1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What octane gas do you use for your Tundra?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by tundrathr0w, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Jul 10, 2018 at 5:31 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    87 plus some Sea Foam every now and then.

UNTMatt likes this.
  2. Jul 10, 2018 at 5:40 AM
    BTBAKER

BTBAKER DIFFERENT NAME. SAME JUNK.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    So essentially the “government” it saying that the 85 in Colorado should only be run in carbed engines? Every station in Colorado has 85 as it’s first choice but maybe 5 percent of the vehicles in the state still have carbs. I’m calling BS on some of that article @ColoradoTJ

3. Jul 10, 2018 at 5:42 AM
    tundras00

tundras00 New Member

Member:
    Like most of the crap they put out.

4. Jul 10, 2018 at 5:47 AM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
  5. Jul 10, 2018 at 6:02 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Then run 85 octane.

85 octane is not your first choice, but one of several.

Since I’m not a chemical engineer and have had this debate with an actual chemical engineer in a refinery, this article is spot on.

boostedtrdpro, Ike74 and Leo's first like this.
  6. Jul 10, 2018 at 6:16 AM
    BTBAKER

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    I will. Thanks. And if this is the case then we are taking it directly in the ass here because the 85 price is usually in the line with the first choice around the country which normally is 87. Then we usually have two more choices which obviously go up accordingly just like the rest of the country. Odd that the leaders of our state would allow this platform. The lady’s Highlander has 100,000 on it running nothing but 85 and runs like a champ and that is what the dealers said to run in both my Tundra and Highlander.

Edit...I don’t trust many dealers so strike the last part..

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jul 10, 2018 at 6:56 AM
    UNTMatt

UNTMatt New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Attitude Black 4x4 Limited
    TRD Pro grille, TRD Pro black badging, TRD Pro shift knob, LED under dash lights, GBS, Llumar ceramic tint, BackFlip HD.
    Top Tier, 87 octane.

I usually fill up at Costco since it's right around the corner but QT (QuikTrip) is also top tier. I try to find top tier gas on road trips as well but I won't go too far out of the way to make it happen. Top tier fuel has to meet higher detergent requirements than the federal standards and has been proven to be effective at keeping engines cleaner over time.

Octane may help improve mileage and power under specific situations (outside of vehicles that require it); however, in most cases your engine may put out worse emissions, can actually reduce power, or (at minimum) not have the returns in mpg's in ratio to the cost at the pump.

Do what you want, ymmv, yadda, yadda, yadda.

--Matt

Leo's first likes this.
  8. Jul 10, 2018 at 7:08 AM
    HecticEnergy

HecticEnergy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tundra SR5
    Winjet Rear brake lights, leather seats, BackFlip tonneau cover, Spyder headlights, Pro Grille, pop&lock
    Same - conveniently located Costco, so I usually fill up there. When road tripping I dont usually worry about gas quality much. I figure the top tier will clear out the gunk since that's what I usually run and we only "road trip" a few times a year. Usually hit up truck stops or gas stations just outside of metro's to save a few nickles. I mean, if there's a Costco in the area I'll fill up there, but I'm not going to go way out of my way to get to one.

UNTMatt[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Jul 10, 2018 at 8:10 AM
    HecticEnergy

HecticEnergy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tundra SR5
    Winjet Rear brake lights, leather seats, BackFlip tonneau cover, Spyder headlights, Pro Grille, pop&lock
    One thing that drives me nuts is Costco closes their pumps... It's basically all automated... why wont you let me fill up after 10pm?? lol

TundraLuv and BTBAKER like this.
  10. Jul 10, 2018 at 8:43 AM
    phiredrop

phiredrop New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM Tundra Platinum
    87, also here in CO (it's the middle option). On our recent road trip I stuck with whatever the 'middle' option happened to be.. 87, 88, 89..

BTBAKER likes this.
  11. Jul 10, 2018 at 9:12 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I wouldn't trust the people that will do major repairs at their financial benefit either.

Most people will be fine using 85 octane whatever. Not many people keep vehicles long enough to actually see a problem, and the next owner deals with it. Hell, the highest mileage vehicle I've ever owned was an 02 Dodge 2500 HO at 189K miles...very hard miles that cost me a lot of money. Hopefully my Lexus will go 200K plus over the next 6 years without a lot of headache, then I can get my Lexus RC for the long lazy days of retirement.

