1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Traeger Grill

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by alpinepro4, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Apr 18, 2020 at 12:15 PM
    alpinepro4

alpinepro4 [OP] What is your MPG Today!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Cement DC
    Baja Designs Squadron Sport Fog lights, ARE CX Series Topper, Alcan Springs , DAP Tune, Coach Builder +1 Shackles, Headlight Revolution Supernova V.4 LED bulbs, HR LED interior bulbs. General Grabber ATX 275/70/R18
    Those of you who have Traeger grill how do you like it? Grill would be living outside most of the year. How well has your held up? Friend of mine go rid of his due to it breaking down and always need to replace parts. Granted that was years ago, I assume improvements have been made. Anyone had that trouble with Traeger? Looking at getting Pro 575.

Off the topic, anyone using an Air Fryer? Exploring the idea of getting one? Or sticking with my traditional fryer.

2. Apr 18, 2020 at 12:17 PM
    WNY PAT

WNY PAT New Member

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    2017 Crewmax Limited (Mines) 2019 Crewmax SR5 (Work)
    My brother in law has a Treager and... yummy. He does a brisket or ham or bbq chicken on that thing... best ever. He’s had his for about 2 years... I hope he never gets rid of it!

3. Apr 18, 2020 at 1:51 PM
    samdubie

samdubie Just a dude who loves his tundra.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Ridgecrest
    Vehicle:
    2014 Crewmax SR5 TRD Off-Road
    6112/5100 “bossed-out” kit, 1.25 spydertrax, DirtyDeeds 10” stainless, trd pro grill, leer topper, tyger running boards, pedal commander, remote start, Toyo open country at III’s
    Got a Eastwood 22 from Home Depot 2 years ago. It has held up really well to inclement weather and two cross-country moves.

It was definitely a lot of money to shell out.... but I think it’s one of the best purchases I’ve ever made. Never had to replace a part and we use it a lot.

4. Apr 18, 2020 at 1:53 PM
    BTBAKER

BTBAKER DIFFERENT NAME. SAME JUNK.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    I bought a Pit Boss. I looked carefully and it seemed much sturdier than the Traeger and it’s a much more reasonable price. Traeger lives on it name now and it’s build quality has gone down IMO.

5. Apr 18, 2020 at 2:29 PM
    CCLJ03

CCLJ03 Tundra forever

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road - Cement
    I have a traeger junior and I love it! But... I’ll be going with a Rec Tec next time.

Bigger hoppers, starts up faster, gets hotter, and I know a guy who has seriously tested their customer service and they’ve passed with flying colors.

Sunnier likes this.
  6. Apr 18, 2020 at 3:45 PM
    xtyfighterx

xtyfighterx New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Crewmax Mid Travel
    Mid travel fox 2.5 coilovers 2.0 real shocks shims 295 70 18 trail grapplers pro accessories 32in light bar blacked out bed cover sway bar Moto metal 970 18x9
    I’ve had two different models both have worked awesome no issues I’ll never go back to a regular bbq. Costco has the best deals when they come around it’s like twice a year

7. Apr 18, 2020 at 3:46 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    look at:
    1. camp chef
    2. cabelas version of camp chef
    3. pit boss

Most seen better and easier to get a decent price.

Boerseun and ninjajay like this.
  8. Apr 18, 2020 at 3:56 PM
    cmack

cmack New Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 Burrito
    I've had my traeger for 3ish years and use it about 4-5 times a week. I love it and it's hands down my favorite method of cooking. That being said, I am planning on buying a second smoker in the near future and am looking at a Green Mountain Grill (the giant one) this time around.

Biggest complaint people have (outside of price) is the temp control sucks compared to other brands.

9. Apr 18, 2020 at 3:57 PM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    I've had a transfer for about 8years. I've got a Lil Tex Elite Been a great smoker. Great customer service.

It's about as easy as you can get. The only down side to the traeger (and most/all pellet grills) is not being able to sear a steak. If you are really into that, a pellet grill isn't the way to go. If you don't care, they are great.

They are super versatile. In summer months, I've used mine instead of using the oven to keep the heat out. Bread, pizza, cookies, steaks, pork butts, turkeys....they always turn out great.

Definitely get a cover, and grease the auger and fan motors every year or so.

Boerseun likes this.
  10. Apr 18, 2020 at 3:58 PM
    BIGUGLY

BIGUGLY I the SheepDog. I have the capacity for Violence.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    Green mountain would be worth considering.

11. Apr 18, 2020 at 4:02 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Camp chef with 900° propane side sear box :) about $200
    Some guys make a lava rock insert which gets 600° + over the fire chamber. An option too. About $100

usmchawk and FrenchToasty like this.
  12. Apr 18, 2020 at 4:04 PM
    Lovetrucks

Lovetrucks Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram Rebel
    I have an air fryer love it .

