1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shooting in El Paso, Texas

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Rica25, Aug 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 3, 2019 at 11:58 PM
    Twinky

Twinky Keep the shinny side up!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Kemah, Texas chillin on my ChrisCraft 480
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab work horse
    Stereo upgrades: -HU, Pioneer Mvh bs501 -Tweeters, Peerless(vifa) XT25SC90-04 1" Dual Ring Radiator s in custom pods. -Mids, Silver Flute W17RC38-04 6.5" Wool Cone Woofer. -Subwoofer, American Bass XR12. 2.3^3ft tuned @33-34 hz. -Tw Amp, Old School 2ch Sony. -Mids Amp, Old School Autotek Sx275. -Sub Amp, Old School Memphis 16-pr1.1000 -Zero gauge big 3. 0 and 4 gauge copper runs to amps.
    Agreed.

This is the second shooting in like a week and a half?

Its tragic. There is something affecting our society, and like stated above, its not something that is the product of a couple specific things.

Suicide rates for young men and teens is currently the highest on record. People are being socially and financial ruined for speaking the wrong thoughts. A new movement of identity politics that judge ppl based on their..... That's a lot of pressure for our youth and things don't look like its declining.

Its tragic.

Sas[QUOTED] and Rica25[OP] like this.
  2. Aug 4, 2019 at 12:23 AM
    realtorblake

realtorblake Tundra Thunda

Member:
    Redneckistan... aka Cypress, TX
    2019 Crewmax Platinum 5" Zone lift Fox 2.5 /OME suspension 12.5x35x18 ProComp's
    There are plenty of jobs available for todays disillusioned youth's. The problem is some of their parents coddled them and the kids think that starting from scratch and working for a living is below them. It is a product of the parents providing everything for them. The kids now want instant gratification..like their parents gave them. That doesn't always happen.

Rica25[OP] likes this.
  3. Aug 4, 2019 at 1:50 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas

This is, in my opinion, the biggest factor for why this keeps happening. People always make the comment “This never used to happen”. A lot of things never used to happen. All it takes is one time, and it will happen again, and again. That’s how people work. We for the most part do what we see others do in our situations.
    Not “social media”, but media in general propagates it. Before the internet and global news, we didn’t hear about every single thing that happened on the planet. Now that we do, it makes the world seem more terrible and hopeless than it really is. Though it doesn’t seem like it, we are statistically living 8n the safest time in human history.
    The result is that not only does the world seem more unbearable to someone like this, it also gives them the idea for a way to hurt the world back. It’s exponential. The more something happens, the more it’s going to happen.
    The best way I can think of is for as many of us as possible to spread as much kindness as possible. You never know what effect one act of decency can have on a person. Kindness is also exponential.

4. Aug 4, 2019 at 2:44 AM
    Newphi18

Newphi18 New Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Well said!

Rica25[OP] likes this.
  5. Aug 4, 2019 at 4:12 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    Kindness.jpg

6. Aug 4, 2019 at 4:44 AM
    1UPPER

1UPPER Not A New Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Flux capacitor!
    I had to do a double take when I read a news report saying “shooter dead” this morning. Then I realized it’s another shooting that just happened in Dayton, Ohio. This is tragic news to hear. My condolences to the families members.

Rica25[OP] and aperezsh like this.
  7. Aug 4, 2019 at 5:28 AM
    NH2BV

NH2BV Daily drivers!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Las Cruces, NM
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tundra TRD Off Road
    Rock Stock OEM beast
    The thing that I don't understand is where are the concealed carriers? I know whenever I venture out of the house, I am carrying (even in California). I know that I have been in that Wal Mart in the past (carrying). I can only think it happened so fast that folks that were carrying weren't on site quick enough to make a difference.

And, there is the very distinct possibility that the folks that were carrying were too busy ducking for cover. I know I would have been looking after the family members and innocents before drawing the weapon in defense. We really never know what will happen when the shooting starts.

