1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tundra window broke by thieves

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by 462, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Jan 19, 2021 at 1:37 PM
    L_S_SHOE

L_S_SHOE New Member

Member:
    SE Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2021 MGM TRD Pro
    Sorry OP. I've been there. They once tried to get into my F-150 at 930 pm by pelting it with handfuls of rocks. No joke. They cracked a window but couldn't actually make it inside the vehicle. They also seriously messed up the door panels.

It would have been better if they'd just broken the dang window.

2. Jan 19, 2021 at 2:34 PM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    Yep, I will never use them again. My daughter had her windshield replaced because the previous one was not sealed properly. They charged her like $250 to adjust sensors and would not honor the quote we got on their website. My insurance agent recommends Glass Doctor. Other then a neighborhood wide theft of spare tires we have not had any problems in my neighborhood. We are on 1+ acre lots. One night they got my floor jack, a couple of $5 bills, scratched sunglasses, and a 12v compressor. They left behind a 30' tow strap, $15+ in quarters, CDs, and 2 knives. All worth more then what they took. Compressor is worthless to them without specialized power cord.

3. Jan 19, 2021 at 2:37 PM
    preacher35

preacher35 RIGHTEOUS MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Platinum Crewmax 4x4
    Actually, no you will not.
    https://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=5278638&page=1

4. Jan 19, 2021 at 4:15 PM

462 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blue Tundra XP
    Thanks for all your replies. I definitely will be asking for OEM glass. Insurance is recommending Gerber Collision and Glass to fix it. Anyone have any experience with this franchise? The local one has excellent reviews.

5. Jan 19, 2021 at 5:32 PM
    JcGc

JcGc New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Crewmax 4x4
    4/2 Ready lift Kenda Klever 35 x 12.50 x 20 XF Off road wheels
    I have a feeling things are only going to get worse. There is nothing holding people accountable for their actions anymore. I put people in jail for crap like this, and the judge lets them out. People are not being held responsible --- it's everyone else's fault he / she broke into your truck.

I would use genuine Toyota glass, but I'm just anal when it comes to things like that.

6. Jan 19, 2021 at 9:54 PM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    Well that's Texas, do it in NC your going to jail. You better have plenty of money and a great lawyer. I hope I never have to shoot anyone, but I can tell ya it won't be for someone breaking into my Tundra.:cool:

7. Jan 20, 2021 at 2:46 AM
    preacher35

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Oh, I would not want to have to shoot anyone either. I have had to draw my sidearm three times in my life, with the intention of using it and luckily, all three incidences ended peacefully.... probably due to the fact of my sidearm being drawn. That being said, if I were to walk out of my house, late at night and find someone rummaging through my Tundra, I cannot say that I would not shoot. Every scenario is different. I would certainly draw my weapon, as I have no idea if the guilty party is armed. I also have no idea, what said party will do once they see my drawn weapon. Now, if they were running away, with their back to me, no, I would not shoot. But, I am 51 years old, and the world has turned upside down. People, situations and motives are not predictable.

8. Jan 20, 2021 at 3:15 AM
    sourdough44

sourdough44 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    There was a guy on another forum had his window broke at a hotel in Amarillo, TX, seemed like an ok area. He had an out of state plate, they took a few tools. I’m sure a gun is high on the list.

Tough parking in a lot of areas, especially when trying to sleep.

9. Jan 20, 2021 at 6:16 AM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Seasoned Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR
    ....or you could simply walk back to the house and call the police. Taking someone's life because they were stealing items from your truck is something your going to have to live with for the rest of your life.

10. Jan 20, 2021 at 6:45 AM
    AircoolerKirk

AircoolerKirk Old School VW Nut

Member:
    Allen, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic Gray Metallic 2017 Tundra TSS 4wd

I was going to say, not in Texas. I would hate to use deadly force to defend property, but I would. I did have to draw my weapon on a pair of would be trailer thieves one time and if they hadn't had a change of mind, I'm not sure what would have happened. I don't want to take a life, but I need my trailer and I don't want to be their victim.

Sometimes knowing they can be shot is a good enough deterrent.

To OP - sorry about your window. That really really sucks.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    GODZILLA likes this.
  11. Jan 20, 2021 at 6:55 AM
    bill_will

bill_will New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax SR5
    Ugh sorry man... having something stolen and/or vandalized like that is such a crappy feeling.

Took a road trip to buy tires off a fellow forum member this past weekend and stayed at a hotel on the way back. I ended up stuffing the truck with all 4 tires just to be safe but was considering bring them into the room with me too.