13. Apr 18, 2020 at 4:04 PM
    platslvrblt19

platslvrblt19 New Member

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘19 Silver Platinum Tundra
    I did a ton of research before pulling the trigger on a Camp Chef...I read a ton and saw many had issues with Traeger, but if I had the extra bucks I would have got a Rec Tec. I’ve had the Camp Chef for about 6 months and use it a few times a week, no issues. I came from an offset smoker, and I don’t think pellet grills come close to them smoke/flavor-wise, especially with brisket and ribs, although I don’t miss baby sitting the offset. A smoker tube helps a little more since these grills don’t produce much smoke. Fish, burgers, and anything fatty seems to do best - did some awesome meat loaf last night. I still use my gas grill for steaks and most chicken.

Pudge, Skew12 and BravoDeltaRomeo like this.
  14. Apr 18, 2020 at 4:07 PM
    solidsnake

solidsnake New Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2017 Lexus RX 350
    We only use our air fryer for two things. Making wings and deep fried Oreos. We bought a traeger from Costco and returned it a week later. I was super impressed with the temp control and the wifire but it never really got the smoke flavor that our old master built smoker did and in all honesty I don’t want to have to clean out my grill every time I use it.

15. Apr 18, 2020 at 5:14 PM
    knoxville36

knoxville36 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation w/3.0 Duramax
    If you are looking at an $800 Traeger, I would be looking at:

1. Camp Chef
    2. RecTec
    3. Green Mountain.

I would go RecTec being the best out of those 3.

I went Traeger, to Re Tec, to Yoder.

The RecTec was significantly better than the Traeger. It was much heavier, sealed better, held temps much better.

However, the food comes out pretty good in a Traeger and if it was your only option I would still take one.

For $100 more you are getting a much much better quality smoker/grill that you will be able to sear on.

https://www.rectecgrills.com/RT-590-Pellet-Grill_5

Sells for $800 to $900 everywhere with a sear box:

https://www.campchef.com/wood-pelle...g-24-pellet-grill-with-sear-box-and-wifi.html

16. Apr 18, 2020 at 5:20 PM
    Elduder

Elduder New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Mine has been outside all year long, under cover though, for the last 2+ years. Not failures to date. Used probably a good 100+ times a year.

Also, since you mentioned an air fryer. I currently dry brine steaks, then smoke on the traeger for ~30-45mins. Finish in the air fryer for <15 mins. The results is a crusted/crispy steak that is still tender and full of smoke flavor. Absolutely my favorite combo.

I wont be without a Traeger again though, love mine.

17. Apr 18, 2020 at 5:36 PM
    alpinepro4

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Cement DC
    Baja Designs Squadron Sport Fog lights, ARE CX Series Topper, Alcan Springs , DAP Tune, Coach Builder +1 Shackles, Headlight Revolution Supernova V.4 LED bulbs, HR LED interior bulbs. General Grabber ATX 275/70/R18
    Damn a lot of good choices out there. I was looking at a Traeger since I can get a deal on one. I might be able to get a deal on Camp Chef. I will continue to do more research. As for air fryer think I will keep what I have, no need to spend money if I don't have to.

18. Apr 18, 2020 at 5:38 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    moosejaw dot com has good deals/discount codes on camp chef. Also GovX if you're a first responder, cop, military

19. Apr 18, 2020 at 5:45 PM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Sky Platinum Crew Max
    Bed Rug, Tonneau cover, Window visors, Console organizer, Weather Tech's
    Oh man... where to start with the Traeger. I have the Timberline 1300. I bought it in late July. I loved it. Then I noticed it leaking grease out the side of the barrel by the hopper. I called my store and just happened to get a territory manager on the phone. He was awesome to deal with. Emailed him pics and he forwarded to R&D. Called me the next day and said he wanted me to look for a whole in the weld. Couldn’t do that because it’s got a bead of sealant over it. He said we will send you a brand new grill.

they did. I got it and put it together and dropped my old one off at our local store so they could ship it back.

went to hook up to WiFi with mine and it wouldn’t connect. Took almost a month to get WiFi. Now to be fair they had just switched over their cloud platform and it was a real shit show for them. Finally got that to work. Then I got slow ignition errors on every cook. Called them to troubleshot some easy stuff, pellets swap, cleaned fire pot(again) and no joy. Called back and they shipped a new fire pot/hot rod. I didn’t think it was going to work but surprise it did.

With all that said and all my experiences I love that grill. My local store is awesome.

If I was going to buy a pellet grill again for whatever reason I would still be looking at either the same grill I have or the Yoder YS640 like @knoxville36 has. That was the original grill I wanted. My grill is to big(if that’s a problem) so depending on how the use is I may get a smaller grill.

Also I promise you Costco is NOT the best place to buy a Traeger. Those guys are the used car salesmen of the grill world. They do have sales and during the roadshow you could save a bit of cash but don’t believe their bs about prices going up(especially on the Silverton).