I pray for the families and friends of the victims.

8. Aug 4, 2019 at 5:35 AM
    BTBAKER

BTBAKER DIFFERENT NAME. SAME JUNK.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    May god help the families who have a loved one injured or killed in this senseless shooting. RIP to the unfortunate who have lost their lives.

Rica25[OP], aperezsh and Moon Puppy like this.
  9. Aug 4, 2019 at 5:49 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    If you are a responsible law-abiding citizen, then you should do the following: Buy guns. Buy ammo. Then, buy more.

10. Aug 4, 2019 at 5:53 AM
    ardnutoz

ardnutoz

Member:
    First Name:
    OZ
    SE-PA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black TRD OR CM Limited
    most concealed carriers are not trained for a mass shooting situation or any type of stressful situation as the merely exercised their 2nd amendment, bought a cool kids glock and stuffed it in their pickup.

and for those that have received formal firearms training and have experience with tactics, there is a lot to process in a very short period of time.

think about the long aisles in a walmart, most people couldn't engage a long gun shooter that is 30 +yds away and accurately make a head/torso shot at that distance while under fire and with minimal to no cover. you would have to flank him and hope he is not aware of your intentions and gets the drop on you. now imagine in the heat of that moment, the LEO's enter and you are what they first see with a gun, hopefully they deal with you and not pop off a round, but the real shooter now has the drop on them as their attention is on you and it's up to the guys to keep good situational awareness and provide cover during the process of detaining you.

like the article from heavy states, "I thought it was a heavy box falling, or i thought it was construction" with out training and knowing how to differentiate a gun shot from a nailer or jack hammer, in the midst of pure chaos your everyday Joe carrier is inefficient in that fight. sure he has a fighting chance but the odds are not in his favor due to lack of training and awareness.

my prayers to all families involved and to all our serving brave men and women that have to run into these situations to witness the horrors of mankind.

Quicktan66, Major, chargedup and 3 others like this.
  11. Aug 4, 2019 at 6:15 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    I don't know about where you live, but our local LEO train with their cool kids Glock... they are trained to expect law abiding citizens to respond and assist with their own cool kids Glock. Our LEO know a good guy with a cool kids Glock will probably be on the scene long before they arrive, it's a community effort.

NewImprovedRon and Rica25[OP] like this.
  12. Aug 4, 2019 at 6:24 AM
    Twinky

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab work horse
    Stereo upgrades: -HU, Pioneer Mvh bs501 -Tweeters, Peerless(vifa) XT25SC90-04 1" Dual Ring Radiator s in custom pods. -Mids, Silver Flute W17RC38-04 6.5" Wool Cone Woofer. -Subwoofer, American Bass XR12. 2.3^3ft tuned @33-34 hz. -Tw Amp, Old School 2ch Sony. -Mids Amp, Old School Autotek Sx275. -Sub Amp, Old School Memphis 16-pr1.1000 -Zero gauge big 3. 0 and 4 gauge copper runs to amps.
    Has there been a statement released about the motive behind this I incident yet?

Rica25[OP] likes this.
  13. Aug 4, 2019 at 6:30 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    ANTIFA

14. Aug 4, 2019 at 6:30 AM
    Moon Puppy

Moon Puppy I'm not new!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited
    He said he's fighting the "Hispanic invasion".

Rica25[OP] likes this.
  15. Aug 4, 2019 at 6:43 AM
    Twinky

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab work horse
    Is it ironic that Antifa could just as easily have been viewed by the shooter as a large influencer on the immigration issue but instead... Well, you know...

16. Aug 4, 2019 at 7:06 AM
    Racingjohndeere55

Racingjohndeere55 New Member

Member:
    I'm not preaching. if it offends you, I'm just quoting something that was written about 2000 years ago.

For people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred.