BTBAKER[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Jul 10, 2018 at 9:51 AM
    belanger9

belanger9 New Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road Inferno
    A bunch
    87 for the most part, but since it is labelled as possibly up to 10% ethanol once in a while I'll jump to 91 (or 93 depending on the station) which isn't labelled as possibly having ethanol. Like to do that when I'm 1/4 tank or less. I'm paranoid of getting any water in the fuel, I've had it happen with 30 day old 87 fuel (never had issues with 91) in my small engines before so I run the 91 with the idea to minimize water in the fuel.

13. Jul 10, 2018 at 10:54 AM
    BTBAKER

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    Yea, I’ve been rethinking my gas option after reading your article and doing my own research. It’s somewhat divided but there is evidence that suggests you should run minimum 87. That pisses me off. I feel like we are getting duped out here. Our 87 mid grade is more than the rest of the country’s 87. Total scam.
    Thanks. Now I’ll be running premium in this beast...:spending:

sprtbkr and ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] like this.
  14. Jul 10, 2018 at 11:55 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Don't feel bad...my IS350 has a compression of 11.8:1. I have to run good premium.....

My Tundra ran awesome on 87 octane, or mid grade here in CO.

I argued like no other with that Fuels Engineer (I was on a ski bus), he had facts, and I had hearsay. LOL!! He won.

BTBAKER[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Jul 10, 2018 at 12:07 PM
    sprtbkr

sprtbkr Average Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5 4x4 Double Cab - Inferno
    TRD Wheels & Tires, Double Cab Fold-down Back Seat mod, LED Interior Lighting, Turned Off Seat Belt Chime, Franken-key (Flip Key), Duraliner Bed Liner, Bed Rails, Hood Wind Deflector, Console Gun Safe, iBoard 5" Running Boards, TRD Sport Bed Vinyl, Fortin Evo One Remote Start with Mycar Cellular Module, Plasti-dipped Badges and Bumper End Caps, Tinted front windows, Extang Solid Fold 2.0, Pop-N-Lock, TUNDRA tailgate inserts, RCI Powder Coated Skid Plate - coming soon - 12” android radio, oemaudio+ Reference 500Q, under dash/seat lighting.
    I'm feeling this way, too. And Costco only has 85 and 91. Should I do 1/2 and 1/2? :)

BTBAKER[QUOTED] and ColoradoTJ like this.
  16. Jul 10, 2018 at 12:24 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    That's what mid grade is at the pump, a mixture of 85 & 91.

17. Jul 10, 2018 at 8:49 PM
    joesTundra

joesTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle:
    2018, Toyota Tundra Limited, TRD 4x4 off road
    Kwik-fil in pa makes a 90 octane ethanol
    Free gasoline

BTBAKER likes this.
  18. Jul 10, 2018 at 8:58 PM
    Masher59

Masher59 New Member

Member:
    Ponchatoula, La
    Vehicle:
    2018 Platinum Tundra
    The Shell and Chevron right by my neighborhood both sell 87 Ethanol Free and I run it in everything. Even if you don't run this in your vehicle then definitely run it in your small engine equipment, 4 wheelers, boats, etc...

Jengel451, ColoradoTJ and BTBAKER like this.
  19. Jul 10, 2018 at 9:20 PM
    tundras00

tundras00 New Member

Member:
    Apparently in Shitcago it is mandated to have a special summer blend with ethanol. I thought this was only done in winter, but nooo.... Even more reason to go for 89 or 93 to retard timing some.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-gas-prices-midwest-0819-biz-20150818-story.html

I just ran some 93 with 2 cans of seafoam and the truck feels great from the regular 87. With 87 the truck had more shaking, and now it feels smooth. Not to mention that the truck only has 15k on it, so it's not something from high mileage.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  20. Jul 10, 2018 at 9:33 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Here in Colorado Springs, we have one place that sells pure ethanol free high octane gas. It’s very expensive, like CA expensive. Last time I ran it for my chainsaw, the fuel was over 4.00 a gallon.

21. Jul 10, 2018 at 9:48 PM
    Masher59

Masher59 New Member

Member:
    Ponchatoula, La
    Vehicle:
    2018 Platinum Tundra
    87 ethanol free is 2.61 a gallon here now.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  22. Jul 10, 2018 at 9:59 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Damn that’s good pricing for great gas. 2.89 here for the crap.