Like mentioned above if your looking at that 800-1000 price point I would also at least check the GMG’s. Look for temp holding and rust issues. Every grill has it plus’s and minus’s you just have to find what your willing to except.

sorry for the book. I’ll stop here haha.

20. Apr 18, 2020 at 5:50 PM
    MrWrench

MrWrench New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra limited
    Spray on bed liner, Bak mx4
    I have a pro series 22. I switched over from propane. So far I’ve made brisket, burgers and a several racks of ribs.
    It takes patience to cook with it as it is much slower but worth the wait.

21. Apr 18, 2020 at 5:53 PM
    Backslider

Backslider Thirsty...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Vehicle:
    2022 GMC Sierra AT4 L5P - 2017 4runner SR5P - 2023 Tesla Model 3 LR
    I have a Traeger. I've had it for nearly 4 years, and it's been outside (covered) the entire time. I use it 5-10 times a month. I've had no problems with it, but I'm pretty anal with keeping things clean and covered.

There have been a couple of nights where I ate too much and drink too much and left it uncovered during snow or rain. The next morning I dry it really well, run it long enough to evaporate any residual moisture, then let it cool and cover it. Not a spec of rust on it and the coating has held up extremely well.

I live near a Traeger warehouse where they sometimes have scratch and dent deals. Mine was a scratch and dent that I got for over 70% off retail. The dent was on the bottom corner of the drum where the leg attaches. Bent it back into position but it wouldn't matter because you can't see it unless the grill is upside down anyway.

saybng likes this.
  22. Apr 18, 2020 at 6:20 PM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Trd sways, bullydog, magnaflow, sumo springs
    The Traeger guys sold the company years ago. Then they went to work for Pit Boss I believe and helped them design grills

BTBAKER[QUOTED] and Pudge like this.
  23. Apr 18, 2020 at 6:40 PM
    SunTundra413

SunTundra413 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ned
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black TRD Sport DC 4X4
    ARE Cap
    I have a Traeger I think the model is Pro 34. I've had it for about 2 years and have not had any trouble with it.

I was in the research phase and leaning toward the Camp Chef when my wife saw this Traeger for sale on FB. It was brand new in the box and the guy had bought it as a gift for his brother then they had a falling out and were no longer speaking to each other, so he sold it to me for $400. I think they normally go for around $700.

I really like cooking bacon on the Traeger. It comes out perfect every time.

24. Apr 18, 2020 at 7:23 PM
    alpinepro4

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Cement DC
    CampChef Smokerpro SG looks like a good option. Doesn't have wifi but who really cares. Anyone own this model or similar? How do you like it? ChampChef looks to be well thought out than Traeger.

Pudge likes this.
  25. Apr 18, 2020 at 7:25 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I just got mine.after a ton of research i landed on the SG. I have a sear box on order to go on it too. No need for wifi. I got mine from moose jaw for just under 500, but I think now you can get them for 510. That's a great deal, won't find a better deal than that.

26. Apr 19, 2020 at 7:21 AM
    knoxville36

knoxville36 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation w/3.0 Duramax
    Honestly..... I have not posted on it yet, but I bought one of these for tailgate season this fall. I cooked a pork butt and rack of ribs. It is small, runs off 12v or 110, will for on picnic table, or tailgate of a truck. It is small and you can not fit a lot on it, but if it was just 2 people it would be great!!!

Pork butt formats just fine, 1 to 2 rack of ribs. Grill about 6 hamburgers or so. It is better quality than most out there and on sale right now for $279.

https://greenmountaingrills.com/products/grills/prime-wifi/davy-crockett-pellet-grill-wifi/

27. Apr 19, 2020 at 8:00 AM
    alpinepro4

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Cement DC
    Can’t you open a part of the grill to get direct heat, so you can sear? I think this is the grill I will go with.

Pudge[QUOTED] likes this.
  28. Apr 19, 2020 at 3:07 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Yeah you can open the heat shield and the heat deflector to "sear" but it's maybe gonna be 400°. You can add a funnel like thing filled with lava rocks to get higher temps say 500°. Neither temp can really sear something well. The side sear box is 400-900° and quick. So if I wanna grill a quick hotdog or burger I can just use the propane side grill.

29. Apr 22, 2020 at 12:14 PM
    alpinepro4

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Cement DC
    Pulled the trigger on Camp Chef smokepro SG pellet grill. Does it matter what kind of pellets I get? Should I stick with camp chef pellets?

Green Thunder and Pudge like this.
  30. Apr 22, 2020 at 1:07 PM
    Mgmtundra

Mgmtundra MGM Crew

Member:
    Congrats on the new grill. I’ve got a Traeger myself going on 15 years of service. I would take @Backslider advice if you keep it outside. Maintain your grill regularly and it will treat you right. As far as pellet is concerned I don’t think there is a big difference from one brand to another. There is a difference in what you use. I find the blends don’t add a lot of smoke flavor to the meat vs. the single wood bags.

Products Discussed in

To Top