1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I go back to my old job

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by SnrDisregardo, May 4, 2023.

1. May 4, 2023 at 2:10 PM
    RichterScale

RichterScale I identify as a potato

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    WNY
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCRB as base as it gets
    pin stripes (+5 hp)
    I've been at my current job for 20 yrs.
    I've been an inch away from walking out a few times and it was always because of idiot managers that were horrible at managing, made the job much harder and more stressful because of their incompetence and also liked to say condescending shit to people to make themselves feel more relevant than they actually were. I stayed because the benefits are great and it would cost me half my income for the same coverage somewhere else,...and I feel like I'm a little long in the tooth to be starting over somewhere else. Similar to your situation, the place would run like shit if I left and they would have to hire someone at much more than my salary to come in and do what I do. And even then, they probably couldn't get someone to put up with the crap that I put up with, even if they paid them a lot of $.
    All that just to say: if it got bad enough that I actually quit, and the same staff was still there, same management and I'd be going back to an even worse situation and more work than when I left,......there's not a chance in hell I'd go back.
    And if you can find similar work at similar pay, relatively easily,.....even better.
    I vote, no. Move on.

2. May 4, 2023 at 2:18 PM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    ^^This^^

If you want to go back speak to his boss and tell them you want his job and he can work under you.
    I think it took this long for him to see that you were actually making his job easy and making him look good.
    Good luck with your decision.

3. May 4, 2023 at 2:37 PM
    SnrDisregardo

SnrDisregardo [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    IL
    Vehicle:
    2018 Platinum CrewMax 4x4
    TRD Sport Suspension, TRD Front & Rear Sway bar, TRD Pro Shift knob, Charcoal Filter Delete, aFe Pro Dry S w/SABM, LineX bed, Remote Start, OEM tonneau cover, DIY pop'n lock, DIY TRD cold air intake, TRD skid plate, DD SS3 amber fogs, HotShot Offroad Hot Tails, 2020 OE radio with tech12v amp and sub.
    I think I've made my decision, but I can never help myself when it comes to, well, decisions. Plus it's nice to get some other feedback. I feel like my previous job has taken a lot away from me in terms of hobbies, interests, goals, etc. I keep thinking back to last summer after a vacation and 5 days before having to go back, almost breaking down and not wanting to. I get not wanting to go back to work after a vacation, but this time it was different. I loathed the thought of it.

Shamrock92 likes this.
  4. May 4, 2023 at 2:47 PM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    :thumbsup:

5. May 4, 2023 at 3:00 PM
    LuvCRVs

LuvCRVs New Member

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport
    Hard Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover, OEM Bed Mat, OEM All Weather Floor Mats
    I always felt the people who came back to our office came back as damaged goods.

6. May 4, 2023 at 3:06 PM
    MadMaxCanon

MadMaxCanon New Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '21 CM SR5 4x4 6 seater
    Too many, but not enough....
    it sounds like in this case it may be beneficial for you if you dont like your new gig, and clearly your old company now sees what they lost in you, so it could work to your advantage if you are able to get more pay out of them. But, I am of the opinion that people dont change more than like 15% so if you could deal with that manager being the same guy, MAYBE slightly better with higher pay, then I would do it. Worst case you can walk again when you find something better.

7. May 4, 2023 at 4:14 PM
    Shamrock92

Shamrock92 New Member

Member:
    In a word - no.

Always sounds like they need and will appreciate you more - usually winds up they screwed shit up while you were away and need you to fix it until they can line up your replacement or find a way to screw you over again.

Trust me - just went through similar - first believing their BS when I told them I was walking the first time - and then having them try to lure me back. Burn me once - shame on you….burn me twice…

You’ve been burned once - walking back in willingly is on you.

Moon Puppy likes this.
  8. May 4, 2023 at 5:44 PM
    SnrDisregardo

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    IL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Suspension, TRD Front & Rear Sway bar, TRD Pro Shift knob, Charcoal Filter Delete, aFe Pro Dry S w/SABM, LineX bed, Remote Start, OEM tonneau cover, DIY pop'n lock, DIY TRD cold air intake, TRD skid plate, DD SS3 amber fogs, HotShot Offroad Hot Tails, 2020 OE radio with tech12v amp and sub.
    Yeah I just had a phone call with the vp of operations and he is basically pointing me a picture of making up what my job would be. Working from home so I’m don’t have to deal with the problem manager, off at 3. He doesn’t even know all the details because they are trying to cater to what I want. Not going to lie, it’s nice to be in this position, but I have to keep the wool off my eyes.

