1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

********* System 1B - Detailed Installation and Reviews

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Netmonkey, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Nov 25, 2018 at 3:13 PM
    Jai LI

Jai LI New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 CM 1794 5.7 4x4 FFV
    Rear sway bar, CAI and sound deadening
    @Netmonkey I just finished installing the System 1 (w/ front&rear). I really like it, as you said, it sounds really great. Quick question, is there a way to get the mids out more? My highs and bass are off the charts.

TundraLuv likes this.
  2. Nov 25, 2018 at 5:11 PM
    Netmonkey

Netmonkey [OP] Don't be a Dumbass

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Texas Edition, 5.7, CM, MGM
    Icon stage 2 lift, 295 60 20 nitto ridge grapplers, fuel kranks, TRD dual exhaust, TRD rear sway bar
    Awesome. Yeah. I noticed the same about the mid sound level too. To address that, I installed the sound matting and it made a huge difference.

See my sound matting install thread.
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/sound-matting-detailed-installation.31297/

3. Nov 25, 2018 at 5:15 PM
    Jai LI

Jai LI New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 CM 1794 5.7 4x4 FFV
    Yup, I saw yours, nice work. I did my sound deadening first, while I was waiting for the free shipping, lol

4. Nov 25, 2018 at 10:00 PM
    Jai LI

Jai LI New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 CM 1794 5.7 4x4 FFV
    For those of you w/JBL CrewMax thinking about installing a System 1 setup from *********, here are a few learning pointers from my recent experience:

1. Get a multimeter (I was told by Daniel that I would be getting one with my order, along with prying tools, NOT) I had to run to the store and get one in the middle of my install. Really hard cause I have only my truck.
    2. Be sure to have a T tap ready, ********* fell short again. Called Daniel at ********* and he said they don't include it in the package. Again, can't continue without this, picked it up with the multimeter. ( would have been nice to know ahead of time)
    3. Correct tuning videos for your Recurve and Amp. (This is for those with the JBL system)
    A) Use this video for tuning ReCurve - ignore JBL comments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AFgxJTBYks&t=879s
    B) Use this Video to tune amps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSkYKWLHrws
    C) Use these tones: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/63ziatc3j9jt2is/AADWv_mUm3zv8mhQKdGqNRFca?dl=0

4) Note, you WILL be keeping the stock amp. They don't really cover that part, at least not with me. So you will have to make it fit on the amp rack. Drilling into the Amp rack will be required.
    5) Two separate speaker wire harnesses, one for the front doors and another for the rear doors. Very Important, you WILL be using the front door woofer (main) speaker wire harness with the ********* wire harness. AND you WILL be using the rear door tweeter wire harness with the ********* wire harness. ( if you don't take note of this, you'll think they sent you the wrong wire harnesses for the rear)
    6) You will be installing the Bass knob that came with the Amp (the bass knob that comes with the Recurve has a different size wire). Store the bass knob that comes with the Recurve. The benefit here, one less wire to route to the Recurve.

Again, a Big Thank You to @Netmonkey for his detailed instructions. Sorry to have muddied your thread.

Brownmoney and D3Tundra like this.
  5. Dec 3, 2018 at 10:09 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    After months of kicking around buying a LOC and amp versus buying the ********* 5 channel amp I decided on the latter. The new amp really woke up my Infinity Kappas while the base is definitely better I think the biggest improvement is in the tweeters. I have not put in a subwoofer yet. I need some storage space so I opted not to get the ********* sub. Since I rarely carry 2 legged passengers in the back seat I am not sure when or if I will change out the rear speakers. The only issue I had with ********* is they could at least include some basic printed wiring instructions.

6. Dec 3, 2018 at 10:27 AM
    Netmonkey

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    Icon stage 2 lift, 295 60 20 nitto ridge grapplers, fuel kranks, TRD dual exhaust, TRD rear sway bar
    I agree. They should include wiring instructions. However, all the wiring instructions are documented in their videos. You can see all the videos that I linked in my original post when I did my install.

I recommend researching your specific installation before even attempting it. Also, you can always contact them if you have questions. I spent a week researching everything before I started the installation.

7. Dec 3, 2018 at 11:01 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    I know I can watch a video but why when a simple page of wiring instructions would suffice.

8. Dec 3, 2018 at 11:19 AM
    Netmonkey

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    I know, I agree with you. :) However, in lieu of physical instructions, the information is available. :)

9. Dec 3, 2018 at 1:09 PM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    Maybe so but I still expect some basic written instructions. Most companies include them. In fact I will say that I have never bought anything that did not. Had I known I would have printed before I left work on Friday. To me me this is a big oversight by *********. Middle of install and I have to fire up computer and watch video because they saved $.05 on a piece of paper. Not professional in my book. Also have to add that finding installation instructions,on the website is not as easy as it should be.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  10. Dec 30, 2018 at 2:48 AM
    Boots

Boots New Member

Member:
    Houston Tx
    Vehicle:
    2018 black tundra
    Procomp 6in lift w 35's 30in grill light bar Bac bed cover Taco tunes sq1 sound system Tinted windows Custom Masonic grill.
    Great write up. Two thumbs up w a sip of bourbon. I had taco tunes instal their sq1 in my 18 tundra. I am still satisfied and have no issues. Their team got right on my truck when I arrived and I learned from watching the install. Your write up will surely help everyone.

