1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The most bothersome thing for me

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by OnThaLake, Dec 16, 2021.

1. Dec 16, 2021 at 8:17 PM
    Kentuckytundra

Kentuckytundra I love spam calls, we talk for hours

Member:
    I can take a hint :thumbsup:

2. Dec 16, 2021 at 8:20 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    No problem. It was heading that way and this was just a soft warning for everyone...not just you sir.

3. Dec 16, 2021 at 8:28 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
  4. Dec 16, 2021 at 9:12 PM
    lrtexasman

lrtexasman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Rockwall, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Crew Limited 4x4
    Making your guest download the app and log into to use the car play / nav system to avoid a constant guest profile popping up every time the turn the car off is a bit much IMO.

5. Dec 17, 2021 at 12:02 AM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Double Cab Limited 5.7L 4X4
    I wanted a faster vehicle so I also bought a Chevy SS... because 4 door sedans with big V8’s are hilarious.
    The best solution here as customers is:

1.) Don’t buy the new truck and tell Toyota why you won’t buy the new truck. Even if it’s just the dealer, they’re gonna be pissed at unsold Tundra’s fucking up their dealer floor plan and you can bet your ass they will give Toyota an earful themselves.

2.) If you’re hard up for a new truck and buy a Tundra opt out of all the data services etc.

3.) Whenever possible if you have a Toyota product and a function stops working schedule a service visit. When they tell you you have to subscribe to make your hardware work, refuse. Then leave scathing reviews for the dealer. Unfair to the dealer? Maybe, but angry dealers can leverage Toyota to stop this bullshit.

Like many of you I am disgusted by this nonsense, and it’s leaving a sour taste in my mouth. I thought for sure a 3rd Gen Tundra would be my next vehicle and now I am not so sure, leaning towards a hard “no” based on low value for the money pricing, and this subscription bullshit.

6. Dec 17, 2021 at 12:40 AM
    Lovetrucks

Lovetrucks Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram Rebel
    The difference in Stellantis is they're going to take over the Uconnect services themselves . In other words instead of paying a third party for the phone ap , Uconnect assistance etc etc you'll be paying them . No different than now just who gets the subscription money every month . If you chose to have it that is .

7. Dec 17, 2021 at 3:22 AM
    glowblue

glowblue From time to time

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 —> 2021 F-250 XLT
    Deactivating your key fob with remote/push button start isn’t always a bad idea, might actually prevent your Truck from being stolen.

https://youtu.be/r61umo5VL98

Melikeymy beer and Oey12 like this.
  8. Dec 17, 2021 at 3:32 AM
    1UP

1UP Truck Gang

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Red CM TRD sport 4x4
    Yup. Every purchase is a "vote" in favor of whatever the seller is pushing.

I like the explanation below when it comes to privacy. (BTW - Not political vid).

https://youtu.be/KMtrY6lbjcY

ryanwgregg likes this.
  9. Dec 17, 2021 at 3:56 AM
    DerfM

DerfM Knows nothing about trucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro MBM
    I'm trying to find a way to disable their nanny tools. My 2021 tells Toyota my mileage so that the dealership will call me to schedule appointments. I still have 1000 miles to go, just piss off people. Then, I found out it also calls them when you get an airbag alert. Started my vehicle without the passenger seat, airbag warning, whatever. Next day "We see you've had an airbag malfunction, stop in or schedule your service..."

10. Dec 17, 2021 at 4:03 AM
    wexttxco

wexttxco New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 SR5 DC 4x4
    Fox 2.5 RR, 35x12.5r18 x3 on method 701, armor, front bumper
    Really? Geez

11. Dec 17, 2021 at 4:05 AM
    wexttxco

wexttxco New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 SR5 DC 4x4
    Screenshot_20211217-060512_Firefox.jpg
    From a toyota car, asking how to disable wifi and toyota safety connect.

12. Dec 17, 2021 at 4:34 AM
    shawn474

shawn474 Lego connoisseur

Member:
    MoCo, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Tundra crew max TRD Off Road
    I agree with most of what’s being said on here…..

I don’t necessarily mind “being tracked”. I mean I have a call phone on me 24/7 - don’t see it any differently that the apps I put on my phone, etc.

However, the nickel and dining pisses me off. Used to be we could go buy a car and pay cash - after that no more expenses except maintenance and repair. This feels like companies trying to continue to profit even after the car is “paid off”. I would rather them give me the option of purchasing a remote start at the beginning of negotiations. Call it $500. IF I choose to purchase it is mine and I can use it. This “it’s there but you have to subscribe to use it” BS is maddening. Same goes for the app based features. Let me opt in to purchase it like I do with the apps on my phone. Monthly subscription features are simply a ploy to slowly profit off of and bleed dry the working class people.

