1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What have you done to your 1st gen Tundra today?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by T-Rex266, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Aug 6, 2020 at 7:31 PM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    I'm considering the same. I think the supers engage a bit too early, let me know how the enduros go and post some comparison pics if you can.

Glad to see you enjoying your truck.

Rheywood456[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Aug 6, 2020 at 9:35 PM
    Dog

Dog sit!

Member:
    Rocky Mountain high...
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 AC 4x4 TRD-OR

Love the San Juans. How did you like coming down Black Bear?:eek: (I see Bridal Veil Falls in the background outside Telluride...)

3. Aug 6, 2020 at 9:41 PM
    theblurry1

theblurry1 ~

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    2001 Thunder Grey Tundra AC Limited 4x4 V8
    (Camper conversion underway.) Rebuilt engine w/265K miles, A.R.E. camper shell (w/cab pass-through, rooftop fan, and side windows delete), bedlinered steel ladder rack (w/wooden rooftop deck and hammock mount), all LED lights (red dash, 4" side floods, 32" rear bar), Android head unit, 1.5" lift from Bilstein 5100 struts, 32" DuraTrac tires on factory rims, 1.5" wheel spacers, Moog suspension parts, SuperSprings leaf kit, diff drop, Reese trailer brake control, GoRhino Hitch Step, debadged, F-150 rear bumper, Sequoia center console unit upgrade, partial rear bench seat delete, dashcam, aftermarket speakers, 50% sound deadening coverage, custom tools unit.

Yes, I do have hammock mount (and deck) on my truck.

I found the stand on Facebook Marketplace for FREE. Since weight in the hammock flexed the base, I beefed up the deck where the mount attaches, and bolted in high-grade fasteners with thread locker to make sure everything’s safe (don’t worry, I [probably] won’t fall).

I knew that crossbar would take up some room if permanent, though, so I made it removable. Lastly, end caps to clean up the look. Basically, setup is easy and tool-less! When not in use, the pieces conveniently store up here thanks to rubber clamps, and it’s all fairly low-profile while stowed.

I’ll paint everything someday, but for know it works and is cozy. I highly enjoy doing this stuff, especially when it turns out exactly how I pictured! Thanks for reading.

If y'all are fascinated with the camper progress, I share more on my Insta, @d.p.pictures.

–Shot with DJI Mavic 2 Pro and Laowa 15mm ƒ/2 lens on Sony α7s, in case any other photographers are out there.

4. Aug 6, 2020 at 10:37 PM
    bmf4069

bmf4069 Yup, that's car parts in a dishwasher

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    02 AC sr5 4wd v8
    Man, that's awesome. I really wish you and Geoff would quit wasting time on FB and more time with the true enthusiast.

5. Aug 7, 2020 at 4:21 AM
    robabeatle

robabeatle New Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra 4x4 LTD AC
    Bilstein 6112 & 5160, Katskinz, audio upgrades
    So cool.

theblurry1[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Aug 7, 2020 at 5:26 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    I drove my truck with its current suspension set up both with and without the superbumps and I couldn't tell a difference. What do you think would make the Durobumps better? Swalters swore she could tell a difference with the Duro's. Maybe the fact that they are made for our trucks and don't constantly touch/rub the LCA?

7. Aug 7, 2020 at 6:22 AM
    Darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    Thats what I'm thinking, I unfortunately haven't been off the pavement enough since installing them to know for sure. I've only passed through a few fire roads for fun and felt like compression was stiffer but could just be my tires too.

Rheywood456 likes this.
  8. Aug 7, 2020 at 6:31 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Do you see an Umbrella up there in the future? Cool set up. I love the originality.

theblurry1[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Aug 7, 2020 at 7:19 AM
    theblurry1

theblurry1 ~

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    2001 Thunder Grey Tundra AC Limited 4x4 V8
    (Camper conversion underway.) Rebuilt engine w/265K miles, A.R.E. camper shell (w/cab pass-through, rooftop fan, and side windows delete), bedlinered steel ladder rack (w/wooden rooftop deck and hammock mount), all LED lights (red dash, 4" side floods, 32" rear bar), Android head unit, 1.5" lift from Bilstein 5100 struts, 32" DuraTrac tires on factory rims, 1.5" wheel spacers, Moog suspension parts, SuperSprings leaf kit, diff drop, Reese trailer brake control, GoRhino Hitch Step, debadged, F-150 rear bumper, Sequoia center console unit upgrade, partial rear bench seat delete, dashcam, aftermarket speakers, 50% sound deadening coverage, custom tools unit.
    Well there's already so much other stuff up there, might as well. The shade would be nice. Thanks for the kind words.