T-Rex266, FlyingWolfe and ColoradoTJ like this.
  9. May 4, 2023 at 6:02 PM
    Azblue

Azblue Beer is Good Ban Moderator

Member:
    The Dirty T

Good analogy and I generally agree, especially considering a job. However, I must admit to (in the distant past) playing an ex into one hell of an exciting night of fun when they came crawling back and then throwing her to the curb the next day.

Was it nice? No. Did I have fun and did they deserve it? Hell yeah!

10. May 4, 2023 at 7:10 PM
    Bakershack

Bakershack Critical of Noncritical Thinkers

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    I left for greener pastures a few years ago, but not because of any real issues with Honeywell. Two years later I went back after finding out who took over the department. One of the greatest bosses I've ever had, and I've been back a little over a year. All this said, it was going to have to be a perfect setup for me to return, including a hefty pay increase. And it was.

T-Rex266, ColoradoTJ and Outbound like this.
  11. May 4, 2023 at 7:26 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Well it might be something to look into.

So I was in the exact position you are 15 years ago. My manager and I did not get along and was purposely passing me up on promotions and opportunities. I left (stayed in the same company) and on my exit interview I ended up saving the power plant from tripping offline since he didn't know what was going on. He asked "sure you don't wanna stay?" I got a shit eating grin and replied "are you leaving? Then sure."

Shortest exit interview ever.

Some time went by and this manager got in a bunch of trouble and was placed elsewhere. I went back to my old position with a fat raise. My career only went up from there.

Obviously they see value in what you did for them as en employee and didn't realize that until you were gone. Guess people like yourself aren't "a dime a dozen..."

It has always fascinated me on how personal people make work. For this reason I also do not spend time outside of work with these people. Find the strength in people and build upon it. Look for weaknesses and develop them to strengthen the team as a whole.

12. May 4, 2023 at 8:33 PM
    chugs

chugs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ciao
    Central Cali
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra Blue Streaker
    Do no let your ex influence your decision. Do not go back!

Screenshot_20230504_203250_Chrome~2.jpg

Bammer, Moon Puppy and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  13. May 5, 2023 at 5:41 AM
    trucksareforgirls2

trucksareforgirls2 New Member

Member:
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRD Off-Road
    I wouldn't go back, it sounds like it was a pretty toxic environment from what you have said, and that hasn't changed...

Just went through the same thing, left a toxic work place, didn't like the new job, went back to said toxic job and quickly remembered why I left in the first place, and it had only gotten worse.... I am, once again, no longer working there and have no plans to return!!

Don't be fooled, people and places don't change that quickly... If you had to go back there for financial reasons, then sure, but keep looking elsewhere is my recommendation!! Good luck, I hope you find the right match!

-T

14. May 5, 2023 at 7:37 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Well said. It sounds like a culture problem and that takes a while to change.

I went back after 3 years and it still wasn't perfect. One by one the individuals that were making the work culture what it was either left or were fired. Now I enjoy going to work...as crazy as that sounds. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my 6 months off per year, but always enjoy getting back at it. Next year will be difficult retiring.

15. May 5, 2023 at 7:39 AM
    SnrDisregardo

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    IL
    Vehicle:
    Thank you guys/gals for all of your feedback. I have an interview Monday with a different company that is essentially the same role but with CNC machines. I'm going to see how everything goes with that before I make a decision.

Sucks that this is happening in my 40's because if I had to do it all over again, I'd go into the trades, but responsibilities and all, I wouldn't be able to make $15/hour to make ends meet until an apprenticeship ends.

16. May 5, 2023 at 7:49 AM
    SouthWestGA

SouthWestGA New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra CrewMAX and 2014 Nissan NV3500 Passenger
    Good on you for keeping your mind open.

we never know what’s in store for our future despite whatever way we try and control it

It sounds like you know better than to go back and deal with the headaches and know your limits

now,opportunity to bypass the dummies and be in charge of your own drama? Sounds tempting if you can get it in writing

best of luck to ya!

