1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What 2022 are you going to buy ?

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by Supratuntaco, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Dec 21, 2021 at 7:10 AM
    someoneelse

someoneelse New Member

Member:
    I wouldn't hold your breath on relief from the chip shortage. From what I've heard it will likely go into early 2023 and since a ton are coming from China I kind of wonder if they won't half step export ramp-ups or price gouge just to aggravate western economies.

between the Platinum and 1794 I'd go for the Platinum. The black chrome trim looks so good (dark chrome like on nightshade trims or Lexus Fsport trims)

Archive and BTBAKER[QUOTED] like this.
  2. Dec 21, 2021 at 7:18 AM
    someoneelse

someoneelse New Member

Member:
    Ohhh good point! I bet you can't put a bed cover of any kind on it if you have those boxes. Still be nice if there were fender boxes of some kind; so much wasted space in there seems like. The 70s Fords had lockable tool boxes built into one side of the bed. the typical one didn't have nearly as much storage as the ramboxes, but you could put some jumper cables and a basic set of tools in there.

OnThaLake[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Dec 21, 2021 at 7:36 AM
    someoneelse

someoneelse New Member

Member:
    Congrats on holding off the cancer; I have a good friend who had a terrible heart attack and bought a Tundra right after, had been wanting one 10 years. Tomorrow is definitely not promised.
    I think I'd be bankrupt if I moved this many cars this quickly--glad you can afford it!
    The Tacoma is going through a completely full redesign like the Tundra did, I think all new will be in like 2024 model. Probably lots of new tech and better gas mileage but they've been making the current model pretty much for over 10 years so I imagine it will go forever if you want it to. The 2022 TRD Pro will probably be hybrid only, I'm guessing, since it's not out yet, and hybrids aren't out yet. I doubt the TRD Pros will be in dealerships until March or April. Based on some of the youtube reviews, I probably wouldn't buy a new new new 2022 Tundra. I'd wait a couple years if that was the only factor. But then again sounds like you could come out ahead on the Tacoma and put that extra money into an extended warranty if you plan to keep the Tundra a long time--just in case any of the brand new design bugs come back to bite. If I can talk myself into spending that much money for a truck, I really want the platinum, but I'd be putting BFGs on it as soon as I left the dealership, those road tires look like they belong on a car to me lol

OppoMojo likes this.
  4. Dec 21, 2021 at 7:40 AM
    someoneelse

someoneelse New Member

Member:
    Lots more chrome on the 1794. The chrome on the Platinum is the black chrome, like what you see on a Lexus Fsport or a Toyota Nightshade vehicle. I really really don't like chrome, so I'd be all for the Platinum. The blue lights inside the platinum and blue stitching looks awesome. not everyone digs blue though I know. I actually like the 2021 orange-sh brown better than the 2022 brown, but I think I might be the only one lol.

5. Dec 21, 2021 at 7:56 AM
    BTBAKER

BTBAKER DIFFERENT NAME. SAME JUNK.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    I’m fairly well set on 4 years. It’s going to give me time to see how the new GEN performs. At that point I really hope this vehicle chaos sorts itself out. I’m at 52,000 now and will probably be around 100,000 in 4 years.

6. Dec 21, 2021 at 2:20 PM
    Supratuntaco

Supratuntaco [OP] New Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Trd Pro
    Thanks man ! I think I left out that right after my diagnosis I also bought a 3 year old or 2016 Tesla model S lol I also sold it this summer but took a hit on it. They don't hold there value !
    I ended up selling my 2018 Tundra for $52k ! I made money on it after driving it for 3.5 years.
    The 2022 Trd Pro does only come in hybrid version. I know what you mean about reliability on the 22's. I've never been one to buy an extended warranty but probably would on the 22's. I still think that the 22's will be more reliable than other brands. The reason Toyota makes small changes and doesn't just come out with new models more often is they believe in making things better. There's a Japanese word for it but don't remember what it is. They also will test the new model a lot longer than most brands. I believe the motor was under testing for 6 years but only real world testing is the best test.
    I was fortunate by having a good job and pension. I retired at 55 and also inherited a little bit of money so I can afford to buy more often. I usually try not to lose much money tho lol. Before my Tundra I had a 2011 Tacoma that I bought used. After 3 years and 200k I sold it for $500 less than I paid. Salesman really hate me, in fact I had one salesman tell me that lol. I really grind them to get the best price but the way things are now it's tough.
    I said I just bought a 21 Tacoma but it's up for sale now lol. Turns out that I forgot I have trouble driving a standard because of an injury. I drove standards most of my life up until 2010 when I bought a 2008 4runner. I feel so dumb that I forgot lol
    Right now I'm looking for a 21 Platinum and found one in another province that's reasonable. Meaning only 1k over msrp for a used one lol. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around that ! I can get it on a auto transport for a reasonable price. I just need to decide if I want to do that. I can't find anything here except a sport that's 10k over msrp lol
    I'm also thinking just going to a 22 Limited non hybrid as it's basically the old Platinum as far as features and I could get it sooner.
    I would do the same as you about tires except Falken Wildpeaks. There great on snow and ice and quiet on the pavement. Plus they look great !
    Enough rambling lol

OppoMojo likes this.
  7. Dec 21, 2021 at 2:23 PM
    Supratuntaco

Supratuntaco [OP] New Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Trd Pro
    Good for you! Keep saving and spending wisely

BTBAKER[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Dec 21, 2021 at 7:25 PM
    Tundra4Runner

Tundra4Runner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner TRD PRO
    Dang it! I just realized the 1794 can only be configured with a 6.5' bed. That's a long truck.

