1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TSS/Pre Collision System Malfunction....

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by SloppyJ, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Aug 22, 2018 at 11:34 AM
    SloppyJ

SloppyJ [OP] New Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2018 White SR5 5.7 4x4 TSS Tundra
    Sounds like BS to me. Seems like there are plenty of people with lifted 2018s. I'd be willing to bet that your dealership has probably installed some. Just a guess.

Stand in front of your truck and take a look. You'll see a camera under the rear view mirror towards the passenger side.

Luckily the majority of my issues are where the truck just turns off the PCS function and I just have the orange dash light showing that the PCS is off but if I scroll to the settings, the PCS setting is turned on. If I had to deal with the pop up messages and that big yellow exclamation mark all of the time I'd be even more upset. I don't really care for the PCS system and it was not a factor at all for me too. I wish I could get it fixed then turn it off.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    TundraNole[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Aug 26, 2018 at 2:41 PM
    LT75

LT75 Seasoned Pro

Member:
    Saint Charles, IL
    No mods yet
    Well I started the buy back process. They made it sound frustrating. Taking it back for the 5th time this week for the PCS issue. Everything in the system has been replaced already. Some components multiple times. Corporate put the request in, and now it’s off to the Toyota lawyers to see if they agree. I hope it goes smooth. All I want is a truck without warning lights everyday.

Tundra 2019 tss and SloppyJ[OP] like this.
  3. Aug 26, 2018 at 2:48 PM
    KFed

KFed New Member

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Crewmax TRD Sport
    Tinted windows, Black badge overlays, ProZ hard bed cover, 32" grille light, 30" lower bumper light,...
    Good Luck! I just followed up with my case manager from Toyota who stated that ironically 2 more TUNDRAS w a PCS issue crossed her desk. It seems from what their tech came up with was a water intrusion issue to the radar sensor. So, they are now rechecking and doing a little better Quality Assurance of the units before they go out. I am now in a holding pattern with Toyota and the dealership. See how it all goes. still gotta wait a couple weeks...

4. Aug 26, 2018 at 3:54 PM
    silverhack

silverhack New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 CrewMax Inferno
  5. Aug 26, 2018 at 4:46 PM
    SloppyJ

SloppyJ [OP] New Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    So I ran into a buddy of mine that I haven't seen in a very long time this weekend. Coincidentally enough, he's worked at the local Toyota dealership for 10yrs. I made mention of the problem I've been having with my truck. He said that it was weird that I haven't hear back from my case manager for a week and that the PCS sensor is a very common issue. He stated that Toyota would be issuing a TSB or a recall on these soon and that might be the reason I'm getting the run around.

Now, we have had a couple of beers at that point but I do believe what he said. He told me to bring it in when the PCS light was showing on the dash and he could pull a code and get it swapped for me. But he also said that the replacement parts were hit or miss whether it would fix it or not. Basically all of the sensors are hit or miss and that's why they might be issuing a TSB or recall.

Just some street rumors that I thought I would update with. I called Toyota back on Friday and they said they would have my case manager give me a call back. We will be discussing the buyback protocol when I hear back.

On a side note, I took the boat out fishing today and she pulled good. The trailer light plug is farther away than my old truck and pulls out on corner so I will be re-wiring that to add some length. Other than the plug, everything is great. I wish they'd just fix my damn truck and compensate me for the headache.

6. Aug 26, 2018 at 5:21 PM
    LT75

LT75 Seasoned Pro

Member:
    Saint Charles, IL
    No mods yet
    What is the TSB or recall going to do? Replace the parts they are already replacing? They have no idea what to do. Like your friend said, parts are hit or miss. Meaning they are just throwing crap at the wall to see if it sticks.

7. Aug 26, 2018 at 5:24 PM
    neuguy

neuguy New Member

Member:
    Michigan
    The windshield sensor is for lane departure, the TSS pre collision sensor is in the grille behind the badge. They do work in tandem though I am pretty sure.

It sounds like I have been lucky though, I bought my 2018 about 2 months ago and haven't had any issues with my PCS radar or the TSS at all.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    SloppyJ[OP] likes this.
  8. Aug 26, 2018 at 5:41 PM
    LT75

LT75 Seasoned Pro

Member:
    Saint Charles, IL
    No mods yet
    The PCS uses both. Just wait, you’ll get the “PCS off, front camera unavailable” warning in the center.

stevep1794 likes this.
  9. Aug 26, 2018 at 5:53 PM
    neuguy

neuguy New Member

Member:
    Michigan
    6000 miles on the truck and still no message like that. I have had a "Radar cruise control unavailable" message but that's it and it was only when I first bought the truck.

10. Aug 26, 2018 at 8:08 PM
    SloppyJ

SloppyJ [OP] New Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    First time I had the issue I had a warning message for the PCS sensor AND the LDA sensor. Since then it's always been the PCS "Clean Sensor". The first one was a "Malfunction" warning for both the PCS and the LDA. I think they do work together to get the angles but I'm not exactly sure.