Law323, Sas, Rica25[OP] and 3 others like this.
  17. Aug 4, 2019 at 7:07 AM
    airgunner

airgunner New Member

Member:
    N-KY
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC MGM TRD
    IMO... saying it's all because of video game is just as naive as saying video games have nothing to do with it at all. This is obviously a complex issue and it's not going to boil down to one single thing but I do think you can rule out some things.

Many people today want to blame guns, specifically so called "assault weapons" and "high capacity" magazines. I think its pretty safe to say they are not the problem considering guns in general and so called "assault weapons" and "high capacity" magazines specifically have been around for a very long time. Even saying they are easier to access these days is a lie. AR15's have been in public circulation since the early 70's. Mass shootings didn't become a "thing" for another 30+ years later. Also, just like drugs, alcohol, prostitution, gambling, etc., banning them isn't going to make the problem go away.

Some will blame the "mental health crisis" and it's easy to do because obviously anyone who commits this kind of senseless violence has to be mentally disturbed but it's not that simple. Crazy people aren't a new thing, they have been around since the beginning of time and overall, mental health treatment options are probably better now then at any time in the past, especially in this country.

So what's going on? We have to first come to the realization that this isn't a gun or mental heath problem. At it's core, its a violence problem. At no other time in history was it so common for people to just randomly kill innocent people with little or no real reason.

So why is this happening now? What's changed? One of the biggest changes over the last 30 years mass media and entertainment. I'm talking Internet and social media, 24 hour news networks, Hollywood and yes, video games. Internet and social media media expose these damaged minds to ideas, like minded people and information that help them plan out their attacks in ways that was not possible 30 years ago. 24h news networks that sensationalize these events to fill air time and get more advertising dollars. Hollywood that depicts gobs of unrealistic gratuitous violence and often glorifies it and yes, video games. Games such as grand theft auto that allows kids to spend a couple of hours having "fun" being violent in a virtual world. It's beyond foolish to think that all the media (and the easy access to it) has no effect on these mental damaged minds.

Obviously millions of people use mass media daily without going on shooting sprees but denying there is any correlation is as I said naive and is just enabling the problem to continue. I'm not saying it's all the media's fault either. There are other factors involved here too but if we are going to denounce hateful, senseless acts of violence we see happening all over the country then we also need to denounce that same violence that is portrayed in mainstream media too. Otherwise we are just being hypocrites.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    Rica25[OP] and Kn4x2 like this.
  18. Aug 4, 2019 at 7:13 AM
    FoghornTX

FoghornTX Proud American and Infidel since 1968

Member:
    Ft Worth, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 Camry XSE (Black w/blackout package)
    I just want all my Tundra brothers and sisters to be careful on here with what you post. We all have opinions about shit like this. And arguing here won't do a damned thing except get you some time off from the place.

careful.jpg

realtorblake, Law323, Sas and 2 others like this.
  19. Aug 4, 2019 at 7:16 AM
    aperezsh

aperezsh Blessed are the peacemakers

Member:
    First Name:
    Ali
    cal-exit landed in GA
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra SR5 4x4 Crew Max Magnetic Gray Metallic
    A little this and that...Broke now
    What a mess :mad::mad: This is truly evil with back to back active shooters, first El Paso then Dayton the next day. I'm deeply saddened by all this needless murder and death. I pray to GOD for healing and comfort for the victim's families.

Has anyone seen anything on the LE response times to the shooter in El Paso? Dayton's response was under a minute and the shooter killed by LE.

Tundyfundy, Law323 and Kn4x2 like this.
  20. Aug 4, 2019 at 7:22 AM
    Moon Puppy

Moon Puppy I'm not new!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited
    Respectfully, No, it is not.

Deinstitutionalization is a step backwards in the care and treatment of our mentally ill. Only a handful of countries do it, US, UK and AU among them, other developed countries are increasing the sizes of their "institutions".

Sending someone home who's paranoid schizophrenic, manic depressive or whatever and have them self medicate, especially if they have no care giver has been a disaster. Any number of social issues today can be directly attributed to Deinstitutionalization including these mass shootings.

