1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What have you done to your 1st gen Tundra today?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by T-Rex266, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Apr 19, 2021 at 4:20 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    He should do a semi-slow mode drive through the country roads of his with a wide angle. Kinda like my Foreign Land Kumbyaya Mediation Vids with Babbling Brookes, Peaceful Birds and Chirping Insects. Mount the Camera to the front bar and overlay Mooing Cows and Chickens and such during daylight hours.

bmf4069 and KarmaKannon like this.
  2. Apr 19, 2021 at 4:28 PM
    Jack McCarthy

Jack McCarthy Truck repair enthusiast; Rust Aficionado

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    North of Boston
    Vehicle:
    02 Tundra AC SR5 V8 4x4
    Only if it involves super slo-mo when he hits a turkey .

Last time I hit a bird on the highway doing 70, that thing exploded in a ball of feathers when it hit the windshield. :eek: :D

3. Apr 19, 2021 at 5:53 PM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    I almost went mishimoto. But I’m super happy with my custom radiator and it’s built in trans cooler.. want to wire in a sequoia condenser fan too..

lsaami[QUOTED] and Thrussn like this.
  4. Apr 19, 2021 at 6:03 PM
    Tundra2

Tundra2 Zoinked

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tundra V8 SR5 '03 Corolla Virus
    https://youtu.be/pmeVwYojB-s?t=3m38s

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    FirstGenVol, Darkness, lsaami and 2 others like this.
  5. Apr 19, 2021 at 7:13 PM
    empty_lord

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
  6. Apr 19, 2021 at 8:46 PM
    onesojourner

onesojourner Here, let me derail that for you

Member:
    SW MO
    Vehicle:
    06 DBLcab LTD 4x4
    My radiator is solid bit it's looking pretty rough. I want to have a game plan ahead of time. Didn't you come across a good option for a double cab? I would like a cooling system upgrade. I tow a lot.

7. Apr 19, 2021 at 9:19 PM
    empty_lord

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    CSF makes a double cab radiator. it looked great other than not fitting my truck.

they also make a slightly larger trans cooler too

onesojourner[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Apr 19, 2021 at 9:35 PM
    NUDRAT

NUDRAT 6 lug life

Member:
    SW CT
    Vehicle:
    off-brand 1st Gen
    So awhile back the Tundra had a leaking rear diff which I fixed, only to have another leak develop. Turned out I had a clogged breather, fixed that & fixed my leaks. Actually I was lucky not to blow a seal & ruin the brakes.
    Well I had the Tacoma in for a new oil pan. Got it back & had a new oil leak. Took it back &.... Turns out my front diff breather was clogged forcing oil out a pin hole on the front diff. Breather fixed, pin hole fixed. Told him to check the rear breather, cause I'm seeing a pattern. Next time the Tundra is in, front breather function is getting checked.

Guess about 200k is the magic breather clogging number in this region.
    Who knew you were supposed to check those? (Other than everyone else on this list....)

FrenchToasty, des2mtn and bmf4069 like this.
  9. Apr 19, 2021 at 9:37 PM
    empty_lord

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    do yourself a favor. breather extension and then use a fuel filter so it can freely breath in and out.

10. Apr 20, 2021 at 2:34 AM
    RUSTYNUTS

RUSTYNUTS Diagnosed: incurable

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    sOCal
    Vehicle:
    The oldest 1st Gen
    to be continued...
    If you do have to sell?? That’s straight crazy talk bud. I was followin along and gotta say, you did above and beyond what I, as well as most others here, and probably 95% of the shops out there would ever do in rebuilding an engine. Frikkin immaculate work. And bein such a youngster. You get an attaboy for sure. Anyways, it’s gotta be minor, you already did all the major work. But...,..... if you do decide to throw in the towel and sell- I got first dibs. Haha

11. Apr 20, 2021 at 3:47 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    The front breathers on the 2002 are located in the engine bay just below the fuse box area region. I swirl mine whenever I get a chance.

12. Apr 20, 2021 at 9:32 AM
    SCRunner12

SCRunner12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 Crewmax
    Any suggestions for an OEM TB/WP kit? Truck is going through coolant and I have a big ring of fluid around the water pump so time to change (per records last was 170k and I’m at 220k).