12. Jan 20, 2021 at 12:18 PM
    preacher35

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Never said I would take someone's life for "stealing items". I do not want to take anybody's life. I'm sure that in your world, you might be able to simply walk back in the house, call the police, wait patiently, and hope that the situation goes away by itself. I'm sorry, my friend, I cannot be that passive. I have a right to defend my family, home and property.

Jman245, don3032, GODZILLA and 4 others like this.
  13. Jan 20, 2021 at 1:23 PM
    TXTundra2722

TXTundra2722 Pipe Hitters Union

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra
    Preach it preacher!
    :quickdraw:

2mchfun and preacher35[QUOTED] like this.
  14. Jan 20, 2021 at 1:37 PM
    Ruggybuggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR
    If you have a gun in your hand and your confronting there's a chance you may end up killing someone. If you can live with that all the power to you. Now if you retreated and the person in your truck is threatening you or your family. You do what you have to do but something that is insured and can be replaced doesn't justify a life taking and the coincidences that follow.

TaquitoBandito and Leo's first like this.
  15. Jan 20, 2021 at 2:03 PM
    L_S_SHOE

L_S_SHOE New Member

Member:
    SE Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2021 MGM TRD Pro
    It's a difficult subject. Although the use of deadly force to defend personal property may sound reasonable and even be legal depending on where you live, there is still civil liability to consider. And remember, these are just trucks. They can be easily replaced, as can the property inside. In the absence of a threat of bodily harm, I would be hard pressed to use deadly force (I'm not referring to home invasion). It has nothing to do with being passive.

16. Jan 20, 2021 at 2:14 PM
    equin

equin Texarican Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Sky DC SR5 5.7L 4x4 TSS Package
    TRD Rear Anti-sway bar, TRD Pro skid plate, Bedrug bed mat, 17" Icon Rebounds, 315/70/17 BFG AT/K02, Bilstein 6112s front (for now), Fox 2.5 Remote Reservoirs rear, Diamondback SE, Dirtydeeds Industries 8" stainless BAMuffler, aFe dry air filter, TRD air intake accelerator
    Same thing happened to me while visiting my wife’s family in Houston. They broke the rear driver side window and got a diaper bag of all things. I forget who replaced the glass, but it was some national chain - the only place that answered the phone and was willing to fit me in at my earliest convenience. I think it cost about $200-250 if I remember correctly. That was over a year ago. They did a good job and got all the tiny broken pieces of glass from within the door panel.

17. Jan 20, 2021 at 2:32 PM
    Bradleybb

Bradleybb New Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2021 CM TRD OR
    Transmission cooler TRD REAR SWAY RCI front skid
    OEM glass only , Duluth safe during day, stay away after sunset high crime

18. Jan 20, 2021 at 2:34 PM
    preacher35

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    As I stated, I do not want to have to shoot anybody. BUT, if I walk out my door and find a stranger/s breaking into my vehicle, I would rather be armed, than unarmed. If the thief attempts to turn their attention to harming me, then that is the choice that they make. Sadly, there seems to be so little regard for human life nowadays. I remember, a few years ago, some poor woman was shot and killed in North Houston, when she walked outside one night and found men breaking into her car. She was unarmed. The suspects, jumped into their vehicle to flea the scene and as they were driving away, they SHOT AND KILLED HER. You and I are on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to personal defense. And I am no way trying to criticize you for your views. But, in such a scenario, yes, I would have to live with the consequences: I am still alive.

19. Jan 20, 2021 at 2:38 PM
    preacher35

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Oh, and OP, sorry about the thread jack. Sucks about your truck, but glad you are ok!

Astom22 and Ruggybuggy like this.
  20. Jan 20, 2021 at 2:56 PM
    19TurdPro

19TurdPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Pro
    Devil's advocate here, could it be argued in court that leaving your 9mm unsecured could be considered negligence on your part, thus creating the threat?

21. Jan 20, 2021 at 3:11 PM
    TXTundra2722

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra
    We get it..... you've made it clear how you feel
    :thumbsup:

22. Jan 20, 2021 at 3:14 PM
    Jack McCarthy

Jack McCarthy Truck repair enthusiast; Rust Aficionado

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    North of Boston
    Vehicle:
    02 Tundra AC SR5 V8 4x4
    Man that sucks, sorry to hear. I only wish you could shoot someone here in MA for theft\vandalism. I’ve had my vehicle vandalized several times myself.

