1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rough country inline speedometer calibrator

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by fundratss, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Jan 8, 2020 at 4:44 AM
    azTony

azTony member since sept, 2017 and over 1,600 messages

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Sun Lakes, AZ
    Vehicle:
    *** OV Tune Order #4481 *** ECU 0CN21 ***
    2018 Tundra Platinum with Icon Stage 9 w/3.0 and billet UCA, Harrop Elockers, 5.29 on 37’s
    I just bought a used Hypertech from this For Sale section and there was a wire pulled from the connector. Not an easy fix because of the small size of the pins and all wires are black. Hypertech agreed to fix it for me at a price but pisses me off I did not pull a wire out by taking it out of the box. Tried to get a little compensation from the seller but no reply, he is not happy but I do not think he is as pissed off as I am.

I did not see the Rough Country option, I could have bought that and installed it for the price I paid for a broken one

2. Jan 14, 2020 at 3:59 AM
    nlg4021

nlg4021 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White TRD Sport Tundra
    2" level, 34 Mickey Thompson ATZ, tint, Magnuson SC, pedal commander and katzkin leather
    Talked to rough country, they said it works for the 2020 so I ordered one. Installed last night. Only thing this morning was it seemed to have lost the initial programming and I had to do it over. Besides that its working. Anyone else have an issue with having to re-program?

3. Jan 14, 2020 at 4:46 AM
    azTony

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Sun Lakes, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum with Icon Stage 9 w/3.0 and billet UCA, Harrop Elockers, 5.29 on 37’s
    I installed mine but it had a problem when I put in 275/55R20 for the original tire size and 35" for new size. The calculation looked backward to me but assumed that is the way the program works. When I drove it I confirmed I was right and had to reprogram. I then found the real size of that tire and put in both tire sizes by actual dimension and it worked... almost. The numbers are off still so I need to dial it in. Not easy task because I do not see anything that tells how to manually program it.

4. Jan 23, 2020 at 2:21 PM
    SprinterAE86

SprinterAE86 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Charlottetown, PE, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Sequoia Platinum
    Bilstein 5100 2.3/1.5, TRD sway bars ft/rr, Cooper Tires Discoverer AT3 XLT 295.70.18, Vision Manx 2 18x9 +12, APS side armor steps, TRD-Pro Grill and Bulge, de-chromed, blackout emblems, OEM mirror caps and flares, TRD shift knob, Leather wrapped steering wheel, All weather mats
    2020 Toyota Tundra SR5 4x4 with Toyota Safety Sense

I just installed Rough Country/Hypertech speedometer calibrator this morning after updating the firmware and inputting my parameters. Factory size 275.65.18 and new 295.70.18 (34.2"). Speedometer now reads 1-2 miles over gps and radar, which is okay by me. But if I entered the actual diameter of the tire when I measured it, it would have been dead on.

But, there's always a but. On my way home, I set the cruise control to 75, and speedo and gps reads 79mph. Whoa!!! slow down, set the cruise to 72 and that locked it to 75.

I called Rough Country tech support and they said that it does not show in their system or Hypertech's website if it's compatible. They are offering my a complete refund it I return it.
    I called Hypertech to see if they are going to do an update, and they said they have to look at the sales if there is a demand for it before they can do anything else, but eventually, they will get into it. When I mentioned about the dynamic cruise control, they said, they still have not figured that out.

Hypertech/RC works, but set your cruise control and adjust base on the speedometer, not the cruise control speed.

5. Jan 24, 2020 at 3:29 AM
    azTony

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Sun Lakes, AZ
    Vehicle:
    This is interesting... I just added a Rough Country speedo calibrator because I bought a used Hypertech on here from sstoddard and it had one wire come loose from the connector pin and when looked at closer they all were loose. Needless to say that one was trash and I lost my ass since electronics is hard to govern when a situation occurs. Whatever

When I got the Rough Country in and updated the firmware and then calibrated it the ratio number did not look correct (looked opposite to me) to me but figured they know what they are doing and I left it as it was. When I drove it I found that it was indeed reversed and the gap in the speedo reading and actual speed was way off. I went in and changed the settings this time to the actual tire size in inches (the first time I put the factory tire size 275/55R20 and new tire size 35) and it worked fine. I seen at low speeds I was not quite 2 miles over but at 75 I was doing 79 which is normal since the ratio the gap between the speedo and actual increase with speed.

