1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What have you done to your 1st gen Tundra today?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by T-Rex266, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Feb 11, 2020 at 7:34 AM
    Recycled

Recycled New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Reedley, California
    Vehicle:
    2002 diamond in the rough.
    Oh my gosh. When my wife followed me home after I purchased the taco. She said that I didn't have any brake lights.
    Yesterday I removed the taillights and found the bulbs removed from the plug. The taillights have broken lenses. I wonder if someone tried to steal the bulb reaching through the broken lenses.
    The tailgate is missing the actuator rods and the handle. They probably didn't have a 10mm wrench for a 1.50 bulb.

jImmegart likes this.
  2. Feb 11, 2020 at 7:58 AM
    Omohundro

Omohundro 2018 Not a Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jody
    McMinnville TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum
    Bak Revolver, BedRug, Undercover Swingcase, PopLock, Bilstein 5160(rear), Firestone RideRite, TRD rear sway bar, Coachbuilder +2 rear shackles, Andersen 5” aluminum adjustable hitch, TRD dual exhaust, VLEDS interior leds including the footwell kit, TundraTex FRAC mod, VLEDS LPR backup tag mount led, Husky X-Act mats, Color matched cup holder bezel (silver), Ceramic 20% tint all around, 50% Ceramic windshield, Color Matched door handles & mirror caps, The “Stubby” antenna, AMP Research steps, VLEDS 6”step lights, ToyTec/5100 Bilstein coil overs, 700lbs red ToyTec springs (2.75” lift), 20x9 +18 Method 306 custom painted and custom fit center caps, Gorilla spline lugs, Bridgestone Revo 3s 285/60R20, TRD skid plate, RaptorLiner “Red” tow hooks, 19 Pro black LED headlights, VLEDS Triton V6 turns, Rigid SAE D series fog lamps, 19 TRD hood scoop, 2019 TRD Pro grille, Coachbuilder bumper shims, X-Pel protect under mud guards, Opti Coat Ceramic, Opti Coat Sealed. And some snakes and sparklers, because they are my favorite!
    Just something I wanted to share. I changed out the chrome on the door moldings for black.
    C1FA9D72-4BEF-4177-A039-D2B75655D4B2.jpg 1B15BF18-F05F-4F9F-9162-B8767E30862C.jpg
    The new trim matches the fender flare trim much better. Here is what I bought, found it on eBay.
    44E026AF-7F6A-41FE-9F52-E55DAE969D37.jpg 74615666-6D37-4273-A44F-0117A13C33C6.jpg
    20’ and had a few feet left.
    Here is the link for what I bought
    https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/254448451110
    Looks like the sale ended but if you want it reach out the them and see if they have more.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Volt92, NUDRAT, KarmaKannon and 9 others like this.
  3. Feb 11, 2020 at 8:53 AM
    Festerw

Festerw New Member

Member:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tundra DC
    Advance has the offset socket to borrow, I used that and a 18" breaker bar. I've never had to spray lube on the ones I've changed but I've always done it with the engine warm.

kodyquist21[QUOTED] and BubbaW like this.
  4. Feb 11, 2020 at 9:23 AM
    CodyP

CodyP Such a n00b

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    CDA, ID
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra 4x4 DC
    Great idea. Your eBay link doesn’t work but I’m assuming it’s this one?
    https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/273770280534

Omohundro[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Feb 11, 2020 at 10:26 AM
    theblurry1

