1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

***UPDATE***Tech12volts door and/or dash speaker group buy.-valid through 2/28/19

Discussion in 'Deals & Group Buys' started by Pudge, Jan 30, 2019.

1. May 25, 2019 at 3:53 PM
    apwisher

apwisher New Member

Member:
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 CM SR5/TRD 4x4 White
    canopy, TRD Sway, audio
    Hey, just a follow-up here. I did the door/dash buy and have/had everything running through and Kenwood H/U and Alpine 5ch amp +10" sub. I hooked the dash speakers to the front channel out on the H/U, and used the pre-amp outs for the doors/amp/sub.
    Last week I was driving along, and it sounded like the H/U amp went kaput, since I was getting buzzing/static from the dash speakers. I checked the speakers by popping in the old set in the dash and they sounded bad as well. I also checked the wiring, which seemed fine. In other words, I'm pretty sure I fried the H/U internal amp circuit even though it was only pushing the dash speakers. I called up Crutchfield (supplier) and they are sending me a new H/U (upgrade actually) and hopefully that will fix it up.
    My question here is this: Is there any scenario I have something hooked up wrong in the dash speakers that would cause this, as I don't want a repeat. I used all new wiring to the speakers and installed everything as supplied. I know if you have the wrong OHM setup, it can really tax an amp, but I don't think two small dash speaker and two center tweeters have that kind of oomph.
    just wanted to check my bases before I slap the new H/U in. Somewhat interestingly, Crutchfield has pulled all of the Kenwood DMX905S Receivers from their store, and no longer offers that model or any other similar models. Maybe there was an issue, who knows.
    Thanks for any ideas.

2. May 25, 2019 at 4:48 PM
    Pudge

Pudge [OP] Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Yikes that's scary. I'm running a kenwood too and doing the same thing as you as far as using it to power power the dash speakers. It really should be fine. Sounds like you just got unlucky or a wire shorted out. That really sucks man

3. May 25, 2019 at 4:57 PM
    apwisher

apwisher New Member

Member:
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 CM SR5/TRD 4x4 White
    canopy, TRD Sway, audio
    Yeah, who knows. It sounded great for a few months before that.

4. Jun 12, 2019 at 11:23 PM
    Mkpw24

Mkpw24 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black TRD Sport
    This is the exact same issue I am having. Were you able to figure out what the cause and fix? Please let me know. Thanks

5. Jun 25, 2019 at 7:45 PM
    UTLonghorn

UTLonghorn New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax SR5
    Same here. Just did an install and have checked every connection twice. Stadium 5 amp. It is completely random. I'm using stock speakers everywhere except the sub.

6. Jun 26, 2019 at 1:53 PM
    james@tech12volts

james@tech12volts tech12volts.com INNOVATIONS IN AUDIO ! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    james
    i am on the phone with JBL right now . I think they have a batch of amps that are bad. I will update everyone once i get done talking with them

7. Jun 27, 2019 at 11:33 AM
    james@tech12volts

james@tech12volts tech12volts.com INNOVATIONS IN AUDIO ! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    james
    nah no popcorn is needed at all. My company does not manufacture the amp . But we do care about our customers and we see a pattern of something we call the manufacturer on it as there has to be an issue with the product for so many to be doing the same thing . the amp is being used in a manner that it was intended and is shutting down so we want to know WHY its doing that

8. Jun 27, 2019 at 12:49 PM
    JTL

JTL New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
    '17 MGM Platinum
    Trd CAI, Trd Dual Exhaust, ESP Locking storage, Center Console Safe, Trd Rear Sway Bar, BFG Ko2, Pioneer Avic 8400nex, Husky Liners, 19 Trd Headlights, iHacker Harness, Tech12Volts Sub Upgrade
    No DSP needed with aftermarket HU!

Migraine likes this.
  9. Jun 28, 2019 at 8:17 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Sell the dsp, someone here will bite for sure, and get a kenwood, you won't regret it Margaret.

Migraine likes this.
  10. Jun 28, 2019 at 8:25 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    One piece of advice is don't spend extra on something with navigation. Just use your phone via android auto or CarPlay for navigation. And unless you absolutely can't like without wireless android auto or CarPlay then save the money and get the wired version. From what I hear the sound quality is better and fewer bugs by ditching the wireless feature.

JTL likes this.
  11. Jun 28, 2019 at 8:36 PM
    JTL

JTL New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
    '17 MGM Platinum
    Trd CAI, Trd Dual Exhaust, ESP Locking storage, Center Console Safe, Trd Rear Sway Bar, BFG Ko2, Pioneer Avic 8400nex, Husky Liners, 19 Trd Headlights, iHacker Harness, Tech12Volts Sub Upgrade
    I would make a list of what you need and dont need and work your way down the list of models. The big ones would be android auto/apple car play, wireless versions of those two, navigation or not, capacitive screen(like our phones or tablets tou verse resistive
    I think Pudge is dead-on with this. Navigation is a waste unless you do long trips out in the boonies, and even then not necessary. If you have android you cant even do wireless unless you have one of the 4 phones that have it. Personally, and I did quite a bit of research, I would go with Kenwood or Pioneer. Alpine has a few good options but theyre display quality is quite poor, especially for the price.

12. Jun 28, 2019 at 8:53 PM
    JTL

JTL New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
    '17 MGM Platinum
    Kenwood uses Garmin as their factory loaded navigation IF you choose to get a unit with nav. Since you use android wireless isnt necessary unless you want to wait god knows how long till its available for us Samsung users (I have an S8 and am losing patience). Most, but not all, will have a front facing camera jack in addition to your plugnplay backup camera so just check the specs on the models you look at.

