1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Traeger Grill

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by alpinepro4, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Apr 22, 2020 at 1:15 PM
    DividedSky

DividedSky New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    '18 Crewmax - ADS Mid Travel
    ADS 2.5's (rear bypass) U748 Leaf Springs
    I used to have a Traeger, but when it finally bit the bullet I got a Pit-Boss vertical smoker. Since I already have a built-in grill I didn't need the "grill" feature of the traeger and the pit-boss has WAY more space (5 racks) than the traeger and it also holds a lower temperature for "cold" smoking salmon and the like...

Quality seems great and clean-out is much easier. It is also WAY cheaper.

[​IMG]

deedubb and JMB like this.
  2. Apr 22, 2020 at 1:19 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    I tried trager pellets for my first cook and they seemed to burn fast and added very little smoke flavor. But it was my first time s who knows. I just got some pit boss hickory pellets for a good deal so ill try those. I will see how they burn but won't have a great comparison until I do another pork butt.
    There are some places online that sell higher quality pellets from what I have read. Also I hear the "blends" tend to not have a ton of smoke flavor to them for whatever reason. Maybe they have higher concentration of junky wood? I will see how these do and report back. My buddy says he has trouble getting the pit boss pellets above 350ish degrees so ill test that issue tonight with some hot dogs and brats.

3. Apr 22, 2020 at 3:34 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Got up to 404° on my camp chef sg with pit boss hickory pellets, it was climbing at that point too but I threw on some brats and dogs and turned it down. So far so good with very very affordable pit boss pellets.

4. Apr 22, 2020 at 4:19 PM
    JMB

JMB Not new, just a little old.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tundra DC
    5100s all around, 295-70-18 Defenders, 1.25 Spidertrax spacers, BD reverse lights, de-badged, interior LEDs, footwell LEDs, reverse LEDs, ARE cap, front receiver hitch for cooler holder, cooler holder/rod rack, backup camera, Kenwood HU, Westin nerf bars, Husky floor liners, folding rear seats, remote battery posts, plastidip grill chrome, Powder coat bumpers.
    I have the Lowes version of that, same parts and manual. Their customer service is great. When I seasoned it the first time the temperature got to 500+. I called, on a Saturday, and they sent a new temperature probe same day. Didn't work. I called again and they sent a new temperature probe and controller, again, shipped the same day. The controller fixed it. The original one had a pin in the connector that wasn't fully seated. Now I have two spare probes and one spare controller.

5. May 1, 2020 at 12:30 PM
    alpinepro4

alpinepro4 [OP] What is your MPG Today!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Cement DC
    Baja Designs Squadron Sport Fog lights, ARE CX Series Topper, Alcan Springs , DAP Tune, Coach Builder +1 Shackles, Headlight Revolution Supernova V.4 LED bulbs, HR LED interior bulbs. General Grabber ATX 275/70/R18
    Just put the new smoker together. Now ready to start smoking even though I have no idea what I am doing. Stoked to learn.
    F5AA3BDE-D7CC-4FFC-A097-2925FF9C0ACB.jpg

6. May 1, 2020 at 1:36 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Looks familiar. You'll love it.
    Get some ribs tonight, rub them down, look up the 3,2,1 method. Set that thing to low smoke tomorrow and 6 hours later you will be a fuckin hero.
    I love mine so far. Got my cold weather blanket today and side sear box last week.

20200501_145044.jpg

aperezsh likes this.
  7. May 1, 2020 at 6:30 PM
    alpinepro4

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Cement DC
    Baja Designs Squadron Sport Fog lights, ARE CX Series Topper, Alcan Springs , DAP Tune, Coach Builder +1 Shackles, Headlight Revolution Supernova V.4 LED bulbs, HR LED interior bulbs. General Grabber ATX 275/70/R18
    Nice I will give it a try we just bought some ribs. The meat thermometer that you plug into grill, has that been trustworth for you?

Pudge[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. May 1, 2020 at 7:20 PM
    cmack

cmack New Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 Burrito
    Test the thermometer in ice water first if you’re unsure or don’t have another one on hand you trust.

9. May 1, 2020 at 8:03 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Its very close to my other thermometers, I should test them in water though.

10. May 1, 2020 at 8:09 PM
    Green Thunder

Green Thunder Smooth in the Cruise

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2020 Burnt Green TRD Pro
    Food crumbs and dog fur
    The 3-2-1 method is for St. Louis Cut ribs. If you have baby back, that much time will kill ‘em. I do 2hrs, then wrap with juice for 1 hr then test doneness and go from there. Many another 30-60m with a sauce

I don’t measure temp on ribs. Not enough meat there to ensure you’re not hitting a bone. When you pick them up at one end, they should bend over. If the meat starts to tear, they’re over.

aperezsh and Pudge like this.
  11. May 1, 2020 at 8:12 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I do 2-2-1 for baby backs. Wait til the meat pulls back from the end of the bones

12. May 9, 2020 at 12:43 PM
    alpinepro4

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Cement DC
    You guys use a rack to smoke drum sticks? Or lay them down flat on the rack. I just purchased the camp chef sear box, now you have best if both worlds.

