1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What have you done to your 1st gen Tundra today?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by T-Rex266, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Jul 8, 2020 at 2:27 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    I’ve read this edited post and now ask if you read the link I posted for you?

2. Jul 8, 2020 at 3:26 PM
    rock climber

rock climber New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2001 Sequoia 4X4, 2000 AC 4X4
    I'me getting an electric "whine" from my throttle body motor (the drive by wire part) Does anybody else's do that? It's pretty loud so I'm worried it might be going out on me and I'd rather replace it now than when the truck dies on the side of the road.

3. Jul 8, 2020 at 4:35 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    This is the stuff I use on all rubber, vinyl, and plastics on the truck. Leaves a nice matte/light shine, but not greasy or oily looking. Makes tires look new. Repeals dust on interiors and makes clean up easy. First coat might soak in if you’ve neglected things. I spray a microfiber and work it in. A little goes a long way. Restores stuff, but not sold as a Restoration product.

upload_2020-7-8_19-33-52.jpg

4. Jul 8, 2020 at 4:39 PM
    FrenchToasty

FrenchToasty The Desert rat, 6 lug enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Mo
    The SoAz
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC 4.88s Elocker and some other trippy stuff
    None
    Are you sorta using it as a cleaner as well? Or do you wipe first with a clean rag, then spray and wipe/work in?

5. Jul 8, 2020 at 4:54 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    I use it as a light cleaner. If there is a greasy spot I’ll use a detergent soap.

If its dusty/etc, then I just spray the microfiber with a light mist and wipe. It picks up the dirt and dust and leaves a nice finish.

If your stuff is initially dry and thirsty, then 2-3 coats will be needed. After that with regular maintenance every 4-6 weeks, then it just requires a single pass.

6. Jul 8, 2020 at 4:56 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    Here is the Denso HD Starter (2.0 kw)

upload_2020-7-8_19-56-36.jpg

chrisb, oscardog86 and TX-TRD1stGEN like this.
  7. Jul 8, 2020 at 4:59 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    The lighter duty 1.4kw is more expensive. Both work on our engines. Swappable.

upload_2020-7-8_19-59-33.jpg

oscardog86 and Filthyphil like this.
  8. Jul 8, 2020 at 5:04 PM
    shifty`

shifty` Is the Gila Copter a love machine?

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    The stuff is exceptionally good at protecting plastics that sit in the sun from fading, especially interior plastics. Wish it existed 20 years ago.

9. Jul 8, 2020 at 5:21 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    The Old School Armor All from 80-90’s had a similar formula with UV Protection back in the day. It had more shine, but was an actual protectant. They went cheap in early 2000’s and changed. I happened to have found a full Armor All bottle at a garage sale recently dated from 1997. :D

I break it out on special occasions. :yes:

I think the AeroSpace 303 has been out for a while, but only recently discovered it. A new company bought them out so hoping nothing funny happens. That bottle was $12 on Big Gurrll.

10. Jul 8, 2020 at 5:55 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    Do you have a close up picture of the Knock Sensor. I am looking for some identifying markings to cross reference against. Also, do you have a part number for the wire harness associated with Knock Sensor?

11. Jul 8, 2020 at 6:59 PM
    jImmegart

jImmegart Second Youngest tundra owner in the west!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonah
    California
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tundra TRD Sport
    FN Counter steer type X w/ 285/70r17 Geolanders JBA y-pipe and pro street 6000 muffler 2.5 king coilovers w/ total chaos uca and custom 2.0 king rears Skidrow front plate TRD Sport package W/ Factory rear swaybar and LSD
    Im not familiar with wheel spacers, do you have to cut the studs? And is it reversible?

12. Jul 8, 2020 at 7:02 PM
    FrenchToasty

FrenchToasty The Desert rat, 6 lug enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Mo
    The SoAz
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC 4.88s Elocker and some other trippy stuff
    None
    Your studs are recessed into the spacers, the spacers then have their own studs that your wheel mounts to. Some think they are very sketchy, especially if not installed correctly. Best thing to do is buy wheels with the proper offset instead of spacers, but many people run them no issues

13. Jul 9, 2020 at 2:33 AM
    Festerw

Festerw New Member

Member:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tundra DC
    Those are technically wheel adapters. Spacers got a well deserved bad wrap because they're nothing more than one large spacer that sandwiches between the hub and wheel using existing studs and lug nuts. Most aren't much larger than a half inch.

Wheel adapters come in 2 types, ones like above that merely act as a spacer or ones that change the bolt pattern and as a spacer.

