1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ridge grappler

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Joeshaker, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Mar 17, 2017 at 10:39 PM
    Joeshaker

Joeshaker [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    Bilstein 6112/5160 trd sway bar and ride rite bags. Black and burnt orange wet okole seat covers.
    No offense Matt, but I don't call this an intermittent thing it will do the exact same thing every time I take a certain couple of corners at 30 mph, the posted limit for the roads to and from my house. Not that severe of corners that I could easily go much faster through with the trac off without coming close to loosing traction. All my test runs with different tire pressure and now three different tires on dry pavement. One of those sets of tires are the same size as stock and were on the truck with zero trac going off. Even when the road was nasty. Put the 285/70 exo's on, immediately noticed what at first I thought was rubbing in the front fender liners. Nope, it's the trac. Now it even does it with the same tires that were on it before. Techstream showed the wheel speed difference outside of the parameters. So, that's where I figure I should start. Bilstein 6112's, top setting. The rest of the front stock. Rear Toytec shackles set at 1". Trd sway bar and ride rite bags at 5psi. It definitely only does it when the frt outside corner dives and only when it's turned in about 1/4 turn between 25 and 35 mph. I have asked a couple guys this already. Should I get a sequoia front sway bar. It's supposed to be quite a bit stiffer. Maybe that would limit the nose dive enough to not throw the computer into rescue mode, i.e. stop a slide.

Black Wolf likes this.
  2. Mar 17, 2017 at 10:43 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Amado, I'm not far from you. I've got to work tomorrow,5:30am to 10:30am. I could cruise up to Evergreen after and maybe you can show me what's up?

TheBeast and T-Rex266 like this.
  3. Mar 17, 2017 at 10:47 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    @Wynnded has the Sequoia sway bar if I remember correctly and it did make a difference. Not sure if it would help in your situation of course.

4. Mar 17, 2017 at 10:54 PM
    Joeshaker

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    Bilstein 6112/5160 trd sway bar and ride rite bags. Black and burnt orange wet okole seat covers.
    Matt, that would be badass if you would come and check it out for me! I'll pm you my number.

Black Wolf likes this.
  5. Mar 18, 2017 at 3:40 AM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    Hey Joe, at the beginning when you put bigger tires, was your Tundra dead level. Did you have a little rake. Just wondering, because I was just gonna go with 6112's up front and nothing in rear. I was told you want some rake, because if you don't it could mess with the Yaw sensor, which will throw off your computer (nannies). Don't know if this is the cause or ive haven't a clue what the hell I'm talking about. Just thought I would share what was told to me. Hope you get it resolved.

6. Mar 18, 2017 at 8:15 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    You in evergreen?

7. Mar 18, 2017 at 10:08 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    I'll say that it made a difference, but not as much as the rear sway bar. My truck has the stock suspension wheel setup, so there's not much to compare. There's the thought swimming around in my head that even if a Sequoia front sway bar kept the TRAC from panicking, you that may just make you want to take the corner faster and then you'd have the same thing happening.

Other thoughts:
    You (@Joeshaker) have made a lot of changes to your suspension. Lost of variables to consider when troubleshooting. After these changes, and just prior to the upgrade from stock tire size, it's possible that you may have been right at the edge of the acceptable values for the wheel speed sensors. The tire change may be what put them outside that threshold. FWIW, the sensors don't read the wheels or tires, they measure the speed of the axle rotation, from a ring on the axle, so I don't think that the tire change "wrecked" the sensors. In my mind, the logical thing to do, and this would probably be very time consuming and a royal pain, would be to start removing your suspension mods one at a time, do an alignment and ZPC reset and test drive to see which one is activating the TRAC with your desired tire choice. Another thought, and remember, that's all these ideas are, might be to trade ABS ECUs with someone, maybe @matluth if you two connect, and test drive. But I'm suggesting this without knowing if there are multiple ECUs that deal with TRAC/ABS/etc., where they're located, how accessible they might be, if they're compatible for different model years, wheel bases, etc.

It sounds like you have your work cut out for you, you're just going to have to go about it systematically changing one thing at a time. Just my 2¢, wish I could offer something more concrete.

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Mar 18, 2017 at 10:17 AM
    T-Rex266

Member:
  9. Mar 18, 2017 at 1:45 PM
    Joeshaker

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    Hey Sean, thank you for coming out and checking out my truck. Is was great to meet you. Just talked to discount and they already sent the nittos back and told me that there is no way they can swap them out again. So, I guess I'll just get the spacers for now. See if that does the trick and live with the little tires for now, get some miles out them. Then at some point I'll upgrade both the wheels and tires. Timing is everything, if I'd waited a couple days I'd still have the tires I wanted. Anyway, thanks again for helping me out. Tundras.com rocks!

Black Wolf and T-Rex266 like this.
  10. Mar 18, 2017 at 1:52 PM
    PermaFrostTRD

PermaFrostTRD Tumescent Member

Member:
    Northern NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax MGM Grocery Getter
    limited wannabe, suspension and tire improvements
    Hey @Joeshaker -I'm running 275/70r18 bfg at ko2's. e-rated Haven't had any trac control issues.