10. Aug 7, 2020 at 8:17 AM
    Pucks18

Pucks18 Fleabit peanut monkey

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tundra 4x4 Limited trd
    Thanks for all that info, I'm still a little too scared to engage 4wd while driving though, im scared ill just blow something up

11. Aug 7, 2020 at 11:34 AM
    shifty`

shifty` Our private little trip to hell

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    No need to be scared to engage with 4HI while driving. Really, no reason to get weird about switching 4WD modes. There's a lot of safety and fail-safe mechanisms in place while turning it on and off to prevent things from going sideways. If you're not stuck and you're not offroading, you probably shouldn't be in 4LO. And with 4HI, you just don't want to use it on non-slippery surfaces, especially while turning.

The big, huge, gigantic no-no is DO NOT make turns on non-slippery surfaces while 4WD is engaged in any mode.

If you bought a 4WD equipped truck, you need to understand the responsibility that goes with it - it's not like buying a V8 versus a V6 because the "power will just be there when I need it". Toyota recommends you run at least 120mi/year on the truck with 4HI or 4LO engaged so things stay properly lubed. What's the point of having a 4WD truck if the 4WD is frozen up because you didn't use it and the fluids are sludge?

I usually wait until I'm driving in the rain on the interstate to engage 4HI, interstates are relatively straight so when they're wet, it's easy to get in 10+ miles of 4WD engagement. I flip it off while I'm decelerating at the off-ramp so nothing binds up when I turn at the end of the off-ramp.

12. Aug 7, 2020 at 12:09 PM
    rock climber

rock climber New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2001 Sequoia 4X4, 2000 AC 4X4
    Awesome pics, thanks for sharing!

Do you have a build page with what you've done to the truck?

13. Aug 7, 2020 at 12:27 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD

:bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::bananadance: THAT'S BANANAS :bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::bananadance:

But in all seriousness, hopefully they survive transplant shock at this time of year. It's the last thing anyone wants to do, but you may want to remove any existing fruit on the trees so the tree can focus its energy on building new roots versus trying to build fruit with much less operable hydralics (roots) underground to nourish the top of the plant.

(Fruit trees are one of my other life-long habits, er, hobbies)

14. Aug 7, 2020 at 1:05 PM
    Darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    Yup, I'm gonna keep a close eye on it for the first two weeks and if it doesn't look good I'll have to chop it. The old guy we got it from said water it every other day and see how it reacts, once it establishes I can water it less but if it doesn't establish, may have to chop it.

It has at least 4 pups growing at the bottom. Absolute worst case if the trees don't survive the pups will live.

I might have to hit you up for advice later, we have a few new fruit trees and my wife and I have black thumbs.

oscardog86 and bmf4069 like this.
  15. Aug 7, 2020 at 1:59 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Advice on water every other day is spot-on. Bananas can tend to be a little weedy too, so it may recover fine. You've already got it in the ground, so adding something like mycorrhiza to the hole before putting it into the ground won't necessarily help.

I can talk at length about stone fruits, figs, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and their relatives, pears, and a little on grapes. Citrus and tropical fruits not so much. I haven't touched much there other than Loquat since I left Florida 20yrs ago. As much as I've tried, it's virtually impossible to grow those things this far north except maybe satsuma or brutally bitter stuff without lugging pots in and out of the house before and after winter. The one time you're not expecting it, freeze, POOF, start all over again.

PS, I used to live in Poway as a teen-ish-ager while dad was stationed at Miramar. I sure as hell miss the weather in So Cal.

16. Aug 7, 2020 at 4:29 PM
    imDementeD

imDementeD New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tundra Limited 4x4 Trd Supercharger
    Can anyone help me understand what is circled in red below? The resonator is the oval shape at the bottom, Magnaflow muffler at the top but not sure what this other piece is or where it was from?

I cut it off today and my thoughts are run it in line with my BAMuffler to try and quiet the truck down. Or should I use the stock resonator? This piece more closely matches the BAMuffler shape so thought it would "look" more appropriate but I can't figure out where it came from...it's not stock from any Tundra exhausts I've seen???

03 Tundra 4x4

upload_2020-8-7_19-27-49.jpg

17. Aug 7, 2020 at 4:39 PM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    Resonator

18. Aug 7, 2020 at 4:41 PM
    imDementeD

imDementeD New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    stock one though? Can you link it because I couldn't find it?

And just to clarify, you're saying the 03 came with 2 resonators?

