1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What have you done to your 1st gen Tundra today?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by T-Rex266, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Feb 10, 2022 at 2:59 PM
    REESE77

REESE77 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reese
    Vehicle:
    03' 4x4 v8
    well, there you go folks... oil disposal is easy and you wont die!

RUSTYNUTS likes this.
  2. Feb 10, 2022 at 3:03 PM
    bmc02

bmc02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Buddy
    E WA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC SR5 / 06 SEQUOIA LTD
    I look forward to oil changes. Not sure why, but it's an easy and satisfying maintenance job for me. Even if I bought brand new vehicle (I don't/won't) I would still prefer to do it myself. I buy a years worth of filters and oil at a time. Used oil goes in 5 gallon bucket and bring it with me to recycling center which I frequent anyways.

3. Feb 10, 2022 at 3:06 PM
    Casper421

Casper421 Toyota RidgeTrac driver!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    In the woods
    Vehicle:
    06 DC
    I have a crazy idea, when you go buy new oil at the auto parts store, dispose of the old oil.

RUSTYNUTS, CodyP, oscardog86 and 5 others like this.
  4. Feb 10, 2022 at 3:10 PM
    KK6PD

KK6PD 2 1 yr. retired . . . after 42 yrs

Member:
    First Name:
    ROAD
    Upper Los Angeles Foothills
    Vehicle:
    2003 AC Tundra . . . . 7th owner
    New Tires, Stereo & Speakers,Uni-Strut Tie Down Continue watching THIS SPACE FOR FUTURE DEVELOPMENTS
    Well, that's just crazy talk .... but it makes so much sense! I like it!!!
    In fact, I do just that!

5. Feb 10, 2022 at 3:15 PM
    Jack McCarthy

Jack McCarthy Truck repair enthusiast; Rust Aficionado

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    North of Boston
    Vehicle:
    02 Tundra AC SR5 V8 4x4
    I've never paid anyone to change my oil since I've always done it myself. It might be cost effective to pay someone else but it's also a nightmare if someone underfills your oil, forgets to put it in, or destroys the oil pan/skid plate in the process.

My used oil goes right back into the 5 quart jug and returned to wally world for disposal. Any quantity beyond 5 quarts stays in the sealed drain container for the next empty 5 quart jug and so on.

Downside to NOT having a basement/garage though are those who wish to use my guest bathroom have a 5 gallon black oil container to rest their arm upon when using the toilet. :D

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
    oscardog86, chrisb, bmf4069 and 4 others like this.
  6. Feb 10, 2022 at 4:55 PM
    NUDRAT

NUDRAT 6 lug life

Member:
    SW CT
    Vehicle:
    off-brand 1st Gen
    That's how I was taught to change radiator coolant. start engine, hose in radiator cap, drain cock open, when water comes out clear shut off engine, turn off hose. When radiator stops draining, close petcock, add coolant, add water, replace radiator cap, run until up to temp with heat on. All the wet on the ground will evaporate. Times have changed.

oscardog86 likes this.
  7. Feb 10, 2022 at 9:05 PM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    Most are. It’s the few bad ones that give a bad name to the rest. Same goes for all professions.

Darkness[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Feb 10, 2022 at 9:22 PM
    Diablo169

Diablo169 ROKRAPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab 340k+
    2” Lift, Bilstein 5100’s and 885’s, Rear 5100’s Icon 3 Leaf Pack and Firestone Air Bags with Daystar Cradles. Spider Trax 1.25” Wheel Spacers, Factory Wheels wrapped with Toyo 285/70r17 AT2’s.
    Smudge Pot bro.

KK6PD likes this.
  9. Feb 10, 2022 at 10:02 PM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    Disposal isn't a problem. I fill 2 or 3 5 qt bottles and drop them off at vatozone while I'm picking up more oil. Takes all of 15 minutes, they even take the filters.

10. Feb 11, 2022 at 3:30 AM
    bmf4069

bmf4069 Yup, that's car parts in a dishwasher

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    02 AC sr5 4wd v8
    Hell, most oil change prices are for 5qts anyways. They'll charge more for our 6.5 qts, or more than likely leave you 1.5 qts low.