23. Jul 11, 2018 at 3:29 AM
    ARES

ARES ARES Fabrications

Member:
    God Bless America
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Cement
  24. Jul 11, 2018 at 4:06 AM
    Leo's first

Leo's first TRUCK GANG

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Groton ma
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra Limited CM Pyrite Mica
    This this this
    Detonate or ping I think it is referred to
    I’m no expert but father worked in oil refinery’for 40 years as chemist I’ve heard this many times

BTBAKER likes this.
  25. Jul 11, 2018 at 9:23 AM
    Ike74

Ike74 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Sugar Land, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 Kia Forte
    Agreed, and to an earlier person's statement:
    What is 85 octane, and is it safe to use in my vehicle?
    The sale of 85 octane fuel was originally allowed in high-elevation regions—where the barometric pressure is lower—because it was cheaper and because most carbureted engines tolerated it fairly well. This is not true for modern gasoline engines. So, unless you have an older vehicle with a carbureted engine, you should use the manufacturer-recommended fuel for your vehicle, even where 85 octane fuel is available.

303Tundra and ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] like this.
  26. Jul 11, 2018 at 10:21 AM
    HecticEnergy

HecticEnergy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tundra SR5
    Pardon my dumb questions / misunderstandings...

You are burning an air fuel mixture (air + fuel + spark = fire). Higher altitude means "thinner air" or lower density of O2, which would mean you'd need less (or lower octane rated) fuel to get the same results, right? with less 02 you'd be exhausting more un-ignited fuel.

What does octane really mean? From what I could tell is it's a rating for "engine knock resistance." 100 would mean an engine wouldn't "knock" (?) Knocking being the engine cylinder firing due to the temperature in the cylinder during the upstroke of the piston during the compression stroke instead of the spark generated by your spark plug - forcing it down prematurely which could seriously jack up your engine. So octane is more about temperature resistance than a rating directly indicating petroleum to additive mixture..?

I know the first thought assumes octane indicates burn rate, where the second states octane rating is more about to ignition temperature than burn rate... I'm certainly missing something here.

I'm an engineer, but quite obviously not any kind of automotive engineer :rofl:

27. Jul 11, 2018 at 10:33 AM
    Ike74

Ike74 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Sugar Land, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 Kia Forte
    You are correct in that Octane refers to an ignition point, where higher octane ignites with increased pressure or spark. 85 octane might sound well given the lower oxygen in higher altitudes, however there has been plenty of research to show that there really are minimums safe for the modern engine. Even at a mile high, the oxygen is still not thin enough for 85 octane. I may be overly sensitive, but when I first got my 18 Tundra a few months ago I filled it up with 85. The truck felt sluggish to me. Which I thought was normal, but I kept reading how powerful the truck was and I could not understand this statement. I then read in our manual about the minimum octane, and did a crap ton of research on octane. From that point on I switched to a higher octane and can actually feel a difference. I know it is not a placebo effect because my poor a$$ would greatly prefer to spend less on gas and it still hurts to hit the 87 or 91 button at the pump.

28. Jul 11, 2018 at 11:18 AM
    tundras00

tundras00 New Member

Member:
    I felt the same thing. There's a good chance that the ECU brings down the timing some.

Ike74[QUOTED] likes this.
  29. Jul 11, 2018 at 11:24 AM
    HecticEnergy

HecticEnergy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tundra SR5
    Engines with higher compression ratings require higher octane rating to keep from prematurely ejacu-umm-igniting... wouldn’t fuel with a lower a octane rating (lower ignition point) burn more completely? With a lower ignition point I’d assume it’d be more volitile (create more of an explosion as it would burn more completely). Less coming out of the tail pipe.

I’ve always assumed a higher octane rating meant more “go power.” Dumping the same amount of a more explosive fuel into the furnace creating more power to force the piston down faster... never really looked into it before. Seems like, if that’s the case, it’d be forcing the piston down out side of what the manufacture built it for which would reduce engine life.

I realize this is all highly speculative, and I’m not arguing with your results, just trying to understand better.

EDIT:
    Found this on another thread ("Octane") - Interesting information... clears up some of the definitions and misconceptions.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  30. Jul 11, 2018 at 11:29 AM
    OneEye

OneEye New Member

Member:
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CM TRD Sport 4X4
    87, mostly at Costco since it's only 2 miles from the house.

UNTMatt likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top