1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vote for the location of my lights

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by mgm16trdpro, Aug 25, 2018.

?

Based upon looks only pick 1 spot A or B

Poll closed Aug 28, 2018.
  1. A

50.8%
  2. B

49.2%
  1. Aug 26, 2018 at 4:08 PM
    TundraCoast

TundraCoast Member In Good Standing

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    California
    Vehicle:
    1794 4x4
    1794 on the inside - PRO on the outside
    Looking forward to seeing the final product, the light that it puts out is really helpful for hooking up my boat/skis trailer and unloading camping gear,

2. Aug 26, 2018 at 4:14 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    If it was me, I would use the S2 in that location(sorry couldn’t resist)...:devil:

mgm16trdpro[OP] likes this.
  3. Aug 26, 2018 at 9:36 PM
    geno0506

geno0506 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4, S/W, B-6112/5160
    FN-A!

4. Aug 27, 2018 at 6:10 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s

5. Aug 27, 2018 at 3:35 PM
    geno0506

geno0506 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4, S/W, B-6112/5160

:cheers:

15whtrd[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Aug 27, 2018 at 4:37 PM
    wwolvverine

wwolvverine New Member

Member:
    2018 Tundra 1794
    I was going to say A1 but what you did actually looks pretty good and clean.

7. Aug 29, 2018 at 8:23 AM
    mgm16trdpro

mgm16trdpro [OP] Certified Modoholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    Thanks guys for the help. For anyone who cares, despite going back and forth 100 times between locations, I decided to go A. The vote was even closer than I expected. I thought B would nudge out A but it was opposite with A by 1 vote 33-32. Dont get closer than that. I just wanted to make sure, which I didn't think it would be a landslide in 1 location over the other. If it was and I was leaning the other direction I would have to consider why? I settled on A and I'm hoping to get this done by end of today.

Again, anyone who cares, I decided on A for bunch of reasons, some already mentioned. My biggest concern was rust. In A I can either get away cutting no metal or just a sliver. B would definitely require and plus I don't know what it does structurally cutting it. My trailer hitch provides plenty of protection in A. If I do have to cut a slice off I'll cover the cut with some por15 on the cut edge. I'm hoping I can use the metal behind to drill 2 holes and use as anchors but we'll see when I get into it. Other reasons include easier imo install, if i dont like i can change later by buying new black plastic piece, it will provide more light in center for both trailer hookups and reverse light in camera. I'm not worried about casting light off the sides, I'm pretty positive already having squadrons in the front they will throw more than enough off the rear just as they do in the fog location in the front. I don't see a couple feet making that big of difference. These lights kick ass throwing light off to the sides so I'm pretty positive it will be fine and provide a bit more in the center where I need it more. I was also thinking if I went B with them angling out toward the edges they might not provide enough where I need the light most which is in the middle considering I'm often towing. When it came to just looks I was 50/50. Just like the poll I was split down the middle and thought both locations would look fine.

So there you have it, the results and my reasons for the location I chose. Thanks again for taking the time to vote and for providing the reasons why 1 location might be better than the other. I appreciate the info and the reasoning. A couple things were brought up that really helped in influencing my decision. Despite the fact I was all along going to choose the location that I THOUGHT BEST, I value others opinions and if I can learn something, or gather some info that I can in influencing my decision I'm not too proud to listen and take into consideration. Although there's always knuckleheads and trolls online, and despite even this site's knuckledheads me included, there's a lot of smart guys on here that I've learned and benefited from their info and opinions. This is the reason I always try to help and pay it forward when asked for help. Nuff talk, time to get these lights in and see how it turns out. I'll post up how it turns out.

mtTundra likes this.
  8. Aug 29, 2018 at 10:21 AM
    mtTundra

mtTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bozeman MT
    Vehicle:
    2016 Platinum 4X4, 1997 Tacoma 4x4
    Longer list than the wife needs to know about....
    Please let us know how it goes, I'm probably going to be putting some S2's in the same location and would appreciate learning from your experience.
    Cheers

9. Aug 29, 2018 at 12:24 PM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    Mike,
    I'm changing my vote to B.
    So B wins, plug the hole and cut the bumper. ;)

