1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission cooler or not Thread

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Mad Max, Oct 12, 2020.

1. May 31, 2023 at 10:54 PM
    AstroDude

AstroDude New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4
    Ironman 4x4 3.5" lift Stoptech drill and slotted rotors RRW 0 offset rims BMC 35" K02s TrailToys High Clearance Rear Bumper Steel and Kevlar braded brake lines Front diff drop UpTop Overland Rack RoofNest Falcon XL Roadshower 4L IronMan4x4 Awning IronMan4x4 Privacy Tent Custom built bed molle panel (because they don't make them for crew cabs)
    To add to this thread.

When the truck was packed full of people, I was heading uphill to Sequoia. The transmission temp sensor went off. After the trip, I took it by a place and they replaced the fluid. I then did another trip to Big Bear and the temp sensor went off yet again because:
    1. I was offroading
    2. the truck was loaded.
    After the trip, I once again paid for another fluid replacement.

After that, I installed a trans cooler. Since then, I have never received an over temp indication. I have a 2011 4.6L and it has been 100% worth it.

Joe333x and batman900 like this.
  2. Jun 1, 2023 at 10:04 AM
    AstroDude

AstroDude New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4
    Ironman 4x4 3.5" lift Stoptech drill and slotted rotors RRW 0 offset rims BMC 35" K02s TrailToys High Clearance Rear Bumper Steel and Kevlar braded brake lines Front diff drop UpTop Overland Rack RoofNest Falcon XL Roadshower 4L IronMan4x4 Awning IronMan4x4 Privacy Tent Custom built bed molle panel (because they don't make them for crew cabs)
    Ahh I forgot to add. Now that I have the trans cooler (obviously with a thermostat), the oil has never exceeded 230F and I usually float around 180-200F.

To Top