1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tailgate Handle Lubrication

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by scooterprint, Nov 30, 2021.

1. Nov 30, 2021 at 12:01 PM
    scooterprint

scooterprint [OP] Idiot with a wrench

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Conway, AR
    Vehicle:
    ‘04 DC 4x4
    Bone stock
    Greetings.
    There may already be a thread on this, so I apologize if that's the case.

I caught covid last week and it's been kicking me square in the pants. I finally had enough energy to go outside and actually do something with myself.
    I've had a really sticky/spongy feeling tailgate handle for as long as I can remember. After some tinkering, I've made my tailgate handle easy to pull and buttery smooth.
    Links to everything used will be located at the bottom of the post.

Tools required:
    Torx 30 bit (some report T35 on their rigs)
    Red Scotch Brite
    Contact Cleaner/WD40
    White Lithium Grease
    Rag
    Optional: Gloves

1. Locate and remove x8 Torx 30 screws. Remove Tailgate outer plastic and inner metal shield panels.
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
    2. Locate the two pushrod guide/retaining clips, located to the left and right of the tailgate handle mechanism. remove the pushrods from these clips. (Clips Broken? Check below for OEM part #)
      [​IMG]
    3. Using a piece of Red Scotch Brite, abrase the areas where the pushrods ride inside the pushrod guide clips.
      [​IMG]
    4. Using contact cleaner/WD40, clean out pushrod guide clips and abrased area of pushrod. Apply white lithium grease into the pushrod guide clips. Clip pushrods back into pushrod guide clips. Actuate tailgate handle to squish out any excess, clean excess with a rag.
      [​IMG]
    5. Using a rag and contact cleaner/WD40, Clean the circled area (use your finger to depress the latch mechanism for thorough cleaning). Apply white lithium grease as shown in photo. Actuate tailgate handle to squish out any excess, clean excess with a rag.
      [​IMG]
    6. (optional/not pictured): You may squirt the insides of the latch mechanisms on either end of the tailgate. I did not notice any difference before or after doing this, but it's up to you.
    7. Reverse the tailgate disassembly process, reinstall the metal inner cover and plastic outer cover. Done!
    Links/info:
    Tailgate Pushrod Retainer/Guide Clips: https://parts.toyota.com/p/63255144/6974934010.html
    Scotch Brite Pad: White Lithium Grease: T30 Torx Bit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R7DFYCS
    WD40: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NV5PRE/
    Rag: dude...

bmf4069, tunyota, HBTundra and 5 others like this.
  2. Nov 30, 2021 at 12:42 PM
    Teutonics

Teutonics New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC SR5 4WD
    Nice write up! I did this several months ago too... made a HUGE difference. I agree that WD40 is a great cleaner (and a terrible lubricant). Instead of white lithium grease, I used Dupont dry-film wax lubricant... it doesn't attract or hold dirt, which seemed advantageous in the tailgate (think dirt roads, etc.). There are quite a few similar products out there now, but the key being "dry film". It usually comes in a spray can.

scooterprint[OP] likes this.
  3. Nov 30, 2021 at 1:01 PM
    scooterprint

scooterprint [OP] Idiot with a wrench

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Conway, AR
    Vehicle:
    ‘04 DC 4x4
    Bone stock
    Thanks! I used white lithium grease because it's what I had on hand, though if I had my choice between WLG and a dry alternative, I would choose the grease again. The inside cavity of my tailgate hadn't been cleaned in upwards of 8 years and wasn't all that dirty. I understand the WLG is a risk for getting an accumulation/buildup of dirt and grit on the pushrods, but I think it will stay lubricated for longer than it would with dry lube. The tailgate is somewhat sealed up, so I'm not that worried about it. If it really gets bad I'll just clean it and lubricate with something else, but I don't anticipate it. Honestly speaking, just the Scotch Brite treatment did 70% of the work on making the handle easy/smooth to use.

4. Nov 30, 2021 at 5:15 PM
    shifty`

shifty` One great big festering neon distraction

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
  5. Nov 30, 2021 at 6:53 PM
    chunk

chunk New Member

Member:
    110 miles north of Los Angeles, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    SR5 2001 Tundra, original owner
    Bone stock
    Yep, when it takes more than 2 fingers to open the tailgate, it's time for a clean and lube.

shifty` likes this.
  6. Dec 3, 2021 at 2:04 PM
    Hooptytrix

Hooptytrix Squeaky Chicken

Member:
    Dirty South
    Vehicle:
    2000 AC 4x4, 2001 AC 4x4 Sold. 2005 DC SR5 2WD
    Title can be misleading, I read "tail handle lubricant"??? I started thinking coconut oil, it's all natural and the body absorbs it quite well :hattip:

Tundra2 and scooterprint[OP] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top