theblurry1 ~

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    2001 Thunder Grey Tundra AC Limited 4x4 V8
    (Camper conversion underway.) Rebuilt engine w/265K miles, A.R.E. camper shell (w/cab pass-through, rooftop fan, and side windows delete), bedlinered steel ladder rack (w/wooden rooftop deck and hammock mount), all LED lights (red dash, 4" side floods, 32" rear bar), Android head unit, 1.5" lift from Bilstein 5100 struts, 32" DuraTrac tires on factory rims, 1.5" wheel spacers, Moog suspension parts, SuperSprings leaf kit, diff drop, Reese trailer brake control, GoRhino Hitch Step, debadged, F-150 rear bumper, Sequoia center console unit upgrade, partial rear bench seat delete, dashcam, aftermarket speakers, 50% sound deadening coverage, custom tools unit.
    I've removed my back window to install a pass-through boot with my camper shell. What do you need to know?
    It was annoying. This video helped a lot. It's held on by a bolt on each of the four corners (size 10 I believe), lots of glue, and plenty of grime from almost two decades. You'll want a length of tough string, like paracord, an unprecedented amount of PB Blaster or similar product, elbow grease, and some obscenities to help with removal---a process that mixes "flossing" between the glass/weather seal/cab surface and prying the old part off. It's very tough and I was able to sell mine for $30 on Facebook after the wrestling, so don't be afraid to get rough with your broken one. Let me know if you run into any road blocks. Here's a hopefully-helpful pic of the removed window:

Volt92, hammeron, kodyquist21 and 3 others like this.
  6. Feb 11, 2020 at 11:07 AM
    because_wumbo-truck

because_wumbo-truck TTC#036 & 1st Degenerate

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 AC Tundra Limited 4x4 v8
    flowmaster 40, DDI injectors, sliders, bumper
    Hmmm this trim looks off and your profile claims 2018.... I believe you're in the wrong thread bud.

7. Feb 11, 2020 at 11:09 AM
    because_wumbo-truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Wait so now your cab opens into your shell like an SUV? That's cool. Pix?

theblurry1[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Feb 11, 2020 at 11:40 AM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    Looks like a first gen double cab to me?

9. Feb 11, 2020 at 11:42 AM
    because_wumbo-truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Ok I wasn't sure if that was the case or it was an 18. I didn't realize the DC had different trim than the RC and AC

10. Feb 11, 2020 at 11:50 AM
    BubbaW

BubbaW Been Real

Member:
    First Name:
    Bubba
    Where Eagles Nest
    Vehicle:
    04 DC LTD 4X4 4.7 V8
    T150 Lover
    take backs are a bitch :)

11. Feb 11, 2020 at 11:55 AM
    CodyP

CodyP Such a n00b

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    CDA, ID
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra 4x4 DC
    finally tackled some interior LEDs. I replaced the HVAC controls a while back but two of them would flicker and sometimes one wouldn't light up at all. After a pound near the 4way flasher switch it would pop back on. I took them out of the oem twist locks and bent the contact tabs up a bit...hope that's fixed now. Also, replace the driver side footwell 74 LED bulb. First one made contact with the metal surround when trying to put it back in and shorted out. Threaded it very carefully with the 2nd LED and didn't touch anything. Felt like I was playing Operation! haha.
    Lastly, I noticed my ignition ring light wasn't working. Pried off the black rubber trim ring and then all of a sudden the light started working again....just left it alone until it dies again I guess.

12. Feb 11, 2020 at 12:07 PM
    CodyP

CodyP Such a n00b

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    CDA, ID
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra 4x4 DC
    can any of you AC guys use headlight dust covers? I ordered them by mistake for my DC and don't need them.