Netmonkey[OP] likes this.
  11. Mar 5, 2019 at 11:55 PM
    4077th

4077th New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5
    Very nice write-up and pictures!!

You saved me some trouble for sure. I watched the videos many times. Did the install with sound deadener. All is well, except the sub amp would not power on. Tried to troubleshoot, wasted a couple of hours making sure I did everything correct. Low and behold, even though they video stated no need for the remote "blue" wire, you do!!

Also had trouble with sub box fitting, but you saved the day again, so many searched and even on Rob's channel, couldn't find the sub box video!!

Thanks!!!
    Mike

12. Mar 6, 2019 at 3:51 AM
    Netmonkey

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    awesome! i am glad that this post helped.

i ran into these same issues during my install and then updated this documentation with the solutions :)

this is one of the things that i talked to the guys at ********* about: providing complete and proper instructions.

which system did you get? are you enjoying it? :)

Migraine likes this.
  13. Mar 7, 2019 at 12:06 AM
    4077th

4077th New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5
    Yes, I have everything installed on my 1B system.

Just need to do the tuning.

Quick questions.

1. Why is it necessary to disconnect the dash tweeters? Wouldn't that help with the sound field? Also should we disconnect the center speaker?

2. During the tuning video. At one point when tuning the 4 ch amp, he switches the the filters to HPF then tunes and moves on. It is necessary to leave the switch on HPF or should it be on FULL?

Thanks!!!

14. Mar 7, 2019 at 5:29 AM
    Netmonkey

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    you don't have to disconnect or remove the dash speakers. however, they do not produce the same sound volume and quality that the new speakers do. the new speakers will totally over power the dash speakers. also, the dash speakers will sound like crap when you listen at high volume levels. so, why leave an inferior sound in your system? just remove the dash speakers. the new system produces so much sound that you wont care that they are gone.

yes, leave the amps on the HPF setting.

15. Mar 7, 2019 at 10:48 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    I just left my dash speakers hooked up. I cannot hear them regardless of the volume. As far as tuning I burned a CD that works fine on my computer but will not play in the truck. Not sure what is wrong. I emailed Taco Tunes with no response. I like the product but have to give Tacos Tunes an F when it comes to customer service. I tuned the amp by ear but would still like to do it the "right way". If it were not for the ease of installation of their products I would not recommend them to anyone.

16. Mar 7, 2019 at 11:00 AM
    Netmonkey

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    It wont play or you cant hear it? if you are following the instructions, none of the speakers should be hooked up so you will not hear any of the tracks. if it wont play, I would examine the method in which you are burning the CD.

********* has other methods of communication. they have:
    • email
    • direct dial
    • ticketing system
    • online support through the website

how long has it been since you emailed them?
    have you tried all 4 options?

I just checked their website and their online chat is available right now.

upload_2019-3-7_12-59-47.jpg

they also have an emergency option in which you can text them directly:

upload_2019-3-7_13-12-6.jpg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  17. Mar 7, 2019 at 11:18 AM
    bard0117

bard0117 New Member

Member:
    How does this system compare to the recent group buy complete package?
    • JBL Stadium 5 - Amp
    • 2 - Infinity reference 3022 cfx 3.5 - Dash
    • 2 JL Audio C1 tweeters - Center
    • 4 Hertz K170's for Doors + Sail Tweeters
    • 10" JBL Club WS1000 w/ Custom Box
    • DSR1 Processor

18. Mar 7, 2019 at 11:20 AM
    jwl019

jwl019 New Member

Member:
    N.E., Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CM 4wd TSS
    Tacotunes SQ1 package Bilstein 5100's @ 1.5" plus 2 shims Toyotec Shackles at 1" Firestone Ride Rite Airbags SCS SR8's 285/70r18 Nitto Ridge Grappler's Bed Cover Tow Mirrors Windows Tinted Window Visors Weathertech Floor Mats
    Great write up! I've been rocking my ********* SQ1 system since mid 2014, and was one of the first diy complete kits for the Tundra Rob sold. Love it! Before I trade-in in my 2010, I pulled the system out and transferred it over to my 2016, only needed a new sub box and subs vs the 2010. First weekend I had my new '16, I had it gutted inside running wires and dynamat. Wife comes home from work and sees everything pulled out and nothing but bare metal everywhere in the cab and thought I was nuts.