10. Aug 29, 2018 at 12:29 PM
    Beavis

Beavis New Member

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Tundra TRD DoubleCab
  11. Aug 29, 2018 at 12:38 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Ici magnum side steps in linex, factory spray in bed liner, remote start,afe pro dry filter, dap tune,sso slimline hybrid OEM bumper with baja designs 30" s8 driving combo,warn platinum xeon winch, baha designs squadron sport fogs in amber wide cornering with fog pocket kit, gtr headlight LEDs, 295/70r18 nitro ridge grapplers, g2 painted red calipers, 1.25 spidertrax spacers, bed slide pro 1000 se and 5 bin package, diamondback HD bed cover with ATV package and black package, 2 auto access led strips in bed, husky full coverage exact contour mats with custom logos, V led leds interior lights, tuffskinz mid console/&rear cupholder package, mid console tray and organizer, 2 JL 10s in custom sub box, 4 Hertz door speakers,2 hertz tweeters, other audio upgrades, tinted front windows, weathertech in channel rain guards, artic coating, reverse tail light section and third brake tint, ami big stick antenna, 2 CB shims +3 shackle, cb steer kit, Trd dual exhaust, trd skid plate, vled footwell kits front and back, factor 55 winch fairlead and prolink, gen y torsion hitch, bushwacker color matched fender flares with black powder coated rivets, trd rear sway bar, covercraft cargo bar and cargo net, recovery gear, custom shifter and middle console.I'm sure other things I'm forgetting too
    See what I mean by the site having it's share of knuckleheads.

12. Aug 29, 2018 at 1:04 PM
    Jim LE 1301

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    :eek2:

Wait the poll closed yesterday....okay I'll stick with A.
    A
    Did You finish it yet, can't wait to see it.

13. Aug 29, 2018 at 1:44 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    I did easy peasy. But I'm going to make u wait to see it just because, that's my payback for all u knuckleheads messing with me. Now it's my turn. Let's just say I hold the key to a pretty clean look with zero metal cutting and installed in less than 2 hrs. Besides me being a dick just to make u wait, I really got to pick up the kids and go coach my sons football practice. After that u shall have what you want. So in the meantime, everyone who messed with me go outside and climb under your rear bumpers and try to figure out where I installed them and how they look, kinda like where's waldo, who knows maybe I even changed my mind on the location, kinda like the voters were changing their minds after voting, sound familiar.
    Revenge is sweet, paybacks a bitch.

Alright I'll stop messing with ya, heres a pic, I'll send it right now.

14. Aug 29, 2018 at 1:45 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    You like how it turned out?
    15355754704564970935636188539314.jpg

mtTundra, Coolhardy and ColoradoTJ like this.
  15. Aug 29, 2018 at 1:54 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    That looks very good!

16. Aug 29, 2018 at 1:55 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Tease

17. Aug 29, 2018 at 1:55 PM
    Coolhardy

Coolhardy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harris
    Vehicle:
    2014 black tundra
    Too many to list
    Cover that ass pls so we can see...

18. Aug 29, 2018 at 2:03 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Here's a quick glimpse but I warn you those squadrons are blinding. Just so I'm not a complete dick to everyone. This is my small attempt to be somewhat nice to those people who didn't F with me. I'll get into the nitty gritty later when I get my kids and get back from football. I'll show the location in detail both front and back. I'll also show just how easy it is to mount in this spot.
    20180829_164830.jpg

Jim LE 1301 and ColoradoTJ like this.
  19. Aug 29, 2018 at 2:07 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    So. Bright.

20. Aug 29, 2018 at 2:08 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    I'll even take some night shots both outside, inside, and in camera. I'll play nice with everyone despite my nature of liking to mess with people being a knucklehead myself. I'll even do a nice little write up for u all.

I must admit, I feel like I took a chance and won. Night shots will prove right or wrong. My faith is in baja. Praise be to baja.

mtTundra and ColoradoTJ like this.
  21. Aug 29, 2018 at 4:51 PM
    Jim LE 1301

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    Very nice.
    Thanks for posting the pictures and saving me gas, tolls and time to come down and take the pictures myself and posting them for you.:rofl:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    mgm16trdpro[OP] and Coolhardy like this.
  22. Aug 29, 2018 at 6:53 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Alright here we go 1st some eye candy. Then I'll explain the who what why for anyone who cares. Heres how they look aesthetically in the location I picked. I'll show why and how later.

20180829_164651.jpg 20180829_164616.jpg20180829_164716.jpg 20180829_165245.jpg 20180829_165339.jpg

23. Aug 29, 2018 at 7:13 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    So I chose this location for many reasons but my main concern and reason I chose this spot is fear of rust. This is the perfect location if you do not want to cut any metal. U won't have to worry about rust or any structural impact if you follow suit.