13. May 9, 2020 at 1:49 PM
    YsoSeRiouS!

YsoSeRiouS! A good day...for a good day

Member:
    NorCaL
    Vehicle:
    2019 White Platinum CM
    978BA947-BF79-4734-A30A-A917B0383CA0.jpg
    love it

Mgmtundra and aperezsh like this.
  14. May 31, 2020 at 9:40 PM
    alpinepro4

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Cement DC
    Bought the Camp Chef sear box. Best mod for that smoker. Seared some spicy shrimp along with our smoked beer can chicken.
    C461C807-2908-432F-9159-40A22EE8667E.jpg

Boerseun and Pudge like this.
  15. Jun 1, 2020 at 1:07 PM
    andy9743

andy9743 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    andrew
    nw ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 tundra cm 4x4 trd sc, +2 pulley, 4.88s, 37's, other things
  16. Jun 1, 2020 at 2:15 PM
    BuckWallace

BuckWallace Ball don't lie.

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    Camp Chef and Green Mountain Grilles make great pellet smokers. I have a GMG that is now 7 years old, which I leave outside all year. The only thing I've had to replace is the igniter, which is an easy fix and only a $12 part.

17. Jun 1, 2020 at 5:38 PM
    aperezsh

aperezsh Blessed are the peacemakers

Member:
    First Name:
    Ali
    cal-exit landed in GA
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra SR5 4x4 Crew Max Magnetic Gray Metallic
    A little this and that...Broke now
    just bought my traeger pro 34 a few days ago have one cook on it and it was really good.

18. Jun 1, 2020 at 6:34 PM
    Kanobi13

Kanobi13 New Member

Member:
  19. Jun 1, 2020 at 7:30 PM
    CyberViking

CyberViking New Member

Member:
    The Ozarks
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport
    I use my Traeger a lot and I’ve had it 6 months. No issues. Pit boss has been having some major issues with their parts lately. GMG is good. My next will be a Yoder though.

20. Jun 1, 2020 at 9:02 PM
    Jernik

Jernik New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Tundra Crewmax
    I would recommend getting/keeping a manual thermometer for back up. We were camping with friends, and he decided to do a brisket overnight in his portable pellet pooper. The probe he had in the brisket malfunctioned, but he didn't realize it / ignored the warning signs (it was reading done in only 6 hours cooking at pit temp of 225, I expected a min. of 12 hours for that size brisket). While edible, it was nowhere near done for a brisket. If he'd had a backup thermometer on hand to verify what he knew (it was done too soon) he could have avoided the embarassment. Nobody was rude - we didn't even rib him about it, but when you man the pit and it turns out less than the level you expect of yourself it's not a good feeling. He knew better, but for whatever reason ignored his instincts on that cook and trusted the reading of a faulty electronic temp probe - it bit him.

21. Jun 11, 2020 at 1:01 PM
    alpinepro4

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Cement DC
    Hey, Pudge has your sear box cast iron grate warped on you. Mine has warped which seems kinda weird.

22. Jun 11, 2020 at 1:09 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    No the grates seem flat to me. The heat/grease shield under the grate is warped from the first time i lit the fire. But the actual grate is fine. Id email camp chef, they will fix the issue. My handle broke off and they sent me a new one the next day.

23. Jun 11, 2020 at 2:08 PM
    ShreveportTSS

ShreveportTSS Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2018 5.7 4x4 Crewmax TSS
    I know this is late but if you calibrate the thermometer like it says, it is pretty dead on. Ive had mine 3 months with no issues. :fingerscrossed:

24. Jun 14, 2020 at 12:13 PM
    panicman

panicman Everyone remain calm.

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM TRDoffroad MGM
    Basic Lil Tex, purchased long ago at Costco.

I’ve had my Traeger for about 8 years. I have had to replace the heat rod twice, and at about 4 years I sanded the front bottom lip (right below the bottom edge of the door) and re coated it with high temp black paint.

I use my Traeger 3-6 times per week and always have. Mine sits below our patio cover. I have a canvas cover for it but I got lazy at about year 5.

Mine is really due for a tear down and refinishing, but it still works like a champ.

Mine has hot zones you can use to get sear marks consistently. If I really want a crusty sear, I’ll use a crazy-hot cast iron skillet. Mine will hold temps between 425 and 450 on high and undisturbed.

I’ve used the wired temp probe in the past, but I really prefer using A timer and a basic digital probe thermometer.

For pizza, I use a pizza stone, and start the pizza on a pizza screen. Once the crust has formed, yank the screen and you’ll get ALMOST a wood fired pizza.

I have had very good luck with whole birds, spatchcocked birds, roasts, briskets, ribs, sausages (I even made my own boudin once!), steaks, etc...

Traeger did have problems with QC for a time. I think I got lucky.

When this one kicks the bucket, I don’t know what I will go with.

JMB likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top