A buddy of mine had his stereo stolen in Boston on 3 separate occasions. The 3rd time he tack welded razor blades to the bottom of his stereo and they later caught the guy at the hospital getting treated for it. The guy went to jail, but he was able to sue my friend for his medical bills and won. Sometimes you lose no matter what you do.

Good luck, hope they catch the guy breaking into someone else’s vehicle since he’ll most likely do it again.

23. Jan 20, 2021 at 3:22 PM

462 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blue Tundra XP
    OEM glass goes in on Friday afternoon. Local place, but it's where the local Toyota dealer recommends and does all it's glass business. Plus it has a very good reputation otherwise as well.

smokey0810, JcGc and GODZILLA like this.
  24. Jan 20, 2021 at 4:16 PM
    Ruggybuggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR
    If your defending yourself that's a different story. I have guns in my house and live in a rural area. If someone was going through my truck in the garage I would call the police then get my gun out. Come to the house and threaten me or the family I would have no problem defending myself but I wouldn't take the gun to the garage looking for a confrontation. To me it's just not worth the memory in you head watching someone die.

25. Jan 20, 2021 at 4:18 PM
    Ruggybuggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NW ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra OR
    It's a debate and a great way to see both sides. :thumbsup:

Sorry for the detail OP but we all suspected this might start a debate over lethal use of force.

Astom22 likes this.
  26. Jan 21, 2021 at 10:41 AM
    Jernik

Jernik New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Tundra Crewmax
    I personally feel thieves should be purged from society. There are few character traits that are more worthless in my eyes than a damn thief. What value do they bring to the table? They are a drain on society.

As for taking a life over items, remember, a thief is not only stealing items. They are stealing part of YOUR life.

Let me explain. How do you pay for the items a thief steals from you? If you're like most of us, you have traded part of your life (time) being somewhere you'd rather not be, away from the people you'd rather be spending time with, doing things you'd rather not do, in exchange for the money you use to purchase things. So every item you own does not simply cost money - it costs you the minutes/hours of your life that you'll never get back. That is why I feel theft is not the petty crime many make it out to be.

27. Jan 21, 2021 at 10:50 AM
    19TurdPro

19TurdPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Pro

How much time, justified or not, do you reckon you'd spend in court for shooting someone over petty theft?

TaquitoBandito and Ruggybuggy like this.
  28. Jan 21, 2021 at 11:12 AM
    Jernik

Jernik New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Tundra Crewmax
    That's a decision everyone has to make on their own. Some people are stubborn and willing to go to great lengths to prove a point, others not so much. Some value life (any life) more than others. The value of making society better by eliminating a thief vs personal moral values vs value of time spent in court will vary by individual.

I can't honestly say if I'd actually choose to kill a man for breaking into my truck or not. I've never caught someone in the act. But I would definitely support convicted thieves being air dropped into the middle of Antarctica with only a lightweight jacket and a book of matches.

On Edit: perhaps my thinking is harsh. Maybe some on here have been thieves at one point and have since become better people. In which case maybe my opinion leaves no room for second chances. All I know is I get up every day and go to work to earn my way. I respect other people's property and would like to think others reciprocate; but we know that's not the case.

I don't take what's not mine. I don't even consider it. So it really disturbs me that I can't leave my home without needing to set the alarm. I have to make sure nothing of value is left in my vehicle, and I have to be sure I lock the doors. I have to wonder if my Amazon package will be on my porch when I get home. I have to wonder if my mail will even be delivered securely. I have to consider purchasing skid plates to protect my exhaust, tailgate locks, wheel locks, security cameras, and yes, guns. Our neighborhood is currently paying for a license plate reader at the entrance because wheel/tailgate/vehicle thefts are getting bad in our area (not just our subdivision). It sucks, and it totally erodes my (and other's) faith in people being decent. It makes me distrust my fellow man, and it makes me less hospitable.

Alright, I'm off the soapbox now. Hope the OP gets his truck fixed without any further issues.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    TWJLee, monaco730, GODZILLA and 5 others like this.
  29. Jan 21, 2021 at 12:14 PM
    Navi

Navi New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax Limited
    Sorry this happened OP. I live in Atlanta (north side) and i hate to hear about this happening to anyone.

30. Jan 21, 2021 at 4:16 PM
    TXTundra2722

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra
    I like your thinking.....I feel that we need to bring public hanging back.... but that's probably not really a popular thing to say in this day and age anymore!
    :anonymous:

preacher35 and Jernik[QUOTED] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top