Migraine likes this.
  13. Jun 28, 2019 at 8:54 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    You also need a maestro RR with to2 harness, antenna adapter, usb/aux adapter, xm/sat cable if you want that too, and a dash kit metra or scosche, I think the scoche comes in piano gloss black which looks better than the silver metra kit that I have. Those parts plus maestro will be about $200ish if you shop around. That leaves at least a grand for a head unit and you can find a very nice kenwood for less than that

Migraine and JTL like this.
  14. Jun 28, 2019 at 8:58 PM
    JTL

JTL New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
    '17 MGM Platinum
    I used black brushed steel vinyl for the metra piece and it looks and fits good. Most do say that the scosche is better quality and fit though but crutchfield only sells the metra for some reason20190601_112335.jpg

Migraine likes this.
  15. Jun 28, 2019 at 9:15 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    https://www.crutchfield.com/cart/default.aspx just a rough idea. But if you buy components elsewhere you can score some deals. I'd bet around $800 ~with a good kenwood. I read somewhere here alone had a pretty nice CarPlay headunit out that's dirt cheap and is compatible with their "power pack amps. Which makes wiring very easy.

Migraine likes this.
  16. Jun 28, 2019 at 9:20 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    That looks great! Maybe I'll wrap mine too.

Migraine likes this.
  17. Jun 28, 2019 at 9:20 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
  18. Jun 28, 2019 at 9:23 PM
    JTL

JTL New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
    '17 MGM Platinum
    Thanks. I wrapped the ac control too so theyd match. My only problem is that i covered the stickers and lights associated with the buttons. I wouldnt be able to tell when the recycle is on or off except for how hard the air is blowing

19. Jun 28, 2019 at 9:28 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Got any pics? You have me very Intrigued. Not that I need another project. Just this week I find my first ever vinyl wrapping.
    Tail lights, 3rd brake light, b pillar from satin to gloss and pro grill insert

20190626_170249.jpg
    20190625_222547.jpg
    20190625_144900.jpg

20. Jun 28, 2019 at 9:33 PM
    JTL

JTL New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
    '17 MGM Platinum
    I have been watching your upgrades and they look awesome! I will be following suit soon on all of those!

20190628_213057.jpg
    20190628_213126.jpg

Migraine likes this.
  21. Jun 28, 2019 at 9:40 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I think that looks great. You can make out the functions okay, probably could cut out the led light area if you wanted. But it actually looks fine like that.
    If you do wrap your tail light, you could try 1 piece but it's a bitch to do. Definitely cut the piece much bigger than the light. The little fins are impossible IMO. The back area is very simple cuz its flat. The side is tough cuz of the round areas, fins, and you need to stretch the vinyl in different directions. If I did it over again I would do 2 pieces. One in the back starting from near the tailgate and work around. Other piece start near the bedside and work back to the tailgate. Where they meet in the middle just overlap them and cut a straight line. With the seem in the right place you'll never see it.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    JTL[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. Jun 29, 2019 at 4:29 PM
    JTL

JTL New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
    '17 MGM Platinum
    This is great advice! I have some time before I will do this, but a great reference for the future! Thanks Pudge!!

Pudge[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  23. Aug 21, 2019 at 7:18 AM
    purplenova

purplenova Not a new member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax SR5
    Pillar Tape, Bullet Liner, 20% Tint, Tyger Star Armor Kenwood amp & AudioControl LC7i Tech12volts JL Tweeters

Question - I know its way late for the group buy but I was wondering if anyone has updated their dash speakers only with these
    and are still using the Entune HU?

24. Aug 22, 2019 at 3:19 PM
    mtlmlta182

mtlmlta182 Breathe and take it in...

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '18 Cement SR5
    6112/5160 & +2 Shackle. 295/70R18 Falkens, Predator Tube Steps, Debadged, Pro Grille, Blackout, Tech12volts full audio package, DD 8" SS, Clazzio Leather Covers, LED lights
    Yes, I purchased all speakers on the GB (4-doors, 3-dash). I have only replaced the dash so far with the stock HU and much better sound! The highs cut out sometimes on high volume but i believe that is due to bad EQ which will get remedied with the door speakers and sub addition.

25. Aug 22, 2019 at 4:58 PM
    purplenova

purplenova Not a new member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax SR5
    Pillar Tape, Bullet Liner, 20% Tint, Tyger Star Armor Kenwood amp & AudioControl LC7i Tech12volts JL Tweeters
    Thx for the reply. I just added the line out converter and amp with sub and was considering new dash speakers next.

26. Aug 22, 2019 at 9:49 PM
    PNW_Husky

PNW_Husky New Member

Member:
    Great Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CM Platinum
    Sean, what vinyl did you use for the taillights?

27. Aug 22, 2019 at 9:53 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I got some 3M smoke black film from Vvivid vinyl on Amazon. Was under $15 I think. They have other colors, matte finish, darker smoke but I like this tint, not too dark but dark enough to make a difference in appearance
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01KGKIGEK?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

28. Sep 2, 2019 at 3:45 PM
    Fire123

Fire123 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    2015 White 1794 Edition
    7" BDS w/ Fox, Fuel Wheels
    New member but for some time have been reading a lot of very helpful and very informative posts.
    Luv my 2015 1794 edition but despise the stock sound system. Want to keep the stock HU but want to upgrade all speaker including sub and amp if feasible. I see that "James" is the man and mentioned with high regards. What is the best way to contact him or his company?
    Thank for all the help

29. Sep 2, 2019 at 4:18 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Shoot him an email

tech12volt@gmail.com

30. Sep 3, 2019 at 9:16 AM
    G2G

G2G New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Platinum Tundra
    Just had my components installed last week. I installed the sub from the group by but the speakers, amp and dsr1 I had a friend who owns his own shop do the install. Very happy and wow it sounds great. Thanks you very much for running these group buys!!!

To Top