I literally cut zero metal. This is probably the only spot in the rear bumper where you can mount these without needing to cut any metal. If you moved them over even less than an inch you're in the metal. I'm going to make them more theft proof later but check out how close they are mounted to metal without cutting any.

That's metal all along that clip, again this is about as close you can get without touching it. By the way, this makes install a breeze. A tape measure, a level, and a dremel, you re good to go with a hr or 2 at most if you're anal like me.
    20180829_165030.jpg
    Depending on the angle of the pic it looks like you're either touching or very close. If I was to do again I'd actually make my cut along the metal from the inside as a guide leaving a minuscule space between.
    20180829_165042.jpg 20180829_165046.jpg
    Other side, heres a real closeup. It's actually just about same gap as on other side. The angle and closeup makes it look a bit farther away, but I assure you they're almost identical. I will admit it's not 100% identical but it's within a 1/4 inch, plus no one would ever know, I only do bc I'm extremely anal.

Again, if I was to do again, or for the next man make your cuts with the dremel from the inside. Start it right along the metal and they will be perfect matching on the other side. Unless of course your bumper is off. I'm not taking any responsibility and cut at your own risk. But, if I was to do again you could probably even get rid of the ruler. Start your cut very close to the metal and you will want the bottom of the light to sit flush along the bottom straight line of the bumper. Take notice, the top line on top that curves up and a line on bottom that curves down. Mine sit even with the bottom straight line. This part between those lines sit flat and will project straight back. If u went above top line it will project up and below bottom down. So in between those lines can be used as gauge and use the bottom line for the bottom of the light to sit along it. This will insure your light fights without cutting any metal.20180829_165339.jpg

20180829_164959.jpg

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    Baja Designs, Bailey, blue16 and 3 others like this.
  24. Aug 29, 2018 at 7:30 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    You want output pics here you go. It's the perfect location and these are the perfect lights. Notice how bright for trailer hook ups and how far they project in camera, its sick.
    20180829_204506.jpg
    Looks like daylight in picher black conditions.
    20180829_205055.jpg
    Oh you dont think they project off the sides
    20180829_204426.jpg20180829_204444.jpg
    Heres driver side windows down
    20180829_204950.jpg passenger side window down
    20180829_205000.jpg
    Heres driver with windows up, keep in mind my fronts are tinted 1 shade darker than the rear factory tint.
    20180829_205034.jpg
    Heres passenger side with tinted windows up.

20180829_205023.jpg
    Heres 1 more driver and passenger in side view showing the spread.
    20180829_202702.jpg
    20180829_202706.jpg Heres 1 more in camera.
    20180829_202652.jpg

Attached Files:

25. Aug 29, 2018 at 7:37 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    20180829_204434.jpgI mean they so bright you cant even take a pic from in front, even the side views it's hard to capture because they so bright.20180829_205303.jpg

26. Aug 29, 2018 at 7:41 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    To sum up, very easy install. Looks good and more than solved the issue of needing more light back there. Directly behind is crazy bright, off to sides very bright. Install, so simple and takes very little time. Very happy how it all turned out. Any questions don't hesitate. Here you go @BlueBottle look above posts, should answer all your possible questions. Hope this helps everyone.

I feel like I took a risk and it paid off big time. Now everyone knows. You can very easily mount flush squadrons in your rear bumper very easily and not have to cut any metal if you don't want to.

Jim LE 1301 and ColoradoTJ like this.
  27. Aug 29, 2018 at 7:44 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Oh yeah almost forgot a tool along with your cutting wheel to cut the plastic you need a drill to drill the holes for mounting bolts. Since it's all plastic it all cuts and drills very easily and quick.

Jim LE 1301 likes this.
  28. Aug 29, 2018 at 7:47 PM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
    Wow great job! Looks great. Thanks for sharing.

29. Aug 29, 2018 at 7:49 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Sorry for bad pics, it was the only ones I took real quick getting home from football late. If anyone wants any pic in particular let me know and I'll get it for you.

30. Aug 29, 2018 at 7:55 PM
    mgm16trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 mgm trd pro crewmax
    Thank you sir, hopefully this can help on yours if u choose to go same route. As always guys any questions don't hesitate.

Products Discussed in

To Top