Also, which oil should I use? Supertech non syn and a fram filter?

:stirthepot:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
  11. Feb 11, 2022 at 4:07 AM
    FrenchToasty

FrenchToasty The Desert rat, 6 lug enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Mo
    The SoAz
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC 4.88s Elocker and some other trippy stuff
    None
    I use 40wt veggie oil, whereled peas

12. Feb 11, 2022 at 5:40 AM
    chrisb

chrisb scumbag

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    noblesville, IN
    Vehicle:
    06 AC 4x4
    I'm back on Rotella T6 5w40 or M1 Diesel Truck 5w40.
    Cheap, come in gallon jugs, can buy at parts store or supermarket, and excellent oil.

NUDRAT and FrenchToasty like this.
  13. Feb 11, 2022 at 5:55 AM
    des2mtn

des2mtn Third Member

Member:
    Where my wheels stop rolling
    Vehicle:
    2004 Black DC Limited 4x4
    Tonto cover
    I've made a habit of calling O'Reillys or Vatozone to check if their oil tank is full before dropping in. Most of the time the employees don't mind checking.

Darkness[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Feb 11, 2022 at 6:03 AM
    Jack McCarthy

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    North of Boston
    Vehicle:
    02 Tundra AC SR5 V8 4x4
    Dammit! Broke my hood protector trying to get around my vehicle when I had to park close to a snowbank because I had to rush into dunkin donuts to fix my order.

Buttholes gave me the order of the guy behind me. :mad:
    20220211_090006.jpg

15. Feb 11, 2022 at 6:04 AM
    Jack McCarthy

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    North of Boston
    Vehicle:
    02 Tundra AC SR5 V8 4x4
    On top of that, more water in the gas tank. Had to drop another bottle of deet in it to keep it from stalling out at the lights.

16. Feb 11, 2022 at 6:05 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    @Jack McCarthy we need to talk about the condition of your headlights sir...:monocle:

:p

17. Feb 11, 2022 at 6:26 AM
    chrisb

chrisb scumbag

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    noblesville, IN
    Vehicle:
    06 AC 4x4
    One of the two primary benefits of bicycles over motorcycles (fitness being the first) is that in a bind, a bicycle can be used as a weapon. I've never been strong enough to swing a motorcycle at a person.
    And I agree with you on learning to respect the stopping distances of heavy vehicles. It's amazing watching the dumb MFers around here dive in front of semi trucks as they approach lights or squeeze in front of them in traffic and immediately hit the brakes.

Probably going to whatever hell there is, but I LOL'd pretty hard at this. It's also a lesson for kiddo. I learned as a young BMXer that you can't let people crowd you from behind if they're untrustworthy. :D

We need to renormalize calling people buttholes.

Best not look at mine either. One of the cleanup guys was going to polish mine as they're pretty yellow...and then didn't because they're also cracking. (on the list for 2022)

18. Feb 11, 2022 at 6:26 AM
    Jack McCarthy

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    North of Boston
    Vehicle:
    02 Tundra AC SR5 V8 4x4
    Is everyone using the cerakote headlight restoration kit now? I think I saw a few people commenting on it. Supposedly guarantees it won't come back to a haze.

19. Feb 11, 2022 at 6:55 AM
    shifty`

shifty` Our private little trip to hell

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    Unless it's a French bike. Never works with French bikes.

Yeah, my OEM headlights had the same issue. It was hard to really tell until they were polished, though. Check out the 3rd pic over here. I still have my originals, in-box, with good bulbs. I was thinking about buying a cheap set off Amazon and seeing if the lenses would cleanly swap over - if so, it'd be nice to have a spare pair of OEM housings, and maybe I could retrofit projectors into them and re-sell my new OEMs? But I wouldn't know which set of aftermarkets to buy. I do have all the Morimoto Retro Rubber stuff to re-seal the lenses on already from another project I touched on.

