1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Undercoating: krown vs ziebart vs the rest

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Yota18, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Oct 15, 2019 at 3:18 PM
    OBXTundra

OBXTundra Member

Member:
    Southeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan Armada, 4x4
    It could have been 12 cans. I know it was a full unopened case.

lewi3069[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Oct 15, 2019 at 3:30 PM
    longbedlife

longbedlife New Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCLB
    I had great luck with the Amsoil HD on my previous Tundra. Very much looking forward to coating the underside of my new truck with it as soon as it arrives. I'm definitely going to be more aggressive with the application of it this time though. After 3 years of salty roads the areas that I sprayed the most on my old truck were still pristine but the areas I skipped or only got lightly were really starting to show surface rust. Pretty much everything but the exhaust and brakes are getting a coat this time.

Pudge and lewi3069 like this.
  3. Oct 15, 2019 at 4:01 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    This stuff right here seems to be the current leader for DIY rust prevention. I use fluid film and have for years, I have 5 gallons of it so I will continue to use it.....BUT if I were just starting out with treating my truck I would go amsoil HD metal protector or the similar product made by CRC. It does not wash off as easy as fluid film and lasts longer.
    It's more expensive and IMO a little more labor intensive to apply but it seems like a fair trade considering the results and longevity. You want something waxy or oily, even plain old wax or oil is better than most "undercarriage sprays". I still will recommend fluid film or woolwax to anyone who wants to treat their truck or farm equipment, but now will share my knowledge of the amsoil spray

WFD473, Luckydog and OBXTundra like this.
  4. Oct 15, 2019 at 4:06 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    I respectfully disagree that fluid film doesnt creep into cracks. I apply it after warming it up and it flows everywhere in spray near and then some. It does a very good job of finding it's way into cracks, nooks, and crannies. I have used it for years with very good results.
    It does require resprays and touch ups at times and some areas of the truck it washes off easier than I would like from road spray but for the money, ease of use and outstanding results I have gotten, I'll keep using it.

plumber802 and OBXTundra like this.
  5. Oct 15, 2019 at 4:57 PM
    ZPMAN

ZPMAN 2nd place is the 1st looser

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Platinum Supercharged
    4" lift, 35s, Magnuson Supercharger
    I did exactly the same with Amsoil and still holding up great, it also is preventing my rear from leaking (no leaks yet).

Pudge likes this.
  6. Oct 16, 2019 at 6:56 PM
    cmb46

cmb46 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra
    Has anyone done the line-x undercoating?

7. Oct 16, 2019 at 8:24 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    A buddy of mind has it on his Chevy 1500, had them do it when he did the truck bed and was done right after purchase new. It's been 3ish years and I don't think he has had issues. I remember looking at it and thinking its going to trap water and rot without being seen, so who knows how its actually doing.

OBXTundra likes this.
  8. Oct 17, 2019 at 7:57 AM
    Alexstundra

Alexstundra Not a new member

Member:
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM DC Trd
    3-1 level kit with add a leaf. 295/70/18r cooper max. Spider head light tail light and third brake light, tint, badges off, ladder racks, trd pro grill, color matched hood bulge, grab handle,coach builder +2, dv8 front bumper with winch, fender flares, bed cover....
    F ziebart plain and simple. Atleast the one by me.

9. Oct 17, 2019 at 2:20 PM
    cmb46

cmb46 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra
    Line x told me they spray on a anti rust spray that gets into all cracks then they spray on a line x coat of some sort on the bottom of the truck. I am really interested in it but finding reviews is difficult.

10. Oct 17, 2019 at 5:18 PM
    OBXTundra

OBXTundra Member

Member:
    Southeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan Armada, 4x4
    I would not use anything like bedliner or paint to encapsulate my frame. Like others have said, it will only hide the problem. It will trap moisture behind the coating. All potentially allowing the frame to rust from the inside out.

Even rubberized undercoating is a thing of the past, for that exact reason. It just traps and hides.

FirstGenVol, classiccat and Pudge like this.
  11. Oct 17, 2019 at 7:58 PM
    WFD473

WFD473 Long Live The V8

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northeast Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM SR5 CM 4x4
    How many cans do you think would be enough?