19. Mar 7, 2019 at 11:29 AM
    Netmonkey

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    I don't know. I have not heard this system in person so I cant speak to sound quality. however, just based on the specs alone, the ********* system 1b will produce far more bass than this system since it has 2, 12" subs with a dedicated 1000 watt amp. also, do you know how much power this amp puts out? on the ********* system 1b, each mid and tweeter gets 100 watts. it is so loud that I cannot tolerate to listen to the stereo any louder than 40 on the stock head unit.

20. Mar 8, 2019 at 3:31 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    email and online chat. CD gives an error message when I put it in the truck. I tuned by ear and it sounds good

21. Mar 20, 2019 at 6:05 PM
    916tundra

916tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Crewmax
    Thanks @Netmonkey for the write up. I will be using your instructions for my install; however, I will be using Focal components and subwoofers instead of Image Dynamics. I only ordered the amps kit from ********* and everything else from ebay and Amazon. I’ve read good things about Focal but never actually heard their speakers in person. Hopefully they sound good since they are expensive.

Components came in today, waiting for the subs and amps kit to come in for the install.
    2DF12FC6-41E5-4EE2-8EF9-50E2DD0878B7.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  22. Mar 31, 2019 at 5:10 PM
    4077th

4077th New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5
    Quick update on my install. 2018 with 1B system.

1. Everything working fine with exception of passenger side tweeter, which seems to be DOA. X-over is functioning. Replaced tweeters x-overs with Focal and is working now. Reason why I replaced the x-overs is a slight high freq hiss when the amp powers on. New x-overs have seemed to solve the hiss...

2. Been using the system for about a week or two now and the sub amp started going into protection mode even at extreme low volumes (5-10 on the volume). Checked for any wiring issues or stray wire strands that could be causing an intermittent short, etc. Wiring looks good. Now the amp will not come out of protection mode after 3 or 4 minutes of low volume play. Looking at replacing with a higher quality amp now.

The more I look at this setup, the more I see this as a low quality setup. Don't know if there was a quality or handling issue before I received the package?

Or maybe something else I am missing?

Thanks!!

23. Mar 31, 2019 at 5:52 PM
    916tundra

916tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Crewmax
    Man that sucks that you are having issues with *********. Have you contacted them for warranty and troubleshoot? Hope I don’t run into any problems with the ********* amps.

24. Mar 31, 2019 at 7:44 PM
    4077th

4077th New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5
    No I haven't contacted yet. Not sure if I will or not. I purchased 18 months ago and the boxes sat in the den until recently. Looks like their warranty is 1 year. So that is my fault.

Just on a positive note, The sub box and door speaker adapters they provide is a perfect fit and seems to be outstanding quality.

25. Apr 1, 2019 at 12:21 PM
    tubal

tubal New Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Now that you have all the adapters, it would be really simple to throw a 5 channel amp in there. I went with a Pioneer GM-D9605 for around $225 and it runs my doors and 2 10" subs behind my seats and is plenty loud. It comes with a high level speaker input, just like the taco tunes amps.

I ended up getting a Rockford DSR-1 between my HU and amp, but I ran without it for a few months going straight from the speaker level inputs under the front seat to the amp and it worked fine.

EDIT: Looks like they came out with the GM-D9705 and discontinued the D9605. I'm sure it would still work the same.

26. Apr 1, 2019 at 2:30 PM
    4077th

4077th New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5

Yes, you bring up a tempting option.

Looking into it now...

Thanks!

27. Apr 21, 2019 at 1:49 PM
    Czolgosz

Czolgosz New Member

Member:
    I'm doing my 17 CM pretty soon and just want to say THANK YOU for the pics and write-up.

28. Apr 25, 2019 at 5:11 PM
    FirstTruck

FirstTruck New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 Tundra MGM CM TRD Sport
    Stock, for now
    Great write up and always good to have the wifes help!,
    I see that you deleted the oem amplifier and did not use a DSP. I always thought that we needed one to flatten the signal and get rid of the roll offs. When receiving or making a call or when using the gps, does the voice goes to all speakers or still only to the center one? Again, very well right up. It summarizes many videos.

29. Apr 25, 2019 at 5:58 PM
    Netmonkey

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    With a non-jbl system, you do not have to use any additional sound processing. For jbl systems (platinum trim and above), ********* requires an additional sound processor that includes an equalizer and additional tuning.
    I removed the 3 dash speakers so the navigation and calls all go through ALL the speakers. It can be very loud, but fortunately, you can adjust the navigation default volume from the head unit. I turned that volume to the lowest setting and the volume is reasonable.
    Phone calls also go through ALL the speakers, but that can be adjusted from the steering wheel controls.

30. Oct 13, 2019 at 12:40 PM
    afbatts

afbatts New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    19 Black Tundra 1794 JBL
    Incredible review/write up. I am actually doing the sound deadening now before I order system. I was debating 1B or SQ1. After reading this I think the 1B will be plenty good. I am just having trouble deciding on 10’s or 12’s. You seem to really like the 12’s. The website states some sound quality is lost with the 12’s. I like the deep bass a 12 gives though. Any SQ issues with the 12’s that are noticeable?

Products Discussed in

To Top