11. Mar 18, 2017 at 2:01 PM
    Joeshaker

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    @Sean266 and@ mattluth just left my place. They came all the way out to help me figure out my trac problem. After all this, with the new smaller tires that still have the blue crap on the inside Sean spotted what is obviously a rub mark. So it turns out that what I was originally thinking was correct. So, it looks like I do not have a trac issue.

12. Mar 18, 2017 at 2:02 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    I found the issue. He IS rubbing. We marked up the uca with a grease pen. Looks like the tire is hitting the knuckles. I verified rubbing by checking the underside of the tire and had fresh rub marks. Problem solved!

13. Mar 18, 2017 at 2:07 PM
    Joeshaker

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    Toytec is closed today aren't they? I want the spacers now. Guess I'll have to try to get by there on Monday after work.

Black Wolf likes this.
  14. Mar 18, 2017 at 2:07 PM
    nowayout

nowayout New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    NY
    Vehicle:
    17 CM
    All this drama and it was rubbing. I cant believe the tire shop couldn't figure this out.

Black Wolf, TheBeast and T-Rex266 like this.
  15. Mar 18, 2017 at 2:07 PM
    757TUNDRA

757TUNDRA Not a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Red Metallic Platinum 4x4
    OEM Bed Cover, OEM Bed Rail System, OEM Bedmat, OEM Doorsill Protectors, OEM TRD Rear Sway Bar, OEM Color Matched Door Handles, OEM Color Matched Mirror Caps, OEM Bed Net, OEM Driver Side Grab Handle, BFG K02 LT275/60/20, WeatherTech Digifit FloorLiners, Salex OCD Console Organizer, Salex Console Tray
    Nice work! Glad the issue is solved for @Joeshaker.

T-Rex266 likes this.
  16. Mar 18, 2017 at 2:08 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Good job Sean. Amado, you need to get your bigger tires back. They should have caught this. It's their fault.

T-Rex266 likes this.
  17. Mar 18, 2017 at 2:08 PM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    Wow!

T-Rex266 likes this.
  18. Mar 18, 2017 at 2:12 PM
    Joeshaker

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    Maybe I should talk to them about it again. What about going to a different discount. Sean, do you think the guys at the discount you use would be willing to help me out? Or am I stuck with the one I've been dealing with?

19. Mar 18, 2017 at 2:13 PM
    Joeshaker

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    Maybe with the spacers it'll look good enough for now.

20. Mar 18, 2017 at 2:17 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    Ya closed weekends. Get ahold of David on Monday. He's a good buddy of mine. He'll set you up

Possibly. Every shop is different. I used the one on 104/CO in Thornton. Only one I've gone to for any tires and wheels.

21. Mar 18, 2017 at 2:18 PM
    Joeshaker

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    Yep, all the drama and all the other guys and myself looking at it and it took Sean about 30 seconds to see the mark in the blue crap. The nittos didn't have the blue on them. But you would think there would have been some kind of marking on them.

Wynnded and T-Rex266 like this.
  22. Mar 18, 2017 at 2:20 PM
    Joeshaker

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    Yep, I'll call and talk to David on Monday. I think he's the one I talked to when I got the shackles.

T-Rex266 likes this.
  23. Mar 18, 2017 at 2:20 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    I knew from experience it was the issue. That's why I love this forum. Guys are willing to help anyone here. Hell, it's an hour drive one way for @matluth and I..forum member needs help? Let's do it.

Sci-Fi, Black Wolf, 757TUNDRA and 5 others like this.
  24. Mar 18, 2017 at 2:21 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    Maybe...but it'll look better with the bigger size. You won't regret it. You can always call another DT or put them on CL to help absorb the costs associated

25. Mar 18, 2017 at 2:23 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    A set of fresh eyes and specific experience FTW...

T-Rex266 likes this.
  26. Mar 18, 2017 at 2:38 PM
    Joeshaker

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    Yep, I saw it as soon as Sean pointed it out. Right where I was thinking it was, but nothing visible after 1400 miles on the other tires. Go figure.

27. Mar 18, 2017 at 2:43 PM
    Joeshaker

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    No doubt about Sean, I talked to Matt late last night and he was all over spending half his day to drive all the way here. You saw that this morning, probably dropped the things you had planned and got here before him! I'll be sure to return the favor if you or any other members need a hand!

T-Rex266[QUOTED] likes this.
  28. Mar 18, 2017 at 2:46 PM
    Joeshaker

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    Well, time for a break from the truck. It's time to figure out why our hot tub is tripping the breaker. Any hot tub gurus on here?

29. Mar 18, 2017 at 3:32 PM
    Joeshaker

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    I think I got the hot tub fixed, found a loose ground wire(factory, not the one I hooked up when I installed it.) I think I'll drive the truck again and see if the mark we found gets more pronounced. I'll let you know what it looks like when I get back Sean. I'll try to get a pic of it to so other members can see what we're talking about and what to look for.

T-Rex266 likes this.
  30. Mar 18, 2017 at 6:57 PM
    Joeshaker

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    Well, after driving it more and looking at everything I'm not convinced that the tire is hitting the knuckle or the uca.the knuckle and wheel are moving together and there's like 1.5" clearance where we are thinking it's hitting. The uca just pivots up and down. I think I'd be wise to pull the wheels off and check the torque on everything and make sure I don't have bad ball joints. A loose ball joint could allow the knuckle and wheel to move in and make contact under a load, but look like there's plenty of clearance when parked.

Black Wolf likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top