OBXTundra likes this.
  12. Oct 17, 2019 at 8:42 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I hear anywhere from 3 to 6 cans. It all depends on how involved you wanna get and how thick (aka 1 coat vs 2 coats) you apply it. I tend to over do it, I used a gallon of fluid film on my truck, most say 1-2 quarts is enough. I would buy at least 6 cans, maybe see if you can get a deal on a case of 12. There was a member here saying he is a dealer for amsoil and he had some good bulk pricing.

WFD473[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Oct 18, 2019 at 5:01 AM
    OBXTundra

OBXTundra Member

Member:
    Southeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan Armada, 4x4
    The Tundra took 4 cans, 1 heavy coat followed by a lighter coat the following day to hit any dry spots.
    I just coated the underside of our new Armada. I went with 1 really heavy coat and then a few hours later I went and made a 2nd pass on bare/light spots. This was 3 full cans. I will get back under there in a week or so and use 1 additional can.

If you are going to do 2 true heavy coats I would say 4-6 cans.

14. Oct 18, 2019 at 6:06 AM
    WFD473

WFD473 Long Live The V8

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northeast Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM SR5 CM 4x4
    Got it. Thanks fellas. Any prep I need to do? I have a 2014 that has surface rust on it. It's been up in this climate since new.

15. Oct 18, 2019 at 6:11 AM
    Luckydog

Luckydog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dominic
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD Offroad.
    Ranch Hand Summit front and rear bumpers. Diamondback SE tonneau cover. Rigid DOT fogs. LED headlight/fog replacement bulbs. Matt Gecko hood, and bed LED's. Foot well led's, and interior LED buld replacement. (warm) Broke the front shock of the 3" spacer lift, so replaced with 6112/5160 and 1' block rear. KO 2's. Speaker replacement, added amp and (2) 10's under seat. Weathertech floor mats. Salex organizers. Ziebart undercoating. RCI front, transmission/diff, and gas tank skids received, waiting for spring install. Compustar remote starter. front/rear dash cam.
    The more prep you put in the better the long term result will be. If you sand, paint, then spay with FF it’s probably the best protection. Spraying with no prep is better than nothing. I kep a can in my truck to hit up random areas when I notice rust. Like the brackets under the seats.

WFD473 likes this.
  16. Oct 18, 2019 at 6:25 AM
    OBXTundra

OBXTundra Member

Member:
    Southeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan Armada, 4x4
    My F250 was similar, some surface rust, but no pitting or scaling. Here's what I did.
    -Wire brush and sand anything obvious.
    -Get a spray bottle and a gallon of Ospho. Spray anything that looks like rust. Getting it on good metal is fine too. Let dry for 24 hours.
    -Hit everything with a heavy coat of Amsoil MPHD. Go back the next day and hit again with a lighter coat.

I've used Ospho for years on rusty metal, nothing stops rust better, and nothing promotes adhesion to rusty metal better. You could just spray the Amsoil over the surface rust, I personally wouldn't

17. Oct 18, 2019 at 7:03 AM
    WFD473

WFD473 Long Live The V8

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northeast Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM SR5 CM 4x4
    Great info. Thanks!!

18. Oct 18, 2019 at 7:25 AM
    68 RS/SS

68 RS/SS New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MIke
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Sport DC
    NH oil undercoating, I had my truck done a week ago for $140

Luckydog likes this.
  19. Nov 3, 2019 at 4:50 AM
    kjbula

kjbula New Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC Pyrite Mica TRD SR5
    I've used FF by the gallon the past few years. The spray gun with wand is nice to get into the nooks and crannies. However, it seems to wash off too easy and I just don't have the time to do multiple coats every year. It stays wet, I believe this is why it washes off so easily.

I ordered a case of Amsoil MPHD yesterday because of this thread and other reviews on the web. Some reported that it dries to a waxy film after only 8 hrs. On another forum, a guy described it as being 90% dry and pressure washing did not remove it.

I hope to get this on by next weekend, I should've done it a month ago. Snow is flying already here in Northeast Ohio.

