1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Revere Overland '22 Tundra Build

Discussion in '3rd Gen Builds (2022+)' started by RevereOverland, Mar 2, 2022.

1. Mar 26, 2022 at 7:35 AM
    RevereOverland

RevereOverland [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Limited TRD OR
    Yes. I'm averaging between 14-15 mpg indicated. After adjusting for tire size, it's closer to 15-16 mpg.

2. Mar 26, 2022 at 9:27 AM
    Red13

Red13 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5 Crew Max TRD Off Road Army Green
    Thank you. Great video

3. Mar 31, 2022 at 7:26 PM
    RevereOverland

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Black Wolf, in_the_mud, HMNYC and 2 others like this.
  4. May 21, 2022 at 10:06 PM
    YotaBro

YotaBro This forum will make me broke

Member:
    First Name:
    Calvin
    FL
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Grey Tundra TRD PRO
    Lots of shenanigans.
    Welcome to the forum I was following your YouTube channel for a while

5. Jun 24, 2022 at 8:37 AM
    RevereOverland

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    It's time for an update! Actually it's past time for an update. I've put the full build details as the truck stands on the original post.

The most obvious change to the truck is that it's now blue. I had it wrapped by Adventure Motors, in Kansas City. This is the third truck they've wrapped, and by far the brightest (the other two were quicksand and a close match to cavalry blue). The main wrap was Avery's light blue, which is a really close match to blue flame, as seen on the Rav4 and Corolla. We did satin black for the wing mirrors, chrome window trim, chrome rear bumper, and the B pillars.

So far the wrap has held up well to limited abuse. Some scratchy scrub in California and a lot of close trees in British Columbia weren't able to damage it. It actually seems to be affected less than the paint underneath was.

DSC09951.jpg

6. Jun 24, 2022 at 8:43 AM
    king.cong.1119

king.cong.1119 New Member

Member:
    Great stuff, keep up the good work, if you ever in the east coast, hit us up for an offroad adventure.

RevereOverland[OP] likes this.
  7. Jun 24, 2022 at 9:06 AM
    RevereOverland

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    We've also kitted it out with all of CBI's current offerings. The only things left are rear bumper and a fuel tank skid plate.

On the front is their Baja front bumper. The bumper is made up of two main parts, which helps make the install easier. The winch cradle goes on first, allowing you to attach and wire up the winch before putting the main outer part on. This saves you having to lift everything all at once and then trying to wire up the winch from inside the bumper. To fit the outer bumper you will need to do some cutting!

The bumper is designed to retain all of the factory sensors and camera. The radar works perfectly, but I did have problems with the parking sensors on this prototype; apparently they were pointed down a little too far, so were triggering by the ground. I had the active air dam on this truck too, so have a warning that pops up on the dash because it had to be removed. Apparently CBI has a fix for that coming very soon.

DSC09864.jpg

The winch is the Warn Evo VR12s, and I've added Factor 55's Ultrahook in orange... It matches the theme! The bumper takes a 30" light bar in the middle, then two pods on either side. I traded in my Heretic Studio lights and the bumper cutoff (they're going to use it as a display) and add their amber light bar, two amber Quattros, and two amber BA-2s. It's been really nice having the winch, since I can now more comfortably travel alone or take on snow. In just 5 weeks I used it 6 times. Two of those were for me getting stuck in snow on one trail!

One of the biggest problems I had moving from a 4Runner to the Tundra was the breakover angle - I was terrified of bashing up the rocker panels. To protect them, I finally have some rock sliders from CBI! The sliders are bolt on. A few bolts go directly into threaded holes on the frame, and a few more run down the back of the frame rail. Underneath we added the Overland skid plate set, which completely covers it from the front through to the transfer case.

On the back we switched out the CBI cross bars for their roof rack height bed rack. That finally allowed me to move the entire tent forward, so it no longer looks goofy hanging off the back. The bed rack is solid, and I really like all of the accessory attachment points on the sides. One of the small details that helps are small hoops along the base inside the bed which are perfect for ratchet straps. Because the bed rack is the exact same height as the roof rack, anything you want to overhang them both will need to be raised up to allow for bed flex. I ended up flipping the cross bars on the bed rack to raise the tent a little. Unfortunately the crossbars are fractionally too deep for the iKamper V2 and V3 mounts, so I had to buy the V1 mounts from a local store. I let CBI know, so hopefully that's something they revise in the future.