11. Aug 26, 2018 at 8:23 PM
    neuguy

neuguy New Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Well fingers crossed it'll never happen lol.

12. Aug 27, 2018 at 8:00 AM
    TommyBoy70

TommyBoy70 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Hey Tundranole, no good news from me. I've had it back to the original dealer and they told me I need a new sensor and there are over 1500 on back order, which he told me means they know there are issues with them so they're probably going to come out with a completely new sensor. It will take months. In the meantime I'm having ceramic coating and window tinting done on a truck I'm not happy with, but I know I'm stuck with. I bought another Tundra because of the reliability. Again, my SR5 had ZERO issues - and my new Platinum has been a disappointment to say the least. I wish I could turn all this crap off and just get the lights off on the dash and see my digital speedo. And oh yeah, when I went to pick up the truck from the dealer they said my AMP power steps didn't work when I brought it in. They absolutely worked perfectly and now they don't work AT ALL. Total joke.

13. Aug 27, 2018 at 10:15 AM
    SloppyJ

SloppyJ [OP] New Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Update from the case manager: They green lighted the dealership to order the parts and get the sensor swapped out. Like it's been previously stated, the part is on back order and I got no ETA. They did mention that they will check to see if they can expedite it but I'm not holding my breath.

I mentioned that this subsequent attempt will be the 3rd time to fix my vehicle and discussed the buy back process. We discussed possible compensation for the troubles and I will nail that down after the part comes in because the amount that I will request will be dependent on how long I'm stuck with this problem. I asked about a TSB or recall and the case manager said that she didn't know of anything coming down the pipe and that this isn't as common of a problem as I thought. Kind of ironic that the part is on back order though.....

So it looks like I'll be twiddling my thumbs until the part comes in.

14. Aug 27, 2018 at 5:15 PM
    netranger6

netranger6 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    2021 Crewmax. 4x4, SR5, Blacked Out package
    None. Keeping this one stock.
    Good luck getting a code with the error active. My dealer coundlt find jack. Nor was it ever recorded in the ECU. This is ever. As in even with the tech tapped into the obd2 port and an actively malfunctioning PCS.

15. Aug 27, 2018 at 6:32 PM
    LT75

LT75 Seasoned Pro

Member:
    Saint Charles, IL
    No mods yet
    Codes never stick for some reason. Can’t pull any off mine either.

16. Aug 30, 2018 at 8:43 AM
    JordanxRide

JordanxRide New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Truxedo Roll-up Bed Cover, Toyota Bed Mat, Tyger Side Step Rails, Toyota Deck Rails
    So.... I took my truck back to the dealer a few days ago because the PCS Off light came on a few times last week. This is after the radar sensor was replaced about three weeks ago. In conjunction with Toyota regional, they didn't find anything wrong. Pointed me to the owner's manual which says this on page 243 about the PCS system: If the PCS warning light flashes or illuminates, and a warning message is displayed on the multi-function display
    The pre-collision system may be temporarily unavailable or there may be a malfunction in the system.
    The following situations may cause this:
    * When the radar sensor or camera sensor or the area around either sensor is hot, such as in the sun
    * When the radar sensor or camera sensor or the area around either sensor is cold, such as in an extremely cold environment
    * When the radar sensor or front grill emblem is dirty or covered with snow, etc.
    * When the part of the windshield in front of the camera sensor is fogged up or covered with condensation or ice
    * If the camera sensor is obstructed, such are when the hood is open or a sticker is attached to the windshield near the camera sensor

17. Aug 30, 2018 at 9:35 AM
    LT75

LT75 Seasoned Pro

Member:
    Saint Charles, IL
    No mods yet
    They should change the brochure. Have it say “Toyota TSS safety system only works in perfect conditions”

Blueknights75 likes this.
  18. Aug 30, 2018 at 5:04 PM
    silverhack

silverhack New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 CrewMax Inferno
    So just a thought... have any of you tried removing the emblem cover on the front of the grill that is covering the sensor? I wonder if there could be a defect in the emblem that is interferring with all of the sensors. Or mount the sensor onto the radiator support using some simple hardware store items (there's some info out there somewhere about this) and drive around for a bit without the grill on.

19. Aug 30, 2018 at 5:57 PM
    LT75

LT75 Seasoned Pro

Member:
    Saint Charles, IL
    No mods yet
    Guaranteed if you move that sensor they will not cover the issue.

netranger6, Vizsla and neuguy like this.
  20. Aug 31, 2018 at 5:10 AM
    neuguy

neuguy New Member

Member:
    Michigan
    I relocated mine for the TRD Pro grill install using this 3d printed kit and have not had any issues since, but it was working very well for the most part before hand too...

Like LT75 said they likely wont cover any issues you have had if they know you moved the sensor.