I have changed the size several times trying to get the ration number into the value I calculated it should be but each time the low speed difference was about the same. I have to admit each and every time I was checking my speed it was with the cruise control set and I have the adaptive radar on my 2018. Now I need to do more testing with no radar and see how the numbers stack up. This is interesting.

I called and talked to Rough Country and asked if I could just change the ratio value to what I calculated and he said no our software does not allow you to do that. I told him that the software that they use was Hypertech's and he said he did not know that. In the end he told me to just keep playing with the numbers until the value for the ratio is what I need. Now this brings up another issue with the cruise control which 80% of my driving is all cruise control

6. Jan 24, 2020 at 3:47 AM
    SprinterAE86

SprinterAE86 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100 2.3/1.5, TRD sway bars ft/rr, Cooper Tires Discoverer AT3 XLT 295.70.18, Vision Manx 2 18x9 +12, APS side armor steps, TRD-Pro Grill and Bulge, de-chromed, blackout emblems, OEM mirror caps and flares, TRD shift knob, Leather wrapped steering wheel, All weather mats
    Hypertech makes Rough Country calibrator. That's where the customer support re-verify if the RC calibrator is going to be compatible with 19-20. Since you have the ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) on your 18, you fall under the 19-20 category too. Not 100% compatible. You just have to adjust your speed in when ACC is engage.

I left the USB plugged in and had it tucked under the dash as well for future reprogramming. So I do not have to take the cluster apart again and misplace another screw.

azTony[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jan 24, 2020 at 3:54 AM
    azTony

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Sun Lakes, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I did the same thing, I have the USB cable behind the drivers kick panel. I had a cop coming after me on the highway on the way to work yesterday and I realized how fast I was going and was getting off an exit. By the time I got off and turned down the first street to my work I never seen the cop. Not sure he was after me but got me thinking about this and how easy it is to forget while driving and not having to do constant math

8. Jan 24, 2020 at 5:15 AM
    SprinterAE86

SprinterAE86 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    My speedo reads 75, but doing 73-74 via GPS. I'll keep it that way instead of making it precise. But definitely drop 3mph on acc setting.

9. Jan 25, 2020 at 5:34 AM
    azTony

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Sun Lakes, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Yesterday on my way home I was watching the GPS just next to the instrument cluster and was not using Cruise Control and I did not see a difference. I then decided to get in a constant speed that is steady then turned on the CC and watched but the dash and GPS speed stayed the same.

Does anyone else in hear have a 2018 Platinum with a “Rough Country” calibrator that has the same speedometer problem with CC?

10. Jan 25, 2020 at 6:04 AM
    SprinterAE86

SprinterAE86 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    Tony, It will all vary depending on the tire size as well tony. My actual tire diameter is 33.75 dismounted, mounted @55psi is 33.25 on an 18x9 wheel and fully loaded bed. The same tire on an 18x8 will be a little taller with the same psi and load. Then a completely different tire will have a different diameter all together having more rubber. Toyota calibrated the speedometer to to close to the tire size they offer for the vehicle and for safety/liability, makes it read a little higher.

Wild Peak 34.3
    Trail grapler 354.5
    AT3 XLT 34.25 =33.75 actual

Before swapping tires, still on steel wheels and 255.70.18. My speedo was already off by a 1-2 mph between 70 and 75 mph. I can make my calibration more precise, but I'd rather read higher and going slower. I go over 10 all the time, don't want to get clocked going 10, 8-9 will be safe. ;)

11. Feb 3, 2020 at 6:27 PM
    BrianDLC

BrianDLC New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Rockland,NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 White Tundra TRD PRO
    CB RADIO LOL General Grabbers x3
    just read all threads now I can sleep seeing everyone is as confused as me lol ok so the Rough Country is made by hypertech. which one should purchase for a 2019 TRDPRO i insist on driving my truck until I fix this. really don't want to throw my miles off too much.

thanks in advance

12. Mar 2, 2020 at 5:35 PM
    100LL

100LL smells better than Jet-A

Member:
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5
    Potatoes.

You're the only person I've found that installed a calibrator in a 2019-2020. What did you take apart to get to the connector? Any links to tutorial videos? I can't find jack for our years... Same procedure for 2014-2018? Also, have you noticed if it adjusts the odometer too? I really don't care about the cruise control issues.