13. Dec 17, 2021 at 4:41 AM
    wexttxco

wexttxco New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 SR5 DC 4x4
  14. Dec 17, 2021 at 4:45 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    I'm pretty sure the light on mine is red because I never activated it like I was supposed to.

ryanwgregg likes this.
  15. Dec 17, 2021 at 5:03 AM
    wexttxco

wexttxco New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 SR5 DC 4x4
    One guy said after asking then to disable it, the DCM display stopped showing bars and was grayed out, indicating telematics were turned off.

ryanwgregg likes this.
  16. Dec 17, 2021 at 5:30 AM
    Retired...finally

Retired...finally Utilizing that doctorate of procrastinatory arts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SR5 Crewmax
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    I never signed up and deleted the app from our phones. If I press the SOS button it says something about not being connected. I'll check to see what color LED I have.

17. Dec 17, 2021 at 6:16 AM
    THOR's

THOR's New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thor
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra TRD Sport and XP Predator Package
    And here I thought I was the only one wearing that tinfoil hat!!! :yay:

18. Dec 17, 2021 at 7:07 AM
    Retired...finally

Retired...finally Utilizing that doctorate of procrastinatory arts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SR5 Crewmax
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    Mine goes through an alternating red/green flash cycle about 4 times then goes dark right after I start the truck.

19. Dec 17, 2021 at 7:08 AM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    I can't stand all this BS with monthly services. Aside from this forum and pinkbike, I have zero social media presence. No FB, IG, TikTok, YT, Twit or other. I never have any locations turned on or accept any cookies or "site improvement" pop ups.
    It is so blindingly obvious what they are doing with our info, but we pass it along anyway just get instant gratification for whatever it is we want, and select "accept all and continue" to do just that. We are caught in a pickle. We want everything at our fingertips but when we finally see what we had to do to get it, its too late. We sadly will own nothing that we think is ours to own... Our lives. They will tell you where to piss and how long you have to do it or they'll remotely shut the lid soon.
    Lol
    We are all slaves to information and access to that information even if we think it is ours, but it's not.
    Stay out of my vehicle, stay out of my home. No Alexa, Stupid Siri, Googlicious, or any passive listening ASSIstants. If we continue to be lazy and need these services... They will continue to exploit it for every penny. After all it's what humans do best... Take take take, leave nothing for the next gen. F'n shame for our kids/grandkids. They will not be able to wake up in the morning without Alexa telling them what to do or how much it will cost to unlock the refrigerator.

20. Dec 17, 2021 at 9:37 AM
    OnThaLake

OnThaLake [OP] New Member

Member:
    At this point in time, I really don't think Toyota is being nefarious with the connected stuff.

I was watching more videos and it seems the infotainment works fine after clicking away the guest mode screen. Annoying, but the radio still works normally.

Would you mind the tracking/data collecting if Toyota made it available to others? Advertisers? Government? Your insurance company?
    Toyota is not doing that now, but technologically there's nothing in the way of seamless data sharing with others.

In case one day you have an urge to travel around without something monitoring you, for whatever reason, you can always leave your phone at home.

21. Dec 17, 2021 at 9:47 AM
    OnThaLake

Member:
    Probably the most effective way to disable telematics would be to unplug the antenna at the telematics module. The system would just think it was out of cell range, or in the boonies. A pulled fuse may set codes.
    Your Android Auto or CarPlay can still be connected to allow navigation.

My biggest beef, now that I've calmed down a bit...is that when you start the truck, first you get your typical "pay attention" disclaimer on the infotainment screen. Which in my vehicles is usually immediately overridden by my reverse camera, and by the time I put it in drive, the message has cleared.
    However, I don't know how long "Guest Mode" stays on the screen. If it self-clears in a short time, I'm ok with that. If it stays on until I touch the screen, that'd be annoying.
    Tim kept getting "Guest Mode" every time he started his new Tundra, despite having a registered fob.

I may change my opinion if I can disable that crap. I really like the truck otherwise.

22. Dec 17, 2021 at 9:50 AM
    OnThaLake

Member:
    That's annoying!

If I need something, I'll find them, I don't need them reminding me of my ownership responsibilities.

23. Dec 17, 2021 at 2:22 PM
    DerfM

DerfM Knows nothing about trucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro MBM
    I just happen to be at my dealer for my wife's vehicle so I asked how that can be disabled and I was told "it can be programmed out, but it will void your warranty." I'm wondering what I signed to agree to this.

OnThaLake[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  24. Dec 17, 2021 at 5:57 PM
    RavingOx

RavingOx Member

Member:
    WNC
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Platinum in Black
    Do you have a bank account? If so, your data (and your money) is being used to someone else’s profit. Also, you’re using some sort of app or internet browser to access this site, and that data is being used to someone else’s profit.

For most of us, it’s not about whether someone has our data any longer…unless you’re completely off the grid.

JLS in WA likes this.
  25. Dec 17, 2021 at 7:50 PM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    Duh.
    But...
    That's exactly it, you don't care. They have successfully washed your mind to what they want you to think and will continue to exploit you, bleed you dry , all the while you are on your knees drooling for the next whItePhone. The less you care the more they take. Good luck with that.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    OnThaLake[OP] likes this.
  26. Dec 17, 2021 at 8:28 PM
    RavingOx

RavingOx Member

Member:
    WNC
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Platinum in Black
    As you defiantly post all this on the internet…

Do you pay for the email account you used to register for this forum?