That's probably a deal breaker for me on the 1794. I was willing to put up with a little chrome after adding the TRD off road pkg.
    I loved the saddle brown interior.
    Dang! I'm not so sure I want the PRO (as they will all be hybrid).

I guess I'll wait to see what the PRO is like....or Capstone with the TTV8

9. Dec 21, 2021 at 8:04 PM
    OnThaLake

OnThaLake New Member

Member:
    6.5 really?

10. Dec 21, 2021 at 8:18 PM
    DexterL

DexterL New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 lunar rock TRD pro Seqouia
    I can in my region 83705. Capstone is not going to have a ttv8… that’s for damn sure

11. Dec 22, 2021 at 4:10 AM
    nuclear

nuclear New Member

Member:
    Must be a region specific thing, you can get the 1794 here with the short bed.

12. Dec 22, 2021 at 4:53 AM
    Tundra4Runner

Tundra4Runner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner TRD PRO
    Interesting.... I just went to the toyota website and looked at the option/comparisons.
    I thought that was strange it didn't list 5.5' as an option. Thanks for the tip. I'll keep checking on it.

13. Dec 22, 2021 at 5:03 AM
    Tundra4Runner

Tundra4Runner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner TRD PRO
    I stand corrected. The "build" page says you can get the different beds, but the model comparison details with the options/packages says it only comes with 6.5' bed. Again, thanks for the assistance!

14. Dec 22, 2021 at 6:02 AM
    Lovetrucks

Lovetrucks Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram Rebel
    If you’re referring to the ramboxes they’ve had covers for them for years now , but I think Ram has a patent on it .

15. Dec 22, 2021 at 6:02 PM
    sensei

sensei master and teacher of nothing

Member:
    trd boosted, trd bbk, fox stage 4, corsa, amp, jl/kenwood
    i'm getting a celestial silver platinum cm 4x4. secured it the other day. build date jan 3 so maybe delivery late feb / early march? can't wait!

this is a 1794 so it's not my truck but a good example of what the silver looks like. good quality pics of silver have been hard to find imo. the platinum will have the dark chrome grill and dark wheels. just my style.

IMG_5009.jpg

16. Dec 22, 2021 at 6:20 PM
    RavingOx

RavingOx Member

Member:
    WNC
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Platinum in Black
    I could probably do silver in a Platinum, but that 1794 looks like Silver Surfer’s rig.

17. Dec 24, 2021 at 7:36 AM
    Toyotafanboy

Toyotafanboy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    SoCal
    That color is sweet

TL TRDPro LR[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Dec 25, 2021 at 12:50 PM
    TicTacx

TicTacx New Member

Member:
    Got close to pulling the trigger on a blue off road but I'm just not a fan of the chromed mustache and bumper they add with that package. Also don't really have a need for the off road bits.

Think I would hold out for a sport or standard sr5.

Totherion likes this.
  19. Dec 25, 2021 at 3:15 PM
    Archive

Archive New Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    '22 Tundra CM 6.5' TRDOR
    Archive Garage Suspension
    I'd go 4x4 SR5 CrewMax 6.5' MGM/Black Cloth, only option TRD Off Road package. Still a little heartbroken this pretty base truck is only 1450lb payload door sticker
    It seems the MGMs come with a red TRD OR sticker, which I love

SR5-TRD.jpg

Boerseun likes this.
  20. Dec 25, 2021 at 8:33 PM
    KB Voodoo

KB Voodoo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Pro Crewmax, Cement
    Many KB Voodoo Fabrications accessories!!
    It makes me very happy that you know of our small, but formidable Buffalo army of Hip fans.

I'm shooting pool and listening to Live Between Us as we speak.

Mattedfred[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Dec 25, 2021 at 8:33 PM
    KB Voodoo

KB Voodoo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    Easy there Buster.

Mattedfred likes this.
  22. Dec 26, 2021 at 5:55 AM
    Mattedfred

Mattedfred Toyota Fan Boy Since ‘04

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Cambridge, Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 TRD Sport DC 4X4 in MGM
    TRD Skid Plate/Running Boards, Bison Soft Rollup Tonneau, Thule Canoe Rack, Bedmat, Tailgate Black Insert Badge, Northwest Seat Covers Neoprene Custom Fit Front Row Seat Covers. Tailgate Mat
    Formidable indeed. The Buffalo fans put many Canadian self professed Hip fans to shame.

And, since you're listening to Live Between Us, which band does Gord reference on that album and do you know their music?