13. Feb 11, 2020 at 12:08 PM
    Omohundro

Omohundro 2018 Not a Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jody
    McMinnville TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum
    Bak Revolver, BedRug, Undercover Swingcase, PopLock, Bilstein 5160(rear), Firestone RideRite, TRD rear sway bar, Coachbuilder +2 rear shackles, Andersen 5” aluminum adjustable hitch, TRD dual exhaust, VLEDS interior leds including the footwell kit, TundraTex FRAC mod, VLEDS LPR backup tag mount led, Husky X-Act mats, Color matched cup holder bezel (silver), Ceramic 20% tint all around, 50% Ceramic windshield, Color Matched door handles & mirror caps, The “Stubby” antenna, AMP Research steps, VLEDS 6”step lights, ToyTec/5100 Bilstein coil overs, 700lbs red ToyTec springs (2.75” lift), 20x9 +18 Method 306 custom painted and custom fit center caps, Gorilla spline lugs, Bridgestone Revo 3s 285/60R20, TRD skid plate, RaptorLiner “Red” tow hooks, 19 Pro black LED headlights, VLEDS Triton V6 turns, Rigid SAE D series fog lamps, 19 TRD hood scoop, 2019 TRD Pro grille, Coachbuilder bumper shims, X-Pel protect under mud guards, Opti Coat Ceramic, Opti Coat Sealed. And some snakes and sparklers, because they are my favorite!
  14. Feb 11, 2020 at 12:11 PM
    Omohundro

Omohundro 2018 Not a Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jody
    McMinnville TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum
    Nope, I’m in the right place. I have an 18 and a 06. I’m board with the 18, so I’m building a 1 gen now.

BA4CDDEC-1540-4AC5-9DAA-3A3B97007B48.jpg

Volt92, georgiey22, Darkness and 11 others like this.
  15. Feb 11, 2020 at 12:12 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    That thing is clean!

Omohundro[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Feb 11, 2020 at 12:14 PM
    Omohundro

Omohundro 2018 Not a Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jody
    McMinnville TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum
    Should be, I’ve been working my but off on it. Thanks.

NUDRAT and CodyP like this.
  17. Feb 11, 2020 at 12:26 PM
    CodyP

CodyP Such a n00b

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    CDA, ID
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra 4x4 DC
    Just spent $126 on a friggin outside window rubber moulding! :goingcrazy: Figure it's still better than having to replace a window regulator since there is nothing keeping rain from going into the door.

18. Feb 11, 2020 at 1:09 PM
    jImmegart

jImmegart Second Youngest tundra owner in the west!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonah
    California
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tundra TRD Sport
    FN Counter steer type X w/ 285/70r17 Geolanders JBA y-pipe and pro street 6000 muffler 2.5 king coilovers w/ total chaos uca and custom 2.0 king rears Skidrow front plate TRD Sport package W/ Factory rear swaybar and LSD
    That fender flair looks like a Dc to me. I thought I saw a Dc in here with similar trim in bronze not that long ago

Edit: I should of checked to see if he responded. Dont mind me!

19. Feb 11, 2020 at 1:56 PM
    theblurry1

theblurry1 ~

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    (Camper conversion underway.) Rebuilt engine w/265K miles, A.R.E. camper shell (w/cab pass-through, rooftop fan, and side windows delete), bedlinered steel ladder rack (w/wooden rooftop deck and hammock mount), all LED lights (red dash, 4" side floods, 32" rear bar), Android head unit, 1.5" lift from Bilstein 5100 struts, 32" DuraTrac tires on factory rims, 1.5" wheel spacers, Moog suspension parts, SuperSprings leaf kit, diff drop, Reese trailer brake control, GoRhino Hitch Step, debadged, F-150 rear bumper, Sequoia center console unit upgrade, partial rear bench seat delete, dashcam, aftermarket speakers, 50% sound deadening coverage, custom tools unit.
    I hated the idea of a camper shell requiring one step outside of the truck to wiggle into the back, and as an avid urban stealth vanlifer, that inconvenience wouldn't work for me. Plus who wants to get their pajamas covered in snow? Accordion boots, seals which connect cabs to beds and flex with their movement, proved the only option. I'd never seen any done on our trucks, so I was pretty much on my own. The (almost finished) result lets me pass in and out of my camper-in-construction from the driver's seat as I like, and even haul objects longer than the bed inside if necessary. The cab and bed feel very open as one unit now. Eventually I will add an opening hatch I can fit through, to separate the two and help with road noise. In the end I hate how janky it looks but I know it will all be covered when my camper conversion is finished.

