1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What have you done to your 1st gen Tundra today?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by T-Rex266, Sep 7, 2015.

1. May 26, 2022 at 7:39 PM
    Fleawalker

Fleawalker New Member

Member:
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    2001 V8 4x4 Access Cab
    None (yet)
    LOL. It's like me and my boat

alb1k[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. May 26, 2022 at 7:42 PM
    shifty`

shifty` Our private little trip to hell

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    C'mon, you've seen how gullible mf's are. Just mention they're going to be banned and the market will skyrocket again. It's the same BS card that gets pulled regularly on every recreational item we use. And people literally fall for it every time. Scapegoat someone or something you don't like, and say they're going to make it go away. POOF. Sales soar, and price skyrockets with demand.
    Maybe time for me to buy a boat. But the boat thing is purely due to people having to go back to "real life", I think. Recreational stuff, including our trucks, overlanding, camping, outdoors, biking, fishing, etc. had a massive spike like no other I've seen before in 2020 and didn't start tapering off until late 2021.

I made a killing selling restored/refurb'd pedal-bikes in 2020, had lots of inventory on-hand from some deals I made back in 2017-2019, caught the wave perfectly. That's literally where half my suspension slush came from. But it's followed the same demand/sales downturn as boats and other stuff.

I'm just pissed my 401k tank 16% in the last 6 weeks. What I've got stuffed away after 20 years of dumping 10% in with 5% employer matching, it's panned out to well over a year's salary gone. But I've got time to get it back. My parents got boned HARD in '08, pretty much lost everything except Dad's USN pension and a little savings.

daveeasa[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. May 26, 2022 at 7:43 PM
    Fleawalker

Fleawalker New Member

Member:
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    2001 V8 4x4 Access Cab
    None (yet)
    ...And now my 1GT

4. May 26, 2022 at 7:44 PM
    Fleawalker

Fleawalker New Member

Member:
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    2001 V8 4x4 Access Cab
    None (yet)
  5. May 26, 2022 at 7:48 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Between the dock/slip fees (unless you own) and hurricane insurance, and potential HOA depending where you are, I don't want to see what your monthly bills look like.

There's a reason my parents fled Bradenton and headed to southern AL. Fortunately no HOA, but keeping their boat at the marina (which they used multiple times a week) and the insurance were slowly killing them, along with the BS snowbird traffic and inescapable people-congestion.

Fleawalker[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. May 26, 2022 at 7:48 PM
    alb1k

alb1k Always Coming From Take Me Down

Member:
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    05 2WD DC w/ attitude
    It's good
    I unwittingly protected my 401 by moving it all to cash after march 2020 crash and rebound. I felt like stuff had to go south again with the elections and new waves of covid and stuff. It never did, actually went crazy. Seems to be struggling now, down over 10% on the year, but that march was a 30% drop.

7. May 26, 2022 at 7:49 PM
    daveeasa

daveeasa FBC Harness Solutions

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 RCLB 4x4, 2005 RC 5MT Prerunner, 2016 Tacoma OR DCSB 6MT
    This topic is probably more lunch table stuff.

As far as my Tundra, while it was actually yesterday instead of today, I picked up my freshly painted new fuel door. I hope the key transplant isn’t too hard.

alb1k likes this.
  8. May 26, 2022 at 7:55 PM
    NickB_01TRD

NickB_01TRD You don't need less cars, just more driveway.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    KY
    Vehicle:
    01 Tundra V8 4X4 AC SR5 TRD
    Pull the retainer clip and pop the lock out and put in new door. I've got a replacement door for mine just waiting for paint.

oscardog86 and daveeasa[QUOTED] like this.
  9. May 26, 2022 at 7:57 PM
    alb1k

Member:
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    05 2WD DC w/ attitude
    It's good
    yea. oops.

10. May 26, 2022 at 7:59 PM
    NickB_01TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    KY
    Vehicle:
    Looks like you'd benefit more from the garage door opener holder than the sunglasses holder.
    upload_2022-3-5_9-44-32.jpg
    I wear tinted safety glasses as sunglasses since they're cheap but they never fit in vehicle sunglasses holders.