14. Jul 9, 2020 at 4:03 AM
    bmf4069

bmf4069 Yup, that's car parts in a dishwasher

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    02 AC sr5 4wd v8
    I don't. Plus the harness they sold me was for an 05-06, so I had to cut and splice since ours don't plug in. Well, not that I could see, unless it's deep behind the starter in the wire loom itself.

Check in here and you can see the end of the one I got. That's the end I had to cut off cause I couldn't find the other end. Also, this was my first post on here.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/is-it-worth-it-long-read.30954/

15. Jul 9, 2020 at 8:40 AM
    theblurry1

theblurry1 ~

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    2001 Thunder Grey Tundra AC Limited 4x4 V8
    (Camper conversion underway.) Rebuilt engine w/265K miles, A.R.E. camper shell (w/cab pass-through, rooftop fan, and side windows delete), bedlinered steel ladder rack (w/wooden rooftop deck and hammock mount), all LED lights (red dash, 4" side floods, 32" rear bar), Android head unit, 1.5" lift from Bilstein 5100 struts, 32" DuraTrac tires on factory rims, 1.5" wheel spacers, Moog suspension parts, SuperSprings leaf kit, diff drop, Reese trailer brake control, GoRhino Hitch Step, debadged, F-150 rear bumper, Sequoia center console unit upgrade, partial rear bench seat delete, dashcam, aftermarket speakers, 50% sound deadening coverage, custom tools unit.
    I love the stance my spacers provide. No cutting involved as others said, and I used blue Loctite and torqued everything to spec, so I know it's installed correctly and never coming off. "Hubcentric" spacers come with a lip that the center of your hub goes over to ensure it's fully centered. (Also even if you had to cut your studs you could always press new ones in.)

Everything is made up of parts and pieces, almost all things are reversible, so don't be afraid to get bold in your mods.

oscardog86 and jImmegart[QUOTED] like this.
  16. Jul 9, 2020 at 8:47 AM
    Bulldog_tundra

Bulldog_tundra New Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab
    Bilstein 5100 (Top Notch Front) 1” Rear Block Flowmaster 40 w/ 3” Tip Bumperplugs Front Plate Delete
    haha it was there, no problem.

I always wait for 4 Wheel Parts to run their “no sales tax” and $150 off BFG sales, they run them periodically. Then I take it to Discount Tire and have them match it and use my credit card with them to get an additional 5-10% off.

I think I was out the door, warranty certificates, mount, balance, Etc. for $680 on all 4 of mine if I remember correctly.

It took a few months of waiting, but it paid off. In the meantime I pieced together my lift and pulled the trigger on everything at once.

Side note for my fellow Dave Ramsey credit card haters: I paid off my discount tire card at the end of the month, only used it for the discount. Don’t judge me.

17. Jul 9, 2020 at 8:50 AM
    theblurry1

theblurry1 ~

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    (Camper conversion underway.) Rebuilt engine w/265K miles, A.R.E. camper shell (w/cab pass-through, rooftop fan, and side windows delete), bedlinered steel ladder rack (w/wooden rooftop deck and hammock mount), all LED lights (red dash, 4" side floods, 32" rear bar), Android head unit, 1.5" lift from Bilstein 5100 struts, 32" DuraTrac tires on factory rims, 1.5" wheel spacers, Moog suspension parts, SuperSprings leaf kit, diff drop, Reese trailer brake control, GoRhino Hitch Step, debadged, F-150 rear bumper, Sequoia center console unit upgrade, partial rear bench seat delete, dashcam, aftermarket speakers, 50% sound deadening coverage, custom tools unit.
    How come mine is in a white bottle? I wonder if they updated the product?

18. Jul 9, 2020 at 9:00 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Discount is usually my go-to, but 4WP has a few local (to me) brick-and-mortar shops also. I'll signup for alerts on their stuff and keep eyes peeled.

And no judgment from me on the credit card thing - free money is free money, as long as you don't have so many accounts you hurt your credit score. I dropped all the other cards for AmEx over a decade ago after clearing up the little debt I'd accumulated. No reasonable choice w/AmEx but to pay it all off at EOM which is exactly how I like it, forced responsible budgeting. Sometimes my card run deals for % off here or there and double/triple points, I just bill everything I can against the card and roll the points into travel stuff. Points paid outright for 5 weeks of travel in 3 countries over the past decade!

