1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tundra and Cummins?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Thee_Oddball, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Aug 22, 2018 at 11:21 AM
    speckmon

speckmon Must. Have. Pow.

Member:
    Thornton, CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 mountain road bomber
    that picture should come with a change of shorts

2. Aug 22, 2018 at 11:22 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    My insurance did not change but 5.00 per month, and that makes sense with going 4 years newer and a considerable amount in cost. It is more money though.

Registration will be more, it’s worth more. So like you said, it costs more.

Being able to tow safely is a great feeling.

blue16[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Aug 22, 2018 at 11:45 AM
    easleycrawler

easleycrawler TOYOTA ADDICT- SSEM #78

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Easley, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra SR5 DC Black 5.7
  4. Aug 22, 2018 at 2:12 PM
    Patriot

Patriot Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”

:thumbsup: Exactly Chris, the eye opener is, it’s more like the diesel owns you.

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Aug 22, 2018 at 2:22 PM
    UpSteer32

UpSteer32 New Member

Member:
    The emissions on the newer diesels are actually far more reliable than the early 2007 era systems. Yes, there still is complexity involved but Toyota actually has experience dealing with those issues: their newer LC 200's and Hilux's sold overseas now have EGR and DPF's. Arguably, the addition of SCR (which is the route that North American diesel makers have gone) greatly enhances the reliability and efficiency of those 2 other emissions systems.

If Toyota is holding back on introducing a diesel to the North American market, it's not because they're incapable of ironing out the emissions issues.

The added maintenance costs aren't really a huge leap for diesel's. You shouldn't have to be replacing injectors all that often if you're fuel quality is good and you follow the recommended fuel filter maintenance schedule; they're not like spark plugs. The exhaust systems, while not without their faults, are intended to function for at least 200k-300k miles before they need replacement…and it’s really just the DPF that is a true wear item within the exhaust system.

The added annual maintenance costs for diesel mostly come from SCR, more oil to change, and fuel filters....you're probably looking at $100-$180 (depending on the engine and driving conditions) in added annual maintenance over a comparable gasoline engine.

I'm not sure what you mean by "beat." Yeah, the gasoline is faster, even up a hill. But that's not really the point behind a diesel. That 5.0 Cummins is amazing for 2 reasons:

1) it's a brand new design, DOHC 5.0l with aluminum head and CGI block (lighter than previous designs but still strong).

2) It’s an engine that fills the gap between a true 1 ton engine (like a 6.7L PS or 6.7L Cummins) and a light-duty diesel (like the 3.0l ecodiesel).

The failure, so to speak, with the 5.0l Cummins sales has less to do with the engine itself and more to do with the platform it was put in. The Nissan XD is a platform with all the size, weight and efficiency disadvantages of a 3/4 ton, but none of the advantages.

If Toyota were to go the diesel route with the Tundra, the 5.0l Cummins could work for a Tundra HD version. But for a regular Tundra, they’d likely have to go with a lighter engine for weight and efficiency reasons.

Honestly, I'm hoping Toyota at least provides the option of a diesel; let the individual consumers decide for themselves whether or not the diesel is worth their money. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    Thee_Oddball[OP] likes this.
  6. Aug 22, 2018 at 7:06 PM
    Aron9000

Aron9000 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    OBXTundra and ColoradoTJ like this.
  7. Aug 22, 2018 at 7:11 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch

So this first part is for the bold in your post:

Annual maintenance costs are really not that much more. So if I had the dealership do everything:

15K mile intervals 130.00 fuel filter (I do it myself for 30.00).

5500 mile oil changes 147.00, this also includes the DEF tank fill. (60.00 for oil and filter and 22.00 for DEF fill of 5 gallons) Not sure how much a Tundra oil change is at the dealership.

Additives are not that much, pretty much the same thing someone should use in the gas powered trucks.

The added maintenance costs I was referring to was non-scheduled due to DD a diesel.

-Turbo, depending on how you treat it, seen them go 125-200K miles, and I have also had to swap them out well under 100K miles. The variable vain turbo actuator is another story. I use the shit out of my exhaust brake, so hopefully it doesn't have any issues.
    -Injectors, same thing, depends on how you treat it. Daily driving a diesel is rough on them with the thermal cycling. I have seen them fail very early (injector driver failed).
    -Tires, diesels eat tires. Let's just talk about this for a second. My truck is at 25920 miles. At 17K miles my tires were getting so bad in the winter, they were at 5/32. Then I purchased a set of Denali wheels and tires from a take off. Ran those for 2000 miles or so and didn't like the ride or load rating on these 20's, and to get the load rating I would need, up the sizing to match the ol' F-250 20" wheels. Since I don't level or lift tow rigs, I sold them. I purchased a set of take off wheels and tires from a 17' GMC 3500 (GM doesn't offer 20's on 1 tons, only 18's) that had 4000 miles on them. Now I have put another 6k miles on these tires. So...10K miles total. I'm at 3/4 tread already. These are Michelin LTX AT2 tires. The 20's where GY wranglers, and I will most likely go with those after these craptastic tires wear out soon.