19. Aug 7, 2020 at 4:41 PM
    MEWaters

MEWaters New Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    07 2UZFE TRD OR; previous 02 AC 323k
    Eibach pro suspension Nitro 4.88 with Auburn Pro LSD and PTFE diff bushings Level 8 MK6 18x9 SAIS bypass JBA cat back Scangauge 2 Diode dynamic fogs. LED heads Husky liners
    you ever stumble across John Lord's Secret Garden on YT?

shifty`[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Aug 7, 2020 at 4:51 PM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    Well judging by the pipe that muffler and tailpipe wasn’t stock. Or it was the TRD unit. The standard exhaust only has the resonator on the y pipe.

But it is for sure an resonator. Just not factory. Maybe dealer add on or afternarket

imDementeD[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Aug 7, 2020 at 4:53 PM
    imDementeD

imDementeD New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    That's what I was thinking in a sense. That part + the muffler was added but just wanted to see if anyone knew something I didn't. Appreciate the feedback!

22. Aug 7, 2020 at 5:53 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Oh this guy is fun. Nope, hadn't heard. About to go down the rabbit hole in an hour or so.

FrenchToasty likes this.
  23. Aug 7, 2020 at 5:59 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Alright. I found it. After about 4 hours of searching all over the internet, eBay and godforsaken everywhere else, I found it.

I printed a PDF of this post, which shows the entire process on a vehicle the same interior color as mine. Core thread gives part numbers required for the bridge cable and the right-hand controls. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/bluetooth-steering-wheel-controls.51212/#post-982081

I'm going to buy the parts in the next week or so I guess. If it's all correct, I'll do a similar write-up over here.

PS: Dark grey part numbers in case anyone else has left-hand stereo controls in dark grey also and want the dark grey right-hand stereo controls:

84244-35030-B0 - Right-hand switch ('steering pad')
    84204-58010 - Crossover cable ('cable sub-assembly')

Based on that thread, it looks like the BT right-hand controls are intentionally white-ish yellow backlight? As if maybe even a green interior car would have them that color. Dunno!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    FrenchToasty likes this.
  24. Aug 8, 2020 at 11:14 AM
    NUDRAT

NUDRAT 6 lug life

Member:
    SW CT
    Vehicle:
    off-brand 1st Gen
    Did they give you the story behind the repaint? (fender & door & bumper repainted - yes?)

25. Aug 8, 2020 at 11:32 AM
    robabeatle

robabeatle New Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra 4x4 LTD AC
    anyone know how to get this brass looking ball back into the other side, which is a plastic socket. This is the headlights. I thought it could just be pushed in but I am pushing hard and no bueno.

26. Aug 8, 2020 at 11:47 AM
    robabeatle

robabeatle New Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra 4x4 LTD AC
    Got it. removed the plastic socket, insert ball, put back into housing.

27. Aug 8, 2020 at 12:40 PM
    artsr2002

artsr2002 2005 Tundra DC SR5

Member:
    'Yonder
    Vehicle:
    Red-Maroon-Something 05 DC 4.7 4x2
    My brother and I just finished up replacing my center carrier bearing. It took longer than expected because we went ahead and replace the 3 universal joints with replacement Spicer joints. Also greased the slip yoke. The grease in there had dried up a while ago. No wonder it would release when the ass end would drop back down after a hard stop and it felt like someone rear ended me. Lol. Greased it up real good and when I stop now no more clunk. Thanks for the info on the carrier bearing.

Time to do something about the front rotors. I'm getting vibration on braking. I'll see if the local shop can turn them for me if not I'll get replacement rotors.

28. Aug 8, 2020 at 2:39 PM
    Rheywood456

Rheywood456 Sup

Member:
    First Name:
    Riley
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    First Gen Tundra
    Haha. I need to stop wasting my time period! :anonymous:

Darkness and bmf4069[QUOTED] like this.
  29. Aug 8, 2020 at 2:47 PM
    Rheywood456

Rheywood456 Sup

Member:
    First Name:
    Riley
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    First Gen Tundra
    Exactly. They’re shorter. I’ll take a side by side comparison when I install mine. They will allow the suspension to do its thing without being interrupted.

Bump stops really prove their worth when you’re haulin and hit the big bumps at speed. It eliminates (Well doesn’t eliminate, but drastically helps) that harsh Hit to the frame that makes your teeth rattle. Lol

30. Aug 8, 2020 at 2:48 PM
    Rheywood456

Rheywood456 Sup

Member:
    First Name:
    Riley
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    First Gen Tundra
    Sure do. It’s in the build folder for us first gens.

Products Discussed in

To Top