1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission Temperatures

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by HTGreen, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Jul 13, 2017 at 9:48 PM
    Krohsis

Krohsis New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax, 5.7L, Red
  2. Jul 14, 2017 at 4:58 AM
    careyrob

careyrob In the field

Member:
    First Name:
    Carey
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2008 Crewmax TRD 4x4 Silver
    LRO 3/1 leveling lift 35x12.50's on 20x9's Hellwig rear sway bar B&M 70264 SuperCooler Transmission Cooler Firestone airbags Daystar cradles Air Lift WirelessONE Compressor System
  3. Jul 14, 2017 at 1:02 PM
    Quartermeter

Quartermeter New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DC WHITE
    FOX 2.0 REARS, OME FRONTS FIRESTONE AIR BAGS RCI SKID PLATE
    I've got an old MG oil cooler 6"x 12" x 2" thick. I'll bet ir would cool alot of fluid. I'll have to look into that.

4. Nov 7, 2017 at 12:39 PM
    OBXTundra

OBXTundra Member

Member:
    Southeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan Armada, 4x4
    @careyrob @Krohsis are you both still running with the tranny temp valve held open?

I will be towing a 28' Toy hauler regularly next year, in the south, in the summer. Looking for any advantage I can get to protect the transmission. Thanks in advance.

5. Nov 7, 2017 at 4:39 PM
    careyrob

careyrob In the field

Member:
    First Name:
    Carey
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    LRO 3/1 leveling lift 35x12.50's on 20x9's Hellwig rear sway bar B&M 70264 SuperCooler Transmission Cooler Firestone airbags Daystar cradles Air Lift WirelessONE Compressor System
    I didn't pin mine open. I let that thermistat do its own thing because it would make it harder to tell when there was heat being generated from slipping clutch packs. Just because the trans temps are low at a particular moment doesn't mean it's not slipping.

If they start to slip you need to slow down to reduce the load or downshift so that the trans fluid pump is running at higher rpm. Downshifting for higher rpm results in higher fluid pressures and better clutch engagement so they slip less.

Aside from the extra transmission cooler the only thing I did was use the TorquePro app to read the trans pan and torque converter output temperatures.

Just remeber to put it in 4th gear and tow/haul mode and watch your temps and you should be fine.

Interestingly enough when your trans temps start to climb your fuel economy starts getting much worse because the torque converter is no longer in lock-up.

How much weight do you expect to be pulling?

TTund16 and dcsleeper408 like this.
  6. Nov 7, 2017 at 4:54 PM
    OBXTundra

OBXTundra Member

Member:
    Southeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan Armada, 4x4
    @careyrob thanks for the reply, that all makes a lot of sense. I plan on getting the TorquePro app and a bluetooth OBD2 dongle.

Toy hauler is 7400, estimate 9500 loaded.

7. Nov 8, 2017 at 3:59 AM
    Krohsis

Krohsis New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax, 5.7L, Red
    Yes, pinned open. Careyrob makes a good point about monitoring for slipping clutch packs but running with the tranny pinned opened doesn't impede that. When the tranny unlocks, and you can hear and feel that happen, the change of temp coming from the TC is almost instant. IMO the thermostat opens too late/too high of a temp. This is not only bad in its own right, but when it does open it is more difficult for the cooler to reduce heat as the tranny is so hot already. Run in 4th, Tow/Haul, and you can choose to shift manually, or let the tranny do it itself. I do both, but have found at high load situations I can shift smoother manually than the truck can. I can make the shift while backing off slightly on accelerator. Each to their own.