FrenchToasty likes this.
  11. May 26, 2022 at 7:59 PM
    Fleawalker

Fleawalker New Member

Member:
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    2001 V8 4x4 Access Cab
    None (yet)
    Had many opportunities over the 56+ years I've been here. Some regrets but not looking back. Don't live on the water but close in any direction. Would rather pay transient rates to be on the water.

shifty`[QUOTED] and FrenchToasty like this.
  12. May 26, 2022 at 8:02 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    The one thing my "better 3/4" talked me into years ago was getting a financial advisor I can trust.. I talked to him about this exact subject when my 401k hit a major milestone in Jan/Feb timeframe. I had the same gut feeling as you, and asked him if I should roll it out into a Roth or something, anything that would be well-shielded, I just had this gut itch something bad was coming, after watching how much things surged. Mine grew 23% in 2021 alone.

He shared stories from past situations, he's been doing things for 20, 30 years now. He made a good point. He's had people time when to pull out perfectly. He's had people time when to re-enter perfectly. He can count the times on one hand he's seen someone perfectly time both. He was willing to help me squirrel things away, but insisted on riding it out, or scale back to a less aggressive stance (which I opted not to) and up aggressiveness when my confidence was higher.

At this point, I'm still at least 10-12% ahead of what I'd have had (factoring inflation) if I just socked away, which is better than what I'd have with a CD or similar so I'm not complaining, decent ROI. If I ever get to the point where it's looking like I could easily dip below what a CD would've made me, major crash, I'll probably reconsider. For now, I'm holding aggressive and trying not to look at things more than once a month. When things uptick, I'll be on top of it.

(actually just looked. Up 20k this week. Probably be down another 10-15k by Saturday. Things have been absurdly volatile.)

13. May 26, 2022 at 8:02 PM
    Fleawalker

Fleawalker New Member

Member:
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    2001 V8 4x4 Access Cab
    None (yet)
    Today I received a Fleabay alert. I bought a Climate control assembly from a 2002 Tundra V8 4x4 for cheap. Do I need it ? No. But bought it cause they are no longer available. Is this a sickness ?

oscardog86, NUDRAT and FirstGenVol like this.
  14. May 26, 2022 at 8:04 PM
    Fleawalker

Fleawalker New Member

Member:
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    2001 V8 4x4 Access Cab
    None (yet)
    I'm thinking about telling my therapist about this Forum

FirstGenVol and alb1k like this.
  15. May 26, 2022 at 8:04 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Yeah, sadly right below that is a Homelink-enabled rear view mirror. I'm 1 wire run away from not even needing an opener in the truck. Instead, I'm being a nasty combo of procastinator and OCD nubag on how it's run. FML.

16. May 26, 2022 at 8:07 PM
    FrenchToasty

FrenchToasty The Desert rat, 6 lug enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Mo
    The SoAz
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC 4.88s Elocker and some other trippy stuff
    None
    The one thing I don’t like about home link, the key doesn’t have to be in or on to make it work…..
    I always put a C clamp on the garage door when we leave for vacation

17. May 26, 2022 at 8:08 PM
    Fleawalker

Fleawalker New Member

Member:
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    2001 V8 4x4 Access Cab
    None (yet)
    I went to cash in Early March 2020. I'm about break even today if I had kept status quo. Don't know what your time horizon is but if you're still contributing don't hesitate to take some risk now.

18. May 26, 2022 at 8:10 PM
    NickB_01TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    KY
    Vehicle:
    I'd like home link in everything. I've put off buying more garage door opener remotes because our opener is on it's way out. We have two remotes and 5 cars only one with homelink and it's getting pretty annoying. A nice belt drive opener will probably happen sooner than later then I'll buy more remotes.

19. May 26, 2022 at 8:11 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    I'm still pumping cash in. I can't argue with tax-free savings, to which my employer contributes another vested 5% of my salary into 26 times a year.

And I'm set to the most aggressive stances possible, with carefully chosen diversity. I'm letting it ride.

20. May 26, 2022 at 8:13 PM
    FrenchToasty

Member:
    First Name:
    Mo
    The SoAz
    Vehicle:
    None
    So when you do look for openers, just look for ones with “myQ” and then you can do it all from a app I believe. My opener has it, but I just need to add a module or contraption to make it all work.