17. May 5, 2023 at 8:05 AM
    SnrDisregardo

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    IL
    Vehicle:
    That's where it became incredibly hard. They don't know exactly what the role will be, and I told them that I wanted to jot down what I think my role would be and we are going to converse next week as well. I feel like I can cater this to my needs now, especially with working from home and being done at 3, having a dozen or so house accounts, being able to teach and train staff on procedures, build SOP's. Basically doing what I was without the manager title.

But I also know the culture of the business and customers.

18. May 5, 2023 at 9:22 AM
    hagrid

hagrid The most diverse of Diversity Hires!

Member:
    First Name:
    Spraynard
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    K1600GTL ZX-14R
    paynuss stretchers
    @SnrDisregardo

If you do go back, pee on everything. That way the beta that is challenging your alpha status will either submit to you or leave.

Also, it'll help if you softly growl whilst sniffing everyone's butt.

19. May 5, 2023 at 9:40 AM
    SnrDisregardo

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    IL
    Vehicle:
    Solid advice as always.

20. May 5, 2023 at 10:48 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    We start our apprentices at 31.00 per hour and 4 years later around 41.50 per hour. Then we start training them on controls and if they make it to the control room...50-56.00. Good money in the power industry.

Traveling nurses pull down major bank as well.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  21. May 5, 2023 at 10:50 AM
    Mr.bee

Mr.bee King Turdra

Member:
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    '02 AC TRD
    If you're in a nice part of CO i'd play apprentice for a summer.

And i'd have to bring along my whatever support dog. For equal pay, i'd assume.

22. May 5, 2023 at 11:41 AM
    SnrDisregardo

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    IL
    Vehicle:
    As @Mr.bee said, what part of CO and I'd be hard pressed not to consider relocation. LOL.

23. May 5, 2023 at 11:48 AM
    iantung

iantung Mods wouldn't be an issue if money wasn't.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Cypress, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 White Tundra CM SR5
    Is it too late to start out approaching mid-40s?

FlyingWolfe likes this.
  24. May 5, 2023 at 12:35 PM
    Coastboater

Coastboater New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2019 1794
    Wheels & Tires, Power Running Boards
    Sent you a pm.

25. May 5, 2023 at 1:01 PM
    dondino

dondino New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    don
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tunda Crewmax
    Don't go back there. He will try to make you grab your ankles at some point. Once a dick always a dick. I'm so glad I'm retired.

26. May 5, 2023 at 1:05 PM
    Mr.bee

Mr.bee King Turdra

Member:
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    '02 AC TRD
    Since my dog likes roadtrips so much, i might set up a light duty hotshot service. Preferably stuff i wont need a trailer for. And wont have to leave texas. I've got an in with gun and parts delivery. Might even work out to a national deal, since they'll be gaurded, insured, and videoed if i can teach polo to narrate.

27. May 5, 2023 at 1:09 PM
    FlyingWolfe

FlyingWolfe Wolfie

Member:
    First Name:
    Crystal
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road Inferno
    This was exactly the words I was going to use. A shitty coworker/manager and a general toxic work environment will typically not change until the head gets chopped off, so to speak. Im pursuing self employment so I can put my notice in at my job currently for that reason. I have two coworkers, one is the laziest sob Ive EVER had to work with, the other is a backstabbing dickhead and brown-noses the manager. Said manager will also steam-roll whoever it takes to cover his own ass. Its essentially an unlicensed daycare, if I were in your shoes and months later they requested I return with the same staff I absolutely would not do it. Just my .02

tsinajinii and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  28. May 5, 2023 at 1:20 PM
    Mr.bee

Mr.bee King Turdra

Member:
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    '02 AC TRD
    Theres definately a strut that happens when you've been requested by name, but only if you command the respect you deserve. Fast motorcycles and dangerous cars help with that kinda confidence. Take out your abs fuse.

29. May 5, 2023 at 1:47 PM
    SnrDisregardo

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    IL
    Vehicle:
  30. May 5, 2023 at 1:53 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Double Cab Limited 5.7L 4X4
    I wanted a faster vehicle so I also bought a Chevy SS... because 4 door sedans with big V8’s are hilarious.
    LOL, my post full of irresponsible ideas has been removed!

Cpl_Punishment and ColoradoTJ like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top