I agree the weight you are running is within the limits of the truck. You likely will find you will need an additional tranny cooler on steep climbs (7%+) or long 5-6% climbs in higher ambient temps. We just went to a larger trailer, and this trailer is at 8800lbs gross. Tranny temps went up a bit, as did differential temps, but still in a zone I consider acceptable and safe. Do you know what your loaded hitch weight is? With a toy hauler that can change based on how many toys you have in the back. A Sherline hitch scale is worth its weight in gold if you are close to the limits of the truck. I have the 2000lb one. Something to consider.

https://www.sherlinedirect.com/inde...ategory_ID=13&CFID=138634056&CFTOKEN=86456595

TTund16 and dcsleeper408 like this.
  8. Nov 8, 2017 at 6:15 AM
    BlueFalconActual

BlueFalconActual Field Day Inspector Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    29 Palms, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tundra-less
    It’s worded kind of goofy, but I swear I read in the owners manual that you’re supposed to leave it in 4th while towing anyway.

Krohsis likes this.
  9. Nov 8, 2017 at 3:07 PM
    careyrob

careyrob In the field

Member:
    First Name:
    Carey
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    The transmission pump is driven off of the transmission input shaft so lower engine rpm causes lower line pressure in the hydraulic circuits and lower clamping force in the clutch packs.

If the load is too heavy and the pump rpm is too low the clutches start slipping. Even if the clutches aren't hot slipping is no bueno.

I sometimes shift into 5th when I'm hauling a trailer, but only on long, gradual downhill stretches to give the engine a little break. Even under these conditions sometimes the trans temps start rising so I drop it back in 4th.

TTund16 and Krohsis like this.
  10. Nov 13, 2017 at 8:55 PM
    careyrob

careyrob In the field

Member:
    First Name:
    Carey
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    I also agree with Krohsis. Pinning the trans thermostat open doesn't prevent you from monitoring anything with guages or "by the seat of your pants" when the TC locks or unlocks.

Really the only negative impact it could have is a small decrease in fuel economy because the cooler trans fluid would be more viscous and slightly harder to pump through the transmission hydraulic circuits.

I was hauling a trailer 3k miles and closely monitoring trans health so I wanted maximize fuel economy.

BTW, I'm also a little uncomfortable with how hot this transmission runs. If I knew more about all of the seal and wire insulation, and plastic materials used in the trans I'd feel safe making a definative statement about whether the temperature management design is mis-guided. If the materials are industry standard and the only thing different is the trans fluid then the system should manage to a lower target temperature. If there have been material upgrades on components that are traditionally most heat sensitive then the higher normal temp range may be appropriate.

I wish someone could provide some insight on that.

TTund16 likes this.
  11. Aug 12, 2018 at 8:21 PM
    Fryky

Fryky New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 tundra
    Hi guys, I’m trying to monitor the trans temperatures on my 2015 4.6 but I can’t find a good way. @Krohsis you said you use the scanguage2 but that one is pulling only one of them, and I think is the one on the pan. Also it has a slow response to the temperature increase/decreases. Is that normal?

I have an IPhone so the torque app wouldn’t work.

Thank you

12. Sep 23, 2018 at 9:26 PM
    Mtbrider541

Mtbrider541 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Medford Or
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra CM TRD
    Front and rear bumpers, ICON stage 1, Zone UCA's, Custom made airbag mounts with firestone bags, Body mount chop, ICON progressive rear leaf pack 1 inch lift, OME greasable rear leaf shakes & bushings, 295x70x18 Toyo Open Counrty ATII, URD Maf calibrator, K&N Intake tube w/ OEM Airbox, AFE Trans Temp and AFR Guage w/ Lotek guage pod, leer 100XQ with leer locker, Mangnum RT steps, and Trail Ridge tow mirrors.
    If anyone want to know how to install AEM trans temp gauge and or AFR gauges on their tundra hit me up. I have both located in my center console in front of the trans shift handle.