13. Apr 20, 2021 at 9:42 AM
    speedtre

speedtre New Member

Member:
    Inland Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2006 BSM Toyota Tundra DC TRD 4x4
  14. Apr 20, 2021 at 9:45 AM
    SCRunner12

SCRunner12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 Crewmax
  15. Apr 20, 2021 at 11:23 AM
    lsaami

lsaami Let ‘er buck

Member:
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra 4x4 "$1100 Build"
    3/2" lift, visor, 33s, eibach pro-truck, Cvj axles BFF Bumper 4.56 Tacoma Diffs
    I’m excited to see my results. I have noticed trans temps creeped up a bit as well. For $400 it’s hard to beat. I would’ve ordered a cold case, but they’re “coming soon” and didn’t respond to my emails.

16. Apr 20, 2021 at 12:15 PM
    theblurry1

theblurry1 ~

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    2001 Thunder Grey Tundra AC Limited 4x4 V8
    (Camper conversion underway.) Rebuilt engine w/265K miles, A.R.E. camper shell (w/cab pass-through, rooftop fan, and side windows delete), bedlinered steel ladder rack (w/wooden rooftop deck and hammock mount), all LED lights (red dash, 4" side floods, 32" rear bar), Android head unit, 1.5" lift from Bilstein 5100 struts, 32" DuraTrac tires on factory rims, 1.5" wheel spacers, Moog suspension parts, SuperSprings leaf kit, diff drop, Reese trailer brake control, GoRhino Hitch Step, debadged, F-150 rear bumper, Sequoia center console unit upgrade, partial rear bench seat delete, dashcam, aftermarket speakers, 50% sound deadening coverage, custom tools unit.
    Alright guys, shop just got back to me with an ouchie $1700 quote to replace the fuel pump, they said it's whirring and only getting 10psi. No way. It worked just fine before the rebuild, the in-line (not internal) filter is new, and injectors are new; I'm wondering if the internal filter or pump itself got clogged from congealed gas (without stabilizer) sitting in the tank for half a year.

Has anyone replaced a fuel pump on here? Even with the OEM part at $250 and towing bill $150, it'd still be way cheaper for me to replace the pump, filter, and bushing myself. I believe that's a job I could do. Instead of dropping the tank and having to remove driveline stuff and deal with tight clearances, I would cut an "access door" into the bed, either square or with a big hole saw, like some Chevy Astro owners do as seen in this video. I don't care about cutting holes in my truck. And I can't take the bed off without a forklift because it is permanently setup with a ladder rack and shell.

Let me know if the hole would be a feasible solution given the pump's placement, or if you even think the pump is bad at all! I asked them if they clear out the lines and they only will if they do the replacement.

ALSO, whoever guessed that a ground was missing, you were right---there was one not connected at the cylinder head. $150 mistake and I'm not sure how I missed that but oh well.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    RUSTYNUTS, NUDRAT, Voss and 3 others like this.
  17. Apr 20, 2021 at 12:21 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    Geeze. That shop is high. Drop the tank with a jack and replace that pump yourself. It will be a breeze compared to what you've done already. PHM posted some good pictures recently showing what has to be disconnected before you lower the tank.

Here are the pictures he posted.
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/wha...t-gen-tundra-today.2558/page-884#post-2146616

Just to be clear, I have no idea if that's really your issue but I know I wouldn't pay them $1,700 to replace the fuel pump.

RUSTYNUTS, NUDRAT, Voss and 4 others like this.
  18. Apr 20, 2021 at 12:24 PM
    Festerw

Festerw New Member

Member:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tundra DC
    I'd invite a couple friends for pizza and have them help lift the bed off before I cut a hole.

19. Apr 20, 2021 at 12:36 PM
    rock climber

rock climber New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2001 Sequoia 4X4, 2000 AC 4X4
    I'll tow it for you for free. Last year my fuel pump went out and I was in a rush so I paid a local shop to replace it and the total with pump was $550.

jerryallday, Voss, bmf4069 and 4 others like this.
  20. Apr 20, 2021 at 12:38 PM
    theblurry1

theblurry1 ~

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    (Camper conversion underway.) Rebuilt engine w/265K miles, A.R.E. camper shell (w/cab pass-through, rooftop fan, and side windows delete), bedlinered steel ladder rack (w/wooden rooftop deck and hammock mount), all LED lights (red dash, 4" side floods, 32" rear bar), Android head unit, 1.5" lift from Bilstein 5100 struts, 32" DuraTrac tires on factory rims, 1.5" wheel spacers, Moog suspension parts, SuperSprings leaf kit, diff drop, Reese trailer brake control, GoRhino Hitch Step, debadged, F-150 rear bumper, Sequoia center console unit upgrade, partial rear bench seat delete, dashcam, aftermarket speakers, 50% sound deadening coverage, custom tools unit.
    Why not cut a hole? My bed is not meant to come off after the camper mods I've done. Originally its weight was probably 500lbs, plus 200lb ladder rack, plus 100lb shell, plus the weight of the plywood floor and furring strips I've adhered to the shell. I'd also have to remove the passthrough I built as well as find the bed bolts and cut a few holes in the vinyl floor to access those. Possible to do, probably not happening.