23. Dec 26, 2021 at 9:05 AM
    KB Voodoo

KB Voodoo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    The Rheostatics!!

We’re all richer for having seen them tonight.

But, no, I don’t know their music.

Mattedfred likes this.
  24. Dec 27, 2021 at 4:47 AM
    nuclear

nuclear New Member

Member:
    :cookiemonster:

KB Voodoo[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Dec 28, 2021 at 4:57 AM
    ubserved

ubserved New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toytota Tundra Platinum Crewmax
    Grillguard, front LED light bar, Leer Tonneau cover, rear LED bars
    At 6'5" I had to peel myself out of it like a banana out of it's skin. Where in my 17 Plat CC I don't even come into contact with the door frame. I just have no desire to have to do yoga just to get in and out of the truck lol.

26. Dec 28, 2021 at 5:49 AM
    Mattedfred

Mattedfred Toyota Fan Boy Since ‘04

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Cambridge, Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 TRD Sport DC 4X4 in MGM
    TRD Skid Plate/Running Boards, Bison Soft Rollup Tonneau, Thule Canoe Rack, Bedmat, Tailgate Black Insert Badge, Northwest Seat Covers Neoprene Custom Fit Front Row Seat Covers. Tailgate Mat
    Highly recommended. Martin Tielli is an madman on the guitar. A wild live band if you ever get the chance.

27. Dec 28, 2021 at 10:32 AM
    Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla I'd rather be fishing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Platinum 4x4 Crewmax
    this is a primary concern for me, I haven’t been able to test drive one yet but getting in and out I did not want to be harder with the bend in half move to duck the a pillar or roof.

im going to test the gmc AT4 and a tundra and I hope that very thing is ok

28. Dec 28, 2021 at 11:21 AM
    ubserved

ubserved New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toytota Tundra Platinum Crewmax
    Grillguard, front LED light bar, Leer Tonneau cover, rear LED bars
    I got into a 21 Silverado and Sierra as well as a Tahoe and Yukon and they all seemed easier to get into and out of than the 22 Tundra sad to say. I haven't checked out the 22 GM's yet tho.

29. Dec 29, 2021 at 8:25 PM
    NueveTundra

NueveTundra Mod list in Bio

Member:
    Planet Earth
    Vehicle:
    07, Black Tundra SR5 CrewMax
    Exterior: Toytec ultimate 3" lift level, Total Chaos Uniball UCA's, Total Chaos Cam Tab Gusset kit, AcanII smoked headlights, AcanII smoke Tail lights (2.5 gen style), DV8 front winch bumper , Badlands 12k winch with Apex Synthetic, White AUTMATCH Shackles 3/4" D Ring Shackle, Apex Winch shackle, Trail Ridge mirrors ,Icon Rebound Pro 17"x8.5" +25, Cooper Discovery STT Pro 285/70R17, PowerStop drilled n slotted rotors W/Carbon pads, Rigid flood flush mounts rear bumper , WeatherTec rain guards , OEM black side badges , Rigid Amber Radiance Pods. Energy Suspension Red Rack and Pinion Bushings, EAG front mesh Grille, RCI HighLift bed mounts. Rough Country DS2 Steps, A.R.E OverLand Canopy with Ascend basket, Stickers: ToyTec lifts windshield banner, Red Strange Music window sticker(back cab), White Strange Music sticker(back canopy), White Rigid sticker x2 (canopy sides), white Official BigFoot Research Team (Back Canopy) Interior: Alpine double din touch iLX-650 , JL C5-653's (front) JL C1-650x (rear) , JL JX400 4 channel amp , JL JX500 mono amp , 2 JL 12" subs , WeatherTec floor mats, Kenwood F/R Dash Cams, Black steering wheel emblem overlay, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, ToyTec "Fresh" Scent coilover air freshener, Under the Hood: Koyo all aluminum radiator, Mishimoto red silicon hoses , XS Power 3000 amp battery , LAlectric 300 amp Alternator , K&N replacement filter. Online LED store accessories Fuse/relay box. (Identified) Dirty Deeds 8" Cat back exhaust with DD resonator delete/axel over converted into dump. Coming soon:
    I've been shuffling the thought of which one I want to get I know it will be mid 2022 when I pull the trigger. Really wanted a Hybrid Pro but seems they are far off atm, plus the under seat being taken up is kinda a deal breaker, I need that room for subs. Pondered at the idea of battery relocation to a false floor in the bed. Then started thinking of mybe just going with a SR cause of cost but the towing limit took that out of the equation. SR5 with what I want was to pricey to be missing the major thing I want which is the panoramic roof so. I ended up crunching numbers and found its do able for a Plat or 1794 with BSM tow mirrors. So it will be one of the two.

OppoMojo likes this.
  30. Dec 30, 2021 at 2:49 AM
    Toyota1234

Toyota1234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    2022, army green limited, off road, DC
    Limited DC, 6.5 ft bed, trd off road army green, black softex if everything goes as planned this morning.. :fingerscrossed:

Products Discussed in

To Top