20180921_122238.jpg

ATCinfantry, Walleye, TTund16 and 2 others like this.
  13. Sep 24, 2018 at 9:14 AM
    Mtbrider541

Mtbrider541 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Medford Or
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra CM TRD
    Front and rear bumpers, ICON stage 1, Zone UCA's, Custom made airbag mounts with firestone bags, Body mount chop, ICON progressive rear leaf pack 1 inch lift, OME greasable rear leaf shakes & bushings, 295x70x18 Toyo Open Counrty ATII, URD Maf calibrator, K&N Intake tube w/ OEM Airbox, AFE Trans Temp and AFR Guage w/ Lotek guage pod, leer 100XQ with leer locker, Mangnum RT steps, and Trail Ridge tow mirrors.
    Here is the link to the adapter for the factory transmission pan. This enables you to place a temperature probe in the location where trans fluid is typically pumped in. I highly suggest that when you change your trans fluid approximately every 60k if you tow heavy or have oversize tires and a lift. Spend the $160 bucks and have toyota do the flush and fill. They do not need to remove any of the plugs or adapters to do this. This is where thier TSP has them pin the transmission thermostat open so that the entire system is cleaned and flushed. My trans runs around 190°f and maxes out at 215°f I can attest the the transmission thermostat opens at about 210°f and will cool back down to about 185°f to 190°f even when I was towing 10k through the mountains in Oregon our transmissions like all others need to operate around 190° to 195° as the heat is required for the friction material operate correctly. You simply replace the provided copper crush washer with an O ring like the OEM plug. Here is the link for the adapter:

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/search?q=oempt&hPP=21&idx=products&p=0

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    TTund16 likes this.
  14. Sep 24, 2018 at 9:17 AM
    Mtbrider541

Mtbrider541 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Medford Or
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra CM TRD
    If you also want the AFR gauge you need to run a relay from the battery because the oxygen sensor required uses to much voltage and amperage to pull power from under the dash.

15. Sep 24, 2018 at 10:11 AM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    17' Tundra SR5, 12' Tacoma TRD offroad
    Are you guys running in 4th in flat land or just when you hit the mtns? 4th gear and tow haul you guys have to spinning some rpms.

I usually have mine in manual mode and if I'm in traffic or mtns I'm in 4th but once things open up and its level cruising I bump it into 5th and 6th and just monitor things.

MTBrider, great setup on those gauges looks really good.

16. Sep 24, 2018 at 10:25 AM
    Mtbrider541

Mtbrider541 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Medford Or
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra CM TRD
    Outdoors is right the only true lock gear is 4th. I run in manual mode with tow haul on all the time. The manual mode is a bit deseaving though. All it does is limit the heighest gear your transmission will go into. You can have it in fourth and go to a dead stop it will drop to 1st and transmission will run through the gears like a four speed. When I'm towing heavy I turn the traction control totally off. You do this by holding the button down till the orange/yellow light comes on. Then repeat this again your dash will display in BIG WHITE LETTERS Trac Control Off. This is also fun if you're not worried about the cost of 35 inch all-terriains LOL!!!!!!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  17. Sep 24, 2018 at 10:21 PM
    Mtbrider541

Mtbrider541 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Medford Or
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra CM TRD
    Every transmission depending on year and manufacturer has an operating range.

18. Sep 30, 2018 at 10:20 AM
    Kn4x2

Kn4x2 Common sense is not so common!

Member:
    3rd rock from the sun
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 2WD
    Afe Pro Dry filter Tinted windows Coverking seat covers Traxion tailgate ladder Auto vox M1 backup camera
    Does anyone have the pid for a 2010 v6 auto. I have tried the ones on this thread on my iPhone with OBD Fusion but they did not work

Thanks

19. Mar 7, 2019 at 10:52 AM
    Red Dragon

Red Dragon New Member

Member:
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2015 Barcelona Red Limited TRD
    I have a 2015 Tundra. I use the Veepeak OBD scanner with the Fusion OBD2 iPhone app. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073XKQQQW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I use it to monitor my transmission, oil and coolant temps. It works great!

20. Mar 7, 2019 at 11:54 AM
    Walleye

Walleye New Member

Member:
    At what pan temp and TC temp does Toyota's transmission idiot light activate at for the 5.7L Tundras?

21. Mar 7, 2019 at 12:24 PM
    acmesupply

acmesupply New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM Silver TRD
    300F + turns off around 285.

