1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The most bothersome thing for me

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by OnThaLake, Dec 16, 2021.

1. Dec 16, 2021 at 10:28 AM
    OnThaLake

OnThaLake [OP] New Member

Member:
    There's something about the new Tundra that really rubs me the wrong way.
    No, it's not the lack of tow hooks...
    Or the handlebar mustache grill....

Now I know I'm going to sound like a whack job....but it's bugging me...

I really love the new Tundra and have been super excited to replace my 15 year old truck...

Bought my wife a new 2020 Toyota last year, and really like it.

But ...wtf with the new head unit and "connected services" shit?

Here comes the conspiracy theory....

Toyota thinks they can turn us into a repeating revenue income source, by way of subscription and selling our personal data.

Supposedly they teamed up with Google to develop the software in the Tundra.

To be clear, I don't mind paying for an optional smartphone connected services. But, it appears some basic remote fob functions and use of the head unit requires opting in, making account, and possibly paying for basic functions not related to the convenience of a smartphone.

It doesn't sit well with me that giving up my 15 year old truck causes me to lose my free key fob remote start.

Or that the radio goes to an annoying "guest mode" when it can't confirm if I have an account.

I also don't like that the truck is always "connected" to somebody, and our use data is at least known to Toyota, but what about Google? Or them selling/making available my use data to 3rd parties?

Local governments have been wanting to tax vehicles "per-mile". Wouldn't surprise me if that's a future software update to our Tundra.

How about they allow your insurance company to see how you drive?

Of course, I'm just being paranoid.

But when the door is cracked open, it can be forced open further.

Starts at $80 year.... Not so bad too freak out, right?
    But it can, and will go up from there.

Maybe in-vehicle advertisement? Why not?

Maybe pay for using your door locks or AC? Why not, if we accept paying for a PREVIOUSLY FREE function from our key fob?

The video Tim (truck talk YouTube) put up about the infotainment system really leaves me cold.

Net6, TK1979, MASA and 24 others like this.
  2. Dec 16, 2021 at 10:31 AM
    OnThaLake

Member:
    Also wanted to add I'm not picking on the Tundra specifically, I know this crap has been trickling out for a few years in other vehicles. Toyota isn't the first to do this nor are they alone going forward.

MASA, Wallygator, Toyotoholic and 3 others like this.
  3. Dec 16, 2021 at 10:41 AM
    Johnnyquad

Johnnyquad New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 Pro double cab MGM
    Tint, clear bra, OEM stereo upgrade, tonneau cover, line x, 285/65/18 Toyo AT3
    I totally agree with this and I'm glad I got the last old school Tundra.

Net6, MASA, Elevatormatt and 10 others like this.
  4. Dec 16, 2021 at 10:41 AM
    Kentuckytundra

Kentuckytundra I love spam calls, we talk for hours

Member:
    I agree completely. Toyota took a feature that uses hardware (auto start from fob)that does not need or rely on data being collected to their master data consent which means the hardware you paid for, that allows the truck to be autostarted from the fob will be shut off if you don't give them your data which includes speed, location, and a whole host of other things.

What else will they do that to in the future if people accept this?

4 wheel drive? Your headlights? Power windows?

Ridiculous. The hardware is already there, we paid for it, they will charge us to use it, and deny us the ability to use it if we don't give up all our privacy to them. Wow. Just wow. Had I known that before dropping over 60k on this truck, and another 10k+ in mods I'd have gone a different route.

Toyota has lost their damn minds.

TK1979, MASA, Elevatormatt and 7 others like this.
  5. Dec 16, 2021 at 10:47 AM
    Johnsonman

Johnsonman New Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Sequoia
    LED headlamps/fogs; interior footlamps.
    Unfortunately auto makers are learning from software makers. There is a ton more money to be had, long-term, available from your current clients if you dribble out a service they can't live without and milk 'em slowly. Rats.

I read recently stellanis (chrysler) is planning on several $billion coming by 2030 just from subscriptions to services they expect to sell us. They could milk us for just about anything that is not safety related (and maybe some of those too). radio, foglights, backup cams, seat heaters, memory seats and on and on.

This is worse than 1984 was ever predicted to be, not only do they watch us, they take money from us like taking candy from a baby. Bastards.

6. Dec 16, 2021 at 10:51 AM
    OnThaLake

Member:
    We're probably going to get a few people saying "nothing's free"
    Or
    "It's only $80 a year"
    Or
    "If you're not doing anything wrong, what's the problem with someone owning and possibly sharing your use data?"

7. Dec 16, 2021 at 10:53 AM
    CaptTyler

CaptTyler Life’s too short to have an ugly boat.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Ram 2500 Cummins
    You aren’t the only one who thinks this either. Rubs me the wrong way too. My 2012 isn’t going anywhere for quite awhile.