Everything else is pretty much the same. Some diesels like the Ford, fuel filters are outrageous. One is better off purchasing on-line and ship them to your doorstep. So I agree, besides tires, diesels really are not that much more, especially since the Tundra takes 7.9 qts of oil.

This section covers the underlined comment:

I'm not really sure what you mean by "that's not the point behind a diesel"... that is the whole point with a diesel. I would almost understand with the V-6 diesels, these are for MPGs. A diesel should pull hard, be more efficient and not be beat by a gas V-8 going up a pass, or why buy one? The last diesel I can remember that could get a spanking from a gas motor was when Dodge had the V-10 until 2001 when the HO motors came out. The Duramax in 2001 could be challenged by the 8.1L. Same with the Ford in 2001. The V-10 had better numbers than the powerstroke, especially if you had the auto transmission.
    So I agree to some degree about the failure being the motor was put in the wrong platform. Totally agree. That is one heavy truck. A fully loaded Titan XD is 7400 lbs, and they stick a 310HP/555tq diesel in it and expect it to perform well? Good God. My truck is 7600 lbs and is outdated now compared to the competition (445hp/910tq), and I'm at 397hp/765tq, with an exhaust break, far superior transmission and lets face it..better drive train all together....for close to the same price. Who in their right minds would spend that kind of money on a low performing, high cost 1/2 ton when you can just get a better truck elsewhere? I would visit the Titan forums, that is a good time.

You can have a Cummins 5.0L diesel now....it comes in a Titan XD.

Mike made the right choice in my opinion, and continues to do so.

8. Aug 22, 2018 at 7:25 PM
    Capt J-Rod

Capt J-Rod New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD Off Road Crew Max SR5 Tundra
    Husky Floor Mats, Diamond back lid, Coverking seat covers, More gas.
    I will bring the gift of satire to the conversation... I live in the rural midwest of Ohio. It is heavy agriculture. Kids want a diesel more than a Camaro SS or corvette. Hillbillies live and breathe the big three. It is like a religious cult. Nissan has a decent product, but as others stated it has been named a 5/8 ton around these parts. Toyota does what it does and happens to be damn good at it. I think now that Ford has announced that it is not going to build compact cars anymore, you will see Toyota R&D plow into this sector as they already dominate it along with Honda. Tundras are one model and honestly it was a leap of faith that a compact car company with a small truck division entered into the full size market. In my opinion as well as most on this forum, they build the finest 1/2 ton pick-up in the business. Hillbillies that will spend their grandparents inheritance on a truck are not loyal to the Toyotas. Most of us bought our trucks as either an up-size from a taco or due to the royal ass pounding from chevy and ford. Finally the vast majority of the pretty diesels that run my local streets are never hooked to anything and are more focused on large smokestacks and black clouds than they are making a living with a work truck. Ironically one of the major contractors in my area got rid of their ford diesels for tundras and have had practically 0 mechanical issues since. FYI they beat the living piss out of these tundras and they don't break. The market share is very small and after seeing the struggle that Nissan has had in the market I don't expect to ever see a HD diesel tundra.

9. Aug 22, 2018 at 7:44 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD

Good Lord man, thanks for that link! Exactly what I was talking about. Great read!!!!!

Quote: "The Cummins V-8 also sounds less refined in operation than its 32-valve dual-overhead-cam layout would suggest; the wavering growl that accompanied the 5.0’s clatter prompted technical director Eric Tingwall to scribble “Chewbacca is my co-pilot” in the Titan’s logbook." LMFAO

Could any of you actually put up with that kind of bullshit from a 57155.00 truck in 40000 miles? This is what I was talking about. I paid 755.00 more for a far superior truck in every way.

I worked in a diesel shop for a few years and seen plenty of bullshit. After DD two of my last diesels (pre-emissions) and they turned into total shit (they were dodges.....), there is no way in hell anyone can convince me that DD a full sized diesel truck is a good idea. What a waste...

OBXTundra likes this.
  10. Aug 23, 2018 at 4:02 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Same thing around here. Big smoke stacks and black cloulds. We also have the whistling tail pipes, too. Explains the boxes of diesel fix in all the stores front windows.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  11. Aug 23, 2018 at 4:10 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    In my city, people are getting tickets for big black clouds of soot.

You can have a tuned diesel and still not dump gobs of fuel out the tailpipe. What some people fail to realize, all the over fueling can really heat up your turbine....and cause performance issues.

I actually like not having smoke coming from my tailpipe.

I'm officially and old man after that comment.

12. Aug 23, 2018 at 4:33 AM
    OBXTundra

OBXTundra Member

Member:
    Southeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan Armada, 4x4
    The company that I worked for in PA 2008-2013 had Dodge and Chevy diesels. When I left for NC in 2013 all of the trucks were approaching 400k. Those were all really hard miles and the majority of the miles were towing large loads. All of our trucks had issues, injectors, turbos, trans, but they were assumed to be the right tool for the job. Shortly after I moved my buddy that still worked there sent me a picture of 3 new F350's 6.2L Gas trucks. Currently they have an all gas fleet.