Law323 likes this.
  21. Aug 4, 2019 at 7:32 AM
    Twinky

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab work horse
    Socrates?

Rica25[OP] likes this.
  22. Aug 4, 2019 at 7:33 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Deinstitutionalization "would produce bureaucratic disruption in welfare agencies and fiscal disruption in local and state governments"

Moon Puppy likes this.
  23. Aug 4, 2019 at 7:45 AM
    TundraMcGov.

TundraMcGov. Your friend. Your foe. Not yo Ho.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jofus
    Burpinham, Babalama
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White DC 4X4 Tundra
    Making sure that no one has already forgotten about the murder of the 38 school CHILDREN.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

Been sickos for a very very very long time. Freedom can have such a tough slant.

Kn4x2[QUOTED] likes this.
  24. Aug 4, 2019 at 7:49 AM
    Twinky

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab work horse
    I think we could agree that there are individuals with influenced motives, individuals with mental health issues, and individuals that hold extreme views, ect that have unfortunately gone down this path.

In Baltimore they are on track for an average of 1 homicide a day this year. Detroit or Chicago (can't remember ATM), on each of the last three national holidays have averaged somewhere near 35 to 40 shooting each time.

California, Ice detention center attempted attack. Then the shooting at the Garlic festival...

There's so many different variables.

Moon Puppy likes this.
  25. Aug 4, 2019 at 7:57 AM
    Racingjohndeere55

Racingjohndeere55 New Member

Member:
    A feller named "Timothy "

26. Aug 4, 2019 at 8:05 AM
    Mr Badwrench

Mr Badwrench New Member

Member:

I don't know man... I played this game called Mario Brothers once, ever since I have had this weird compulsion to jump on turtles and throw the shells at birds and plants with teeth. It messed me up pretty good.

TX87hauler, Law323, mdavis and 2 others like this.
  27. Aug 4, 2019 at 8:09 AM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    Well said. You nailed it.

28. Aug 4, 2019 at 8:23 AM
    airgunner

airgunner New Member

Member:
    N-KY
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC MGM TRD
    I'm curious as to how you came to the conclusion because to the best of my knowledge, none of these mass murders were hospitalized and then released before they committed their attacks? Even assuming that was the situation in a few these cases, I know that certainly wasn't the case in the overwhelming majority of them.

I would also say IMO that locking up all mentally ill people in an institution and throwing away the key isn't much of an answer either.

PS - I do mostly agree with War machine's "Monkey see, Monkey do" theory and that 24 hours news has helped fuel that but again, there is a lot more to it then just that.

Rica25[OP] likes this.
  29. Aug 4, 2019 at 8:44 AM
    Moon Puppy

Moon Puppy I'm not new!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited
    That's the problem. There's hardly any institutions today for the care and treatment of our mentally ill.
    I didn't say it was. What I'm talking about is the overall care and treatment of our mentally ill.

I've seen the system inside out. I've had to take my Brother-in-Law out of the hospital and walk him around to the emergency room just to get another doctor to care for him because of the "rules". If it were not for my Wife (his Sister) being legal guardian and caregiver he would be on the street thinking everyone else is crazy, he's the only sane one.

Another time we had to drive 50 miles to pick him up when he was hallucinating at a halfway house and the director refused to call an ambulance because of insurance regulations and that would mean he accepts responsibility for his care. We had to drive him to the hospital while he saw snakes coming out of his skin and was eating paper trying to stop it. Yeah that's messed up ain't it?

No there's no simple answer but we better start addressing the question because it's only going to get worse and keep repeating.

Not interested in a pissing contest either so peace out, i'm tapping out on this.

30. Aug 4, 2019 at 8:45 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:

It's been reported that the El Paso murderers father is the former Director of Dual Diagnosis at a psychiatric hospital.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top