8. Dec 16, 2021 at 10:56 AM
    OnThaLake

Member:
    I had a 2016 GTI that had optional connected services. I had a lot of control of my GTI with my smartphone.
    That was included free for a year.
    I only used it to show my friends that you could close the sunroof or check your gas level from the phone.
    The best function was locating the car, if someone ever stole it I could conceivably find it.
    Nonetheless I let the subscription lapse.

My GTI continued to function normally afterwards, I didn't need an account to "log in to" my radio FFS.

I feel they were just "testing the waters".

Jernik likes this.
  9. Dec 16, 2021 at 10:59 AM
    PlatinumPro

PlatinumPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 PlatinumPro Crewmax
    Bilstein 6112+5100s, Rigid Lighting, Fuel 20x9 Bronze Blitz
    subscription services are death by a 1000 cuts and its already played out. with the new vehicle pricing, the constantly ballooning fuel prices and this non-sense its hard to assume many of us will be here in 10 years. rant over :(

Wallygator, wexttxco, Jernik and 2 others like this.
  10. Dec 16, 2021 at 11:01 AM
    Kentuckytundra

Member:
    Since I have a 21, I will seriously look into disabling or removing the shark fin. Screw their GPS and signal. I don't listen to radio anyway. I'll use a GPS of my choice. Some how I feel like opting out of them collecting my data is a sham.

So disabling their ability to collect it is the next option.

11. Dec 16, 2021 at 11:16 AM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    Nailed it pretty good OP, tis only the beginning!

OnThaLake[OP] and Kentuckytundra like this.
  12. Dec 16, 2021 at 11:24 AM
    nuclear

nuclear New Member

Member:
  13. Dec 16, 2021 at 11:26 AM
    Jernik

Jernik New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Tundra Crewmax
    I'm certain the bastards will make you pay a subscription fee to REMOVE the ads automatically playing every time you start the vehicle, and popping up every 5 minutes of drive time (think youtube). :rant:

No wonder cars from the 60's and 70's are selling for big $. Freedom ain't cheap, but it's WORTH IT! :oldglory:

14. Dec 16, 2021 at 11:26 AM
    OnThaLake

Member:
    I know! I know!

15. Dec 16, 2021 at 11:28 AM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    299.9k Supercharged 2008
    Agreed.

16. Dec 16, 2021 at 11:35 AM
    FrenchToasty

FrenchToasty The Desert rat, 6 lug enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Mo
    The SoAz
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC 4.88s Elocker and some other trippy stuff
    None
    I’m glad I got the 1st old school Tundra.
    BCD6F4A9-8984-46CD-BC60-B1A8E66F3ED8.jpg

17. Dec 16, 2021 at 11:36 AM
    Kentuckytundra

Member:
    If people aren't seeing what's happening then they have tin foil over their eyes at this point lol

18. Dec 16, 2021 at 11:46 AM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 TRD OFFROAD
    Coach Builder 1 inch lift strut spacers Coach Builder 1 inch shackles TRD Sway Bar Diode Dynamics SS
    I get there’s some legit gripes but the reality is most electronic devices, cellphone applications, TV applications, and shopping sites are tracking and selling our information.

All smart phones, all smart TVs, DEFINITELY all Microsoft/Apple computers, and various other devices. Amazon does it and there are daily links to Amazon products on this forum that many don’t seem to gripe about.

I agree it’s ALL intrusive on our privacy however I don’t see anyone ditching many of the products mentioned above…

Kn4x2, snivilous, JLS in WA and 2 others like this.
  19. Dec 16, 2021 at 11:49 AM
    glowblue

glowblue From time to time

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 —> 2021 F-250 XLT
    This is nothing new. GM did this with OnStar over twenty years ago. After your service ran out after the first year, the OnStar subscription was really expensive.

I remember locking my keys in the car 20 years ago and I called the dealer to get a replacement and they said if you have OnStar call and they can remotely unlock the car. 15 min later presto! I was amazed.

Oey12 likes this.
  20. Dec 16, 2021 at 11:57 AM
    OnThaLake

Member:
    Somebody's gotta pay for the services these products bring to us. Pay for streaming platforms, etc.
    Ads on this site, or in my Yahoo mail sucks, but I'm getting these for "free".

It's not like you get ads or accounts to play a DVD... People make new product types that actually require constant management, therefore ads or subscriptions are reasonable.

You pay $50k for a truck, and they want to charge you for remote start from the key fob? Since when did the key fob in your pocket require a subscription to use it's buttons?
    Why should the radio/infotainment default to a bothersome, annoying "guest account" when it doesn't recognize your phone or you loan the truck, or..... just don't want to have an account to use your damn radio?

I don't mind paying for Pandora... I do mind it if just turning on the radio is so obfuscated, or they think I should pay subscription for the buttons on my fob.

Where does it end....