19. Jul 9, 2020 at 9:25 AM
    bmf4069

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    02 AC sr5 4wd v8
    Not bad! I think I paid like $900 or so for my cooper discoverys so you came out well ahead. And no sweat on the ramsey issue. I use mine from time to time, even through they're all paid off.

20. Jul 9, 2020 at 9:35 AM
    bmf4069

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    02 AC sr5 4wd v8
    Mine is white too. Bought it maybe 2 months ago.

theblurry1[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Jul 9, 2020 at 10:01 AM
    Bulldog_tundra

Bulldog_tundra New Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab
    Bilstein 5100 (Top Notch Front) 1” Rear Block Flowmaster 40 w/ 3” Tip Bumperplugs Front Plate Delete
    On the exact same page. Aside from school loans, it’s all cash and Amex. We’ve never paid for a vacation bc of Amex points. We pay all our bills and expenses on it, then pay off at the end of the month and rack up points and rewards. Not to mention, the ol’ credit score has benefited greatly from this process over the years.

This is partly why I have my First Gen, had a car payment for a little while on my Third Gen and hated it.

22. Jul 9, 2020 at 10:01 AM
    Festerw

Festerw New Member

Member:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tundra DC
    Blue is automotive, white is either aerospace or marine the labels are slightly different. From their website:
    WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE 303 AEROSPACE PROTECTANT, 303 AUTOMOTIVE PROTECTANT AND 303 MARINE & RECREATIONAL PROTECTANT?
    The label (marine, automotive, patio, etc.) varies depending on which market you find it in. The protectant formula is the same featuring the product benefits and mode of application. So whichever item (label) you get will be a great choice!

23. Jul 9, 2020 at 10:18 AM
    theblurry1

theblurry1 ~

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    So it's the same formula yet the blue automotive bottle is nearly half the price on Amazon. We've been fooled!

24. Jul 9, 2020 at 10:46 AM
    MNtundra

MNtundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Minnesnowta
    Vehicle:
    01' Tundra AC 4x4, 04' CRV 4WD
    Bilstein 5100's, 4runner Wheels 31" BFG, Rear Seat Delete
    Cleaning lenses on license plate lights (recommendations on how best to clean?) & Upgrading bulbs to LED (brand recommendations)?

25. Jul 9, 2020 at 10:53 AM
    MNtundra

MNtundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Minnesnowta
    Vehicle:
    01' Tundra AC 4x4, 04' CRV 4WD
    Bilstein 5100's, 4runner Wheels 31" BFG, Rear Seat Delete
    Do you spray your dash with it?

26. Jul 9, 2020 at 11:10 AM
    jImmegart

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonah
    California
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tundra TRD Sport
    FN Counter steer type X w/ 285/70r17 Geolanders JBA y-pipe and pro street 6000 muffler 2.5 king coilovers w/ total chaos uca and custom 2.0 king rears Skidrow front plate TRD Sport package W/ Factory rear swaybar and LSD
    I bought some leds off Amazon, And to clean them you should be able to pop them out of the plastic housing. I just cleaned this in the sink with soap and water. I wouldnt use anything too abrasive as it is 15+ year old plastic

27. Jul 9, 2020 at 11:12 AM
    jImmegart

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonah
    California
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tundra TRD Sport
    I have some 303 but I have trouble applying it to the bf ko2 because of the side nobs. Any recommendations on applying to tires?

28. Jul 9, 2020 at 11:12 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    I use it on anything rubber or plastic that sits in the sun, not just on my truck's dash, seals, windshield wiper blades and tires. Rubber hoses on my grill. Water hoses outside the house. I've also found it somehow is able to "restore" - and I'm using quotes here because I don't understand how it's possible - gummy rubber. It worked wonders on the couple pairs of rubber vintage bicycle brake hoods and even rubberized palm rests on my dad's laptop when it got to feeling a little tacky or sticky.

Worth mentioning: It will NOT return faded plastics to their original color. What's done is done. Black Magic doesn't even seem to work worth a damn for that.

29. Jul 9, 2020 at 11:28 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Had a plastic tab snap off on one of mine. I ended up replacing both, but I must've gotten in on a good deal last year because I only paid $42 for the entire light assembly and one replacement square nut. I have one spare now, minus its plastic tab.

81690-0C010 (left)
    81270-0C010 (right)
    90075-10004 (square orange poly nut)

Toyota's parts catalog shows those are valid from 1999-2006. But I'm not sure I'd spend $80+ at today's prices to replace both :p

30. Jul 9, 2020 at 11:35 AM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    260hp? :eek2: which car has that? I thought those motors only hit 180hp

Products Discussed in