1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sooo many strange noises from brand new 2020 Tundra sport

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by cmbezln, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Sep 12, 2020 at 9:20 AM
    Rockgate

Rockgate New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Middle TN
    Vehicle:
    2022 CMLB TRD OR Prem. 4X4 and 2002 RCLBV65Spd
    Unfortunately, I picked up a full pair of pliers with 6500 miles on my new truck.

Tundyfundy likes this.
  2. Sep 13, 2020 at 4:49 AM
    EZDoes It

EZDoes It New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    LSD (Lower Slower Delaware)
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM CM SR5 TRD exhaust, TRD wheels
    Tint, tow mirrors, remote start, Razormotor taillights, Genuine trans cooler, tailgate light strip, Extang tonneau, TRD rear sway bar, trans cooler…(thanks TRD)
    Well happy to hear things are looking up. I just found this thread this morning. Personally I had two scenarios from the first post...

1) You’re a troll from Ford/GM trying to deter potential Tundra buyers.
    2) You were scammed, having been sold an F-150 with a Tundra wrap.

I just picked up my Crewmax last month and I can’t be happier. Thank god the truck market is so strong right now. I was able to trade out of a lease one year early and come out in good shape. I could not wait to get out of that truck. You want to talk noises, 5.0 sounded like a dog whistle/turbo while accelerating, pop from intake on shifts, harsh sporadic down shifts like a neutral drop.

The crazy part is when I saw the dealership you purchased from. My ex brother-in-law works there. I haven’t spoken to him in 15 years, and that’s not quite long enough, so no help with that.

I had a small stone get stuck in a brake caliber after wheeling at Rouse Creek. Didn’t start making noise till half hour into the drive home. That was one of the most horrible noises I’ve heard from a vehicle, second only to a rod coming through the block.

Best of luck, I’m sure you’ll keep us posted. Oh, I have to ask, you’re not a Ford troll right?

3. Oct 25, 2020 at 5:25 PM
    cmbezln

cmbezln [OP] New Member

Member:
    So an update; the noises came back.

Timeline:

After noises disappeared, I took it in for service and they said they couldnt reproduce the noises or the wobble at 65 mph (the latter of which I found ridiculous since it does it every time you hit 65 mph, the noises I understood because they pretty much disappeared for me too)

Picked it back up, week or so later the clinking noise from the rear reappears....still wobbling as well. Notice all sorts of noises at this point, everything from a rattle coming from the dash, rattle coming from the engine when backing up, high pitched noises inside the cabin coming from the radio. This truck makes me feel like I'm in a prank show to be honest, I've never experienced a vehicle so ridiculous.

Anyways, took it back in for service again...drove WITH the mechanic this time so they couldn't say it's not reproducible, mechanic heard clink noise, felt wobble and was just as perplexed as I am. They had it for a week and said they balanced the wheels and one was way out of spec (seriously Toyota?) and they really aren't sure about the noises but noticed a problem with one of the brake shims where the coating was coming off or something? Anyway they ordered a new shim and swapped and said the noise didn't come back. I pick it up, drive it home...no noise. Very next day both the clink noise and now a crazy whirring squeeling noise is present. I'm getting pretty sick of this. Now scheduling third appointment.

Videos from 2 days ago:

https://youtu.be/F-MjiJnNmsI

https://youtu.be/0PCL9x0NHvc

4. Oct 25, 2020 at 5:59 PM
    cmbezln

cmbezln [OP] New Member

Member:
    I've owned 3 F-150s and all were solid as a rock, never one issue, all bought used. Considering this new tundra has been a complete joke I guess you could consider me a Ford troll, sure lol. To be honest after seeing the ridiculous lack of QC on this truck I'll probably never buy a Toyota again, it's really unbelievable.

MaxMB likes this.
  5. Oct 25, 2020 at 6:18 PM
    C.I.

C.I. Surf, off road, sleep, repeat

Member:
    First Name:
    Cesar Pedrin
    Cabo, Mx
    Vehicle:
    2016 5.7 4x4 Bronze Crewmax
    Mods: Ongoing... probably never ending
    Third time's the charm. Demand they use the microphones thingy's to detect the source, they're pretty accurate.