This is what it looks like currently. You can see where I cut too far and added back with a fiberglass repair kit, which worked well:

(That wooden thing is the tool shelf I'm working on. Two-thirds of my back seat is removed with only a single rear seat behind the passenger because that's all I need. I do some different mods.)
    With my ARB shell's window removed, it was time to take out the cab window:

After the window was out, I used a cardboard template from the cab window to cut the shell with a Dremel, and a vacuum, because fiberglass is cancer dust:

Outside, there is no weird gap and you really can't tell it's there. I stuck some Armaflex from Home Depot all around to add an additional layer against the elements. I'm open to more durable suggestions!

For those interested, this is the exact item I bought off Amazon.

It has metal clips inside which grab on to the lips of each end and is made of durable rubber I coated with a protectant. So far it hasn't leaked.

20. Feb 11, 2020 at 2:02 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Could you tell a difference in sound proofing with that Armaflex? Seems like a good idea.

Maybe a pool noodle would work better as its closed celled. Cheap, too.

theblurry1[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Feb 11, 2020 at 2:07 PM
    theblurry1

theblurry1 ~

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    The difference was present but negligible, despite even putting it on the bottom where the gap opens to the road. I got the idea from the Tacoma message boards wherein guys had the same noise issue. I think the most drastic soundproofing change will come from doing my whole rear shell window.

22. Feb 11, 2020 at 2:37 PM
    Jbickel

Jbickel New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Addison Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 tundra trd limited
    Toytec coilovers 3”. JBH headers, magnaflow exhaust,k&N cold intake
    Jjj

23. Feb 11, 2020 at 2:38 PM
    Jbickel

Jbickel New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Addison Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 tundra trd limited
    Toytec coilovers 3”. JBH headers, magnaflow exhaust,k&N cold intake
    How do u like those 17’ rims? I’m wanting new ones and debating between 16s and 17s.

24. Feb 11, 2020 at 2:44 PM
    mcharfauros

mcharfauros Hafa Adai

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MO
    Vehicle:
    06 AC SR5 4X4
    Dumb Truck Thangs
  25. Feb 11, 2020 at 2:52 PM
    JustGotDuals

JustGotDuals New Member

Member:
    Well, I have given that s%%thead a couple days to try and figure out the abs issue to no avail that I know of, so I decided that its best to take it to the stealership this upcoming Monday unless it magically solves itself before then. I hope its nothing to major, but if it is to do with something he couldve caused...Im going to stick it to him good. Its been 1 month!

26. Feb 11, 2020 at 3:25 PM
    KarmaKannon

KarmaKannon Master of None

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab w/long travel
    Some junk
    I like that a lot. I'd be all over something like that if I could figure out how to keep my rear window intact. I don't wanna trust the seal of my bed enough to keep fumes and hot/cold out. Not to mention I wouldn't want more space to heat/cool.

27. Feb 11, 2020 at 3:51 PM
    lsaami

lsaami Let ‘er buck

Member:
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra 4x4 "$1100 Build"
    3/2" lift, visor, 33s, eibach pro-truck, Cvj axles BFF Bumper 4.56 Tacoma Diffs
    Engaged my parking brake today.

HOLY. CRAP.

my pedal travel was cut down by 1/2, and my rear brakes are only ~3 months old.

Mind blowing.
    :boom:

because_wumbo-truck and NUDRAT like this.
  28. Feb 11, 2020 at 3:54 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    I must have missed it. What did you do to your brakes?

lsaami[QUOTED] likes this.
  29. Feb 11, 2020 at 3:56 PM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    Well. The ass of my
    Truck sits lower than the front now.
    I need to do some aal. I might do the wheelers aal. But I’m going to try and piece a budget style one up with Tacoma leafs..

30. Feb 11, 2020 at 4:05 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    Doesn't your truck have almost 300k miles? I'd buy new leaf packs. I guess you could always try the AAL since you have them but I would be surprised if they raise the rear enough.

mcharfauros likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top