13. Mar 4, 2020 at 10:29 AM
    SprinterAE86

SprinterAE86 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    I'll try to write down the procedure when I get home.

14. Mar 4, 2020 at 10:35 AM
    100LL

Member:
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5
    Potatoes.
    No worries, I ended up figuring it out yesterday. I didn't realize you had to take the whole cluster out. Basically start taking the parts under steering wheel apart and work your way up. The only thing I fucked up was the piece of fabric between the dash and the steering column cover...

15. Mar 4, 2020 at 10:37 AM
    SprinterAE86

SprinterAE86 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    Yup, I did not hook that fabric back in place.

100LL likes this.
  16. Mar 4, 2020 at 10:38 AM
    100LL

Member:
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5
    Potatoes.
    I tried but after 45 minutes of raging I just shoved it back above it lol

17. Aug 4, 2020 at 5:00 PM
    treetreego

treetreego New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    MS
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Crewmax TSS 4x4
    295/65/20 Nitto Trail Grappler MT on Fuel Mavericks, Leveled
    So after reading all the speedometer calibration threads I could find on here it looks like the RC is the best option for a 2020. Still not clear though. So the RC works for the speedo but not the digital display and not for cruise control, is that right??

18. Dec 4, 2020 at 5:03 PM
    1_thirsty_tundra

1_thirsty_tundra The Thirsty Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alberta Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 Off-Road Crew Max
    Spintech custom exhaust Bilstein 6112 / 5100 Coachbuilder shackles / shims Vled LED interior Winjet tails Pacer high 5 cab lights Fuel Contra 20x10-18 wheels Wireless Apple Carplay/ Android auto Custom Pioneer stereo system Custom Crewmax underseat storage
    Im just wondering do you have to leave the RC device plugged into your OBDII all the time ? If not how do you get it to program to your truck ?

19. Jul 18, 2021 at 4:16 PM
    RussellVaughan

RussellVaughan New Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2015 Gray TSS 5.7 CM SR5 4x4
    AMP Research PowerSteps; Katzkin leather seats (Nightrunner, all black, no perf/logo); TRD 18" BBS Forged rims; Nitto Terra Grappler G2 LT295/70R18) tires; LT295/70R18 spare tire; Rough Country speedo calibrator; Fox 2.0 IFP front & rear w/1" leaf blocks; TRD PRO black headlamps w/Headlight Revolution harness; TRD PRO grill w/color match hood bulge; RCI engine skid plate; BakFlip MX4 tonneau; Baja Design Squadron Sport fog lights w/clear wide lens; front/rear color match bumper covers; K&N CAI; Pedal Commander throttle controller w-trailer brake bezel; SE Toyota wireless charger tray; VLEDS interior and exterior LED lights; AJT Designs interior chrome delete; Sparks Parts driver side grab handle kit; Pop&Lock tailgate lock; ICS Fab dash mount w/support plate; ICS Fab center console mount; SNS Custom Design ABS sensor guards; TRD PRO shift knob; Undercover Swingcase bed storage; Rad Rubber Design engine splash guards; Bull Ring bed rail tie-downs; exterior debadge w/black & engine badge and black 4x4 badge; Charvonia Design billet bed tie-down anchors; rear console USB port; TRD rear sway bar; Fumoto Oil Pan Valve; Toyota metal oil filter assembly; Vexing R1 dash cam; X2Power 24F Battery.
    It’s doesn’t plug into the obd. It plugs inline to the harness to the instrument panel.

20. Jul 18, 2021 at 4:18 PM
    RussellVaughan

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    AMP Research PowerSteps; Katzkin leather seats (Nightrunner, all black, no perf/logo); TRD 18" BBS Forged rims; Nitto Terra Grappler G2 LT295/70R18) tires; LT295/70R18 spare tire; Rough Country speedo calibrator; Fox 2.0 IFP front & rear w/1" leaf blocks; TRD PRO black headlamps w/Headlight Revolution harness; TRD PRO grill w/color match hood bulge; RCI engine skid plate; BakFlip MX4 tonneau; Baja Design Squadron Sport fog lights w/clear wide lens; front/rear color match bumper covers; K&N CAI; Pedal Commander throttle controller w-trailer brake bezel; SE Toyota wireless charger tray; VLEDS interior and exterior LED lights; AJT Designs interior chrome delete; Sparks Parts driver side grab handle kit; Pop&Lock tailgate lock; ICS Fab dash mount w/support plate; ICS Fab center console mount; SNS Custom Design ABS sensor guards; TRD PRO shift knob; Undercover Swingcase bed storage; Rad Rubber Design engine splash guards; Bull Ring bed rail tie-downs; exterior debadge w/black & engine badge and black 4x4 badge; Charvonia Design billet bed tie-down anchors; rear console USB port; TRD rear sway bar; Fumoto Oil Pan Valve; Toyota metal oil filter assembly; Vexing R1 dash cam; X2Power 24F Battery.
    I just installed the RC speedometer calibrator on my 2015. Everything works fine, GPS indicates spot on all the way up through 65 mph at least.