DarkMint, Wallygator and Jernik like this.
  21. Dec 16, 2021 at 12:01 PM
    Kentuckytundra

Member:
    Many people are doing as much as possible to avoid supporting those companies and their products. Damn near impossible to completely eliminate the intrusion but much can be done. Onstar is one of the main reasons I chose a super duty over the duramax in 2012. ;)

22. Dec 16, 2021 at 12:02 PM
    OnThaLake

Member:
    OnStar was a service. For something unique.

When it expired, your vehicle didn't behave oddly. Only weird thing about OnStar was it made changing your radio for aftermarket a real pita.

I don't think anybody minds paying for connected services, nobody is asking for connected services to be free.
    It's the monetizing of traditional, long established, regular tech that's worrisome

Xspurt, Wallygator, snivilous and 7 others like this.
  23. Dec 16, 2021 at 12:49 PM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 TRD OFFROAD
    Coach Builder 1 inch lift strut spacers Coach Builder 1 inch shackles TRD Sway Bar Diode Dynamics SS
    Honestly for me personally I could care less that Toyota is charging to use the key fob as a remote start. It’s a simple amenity not a necessity for the truck to function. Now if Toyota disable the lock/unlock function…would be a completely different story. I subscribe to the app because of the other features it offers. And I don’t use the auto start.

It doesn’t end because all the car manufacturers are only going to require more information to operate the vehicle. I have a difficult time as it is because I have very little accounts in general. I don’t necessarily disagree with what you saying but in regards I see auto start as meh. And any owner can get an aftermarket system that has virtually the same capability as Toyota’s app. So in my opinion an owner has options and are not locked into anything they don’t want.

ezdog, Cpl_Punishment and RavingOx like this.
  24. Dec 16, 2021 at 12:52 PM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 TRD OFFROAD
    Much agreed (not all though…) but there is going to be a point when you won’t be able to purchase a vehicle without similar systems…and I really don’t like it. But Toyota offers some decent features in the subscription for me personally to warrant the money. And I am well aware of the privacy loss…

25. Dec 16, 2021 at 1:00 PM
    Kentuckytundra

Member:
    I think toyota having the app and services for people to choose is great. It actually is cool, some of the features it offers. If someone is ok with toyota collecting their where abouts and whatever else that's completely their choice. They lose me when they start taking away features of hardware that's installed on the vehicle I paid for, that has nothing to do with the application, if I don't consent to them collecting my information.

It's a slippery slope to say the least. Obviously if they did this for other hardware on the truck that we paid for like the sun roof, people would be like wtf lol yea you bought the sun roof, and it's on the truck, but if you want to open it, give us your location :confused:

26. Dec 16, 2021 at 1:03 PM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    I called and opted out of all connected services associated with my ‘21.

It still has the lame remote start that shuts off when you open the door.
    Yes, for now. But this kind of stuff tends to ratchet in one direction only.

“Unlock your lane departure alert for a small monthly fee!”
    “Add rear window functionality for only $3/month!
    Etc etc

Wallygator and OnThaLake[OP] like this.
  27. Dec 16, 2021 at 1:05 PM
    Kentuckytundra

Member:
    I opted out of the master consent on the app, and it won't let me remote start my 2021 trd pro... maybe I should call?

28. Dec 16, 2021 at 1:08 PM
    Doofus

Doofus New Member

Member:
    The real question is whether we are asked to pay for equipment on the front end that we can’t use without a subscription on the back end.

29. Dec 16, 2021 at 1:11 PM
    Retired...finally

Retired...finally Utilizing that doctorate of procrastinatory arts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SR5 Crewmax
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    Interesting discussion. Makes me glad I have the '21 with a cut key. I realized years ago that the 18-34 demographic are the ones that are easily swayed into spending money. Easy catch for companies. Us older but wiser have the money but are more careful with it. Not an easy catch. Add to that the younger generation loves their connected devices. I use them as I would any tool. I'm resenting being forced to use my phone or laptop more and more every day.

30. Dec 16, 2021 at 1:33 PM
    OnThaLake

Member:
    Remote start from your key fob exists because:
    -the key fob you own has the capability
    -the ECM you own has the capability
    -the communication method between the 2 is long established as free

Therefore, it's part of the vehicle you own. It's cool that you don't care about remote start. But, Toyota is shutting down hardware you own if you don't pay a subscription.

That's my point.

In the case of remote start from a smartphone app:
    -the app on your phone requires constant development
    -the 4G service to the vehicle to connect app to phone isn't free

Therefore I agree that the smartphone connectivity requires a subscription.

So, they've disabled one traditional, common function from hardware you own to motivate some people to buy in to subscription.
    What other function could they eliminate that would actually bother you?
    I'm talking about traditional stuff that the vehicle and it's buttons (including your fob) already have the hardware for, being "turned off" to compel you into a subscription?

Wallygator likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top