JLS in WA and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  27. Dec 17, 2021 at 9:05 PM
    Tundyfundy

Tundyfundy Petunia The Tundra, and her sidekick Colbie

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic Grey DC SR5 4x4 2016
    SUSPENSION: Bilstein 6112 coilover (1.9") w/ Powder Coated Springs and Spring Perch (TRD Red), JBA Upper Control Arms, Bilstein 5160's w/Billet Aluminium Reservoir Brackets, +2 Coachbuilder Shackles, Diff Drop Kit, Carrier Bearing Drop Kit, Brakeline Extensions, ABS Extension, Poly Bushings for Leafs, Coachbuilder Shims (2 Each Side), Coachbuilder Bumpstop Extensions, TRD Rear Sway Bar, TRD Front Sway Bar, Air Lift 5000 airbags w jounce bumpers, Daystar Airbag Cradles WHEELS AND TIRES: BF Goodrich KO2's 275/70/r18, BORA wheel spacers 1.25", TRD Wheel Caps,TRD Valve Stem Caps, Spare Tire Lock PERFORMANCE: Bullydog GT Tuner(Performance Tune), TRD Intake, TRD Dual Exhaust (with Modified Exhaust Hangers for Levelling Tail Pipe),TRD Brake Pads, TRD Oil Cap (US), TRD Radiator Cap, TRD Oil Filter, Optima Yellow Top Battery,GP Battery Distribution Blocks, StopTech Slotted Cryo Treated Rotors, Goodridge G-Stop Steel Braided Brake Line Kit PROTECTION: PNP Engineering Type 4 Rock Sliders (With Full Dimple Plate) ,ADD Stealth Fighter Rear Bumper w Red/Blk Shackles and Custom Stomp Pad, TRD Skid Plate with ReadyLift Spacer Kit, Victory 4x4 LCA Skid Plates, JOMAX ABS Sensor Armor, Rear Diff Breather Mod, ARK splash guards INTERIOR: Husky Liners X-Act (Front and Full Coverage Rear and Front Weather Beater Trans Hump), Interior LED Bulbs, WheelSkins Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover(EuroPerf), Clazzio Genuine Leather Seat Covers(BLK/DRK GRYwith custom stitching and embroidered headrests), Clazzio Seat Heaters (Front and Rear), Entune Startup Screen MOD, Entune Off Screen Mod, Tinted Windows with Windshield Visor, AJT Key Fobs,Eagle Claws Floor Mat Clips, Bodyglove Visor Organizer,Custom Door Cup Inserts, Glass Break Sensor,AJT Radio Knobs, Custom Dior Cup Inserts EXTERIOR: Full Debadge, LED Brake Light Bulbs, LED Rear Turns, LED Reverse, LED Plate Lights, LED Cargo Lights, LED Third Brake Lights, LED Front Marker Lights, LED Fog Light Bulbs, Lamin-X Fog Light Covers (Amber),2018 OEM LED Headlights, iHacker harness, VLED Universal Puddle Lights, VLED Interior Footwell Lighting (Front and Rear),VLED Extreme Amber Fornt Turns, NSV Knight Rider Light bar, Baja Designs Sport Squadron Pods in Rear Bumper (Driving/wide), Painted Red Tow-hooks, Bed Rail System, Blind Spot Mirrors, Hitch-safe, Tail-gate lock, EAG Raptor Grille, Custom Grille Badge,Full Vinyl Wrap (Matte Black/Matte Pine Green Mettalic), Charvonia Designs Tie Bed Tie-Downs, Bull Ring Bed Rail Anchors, Line-X, Tundra Bed Mat, Bakflip F1 Bed Cover SOUND: Noico 80Mil Sound Deadening and Noico 170 Mil Thermal Insulation (All 4 Doors, Roof, Floors, Rear Panel, Dash). Hertz Uno K170's Component Speakers (Front Doors with Upgraded Sail Panels), Hertz Uno K170 Coaxial Speakers (Rear Doors), JBL C1-075ct Tweeters (Total 4) in Side Dash and Center Speaker, JBL Stadium 5 Amp w/Remote Bass Adjustment Knob and Amp Rack, 12" Infinity Reference Subwoofer in Custom Enclosure w/ “TUNDRA” Logo, Fast Rings Foam Speaker Rings System(4 Doors), Fix 86 DSP
    I'm still pissed they removed Pandora from the head unit.

OnThaLake[OP] likes this.
  28. Dec 17, 2021 at 9:38 PM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    As you miss the point again, and ask another stupid question.

Kentuckytundra and OnThaLake[OP] like this.
  29. Dec 17, 2021 at 9:50 PM
    OnThaLake

Member:
  30. Dec 17, 2021 at 9:55 PM
    OnThaLake

Member:
    How's that relevant? Your thought process is conflated.

Email exists on somebody's web services, therefore you pay for it either with cash or advertising.

Your truck exists in your driveway. I don't see the point.

If too many people think vehicle ownership is like web services, then we're all screwed

Products Discussed in

To Top