Grumpy Uncle and ColoradoTJ like this.
  13. Aug 23, 2018 at 7:11 AM
    blue16

blue16 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    Mesa AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 tundra
    Here in Arizona you have to register a 3/4 ton and up with emissions test every year. With a half ton the first 5 years there is no emissions test past the 5 year mark you can register for two years with just one emissions test. And completely agree being able to tow safely is a great feeling.

14. Aug 23, 2018 at 7:50 AM
    UpSteer32

UpSteer32 New Member

Member:

Yep, and there are examples of Ford gassers spilling all their fluids and shutting down on the highway during TFL tests.

OEM's make mistakes, some more than others. I don't hear of many (any really) 5.0 Cummins Titan's getting stranded in my neck of the woods, thought that's not to say it can't happen.

Turbo's and injectors really don't fail that often on the diesels I've seen and driven. Follow OEM maintenance recommendations, use the exhaust brake every now and then, and those things will last a good bit of time. When those components do fail, yes I agree the costs will be high, but those items shouldn't have to be addressed all that often. If you're replacing them at shorter intervals, then maybe there is a problem with that particular OEM. I see plenty of 6.7L Cummins going 200k and well beyond with just basic maintenance.

And don't forget, with cylinder de-activation, turbo charging, HCCI and EGR technogogies being integrated into gasoline engines, repair costs will soon increase for those engines as well.

Tires can be an issue, I agree. The key is to get good quality tires (whether they're A/T's or highway oriented), do your rotations, and don't drive like an a$$hole. With the torque these newer diesels are putting out, it's real easy to wear out tires if you've got a heavy foot.

I really don't care if a gasoline can go up a hill faster than a diesel. The diesel might be somewhat slower, but it will be working more efficiently and the powertrain will be less strained than a comparable gasoline engine. The low-end torque means that you're less reliant on gear shifts and high-RPM accelerations to move a comparable load.

That's the point behind owning a diesel IMHO, but we'll have different opinions on that I suppose.

I do agree that Nissan didn't do a great job of building a platform to support that engine. It's big, heavy and cumbersome. I'm sure the diesel works well in that platform, but me personally, I'd rather get a 3/4 or 1 ton if i'm going to spend that kind of money and own a vehicle that big. I'd rather have a solid front axle on that size of vehicle too; IFS tend to become a limiting factor for vehicles of that size.

That said, there are some owners out there who like the Titan XD, especially for towing. It's just not my cup of tea.

15. Aug 23, 2018 at 7:58 AM
    Chu

Chu New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Crewmax
    Personally don't think Toyota will be able to compete in the HD market in the U.S. The mainstay already have such a loyal following, and Japs aren't known for HD equipment. However, I do think it would be great to have more light duty and SUVs with diesels, and Toyo wouldn't be new in that space. However, the popularity of diesel in the US is probably not good for them. I'm highly jealous of my brother's BMW 335D making 500tq and doing 42mpg....lol - 140k and haven't been to the dealer for anything.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  16. Aug 23, 2018 at 8:00 AM
    Capt J-Rod

Capt J-Rod New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    My buddy runs a highway construction company. They literally bled blue ford blood for 30 years. Commercial trucks don't have a warranty. After the last round of ford transmissions and diesel headaches they went to gas 6.4 rams. (two years ago) They still have had a few minor issues but no major breakdowns. The other company that went tundra are on their third set and have never lost a trans or been inside an engine. The Rams are a little light on power for a one ton but they get the job done. With all the emissions, cost of fuel, cost of DEF, Filters, and repairs a diesel is a hard thing to buy. If you tow everyday for a living then I guess its needed. I wish Hino would build a light version of their commercial trucks with a pick up bed and a crew cab. Even the big trucks are suffering from the changes. Even my buddy who is a die hard cummins ram guy who has owned 6 of them just bought a 6.4 gasser and threw in the towel. The tundra is still the truck for me.

ColoradoTJ and OBXTundra[QUOTED] like this.
  17. Aug 23, 2018 at 8:03 AM
    Capt J-Rod

Capt J-Rod New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    My buddy's gas BMW 535 just puked the water pump at 72k miles. The repair bill was $1650.00. He drove my taco while his bow was in the shop... Now he wants to buy it. He was sad when I told him its not for sale. The BMW is up for sale.lol

Chu[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Aug 23, 2018 at 9:25 AM
    JH5370

JH5370 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White DC TRD PRO
    This! I always find it funny that everyone wants to "roll coal." They have no idea what they are doing to their engine. Look at Banks for example. Their whole philosophy is clean performance. Watch their land speed record run. You don't see any black smoke.

UpSteer32 and ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] like this.
  19. Aug 23, 2018 at 9:28 AM
    JH5370

JH5370 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White DC TRD PRO
    I doubt it will ever happen. If it ever did I doubt even more that Toyota would but someone else's motor in it. I remember reading that the truck pictured above had a Hino diesel in it.

20. Aug 23, 2018 at 10:44 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    My company runs F-250/350 gas trucks. We have very few diesels for the same reason.

The Tundra platform is just rock solid in the 1/2 ton market. I’m not sure why some people wanna mess it up with a diesel option. By all means, there’s plenty of options out there if someone wants a diesel.

Devcom likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top