DSC09854.jpg

Finally, there's the CBI ditch light brackets. So far all of the ditch light brackets I've seen for the Tundra look like someone took some U brackets, cut the windshield trim, and slapped a massive price tag on them. These are the first ones I've seen that look like they're designed for the Tundra. They bolt in easily to the hood bolts and take a couple of minutes to install.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    Metro14536, Black Wolf and Wallygator like this.
  8. Jun 24, 2022 at 9:23 AM
    RevereOverland

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Probably the most subtle change was the suspension, but I'm really glad to have it done.

Originally I had the Westcott Designs 3/1" lift, but with the weight I added and rough roads I travel, it just didn't cut it. There's still not a lot available specifically for the '22 Tundra, and I was after some high quality suspension components. Thankfully, Adventure Motors had it figured out. They found components from other lift kits currently available that worked perfectly with the Tundra, paired them with some in-house designed drop brackets for the sway bar and some brake line extensions, and created their own kit.

The front is made up of Fox 2.0 coil overs with Pro Comp UCAs, and the rear has Dobinsons MRRs and Dobinsons panhard bar. The springs were all selected for the extra weight that I've added, and the ride is SO much better! I don't bother airing down as much anymore, and love the adjustable rear shocks. They make a big difference - I soften them for rough roads, then tighten them up for paved roads. The only thing I'd change is to add the adjustable front when it's available.

DSC09911.jpg

9. Jun 24, 2022 at 12:30 PM
    EAK

EAK New Member

Member:
    KY
    Vehicle:
    ‘15 White 1794
    BAMuffler 8” SS Bilstein 6112/5160 Icon UCAs
    Nice build. Tastefully done but looks very capable.

RevereOverland[OP] likes this.
  10. Jun 24, 2022 at 1:09 PM
    PapaDave418

PapaDave418 A Dude who knows a Dude

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen Limited TRD
    37’s—PullKitchen--KB Voodoo Rack & Full Ext Cargo Tray
    Dont use the mounts for iKamper, use a carriage bolt and drill through the rack to lock nuts. It’s more secure than mounts and lowers the height of the tent down to the aluminum extrusions rails. I used 4 plates that the carriage bolts sat in to grip the iKamper extrusions. Since you bought the 1.0 mounts you can reuse one side of those plates

11. Jun 25, 2022 at 4:26 PM
    RevereOverland

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    I'm not sure I understand. It already sits directly on the tent's aluminum extrusion rails, but the bolts currently go down either side of the rack's cross bars rather than through it.

12. Jun 25, 2022 at 4:42 PM
    PapaDave418

PapaDave418 A Dude who knows a Dude

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen Limited TRD
    37’s—PullKitchen--KB Voodoo Rack & Full Ext Cargo Tray
    I guess more of a valid point if you hadn’t already purchased the V1 mount. Those mounts require both sides to stay tight and mine came loose so I opted for the single larger bolt as I mentioned.

13. Jun 25, 2022 at 4:46 PM
    RevereOverland

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Gotcha!

PapaDave418[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Jul 6, 2022 at 8:25 PM
    NMTRUCKER

NMTRUCKER 1794 Army Green (4x4), ORP, deposit 30 May 2022

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Cloudcroft, NM
    I guess if you had the digital rear view mirror then the bed rack at roof height would block the rear view mirror camera (or is it mounted on the tailgate)?

15. Jul 6, 2022 at 9:26 PM
    RevereOverland

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    I believe it would block it.

The regular mirror works fine, but the camera for the digital is up by the brake light.

16. Jul 6, 2022 at 11:57 PM
    xtyfighterx

xtyfighterx New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Crewmax Mid Travel
    Mid travel fox 2.5 coilovers 2.0 real shocks shims 295 70 18 trail grapplers pro accessories 32in light bar blacked out bed cover sway bar Moto metal 970 18x9
    Is that factor 55 hook magnetic? Curious how it stays In place on the fairlead like that. Thanks you

17. Jul 6, 2022 at 11:58 PM
    alb1k

alb1k Always Coming From Take Me Down

Member:
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    05 2WD DC w/ attitude
    It's good
    Just line tension.

xtyfighterx[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Jul 7, 2022 at 5:24 AM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    Truck looks awesome. Curious what the weight of the truck is now with all the modifications.

Red13 likes this.
  19. Jul 7, 2022 at 7:45 AM
    RevereOverland

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    You just tighten the winch down to hold it.

Thanks!

I’m not sure. I should have it weighed. It’s probably approaching GVWR.

Products Discussed in

To Top