I'd love to see where that claim is and how they're backing it up. I'm skeptical. I used the 3M stuff. Really, if you have wet sanding paper and polish, you can do that part without the kit and just go buy some 3M clearcoat wipes at the LAPS for like $3-4. They make it super easy.

20. Feb 11, 2022 at 7:03 AM
    Jack McCarthy

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    North of Boston
    Vehicle:
    02 Tundra AC SR5 V8 4x4
    Supposedly it's the ceramic compound formula that keeps it from hazing back over. I might try it out. I've been using Meguire's headlight restoration but it comes back after a few months following a waxing. I think the road salt has a lot to do with it.

21. Feb 11, 2022 at 7:14 AM
    chrisb

chrisb scumbag

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    noblesville, IN
    Vehicle:
    06 AC 4x4
    :D :D :D :D :D

I fully intend to retrofit projectors into some BigGurrl headlamps. Minimal risk and if they work out but the lamps are trash, I'll buy better lamps and retrofit those with the 'new' guts.

I am so frustrated that manufacturers have gone away from glass lenses. New glass lenses for the 911 are 60-150 each depending on what lamps you have and if you want any fancy bs like LHD/RHD or yellow or any combination thereof. The rest of the lamp doesn't need to be replaced at all. And the seals can be ordered separately. No need to buy the whole thing over a cracked/pitted/sad lens.

shifty`[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. Feb 11, 2022 at 8:49 AM
    rock climber

rock climber New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2001 Sequoia 4X4, 2000 AC 4X4
    I have a crazy stereo thought I need some input on. My sequoia has the JBL stereo with the 3 way speakers with a sperate mid next to the woofer. I actually really like the sound of the stereo, but both front woofers are going out. On the tundra I just replaced everything and pulled the stock amp, the sound is fine, but I can't tune it as well as the Sequoia already is. I'm guessing it's due to the time alignment setting or something, but it's beyond my ability to tune. (I have thought about getting a professional tune)

The Sequoia woofers are 2ohm, so if I replace them with a 4ohm speaker can I combine the mid and woofer wires to the new single 4ohm speaker and have that match the tweeter?

The other option I've considered is running an external amp between the JBL amp and the speaker so I can bump up the power to the woofer, but then I run into the fact that I can't tune anything.

TL/DR - if I wire 2 2ohm speaker wires together, does that double up the power (wattage) to run a 4ohm speaker?

23. Feb 11, 2022 at 10:19 AM
    CodyP

CodyP Such a n00b

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    CDA, ID
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra 4x4 DC
    What you talkin’ bout Willis? My two Peugeot’s will cause just as much damage as a huffy lol

bmf4069 likes this.
  24. Feb 11, 2022 at 10:28 AM
    daveeasa

daveeasa FBC Harness Solutions

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 RCLB 4x4, 2005 RC 5MT Prerunner, 2016 Tacoma OR DCSB 6MT
    The thing about fighting someone after an encounter while riding is they get back in their car and you are f’d. My dreams of confrontation always involved grabbing their keys first and tossing them into a storm drain. But you never know if they have a spare handy.

Bottom line, any confrontation on the road is a loss. Best to just avoid everything and ignore all the words.

I mostly just consider vehicles as a special kind of wild animal to compartmentalize and suppress my urge to react.

alb1k likes this.
  25. Feb 11, 2022 at 10:51 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    This is my thought too, I've just been too lazy/consumed with other stuff to figure out what projector kit would be ideal.

It doesn't work like that. If you have two 4ohm speakers and you wire in series, it becomes an 8ohm load. If you have two 4 ohm speakers and you wire in parallel, it becomes a 2 ohm load.