6. Oct 25, 2020 at 6:21 PM
    Gene5253

Gene5253 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gene
    Boise ID
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra CM Limited

Please just sell it and move on. Good luck. I have owned 5 F150s (05 Lariat CC( lowly 5.4 w/4 speed such a dog, gutless)-10 XLT CC ( dealer bought back too many issues)-11Xlt CC (transmission issues) 16 XLT (had bad knock in bottom engine traded it back) 2017 XLT 2.7 (electronic issues but great power and fuel economy) Slow learner never again Ford. Sold it and bought my 4th Tundra (2020 Limited CM) and never looked back. Had 4 Tundras and never once had it back for issues. Hope you find something you can be happy with again Good Luck

BTBAKER likes this.
  7. Oct 25, 2020 at 7:01 PM
    glowblue

glowblue From time to time

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 —> 2021 F-250 XLT
    Sell it and cut your losses. Actually you could probably get as much if not more than you paid for it. Trade it for a nice RAM 1500 Hemi 5.7L, just keep a few grand in the bank to replace the engine!

BTBAKER likes this.
  8. Oct 25, 2020 at 7:57 PM
    BTBAKER

BTBAKER DIFFERENT NAME. SAME JUNK.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    Agreed. Unload it and get what you want.
    I have a 17 that has been flawless. In fact, out of the half dozen or so Yotas I’ve owned I’ve never had any issues to really speak of.

Tundyfundy likes this.
  9. Oct 25, 2020 at 8:02 PM
    cmbezln

cmbezln [OP] New Member

Member:
    looking at the market here id be very surprised if I got 50k+ for it, especially when they go to drive it and it's clinking away, plus why go through the trouble of selling and then just pawning these problems off on some other poor sap when Toyota should just make it right in the first place?

And for the record If I got another truck it'd be a Ford again

10. Oct 25, 2020 at 8:04 PM
    cmbezln

cmbezln [OP] New Member

Member:
    Surprisingly they claimed they used the diagnostic scopes with someone in the bed and this was their best guess. It's not an easy noise to pin down

11. Oct 25, 2020 at 8:42 PM
    ZiaTundra

ZiaTundra New Member

Member:
    Raptor time :burnrubber:

Trade that thing in :santa2:

cmbezln[OP] likes this.
  12. Oct 26, 2020 at 2:16 AM
    Zero One Actual

Zero One Actual Member among Members

Member:
    Two horses and a stagecoach might make less noise. Plus you never have to worry about oil changes.

13. Oct 26, 2020 at 5:22 AM
    DIYDad

DIYDad New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra 1794

That 100% sounds like a rubber noise to me. Perhaps a belt, or something rubbing on a hose.

Good luck

14. Oct 26, 2020 at 5:48 AM
    Kung

Kung [Insert Custom Title Here]

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 CM 4WD, TRD Off-Road, Voodoo Blue
    Spiffy console tray Spiffy N-Fab steps Spiffy Katzkin seats
    Never one issue with 3 F150's? Either they weren't recent or....or I don't know what else. I've owned 3, and while one was pretty dang reliable (04 F150), and while none ever left me stranded, the two newer ones had all sorts of minor issues (seat rails squeaking, engine noises akin to what you're talking about, terrible MPG, media system froze up all the time, rough shifting when cold, etc.)

I own a 2020 that I bought in March....and I've pretty much had no issues. I HAVE had many of the noises you're talking about in my F150, and it ended up being a rock.

If you're this displeased with it, sell it and move on. If I'd had a terrible experience I'd be gun-shy as well, but bluntly put, from a purely statistical standpoint, Tundras *ARE* more reliable. One bad experience does not speak for the entirety of Toyota.

15. Oct 26, 2020 at 6:09 AM
    Saab95v6

Saab95v6 New Member

Member:
    When I purchased my 2020 platinum, I felt my steering wheel vibrating on the freeway, as if the tires were out of balance , I would not sign the papers until that was fixed . The head mechanic took it for a test drive to determine the truck was sitting in the lot all summer due to COVID, the tires had flat spots. So they changed the tires , and also replaced the battery.

Products Discussed in

To Top