Walleye likes this.
  22. Mar 24, 2019 at 3:04 AM
    apbreaux

apbreaux New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra DC
    Intake, exhaust, remote starter, LEDs everywhere, OVTune
    What PIDs are you using?

23. Mar 25, 2019 at 6:48 AM
    Walleye

Walleye New Member

Member:
    285 F to 300 F just seems ridiculously hot for trans temperatures. Instead of warning you of a developing problem, the light seems to be telling you failure is imminent at those temps. Better to monitor on torque pro or by other means until the technology to develop a simple temperature gauge is authorized from the factory.

24. May 17, 2019 at 8:49 PM
    1794-BlackTundra

1794-BlackTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sergio
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black Tundra 1794 Edition CM
    Rhino Linings, Smittybilt 11500 Winch (Internal), BAKflip MX4, RotopaX, MaxTrax, ARB Simpson III tent, Old Man Emu suspension, TRD rims, Pioneer Platform with Rhino-Rack Backbone System
    I got a 2019 CM Tundra, I've been trying the whole day to make this Veepeak OBD2 scanner with with OBD Fusion on iOS!!! It just doesn't connect (yup, not pairing on iOS's bluetooth options but on the actual OBD Fusion app) :censored: I'm about to throw it to the garbage! Any idea or suggestion as to how to get it to work? I see there are two very similar Veepeak scanners on Amazon... what's the difference? Did I got the wrong one? :annoyed:

25. May 18, 2019 at 7:04 AM
    Red Dragon

Red Dragon New Member

Member:
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    You have to be sure and sync through the app, not through the iPhone bluetooth. Also you need to purchase the add-on codes for the Toyota Tundra. This is the model I bought. I just followed the instructions and it synced up and works great. Veepeak OBDCheck BLE OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner Auto Diagnostic Tool for iPhone iOS & Android, Bluetooth 4.0 LE Car Check Engine Light Trouble Code Reader Supports Year 1996 and Newer Vehicles in the US

rebmo likes this.
  26. May 18, 2019 at 7:18 AM
    Eric32444

Eric32444 "Pick up your balls and load up your cannons..."

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Panama City FL, Lynn Haven
    will i be able to monitor the same temps with my '19 SR as the higher trim packages?

this would be with the Iphone app and blue tooth adapter...

thanks

27. May 18, 2019 at 8:04 AM
    Red Dragon

Red Dragon New Member

Member:
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    You have to purchase the add-on package for the Toyota. Then, when you go into the app, it will list the models to choose and you can choose the various options of things you want to monitor. It should work with many different models or trim levels.

Eric32444[QUOTED] likes this.
  28. May 18, 2019 at 10:43 AM
    1794-BlackTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Sergio
    Vehicle:
    Rhino Linings, Smittybilt 11500 Winch (Internal), BAKflip MX4, RotopaX, MaxTrax, ARB Simpson III tent, Old Man Emu suspension, TRD rims, Pioneer Platform with Rhino-Rack Backbone System
    Thanks for your response @Red Dragon !! I bought a couple of minutes ago the in-app module 'Toyota 2019 Enhanced diagnostics', tried again... same result, didn't connect... It's starting to be petty obvious to me (though I can't technically explain) that there must ber a reason why Veepeak has two very similar products... Your's it's the BLE (retailing for $31.99), the one I got it's BLE+ (retailing for $39.99)... my veepeak just don't want to connect... I'll return it and get yours... :notsure:

PS: For research purposes I've sent a message to Veepeak asking what's the difference between the two.

29. Sep 9, 2019 at 6:13 AM
    jimineez

jimineez New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra SR5
    I'm shopping for an OBD scanner and found this thread about the BLE. Sounds like @Red Dragon is happy, but did you get it to work for you? I'll be adding it to my '15 Tundra and connecting to an Iphone 8 plus. Thanks for any feedback!

30. Sep 9, 2019 at 8:08 PM
    1794-BlackTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Sergio
    Vehicle:
    Well... I contacted Veepeak support and they sent a replacement unit that worked perfectly... lucky me, 1st one most likely was defective...

To Top