OBXTundra and Pudge like this.
  20. Nov 3, 2019 at 4:57 AM
    Luckydog

Luckydog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dominic
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD Offroad.
    Ranch Hand Summit front and rear bumpers. Diamondback SE tonneau cover. Rigid DOT fogs. LED headlight/fog replacement bulbs. Matt Gecko hood, and bed LED's. Foot well led's, and interior LED buld replacement. (warm) Broke the front shock of the 3" spacer lift, so replaced with 6112/5160 and 1' block rear. KO 2's. Speaker replacement, added amp and (2) 10's under seat. Weathertech floor mats. Salex organizers. Ziebart undercoating. RCI front, transmission/diff, and gas tank skids received, waiting for spring install. Compustar remote starter. front/rear dash cam.
    I wonder if amsoil will stick on top of FF. Anyone have any experience?

Pudge likes this.
  21. Nov 3, 2019 at 6:58 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Just based on what I have seen out of both products, you'd wanna put down the amsoil first, then maybe fluid film over that a day or 2 later. I think the fluid film would prevent the amsoil fron bonding to the metal

22. Nov 3, 2019 at 8:20 AM
    ZPMAN

ZPMAN 2nd place is the 1st looser

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Platinum Supercharged
    4" lift, 35s, Magnuson Supercharger
    I did the Amsoil MPHD last year and am very happy with it, right now in the process of changing out my gears and like the way it set up and not being wet.

23. Nov 3, 2019 at 9:06 AM
    Oznog

Oznog New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra TRD DC 4x4
    Corrosion Free product offers DIY kits . It kept the undercarriage of my 13 Ram rust free for 7 salt state winters. New Tundra is up next. Corrosionfree.com

Pudge likes this.
  24. Nov 3, 2019 at 5:31 PM
    classiccat

classiccat New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Limited SuperWhite
    I've adopted an approach using both FF & Amsoil.
    - Crawl under the truck for a thorough undercarriage wash using Salt-Away (I did this in the spring as well).
    - Drive it on the highway for a few miles to dry things out...may need to hit some hidden areas with compressed air.
    - Eat some pulled pork while watching some football.
    - Amsoil MP on exposed areas like frame rails, spare tire / assy, hitch receiver, leaf springs, body mounts.
    - Fluid film in body panels, rockers, etc. using their undercoating kit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Nov 3, 2019 at 7:19 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I like it, I think I will adopt this approach moving forward. It really makes sense to use both products. I definitely will give my truck a good undercarriage wash in the spring, while noting where the FF had washed off and where it remains intact. then in the fall I will get some amsoil to apply to the areas that I found the fluid film washes off from road spray. I already notice its thin on the frame in the wheel wells and a few other spots, thus is where I'll use the Amsoil. Then a week later I'll do my normal FF full spray including over the amsoil ,because why not?

classiccat[QUOTED] and kjbula like this.
  26. Nov 3, 2019 at 7:27 PM
    MaxThurst27

MaxThurst27 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD PRO Voodoo Blue!
    Now that's cheap. I got quoted from 300 to 400 for nh oil.

Found place to do great lakes undercoating. 3 step process keeping car overnight for $250 per car. Doing 3. 9 year warranty.

Pudge likes this.
  27. Nov 3, 2019 at 7:29 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    9 year warranty on a single 3 step application? No yearly touchup? What is this stuff? Sounds too good to be true but if it's legit $250 for 9, or even 5 years of coverage is a sick deal

28. Nov 3, 2019 at 7:36 PM
    MaxThurst27

MaxThurst27 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Vehicle:
    2 year check ups. Reapply if needed.
    They powered washed the undercarriage and let it dry over night.
    Spray a golden color fluid everywhere.
    Then go over with some black fluid to cover the golden color.

Price was $399 but owner offered $249 if we did all 3.
    Says he doesn't do that many due to people leasing in Detroit.

Smells like crap though.

29. Nov 3, 2019 at 7:43 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Pretty sweet, I really hope it works out for you, sounds intriguing and possibly promising. What is the name of the stuff? What's it look like? Oily or does it dry? One of my buddies had his truck done with linex undercoat and I'm really leary that its gonna go south once water gets under the coating, which is inevitable. As far as a foul smelling golden colored spray...that sounds like fluid film or woolwax, but I'm hoping that's not what they used, if it is I'm curious as to what the put over the top of it. Keep us posted please

30. Nov 3, 2019 at 7:50 PM
    MaxThurst27

MaxThurst27 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Vehicle:

https://youtu.be/rVA1ZoT2dOQ

This is the stuff they used. Near the end you can see the stuff dried to a black color.

Pudge[QUOTED] likes this.
To Top