however, now the instrument panel display screen for “miles to empty” says “low fuel”. Any ideas? Guess I’ll be calling customer support tomorrow…

edit: I have almost a full tank of gas.

21. Jul 19, 2021 at 8:28 AM
    RussellVaughan

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    edit: issue resolved. just needed to drive it a few miles so distance to empty could be recalculated.

22. Oct 29, 2021 at 3:45 PM
    DanTundra

DanTundra Danny

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ribbon Blue Tundra SR5 4x4
    TRD sway bar, airbag kit, Diamondback HD, LED headlights, Pedal Commander, Bilsteins 6112's up front with shims (2.5 inch lift), 5160s in the rear with CB +2 shackles (1.5 inch lift), Falken Wildpeak AT3W 285/75/18, TRD Pro Grill insert, MattGecko under hood and bed light kit,
    Does anybody have a RC Speedometer Calibrator and an aftermarket remote starter? I'm having issues with my aftermarket (Compustar) remote start. The remote/brain thinks the truck is running, but the truck just cranks then the factory alarm goes off.

RC and Hypertech both are saying they've never heard of this issue.

23. Jan 17, 2022 at 12:47 PM
    texasrho83

texasrho83 DGAF#1

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Conroe TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC MGM 4x4
    See build link
    In the calibration phase, do you put in the OEM tire/wheel size the dealer installed or the stock tire size from the factory? I'm assuming factory.

24. Jan 17, 2022 at 1:34 PM
    DanTundra

DanTundra Danny

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD sway bar, airbag kit, Diamondback HD, LED headlights, Pedal Commander, Bilsteins 6112's up front with shims (2.5 inch lift), 5160s in the rear with CB +2 shackles (1.5 inch lift), Falken Wildpeak AT3W 285/75/18, TRD Pro Grill insert, MattGecko under hood and bed light kit,
    I would go with factory. I put in factory and updated size (using tire manufacturer specs found on their website), and my speedometer is reading about 3-5MPH higher than what Google Maps says I'm driving which I'm fine with.

25. Jan 17, 2022 at 1:39 PM
    texasrho83

texasrho83 DGAF#1

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Conroe TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC MGM 4x4
    See build link
    Hmm. I'm reading my speedo with that sort of gap in accuracy as it stands now :monocle:

26. Jan 17, 2022 at 1:43 PM
    DanTundra

DanTundra Danny

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    DOH! :homer:...I mean mine is reading 3-5 MPH LOWER than Google maps. Before RC calibrator I was about 7-10MPH higher than Google maps.

27. Jan 17, 2022 at 1:44 PM
    texasrho83

texasrho83 DGAF#1

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Conroe TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC MGM 4x4
    See build link
    Ahhhh. I still hope to get it closer to actual

28. Jan 17, 2022 at 1:49 PM
    DanTundra

DanTundra Danny

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    I'm sure I could tweak it closer, but I was fine with it. I tucked the USB connector under the dash near the hood pull so I can access it easily for updates and to check the programming.

texasrho83[QUOTED] likes this.
  29. Jan 17, 2022 at 1:49 PM
    Ryuu

Ryuu zoom

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    SouthEast, TX
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD PRO Barcelona Red
    Try the OEM size that comes with the factory 18" wheels, think it was 275/65r18. My hypertech is right on the mark with 35s.

texasrho83[QUOTED] likes this.
  30. Jan 17, 2022 at 1:50 PM
    texasrho83

texasrho83 DGAF#1

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Conroe TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC MGM 4x4
    See build link
    Thanks guys. Been reading the reviews on their site and looks like you can choose not to adjust gear shift points which is great considering my DAP tune does that already

Products Discussed in

To Top