21. Apr 20, 2021 at 12:40 PM
    theblurry1

theblurry1 ~

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for your thoughtful offer. How about I give you the $150 that I would've paid? :D Rather that go to another Tundra member than a towing company. I'll message you for details.

Voss and Darkness like this.
  22. Apr 20, 2021 at 12:41 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    I would only cut a hole in a perfectly good bed as a last resort. Dropping the tank with a floor jack shouldn't be that difficult. Plus, how would you know where to cut?

Voss and Darkness like this.
  23. Apr 20, 2021 at 12:44 PM
    theblurry1

theblurry1 ~

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    I'm with you on this. And PHM's post only shows how to remove the pump connector. Real useful though!

The bed is not all that perfect, it has some low spots from the previous owner dumping heavy stuff as well as some other little holes I plugged up. I see the access door as a useful mod in this situation unless it's right in the middle of the bed. I could measure and/or drill a small pilot hole to see where it ends up.

Darkness likes this.
  24. Apr 20, 2021 at 1:09 PM
    rock climber

rock climber New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2001 Sequoia 4X4, 2000 AC 4X4
    On the plus side it means you did the engine rebuild correctly!

RUSTYNUTS, NUDRAT, Voss and 3 others like this.
  25. Apr 20, 2021 at 1:16 PM
    bmf4069

bmf4069 Yup, that's car parts in a dishwasher

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    02 AC sr5 4wd v8
    I don't see it as being bad gas. The gas in my truck is at least 9 months old. I've also had cars sit for a year and start up just fine. I also don't see how it could be the pump if it worked before. Did the wiring from the resistor thing get put back on?

NUDRAT and Darkness like this.
  26. Apr 20, 2021 at 2:27 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    You’ll still need to drop the tank the way the Pump is positioned just enough under the cab. I’ve read a few guys remove the bed only still to have to drop the tank. Its easy work to drop the tank. I’ve disconnected everything (hoses, wires, etc.) in a dry run. Even loosened the 2 bolts in prep and oiled/feather dust them. Hard part was the clip disconnect which I did with it tight up on the truck. Used a folded up blanket to raise my position and a padded stool for my headrest as it was an 1.5 hour ordeal figuring out the Arm Reach No Look Mojo. Now I could do it in 15 minutes as I’ve got the proper tool technique set up

My plan is put a jack under tank with some ratchet straps. Loosen tank bolts slowly (they are long!) and leverage/balance the tank with the ratchet straps on the Jack Fulcrum in a slow decent. My Recalled Gas Tank Straps (2011) are brand new looking so I don’t foresee any gnar gnar.

Denso Fuel Pump was $124 on a site. Need new gasket ($8) and Fuel Pump Bushing/Pad ($2). See build page for pics of Part #’s.

bmf4069, FirstGenVol, Voss and 2 others like this.
  27. Apr 20, 2021 at 2:34 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    See how the Pump is under the cab? No way to pull the Long Pump Assy Out after unbolting the Pump Cover.
    upload_2021-4-20_17-34-1.jpg

NUDRAT, hammeron, oscardog86 and 6 others like this.
  28. Apr 20, 2021 at 2:36 PM
    Festerw

Festerw New Member

Member:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tundra DC
    I forgot you had all that honestly. Since your pump is still running albeit poorly according to the shop. Unhook the fuel line at the filter, jump the pump at the relay, and drain it down.

You may actually just want to try jumping the resistor under the hood and see if the truck runs that way.

Glock 40, FirstGenVol, Voss and 3 others like this.
  29. Apr 20, 2021 at 4:59 PM
    empty_lord

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    If you cut a hole... do it with the bed off... it’s stupid easy to light yourself up because you nicked the wrong thing under the bed..

NUDRAT, CodyP, KarmaKannon and 3 others like this.
  30. Apr 20, 2021 at 6:20 PM
    CodyP

CodyP Such a n00b

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    CDA, ID
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra 4x4 DC
    ohhh.....good point residentmechanic

Products Discussed in

To Top