10% of ethanol if you buy premium 93 unless clearly marked as non-ethanol
    2. You aren't getting better gas mileage with higher octane fuels. The higher the octane rating the less combustible the gas, so if you aren't running higher compression you aren't getting as much energy out of the fuel so less mpg*
    3. Your daily driver manufactured this century is fine with 10% ethanol gas or E10. E10 is only a problem if it sits for awhile and absorbs water or you run it in a engine that wasn't designed for it.
    4. A premium fuel could be better for your engine, even if you don't need it due to lower compression, if it has better additives, better quality control, etc. but I don't know any brand of standard pump gas that makes it worth it for this reason alone.
    5. E85 sucks. Just don't use it unless it is at least 30% cheaper and you don't need all of your horsepower
    6. non-ethanol of a suitable octane is better than E10 by about 3% so if the price of pure gas is 3% or lower vs. the E10 get the pure gas.
    The * from #2 and what I'm here trying to figure out. Some engines will retard timing to prevent knocking with lower octane fuel, which means that you aren't getting all of your performance and therefore MPG, does the MPG loss make up for the higher price of a 91 vs. 87? Ehh hard to say but I want my engine running at the peak performance it was designed for. But I've only really heard of that happening for cars that say they want 91+ but will retard the timing if you do put lower octane in to protect the engine, never really heard of them asking for 87 and always running "downgraded" and boosting timing if it has higher octane fuel

I've heard people mention that happens for the gen 3 tundra's with the 5.7, but does anyone have any definitive evidence of that?

Also while I don't plan to run E85, I can with the FFV, so i'm thinking maybe on a long road trip of highway driving, if the price is right and i'm going to burn through the whole tank in a day or two, it might be worth it

8. May 17, 2019 at 9:39 PM
    Tundra_power

Tundra_power New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    87 vs 93 for a daily driver i recommend 87. But if you want performance go will 93. I have the bullydog bdx and i can tell the difference fron regular and performance tune. Octane has alittle more to it than you think. Alot people say 93 is better gas or e85 is shit gas wronggg. No 93 is the same quality gas has 87 its just less prone to knock. And the timing with 87 is so retard its not even funny. Toyota recommends 87 because they design it to be safe running that octane. CAFE standards and why would they put, you need to run 91+ octane. No its truck and i think they would have less buyers out their for that reason. And e85 ethanol has less btu than gasoline but it has more oxygen which is a good thing and its has a more complete burn. 100 ethanol is like 105 octane. And e85 is about 93 octane. I run 87 octane and e15 with performance tune no pinging and more power. Better yet 93 ethanol free and e20 thats power right there before you go to the track. So running a tuner go 91+ see how it does. daily driver with no tune 87 but its where you get the gas also. Dont go to some joe shop and buy gas. Go to sunco or mobile with high quality gas.

Products Discussed in

To Top