21. May 26, 2022 at 8:13 PM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    I swapped garage opener to sunglasses while I wait for pro paint on Switch-Pros panel. Course I don’t have enough sunglasses for 4 vehicles. So f me. But not like I drive my truck. It’s just a pit to throw money into.

alb1k, shifty` and FrenchToasty like this.
  22. May 26, 2022 at 8:15 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Are you sure? My '13 Camry was impossible to use the Homelink unless it detected the key was in proximity of the driver seat. I actually submitted a complaint about that when I got it, only to find the button didn't work if the key wasn't in the car. It's just as easy to wire it that way in your Tundra since you'd be going aftermarket. Just wire both power leads to ACC power.

My new garage door supports My-Q or whatever, some smart app. I've been meaning to look into how to set it up. You don't need remotes anymore, just trigger it with your smartphone. But I'd still use my mirror, one less thing to pull out while driving.

FrenchToasty[QUOTED] likes this.
  23. May 26, 2022 at 8:16 PM
    NickB_01TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    KY
    Vehicle:
    Yes my grandparents have one with that. Worked well for a little while then just quit and didn't want to work. I didn't look into it much since they never used it anyway. You can open and close with your phone and it's pretty neat though I'm not sure about the possible security risks involved with that.

24. May 26, 2022 at 8:17 PM
    FrenchToasty

Member:
    First Name:
    Mo
    The SoAz
    Vehicle:
    None
    Tundras don’t have the G key(transponder) but my home link was oem, so no wires to fiddle with
    I guess I’ll have to try it in the 4runner with the key out.

25. May 26, 2022 at 8:18 PM
    NickB_01TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    KY
    Vehicle:
    It's neat. It'll log when it opens and closes and whatnot as well. You do have to have an account for it of course too. Cool when it works. Don't remember it being too difficult to set up with the app. Then one day it just didn't want to connect anymore but like I said I didn't really troubleshoot it too much either.

FrenchToasty likes this.
  26. May 26, 2022 at 8:25 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    That's the other thing, my Camry was push-button start, so it had that proximity key or whatever, I think what you mean by "transponder"? May've had something to do with it.

That's the other cool thing that came with Homelink version 5. Her '20 Highlander has v5 in it, and it supports 2-way comms, so say you get a mile down the road and can't remember if you closed the garage, you can just tap one of the Homelink buttons and it gives a green down or yellow up triangle to tell you the last position logged.

Of course, if anyone opened it in the meantime, it won't know. But ...

On the MyQ, maybe the mainboard on the opener is failing to get a wifi signal? I've got an AP in the garage hallway right by the door, to saturate my shop and garage. And a segregated SSID to stick it on. The limiter for me was setting up the damn account. I hate creating new accounts for anything.

27. May 26, 2022 at 8:36 PM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    I had the lift master gateway for a bit. It was cool. Their wall controls though, would tail and the door opens. Usually while you are gone. Not very confidence inspiring. I use doorbell style 78lm wall controls now. Grumpy old man I am.

FrenchToasty likes this.
  28. May 26, 2022 at 8:40 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    That irked me when going from my Homelink v3 compatible Chamberlain to a v5 and MyQ compatible one. I couldn't keep using the old basic opener that was purely wired, with a light and lock button. The new control wasn't hard-wired, it was RF or whatever. And worst of all, the new wall button they gave me didn't have a light button on it, which I use almost every time I go in the garage, I had to drop $35 on a different opener. Bastards.

daveeasa[QUOTED] likes this.
  29. May 26, 2022 at 8:51 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    I've been wanting to ask why you got a 2WD when you like off roading but this makes sense. It seems like the terrain where you live is fine for 2WD most of the time and probably still a lot of fun.

I've mentioned it before but 2WD trucks in Tennessee can be horrible. Even the smallest amount of snow and they become nearly impossible to drive up our hills. It's so easy to get stuck here in 2WD with all the rain, mud and hills we have. I went to a brewery one time after a hard rain and parked in the only spot I could which was grass. I thought I was going to get stuck. My truck was covered in mud when I left and I felt bad for tearing up the grass.

I still think it would be badass if you did the 4WD conversion though. Your truck is looking great.

IMG_20220103_132650393_HDR.jpg

Voss, oscardog86, bmf4069 and 2 others like this.
  30. May 26, 2022 at 9:02 PM
    alb1k

Member:
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    05 2WD DC w/ attitude
    It's good
    It would be badass to do a conversion, but it would have been better If I started that way. I started with tires, wheels and then shocks. I never knew I would get hooked. This truck is pretty rad, but it has its place. What's great is that because of this build and you and everyone else - I have a pretty good idea where to start the next build. :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top