There are multiple basic consideratons you must have before doing this:
    • If wiring in series, you must confirm there's no inline crossover/cap on either of the speakers, many coaxial/triaxial and/or components will have capacitors glued on to ensure no frequencies out of the driver's range are sent to it.
    • If wiring in parallel, you must confirm the amplification source can handle a 2ohm load!
    • You'd really want to confirm whether each of those two speakers are being driven by the same channel on the amp, or separate channels.
    • You really need to know the impedance (ohms) of the other speaker here...
    It's also important to know in the car stereo world, the general assumption is your load-per-channel is typically 4ohm, whereas home stuff tends to be 8ohm. Most car audio amps, whether built-in to the head unit or external, are rated and expecting a 4ohm load unless otherwise stated (ex: Some mono amps intended for subs). When you wire down the impedance, you're making the amp work harder which can cause unforeseen and/or undesirable situations, not limited to excessive heat buildup (thermal overload risks). If you don't have specs on the OEM amp, assuming that's what you'd be using, I don't think I'd be going down that path if I were you.

Yeah? My Motobecane and Gitanes would kick your Peugeot's ass.

CodyP[QUOTED] and chrisb[QUOTED] like this.
  26. Feb 11, 2022 at 12:17 PM
    rock climber

rock climber New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! I was hoping you'd chime in. The sequoia amp has 3 separate channels for tweeter, mid and woofer (on each side, 6 total). Stock stereo and stock speakers are 2ohm. New woofers would be 4ohm. I was able to figure out the ohms at the amp if I wire the speakers together like two subwoofers, but I'm kind of doing the opposite where I'm wiring one speaker into two amplifier outputs.

The other reason for doing this is if I just hook up the new woofer to the woofer wires, I've lost the mid channel sound.

27. Feb 11, 2022 at 12:55 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    I don't understand what you mean by "lost the mid channel sound".

You also can't wire one speaker into two channels, that'd cause a short. You can wire one channel into two speakers if you get the right amperage/load out of the pair of speakers and none of the speakers in the chain has a crossover/cap which would cut out certain freqs. You can't have two amp channels, both delivering power, terminating into one speaker terminal ... it's the same as jumpering two amp channels together.

But maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Weird JBL would be different, or maybe it's a DC versus AC/RC thing - I'm pretty sure my front components are forked in parallel at the door harness, like, I'm pretty sure my door harness is a Y, where it's two wires at the end, four wires out the other (each harm sending out a pair). I think the speakers may've been 2 ohm, but the harness itself was configured to connect things in series would would result in an overall load of 4ohm. I'd need to go look at my OEM speakers to see what the amperage is, I've still got them in the garage. Be right back!

28. Feb 11, 2022 at 1:41 PM
    rock climber

rock climber New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Nope, you got what I'm saying. The way the speakers are set up, the woofer and midrange are connected to the same bracket and the woofer is 7". The aftermarket brackets only fit the woofer (no sperate mid) so I'd be removing the dedicated mid speaker.

ede43de6dcc74c7bab6c00452778e1d1_490.jpg

29. Feb 11, 2022 at 1:54 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Ok, this makes more sense, sort of. And yeah, that's totally different from the AC/RC truck front doors, there the woofer and tweeter are in very different places, in in the same general housing.

Is there also a tweeter in the same door, separate from this two-speaker housing?

What is the exact speaker you're installing, out of curiosity, and is it not available in a 2ohm variant?

You said, "The aftermarket brackets only fit the woofer (no sperate mid) so I'd be removing the dedicated mid speaker." ... I don't understand your logic here. I'm taking you for your word that both speakers are 2ohm each, so they must certainly be running in series with both speakers fed by the same two wires/channel, creating a (2 + 2) = 4ohm load. Is there any reason you don't just install the woofer in place of the old woofer, thus pushing a (4 + 2) = 6ohm load to the amp? It's not like you're taking a massive performance hit in doing so.

The ideal situation would be to install direct-replacement OEM-fit components if possible. If not possible, swapping in components with the same impedance in ohms using the same leads (via plug-and-play adapters) would be ideal.

abcinv likes this.
  30. Feb 11, 2022 at 6:24 PM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    I should have a radio again tonight. Harness finally done thanks to @daveeasa sending me some 8 pin male and female connectors. For now I have a jumper connector to make the speakers work. But once the amps hooked up it’ll be a plug and play system.
    [​IMG]

dinosaur, shifty`, bmf4069 and 4 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top