Vizsla likes this.
  21. Aug 31, 2018 at 8:14 AM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    I will elaborate on this, because it is very important. The emblem, and Pro garnish are very expensive, and for a good reason. That reason is actually water. The system can generally deal with snow and ice with no false readings(abruptly stopping, and possibly causing an accident) up to a point and then is unavailable. But water can give false readings, hence the need for the smooth surface on the emblem/garnish to control water on the exterior surface. For other nerds - http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.331.7613&rep=rep1&type=pdf
    Example - this is the new Pro garnish, smooth as glass with the pattern on the back side. A textured piece mounted here will affect water on the emblem/garnish leading to false readings, very dangerous.
    78C2A64B-D754-445B-8993-71179DB2A717.jpg
    If the radar is moved, it needs re-calibrated or it will be off. You might get a dealer to re-calibrate the system, but they will not sign off on it being done due to liability. If your modified safety system causes an accident, there is gonna be trouble...

hitech likes this.
  22. Aug 31, 2018 at 9:31 AM
    SloppyJ

SloppyJ [OP] New Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    If the truck were out of warranty I would be willing to experiment to isolate the variable that is causing the issue. I love tinkering and solving problems like this because deep down I'm a nerd. However, as it sits, I'm not touching it because this is their issue and their issue to fix. At this point in my life, time is precious and I'm not willing to chase a problem on a brand new truck. If Toyota wanted to field test my truck and try different solutions, I'd be happy to help with that as long as I was compensated for my time fairly. I love nothing more than carrying out experiments but I know that if I start adjusting things, they will have the ability to blame my modifications for the malfunctions and not cover it under warranty.

I understand the situation from all angles but placing the burden on the customer that just spent $40k+ on a vehicle is not the right stance. In my mind, that's what it boils down to.

23. Aug 31, 2018 at 10:42 AM
    itsdchz

itsdchz 50statesoverland

Member:
    Clovis, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM Cement 4x4
    Icon, UCAs, Method, SSO, KB VOODOO, Skids and Sliders
    I have had this logged multiple times with Toyota Corp and Dealership.. They claimed no one else had similar issues
    So glad yours is there.. I am in a hot climate, and after parking in afternoon sun, I get the error everyday after leaving work. They will probably listen when someone gets into a bad wreck and claimed the sensor didnt warn them because it was in a malfunction mode.. Sucks that it may come to that, especially since I have had it logged for 4-5 months.

24. Aug 31, 2018 at 9:14 PM
    BeVaR

BeVaR New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tundra Platinum CM
    3\1 level lift, color matched handles and Mirror caps. 35% windshield , 20% everythind else
    309 miles on my new Tundra. Bought it on Saturday, 6 days in I have seen this light on 3 times. Only mod is debadging.

25. Sep 2, 2018 at 3:17 PM
    Gotigergo

Gotigergo New Member

Member:
    "Stand in front of your truck and take a look. You'll see a camera under the rear view mirror towards the passenger side."

How do I use this camera?

26. Sep 4, 2018 at 7:30 AM
    SloppyJ

SloppyJ [OP] New Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Unfortunately, welcome to the club. You should go ahead and get it scheduled to be looked at. Make sure to take pictures when the light comes on showing that the PCS system is turned ON in the settings with the dash light on. Document the crap out of it and make sure that you get paperwork from the dealer when you take it in stating that your truck is in the shop for the PCS issue.

If I had to guess this camera is used for the lane departure and works alongside the PCS sensor to monitor any incoming traffic. There's no way to "use" this camera, it's part of the Toyota Safety Sense BS that was installed this year.

27. Sep 5, 2018 at 4:41 AM
    plumber802

plumber802 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Platinum CM
    Mine has this issue but very random.Has been in to the dealer once but they could not find anything wrong.I hope that they come out with some kind of resolution for this.

28. Sep 5, 2018 at 4:49 AM
    KFed

KFed New Member

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Crewmax TRD Sport
    Tinted windows, Black badge overlays, ProZ hard bed cover, 32" grille light, 30" lower bumper light,...
    Another appointment w dealer this Friday, we'll see what the outcome is. As I stated in a prior post, my toyota case manager just had new similar cases cross her desk. They have been finding water intrusion issues. She tried getting toyota to release a new sensor as a preventative measure but was shot down due to "back order" issues...seems like if these sensors are on backorder, maybe there is an issue???? Ya think???

29. Sep 5, 2018 at 5:53 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I was just wondering if this issue is more about regional location.

Might be interesting on members TSS issues and what kind of climate they’re in.

HighDesertSurfer and Stroke250 like this.
  30. Sep 5, 2018 at 7:13 AM
    SloppyJ

SloppyJ [OP] New Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    I've noticed that it does seem to be linked to overcast conditions, very humid conditions, and rainy conditions. This was even further confirmed after the light coming on after I washed the truck this weekend. If I had to guess, it's water related. I do think it could be regional but only based on weather and humidity. I also feel like there was a bad run of these sensors and it's just compounded by weather conditions because just washing the truck should mess with that sensor.

I got a call late yesterday afternoon saying that my new part shipped from the factory on 8/29 and should be at my dealer shortly. Overall, I've been taken care of by my case manager and I get updates when appropriate. Still interested to see what they will offer up when this is all said and done.

HighDesertSurfer and ColoradoTJ like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top